Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  08:11:29  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. The forum is cluttered to hell, a lot of it needs archiving, not least to save the pointless ressurection of threads most people wish would disappear. Especially those threads where there has been some sort of trouble people all want to know about after the event. Lock them away, seriously.

2. Unsticky those threads that aren't relevant, again it's all clutter and it's just a tidy up job. What do I mean? I mean
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13589 <- moment has passed and rubbernecking will continue if allowed.
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12018 <- you're not using your volunteers anymore, sling it.

I don't even think the reviews and the IRC thread have any relevance anymore. And this is just Gen Chat, I'm sure a quick glance in the other forums will show stickied threads from a bygone era that are just taking up space now. Even in this section, we're all having a good old laugh at everyones expense with the T shirt and badges threads, really we are.

3. DB. I'm not doing any more of these threads and I am not adding any more information until some people stop dicking about and some others pull their fingers out their arses. I'm pretty tired of adding shit that gets removed without a word of warning and doing threads for albums which are now old but non existant as far as the database is concerned. I don't know who is deleting the additions but it really is annoying the living fuck out of me now. You guys know I added stuff, if you didn't like it you only had to say. I refer again to the SMYT blurb which I was actually asked to add. And did so, three fucking times. Only to find it keeps vanishing.

4. The main page, yes that old chestnut, but seriously look at it, it's ugly and outdated. I know you're busy people but set aside some time, it is your forum after all, and it's giving a really bad impression. What was the point of all the time spent getting together a new look if it's going to be let down by the front page? Whats the point of being probably the most informative FB site out there if the picture is wrong and outdated?

5. The day to day. This is weird, because it's all Brian right now, and he's spread well thin. No one expects the moderators to be on board the whole time but with three the bases should be covered. Dean is out of action with the travels and has been for a while and as Dave often tells us he is busy so why on earth would you not delegate some responsibility when you knew this was coming up. It is your forum so take some damn pride in the running of the thing. We have spammers and trollers and all sorts of crap slipping in and out but any emails I send it feels like they are falling on deaf bloody ears. There is a percieved double standard, especially after what happened with the thread that was deleted, moderation and power position only when it suits. Some valid points were bought up and either ignored or fobbed off.

There is a swiftly growing apathy, which is a shame, but probably easily remedied.

I feel like I am repeating myself here.

-
Master of Science

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  08:37:34  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ps. Thanks Denis for updating the tour dates.

-
Master of Science

Edited by - starmekitten on 12/06/2005 08:39:04
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  08:43:07  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's all in a days work for... Tour Dates Page Update Man!

Denis

"You know what? You know what? You know what? Shut the fuck up!"
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  08:48:45  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
*swoon*

-
Master of Science
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  13:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i vote Tre be added to the illustrious team of moderators.

didn't Dave once say he liked the idea of adding a female moderator?

Edited by - floop on 12/06/2005 13:43:33
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  13:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave owns the server this place is hosted on, right? Would he be interested in selling?

"Quit shouting those rerun songs at me! I'm doing what I want to do, and I don't care what you think you need!
—Play that song 'Jesus is the Answer'!
—Come up here on stage and play with my balls."
--Wesley Willis Vs. a Fan
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  02:51:04  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bloody hell Kitten, well said!

I wondered why the Database threads came to an end, now I know why.
But why someone would want to delete your work is beyond me.

I hope whoever it is realises every effort made by the forum members is for the benefit of this site. The only reason is to make this place up-to-date and worthy of the name Frank Black. This is his official site.

And it's more than just the forum. We're the face and voice of Frank Black on the World Wide Web.
I think it's now time we started acting like it.

Jedi's thinking is the solution but maybe wishful. Shame.
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  03:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ach mann, I was really looking foreward to more rounds of db-thread fun. Thought they were maybe suspended until the end of the christmas season, when life gets back to normal somehow and people aren't that stressed out.
The db-threads (and of course the database itself) are to good a thing to let die like this.

And of course apart from just beeing fun, they might be a good way of getting some discussion about real FB info going, and by that maybe getting back some of the juice and life that the forum once used to have and that is now badly missed by some.

The will (and sometimes even the need...)to discuss the meaning of fb-lyrics is there, just look at the threads about calistan, john the revelator and hostess with the mostest.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  07:41:17  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with most of your (Tre's, that is) points, although the first one sounds a bit 1984-ish. To be fair, though, you ARE just talking about ARCHIVING the old threads, not erasing them, right? The phrasing of "lock them away" just rubs me the wrong way, as if you're saying, "We can't let people know that anything BAD ever happened on this forum," but that probably wasn't your intent.

