Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  13:52:10  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
its asking an awful lot for this catchy little ditty to be the harbinger of a new era in Pixies genius. I wouldn't put too much stock in it one way or the other, given its transitional nature. I happen to think it fits perfectly into their b-sides collection and I am loving it as such. Its not a new album though. That will be the real deal. No pun intended. And on that note I think you cannot discount the kiss-and-make-up nature of the first song being a Kim-song. Just a little aperitif before the meal.

In short: keep it in perspective.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  14:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
people, can we muster a little gratitude here?

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  14:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gratitude? for what?

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  14:20:43  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zsolt G.

but to me it sounds like "Pixies Learning How to use pro-tools" Very amatuerish. That organ solo is SO out of place that it's funny. People seem confused about the title but "bam" and "thwok" are commonly used in comic books as sound effect sounds. The Batman TV show is a good example. All this being said. I still had fun listening to this!

mmm interesting post
your go at the title is good, Batman had lots of Bams in it, with horns doing the sound.

pixies discovering pro-tools?
have you ever paid attention what Kims and Franks
opiniona about this programs are?
I read and heard lot's of interviews were Kim declares she is
absolutely against pro-tools, she even tried to make a new analogue scene
with a logo and all, the All Wave scene, the logo is on Title TK.
Frank has also a thing with computers (quote: I'm not against computers I just don't co-operate with them, or words of that kind),
he records all his catholics albums analogue, even live on 2 track, go figure.
I highly doubt Bam Thowk was recorded and mixed with pro-tools or any other software recording programs.
I even think it was done analogue, but I'm not sure about that, maybe peter radiator or anyone else with more technical knowledge could provide us with more info about that.

The song doesn't sound very amateurish to me
on the other hand, and I have to be honest, is the production not my favourite. One album of it wouldn't do me good.
the organ part sounds cool with it, exactly how you say: out of place, but cool.

Edited by - billgoodman on 06/16/2004 14:21:48
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  14:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fb was recording digital multi-track stuff a long long time ago, on self-titled (and i'm sure most of the later pixies stuff). i think they're perfectly familiar with the digital recording world.
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  16:11:33  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay my house was struck by lightning on Friday and my internet connection has been down since then. Just got it back up and...

WTF? New Pixies song!

Okay the first time I heard it I was a little skeptical, because it is a little silly. But then again, it's catchy. The song is actually pretty good, but it just makes me hungry (VERY HUNGRY) for more material.

This song is like an appetizer in the meal that is hopefully the new pixies album.

The joke has come upon me
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  16:12:43  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh by the way iTunes lists it as the #2 most downloaded song today. I never thought I would see the Pixies at the top of any charts (except in the U.K., maybe)!!!

The joke has come upon me
Go to Top of Page

the thing
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  16:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would appear that the Bam Thwok backlash has begun....

They played it on Radio 6 earlier in the day, and I have to admit, I was actually nervous, I mean all is good in my own wonderful world of Pixiesness, but what if, when exposed to the light of day and actual radio play. I needn't of worried, and even up against Radio 6 generally quality playlist Bam Thwock really stood out as a stunning track.

Realistically can you imagine a harder task than releasing this first track? It was always going to piss some people off, and elate others, but even placing my self in the camp that would happily listen to Frank and Kim gargle toothpaste water while Joey flosses and Dave cleans his ears, their must be some good reason why I find this track hard to stop playing on repeat for 10-15 minutes a day.

How does lemur fur, reflect the sea? Someone should do tests
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  17:00:48  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The song is great and catchy and will only increase their fanbase. One mate whose a non-Pixies fan loved it because "It's not as depressing as some of their other stuff" (he obviously hasn't "got" the Pixies). It is more Last Splash/Amps/Teenager of the Year than classic (1987-89) Pixies. But it's a perfect slice of pop. Give them a break! But I guess for the Surfer Rosa/Doolitle Pixies-purists, everything else the Pixies and their respect outfits produced after these albums wasn't up to standard anyway. You can't please everyone. At least its given Kim a chance to redeem herself after the very average Title TK.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  19:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!!! This is so amazing! Thanks Prozacrat for starting THIS thread!! Just finally downloaded the song and listened to it for the first time!! Wow it rocks...all the awesome elements of old school Pixies with a new layer of very cool sopistication. This was an awesome treat...had some surgery the day this came out and today was the first day I felt good enough to download it... this is helping me to feel great right away!!!! The Pixies still have it! Keep the tunes comming! Are they already playing this on the radio??? Hope so...it's the best song in ages! Whopee!!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 06/16/2004 19:25:16
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  22:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG I listened to this song on my Ipod and it sounds so awsome and I think Frank Blacks backup vocals make it even cooler!

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

kottke
- FB Fan -

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  23:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This song is a great piece of ass. It is not a simple song compared to most tunes on the rock scene. It has some funky tempo changes and Joey is in blistering atmospheric form. Jeez! Will you listen to that guitar go! So unique and refreshing. And Bam Thwok's lyrics fit right in with the cosmic flavor in the Pixies catalogue.