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  08:44:16  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm talking about archiving but I also meant getting them out of the way for ressurecting, it's a desperate day when people have to drag out these threads beause they have nothing new to talk about.

Floop, way to sell me out to the man there, no!

-
Master of Science
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  09:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm back in the realm of the Northern America and I'm sure you'll start to see changes around here soon... obviously I should still be considered out of commission until my life is back on track. Phones, get my car working, get replacement credit cards, bank card, insurance, get ready for work next week, catch up with friends/family, etc are going to have to get sorted first.

As for why I didn't prepare adequately, I thought (wrongly) that I had with the appointment of a new moderator to replace me, but I suppose that was unfair to Brian to assume he'd spend the same time I had been (which was too much) and to you guys, too, and I apologize. Further, it is easy to see in hindsight that I hadn't had enough replacements for me (I was hoping Dave would be here more, too) but at the time it seemed fairly adequate.

As I say, I'll be getting down and dirty restoring this forum very soon, I promise. But if I'm to delegate, I WILL need help. So if you are interested in doing something by all means I'd love an email. In the meantime, patience, please... remember that we're not getting paid for this and DO have lives.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  12:16:36  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i try to put in as much time as i can, but with work picking up, i can't put in 3-4 hours a day like i was during the whole 'no photos' period. i think w/ deaner back in the fold and hopefully a new mod or two in the future, we can clean this place up.

also, i simply don't get as many 'hey brian, this thread is fucked up' emails to alert me to stuff. i try and read as much of the forum as i can, but its not possible. so if you guys see something, let deaner or i know. i don't know what dave's availability is, so i'd say to be safe just email dean or myself.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  14:28:55  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ladies, it wasn't really directed at you guys, it's not your site. You pair work your whatsits off (when not trecking round the world losing all your belongings or buying cute dogs) for the love of the site (or the love of the power, maybe, haven't got that figured).

It seems to me that people complain and it's always you two picking up the flak, which strikes me as wrong.

I go on and on, I know, but I think sometimes things need highlighting and highlighting again.

-
Master of Science
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  17:05:35  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i didn't think you were being negative tre. i just defend myself a lot. my girlfriend calls it a 'self-esteem issue.' i call it 'sorry honey don't break up with me, i can never do better than you.'

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  17:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Tre (great thread btw) and/or Kathryn would be great moderators! I think some estrogen would be a good thing. I would also like to nominate OMIACC and FBC, and Fumanbru. Of course Floop and Homer would be great too, but I am assuming they have been offered and passed along in the past.

What might help to back up the mods is having one or two people that will be here 3-4 hrs one day a month.

So for example the 7th of the month OMIACC and I might hang out here and help the mods. We'd have permission on those days to do what the mods do like lock spam threads and make the calls that other mods do.

Think of it as the Neighborhood Watch of FBF.

If would work like work, so if I couldn't make my shift, I would have to find a replacement or get docked. If you miss two shifts you're outta here.

Maybe we could come up with a cool title like Hall Monitor or something

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 12/07/2005 17:31:08
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  17:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or, maybe you should just mod me.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  03:30:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neighbourhood watch/'hall monitor' is a cool idea, but since it's kind of impossible for me to turn on/off moderator abilities like that what might be easier is if there were a 'report thread' button. In the meantime, as always, if you do see a thread requiring moving/deleting/more severe action, sending an email to either Brian or myself will certainly help us.

I'm not sure about shifts, _I_ wouldn't even want to make that serious of a commitment, but perhaps if I get emails regularly and they are accurate (i.e. they don't recommend locking where not required) then those are people I'd put up as 'hall monitors' as a stepping stone to moderatorhood...

Thinking............... zzzzzz.

Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  05:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would make sense to have a moderator based in Europe to cover the time difference, and I echo the call for a female moderator.

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  05:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Llamadance

I echo the call for a female moderator.

How about floop then?

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  06:17:20  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
<chortle> Yeah, a European is next on my list exactly for that reason. I won't choose someone because they are female, just based on competence. Though I do have someone in mind who happens to be female, so it's a moot point anyway I guess...

In the meantime, I've started a little bit of a list of what Dave, Brian, and I need to get done. Here it is in cleaned-up form...