Then again, I really appreciate almost every single one of their songs. I have always been an all-the-way-through-with-no-track-skips CD listener. But I am sure there are people who are lesser fans of the Pixies that do not like this track. That's cool, and I wonder if they could expand their view of what music the Pixies make and learn to dig a fresh track? Or will it always be, "This new stuff is not as good as the older stuff"?

It's inventive. It's rock. It's the Pixies.

"Give me white ground to run"
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  02:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"It's inventive. It's rock. It's the Pixies."

So True, as for kissing the pixies collective ass that is shit talk. I hear this as a cool ramones style 3 minute punk throwaway tune, possibly as a way of relieving tension with themselves and fans, a relaxed release which will hopefully pave the way for more tunes. They know every move and sound they create is being scrutinised so fuck it throw in an organ solo and throwaway lyrics, and let's not be uptight and anyway i think after a couple of listens it actually is a very cool song.

P.s what has Kim doe that makes her immature, is it the lyrics? Or what?
Go to Top of Page

eebee
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  03:20:34  Show Profile  Visit eebee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey after 'take me out' by franz ferdinand its the best indie pop ive heard all year

LINE6 Spider II 112. Any amp. any tone. many effects. needs to be sold this week UK
Go to Top of Page

Nightsoil
- FB Fan -

46 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  04:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Nightsoil's Homepage  Reply with Quote

is it just me that is becoming aware of an anti-kim sentiment?

If it does exist - and I think it does - wtf is the reasoning?

Straight out, cup-your-balls mysogeny?
Too much tartrazine?
Not enough time to relax? What?

Immature?! Let's stick her in a yashmack at the back of the stage and collectively tut, tut at any sign the band might actually be ENJOYING themselves.

Or am I talking cock myself?
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  04:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nightsoil wonders whether there exists an anti-Kim sentiment. My two cents worth: I've long noticed that guys either worship her or put her down. Your typical (and uncreative) mysogenism, where women are either lusted after or hated. We female fans think she's alright. We don't want to fuck her and we don't negatively scrutinize her every move.

That said, from the photos I've seen of the tour she looks as if she could use some moisturizer. Maybe when I finally see the Pixies in the fall, I will get a chance to offer her some!

Edited by - kathryn on 06/17/2004 04:57:58
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  05:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Kim's wonderful. But I think that she writes better songs for herself, and the Breeders, than she does for the Pixes. Even 'Gigantic' was practically written by Charles, aside from lyrics.

But hey, first song in ages, and after a few doubts, I like it even more with each listen.
Go to Top of Page

Mad Lucas
- FB Fan -

Australia
142 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  05:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kim Deal is, and always will be a godess, a musical genius, and a great personality.
After hearing Bam Thwok on JJJ Radio today after school, I can conclude that it is a great song, though not as great as a few previous works, it does rank highly.
If effectively a 'warm up' song like this can be so good, I can't wait till they get their groove fully up and running.
Of course the new songs won't be like their early ones. They are coming from completely different universe. However it is easy to see that the Pixies Four are a combination that can't be anything other than great.

Oh, if you don't like Bam Thwok, listen to it a bit more. Great songs never catch your ear sraight away, but you'll be listening to them 12 years down the track ;)

Jesus was a sailor, when we walked upon the water.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  05:16:33  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
man, i just wish i could hear the damn song!

damn no computerness.

You Know You Want To!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  05:51:31  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

fb was recording digital multi-track stuff a long long time ago, on self-titled (and i'm sure most of the later pixies stuff). i think they're perfectly familiar with the digital recording world.

yes digital multi-track ok
but pro-tools? I'm not sure floop
they seemed pretty against it in the past

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  08:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

man, i just wish i could hear the damn song!

damn no computerness.

You Know You Want To!

Benji, my friend, check this out:

http://forum.FrankBlack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8360

I am trying to find a legit way for us non-mp3 users to finally get an earful of BT.

Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  09:06:26  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by floop

yes digital multi-track ok
but pro-tools? I'm not sure floop
they seemed pretty against it in the past

I haven't heard anything about them being against it. I'd be interested to read something about it. As far as I knew they hadn't worked with Pro Tools or anything very similar, but I didn't think that made them anti-Pro Tools. There are lots of mediums my band hasn't worked with, but that doesn't mean I'm against them. Of course, I may not know something others know, which would really make me sound like an ass, or at the very least uneducated in the subject.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  09:12:01  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Lucas

How good would Prozacrat be feeling, after starting THIS thread?!

Jesus was a sailor, when we walked upon the water.

I'm feeling quite content knowing I did my duty as a devout fan. Pretty neat getting to break the news to all y'all. Though it doesn't really matter who started it. Just that it WAS started. And we have nobody but the Pixies to thank for that.
Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  09:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got it right Mad Lucas. I have not yet heard this song, but what was everyone expecting, "Where is my Mind" part two? Do you not remember how the music of all three bands has evolved and changed in the past 13yrs? And when asked are we going to "kiss the pixies collective ass for any piece of shit they put out?" Duh, isn't that what we are hear for? expect in the case of havalina and velouria(sp).
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  11:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've listened to it about 20 times trying to form an objective opinion. And in the end......I like it a lot! But definitely in a quality B-side kinda way. I agree with someone who said it reminded them of the 'I Can't Forget' vibe (which is my fav Pixies's cover - does anybody know when it was recorded btw).

And on this Kim Deal sub-story - I think its great she's singing/wrote this song. I met her once in a shop in Dublin buying cigarettes around the time of the Amps and she was really sweet!
Go to Top of Page

woodworm
- FB Fan -

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  13:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i love kim

lets give her a break, shes not someone that writes as much as frank does.
Go to Top of Page

kottke
- FB Fan -

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  20:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The organ break is great. Most bands don't even go that direction of 'absurd'. That's why I like it. They did not create the solo, but they had that moment of, "why not?" which I appreciate in their music.

The lyrics are interesting to me. There's not a lot of them, as in, yes they're sparse, and I'm OK with that. That's Kim's style with the Pixies, for sure.

Lyrics aren't what makes a song anyway. They add to the music, not the other way around. (Otherwise spoken word poetry would be more popular, right? Not that I don't like poetry, but we'll hear a lot more 3 minute instrumentals before we hear 3 minute vocal solos.)

p.s. What's with the sentiment of 'let's not analyze the music'? Isn't this is the site and topic to do that? I love talking music. A lot. Bring it, baby!!!

"Give me white ground to run"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  00:15:59  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Article About The Breeders:

Analog mindset
The recording sessions for Title TK marked the birth of The Breeders’ “All Wave” philosophy, an all-analog approach to recording that arose out of bad experiences with the now pervasive Pro Tools digital recording software. “Instead of sampling the band, the engineer will create a sound using Pro Tools, a brand new sound, so all the music is coming from him and his computer,” Kelly protests.

“The only thing that’s natural is the vocals, and even that’s pitch-shifted up and down. I think that’s not a good thing. You can tell it’s digitally created. You can hear it’s been corrected. I want to hear the drummer slow down at the end of a track because he’s tired. I want to hear the vocalist who’s been screaming their ass off. I want to hear their voice get hoarse. I like that in music. I like emotion—and the other stuff doesn’t have much.”

one more:
And it's all "All Wave," all the time. Every bit of processing, every squawk of noise, is the result of the vibrations of vocal cords and various other cords and objects picked up magnetically. Just as Kim wanted it, no foolin' with Pro Tools and beat boxes.

Frank Black:
It’s a personal thing. I’m not a mega-star, but I have the satisfaction of… me and my band… yeah, we played that. We didn’t assemble a facsimile of a performance with 10,000 edits. The recording process is pretty anal now. It has been for a long time, but now it’s really easy to be super-anal. With computers, people are using modern technology to be creative, but everyone’s really playing it safe. It’s about getting on the radio when only 10 guys get play on the radio. Everyone’s a nervous Nelly… too serious, too much of a high-stakes money game. I get satisfaction out of saying "I played the damn thing. You and your little band of lame-ass haircut beautiful boys, you didn’t play shit on your record." I’m being cynical…

Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  02:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Everyone’s a nervous Nelly… too serious, too much of a high-stakes money game. I get satisfaction out of saying "I played the damn thing. You and your little band of lame-ass haircut beautiful boys, you didn’t play shit on your record." I’m being cynical…"

Thanks Bill, that quote just brightened up my day no end. Trust Frank to hit the nail on the head.

PS is he quoting Flanders at the start or what?
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  05:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The song is mediocre stuff which I was surprised at until I read that the whole thing was an impromptu thing using one of Kim's old carry-around songs. Nothing to get nervous about. Old Frankie has still got the goods if he decides he wants to write Pixies tunes.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  06:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"You and your little band of lame-ass haircut beautiful boys, you didn’t play shit on your record."

Frank said that? That's fucking great. The voice of sanity, ladies and gentlemen, the voice of sanity!

Go to Top of Page

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  09:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quotes Bill, I'm totally with you about FB and Kim definately carrying the torch for analogue recording. Title TK and the Catholics records are very "live" sounding. However, and I don't really know much about audio, Bam Thwok has the kind of sound quality which I accredit to bedroom computer music recording. I could be wrong of course. The cut and paste of the organ solo also adds to this "feel" for me. Whatever. Obviously they caused more of a stir with this song than they thought they would. I'm sure it was just to test the waters to see if they should record some proper tracks. Lets hope they do. This reunion seems pretty fun so far.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  10:16:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think it's the test the waters thing

Go to Top of Page

EnglishGeezer
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  11:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the song is pretty damn good, if a little too catchy. That bit just after "Bam Thwoka woka" when Frank goes "Aaaaaahh" keeps going around and around in my head. Anyway the song is top of the i-tunes download chart so thats an acheivement.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  12:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh, Frank's vox do indeed sound wicked.

Kim's still got a great voice, hasn't she?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000