Main Site Todo list:

1) Latest Album. I'd like it to be Honeycomb and with a link to either more info on it, the song db, or else a place you can buy it.
2) New Poll. I've already started a topic asking about this... see here: http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15065
3) News. Brian should be a news editor soon (he was supposed to be a long time ago)
4) Band Bios. I'm going to get working on these and if I don't have some new ones by next week, I think I'll spin them off to another member.
5) Gigography. Just colours changed is all really. I wouldn't mind seeing it ordered from newest to oldest as well instead of chronological, but that's up to Gavin.
6) Tabs. Waiting on Derek to get back to me re:Honeycomb tabs.
7) Tribute Albums. I'll get these up on a website where they can be downloaded ASAP. Also would like to create a sampler (ala Hey) for You Ain't Me. Not interested in a new tribute album at the moment. Maybe after Christmas. Also, the Hey b-sides page needs to be posted.
8) Song DB. Investigating. Honeycomb missing, etc.
9) Photo Gallery. Not working at all.
10) Links. I'd like to get these sections up as well as a Pixies link section. May spin this off to a volunteer to keep up to date.
11) Friends' Club. Looking into this.
12) Colour scheme matching forum.
13) Forum archving. Threads de-stickified (I've done a few already). New FAQ? Do we have more to add?

Things I'd Like To See:

1) Article DB. With all articles/coverage of fb archived and searchable.
2) Ideas of your own?

To De-sticky:

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13589
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6739 - If we remove the photo gallery, this can be removed too.
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4772
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5349
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6881
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7019

Other:

Investigate the status of Everything English's legality here. They are once again selling Pixies merch:
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4190

So that's a quick point form list with only some of the things I'm hoping to get done. I forgot the 'report a thread' button in there, and any other ideas are welcome.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  07:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl
Of course Floop and Homer would be great too, but I am assuming they have been offered and passed along in the past.

i've never been asked to be a mod actually. i know it might sound crazy, but sometimes i get the feeling that Dave Noisy doesn't like me
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  08:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can't we de-sticky everything other than the faq and posting guidelines?

tre and cheesy would both make good mods.

i am sitting here observing my emotional discomfort.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  08:17:00  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do spend an inordinate amount of time on the internet...

But that would mean not getting into stupid arguments with egotistical industry types? No way.

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  08:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ack simo we do that everytime I log onto msn...;)

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  08:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

quote:

How about floop then?

I actually typed out that joke with you in there, then erased it :)

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  10:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

How about floop then?

I actually typed out that joke with you in there, then erased it :)

You see my point? There's no way I'm mature enough for this.

Now excuse me, I'm off to moderate floop's mum.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now excuse me, I'm off to moderate floop's mum.

i thought you were a virgin
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  12:03:11  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that a requirement before attaining moderator status these days? That's pretty tough.

Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  12:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding volunteers, it seems Carl is the link-meister these days.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  18:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but that's easy!!

"Join the Honeycult!"
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  19:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you use that google newsletter thing to send you new articles with "pixies" in it?

Edited by - PixieSteve on 12/08/2005 19:31:10
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  01:43:12  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, he just reads everything that's on the internet. You know the site, Ask Jeeves? Well, that's Carl.

I have a remark to make about the news page. I've never understood why we'd wait for official confirmations by Ken Goes or whoever before posting news. We're not an official site, so why only post official things that often get a proper press release weeks after the news are spread. I think we should post more news (actually, I'm trying to find examples but nothing comes to my mind... Yeah, the Comes With A Smile mag featuring Atlantis, for instance. Or the tidbits of info on "Nashville 2" that we get from Tivo or anyone else).

Denis

"You know what? You know what? You know what? Shut the fuck up!"
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  06:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do rely on Google Alerts for Pixies news, but you have to trawl the net for site links!

"Join the Honeycult!"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  08:18:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I generally will/would post anything coming from someone like Jon, and yeah, just because news is so dead I may have to resort to posting rumours. If you/anyone does see a newsworthy rumour on the forum that I overlook (for example, I'm not to sure about this Comes With A Smile thing) then let me know.

Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  09:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comes With A Smile is a British music mag with tasteful cover CDs. Issue #19 features Frank on the cover and "Atlantis" on the CD.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14496

"Quit shouting those rerun songs at me! I'm doing what I want to do, and I don't care what you think you need!
—Play that song 'Jesus is the Answer'!
—Come up here on stage and play with my balls."
--Wesley Willis Vs. a Fan
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  11:00:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, checking it out now...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000