Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  09:02:39  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

By the way, Golem almost got voted out a couple rounds ago but now has managed to sneak through unscathed for the last couple of votes and is not even being mentioned anymore. Very interesting.

Yeah I expected Golem to get the boot awhile ago. Personally I’m glad to see it survive this long. I find it to be fascinating, well produced, and well executed (the “rock album” cut of it anyway.). I really enjoy it. Far more than NSE for sure!

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  09:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

By the way, Golem almost got voted out a couple rounds ago but now has managed to sneak through unscathed for the last couple of votes and is not even being mentioned anymore. Very interesting.

Yeah I expected Golem to get the boot awhile ago. Personally I’m glad to see it survive this long. I find it to be fascinating, well produced, and well executed (the “rock album” cut of it anyway.). I really enjoy it. Far more than NSE for sure!

Totally agree with everything you said.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  12:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NSE for me. EDF can't save it. I find it hard to believe he's on it actually. And besides Indie Cindy has Ring the Bell.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  00:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

Totally agree with everything you said.

Agree and agree! Don't want to put a jinx on it but surprised Christmass hasn't been mentioned. Bit of a weird album with a mix of live and studio tracks. I kind of dismiss live tracks as you can find them anywhere or on other albums but that means
(in theory) most people must hold the studio tracks in high regard. I know I do. The last Frank Black album.

A mix of the fleshed out fully completed tracks from Abbabubba and Christmass would be a great album.

Anyway, for this round think will agree with NSE. Some good moments but anytime I hear the first half of 'Wheels' I think I'm listening to Liam Gallagher and get a bit put off. A lot of potential on the album leading up to it with live performances, especially Dead Man's Curve but the final take wasn't nailed.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  01:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Early polls:

NSE - 4

Indie Cindy - 2

Pistolero - 1
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  03:39:21  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That Pistolero vote is a damn shame! Can’t believe it would pull a vote before Cult of Ray.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  03:54:03  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think Pistolero was the first FB&TC album I listened to. Pretty sure I liked it.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  04:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was gonna say Ray but got it on right now and I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far

Golem out (again..)
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  05:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember buying Pistolero the day it came out and being floored by the first 3 tracks. Even listening now I still think it is up there with the best 3 opening tracks from any album in the discography. The rest ain't bad either. Somebody mentioned to me recently the similarities between Billy Radcliffe and Alec Eiffel. I hadn't noticed that before, anyone else hear that?
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  06:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Agree and agree! Don't want to put a jinx on it but surprised Christmass hasn't been mentioned. The last Frank Black album.

Several tracks are credited to Black Francis
To me Christmass is part of the Bluefinger - Svnfngrs era
Kind of Pixies 1.5, tracks that could have been released with Kim, Joey, Dave

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  08:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think I've ever actually listened to Christmass in full. I obviously know and love the original songs (Radio Lizards, DGMW, Demon Girl and She's My Way are all fantastic) but that's through YouTube. Pity he didn't get to work on a full-length album with Mark Mulcahy.

Edit: along with Reid Paley, whose contribution I shouldn't ignore.

Edited by - The Maharal on 01/26/2019 08:05:16
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  11:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point sdon as Christmass was released after FM/RM but before BF (BlueFinger synonymous with Black Francis?) and best of FB 93-03 (btw why hasn't there been a best of 04-14?) so probably more of a BF album than FB, or metamorphosis from FB to BF.

I hoped for a full FB and Mark Mulcahy album too. Their styles together are so interesting. I probably mentioned before in another thread that I met Mark Mulcahy after a Miracle Legion show a couple years back.

He probably wondered what this drunken Scotsman was on about but I was saying how I had seen Scott and Dave with the Catholics back in 01.

He was very humorous and met each fan at his merch stall. When I mentioned the Catholics he kind of bluffed and was like 'I know, what were they doing with Frank Black right?!' probably knowing the fan base is on both sides. He did GIVE his band to FB after all, that is a huge gesture.

For those that don't know (I'm presuming everyone knows) Mark Mulcahy's wife died in '08 I believe where the likes of our Frank, Michael Stipe, Thom Yorke, Dinosaur Jr, Mercury Rev, The National and loads others contributed to a cover/tribute album to help with the costs of raising his family.

Anyway, what an amazing artist he is, all his albums are phenomenal (Joey played on a track from the album In Pursuit of Your Happiness) and Mark opened for Pixies in the past (along with playing on same billing as Pixies and Pere Ubu in '88 or '89 - what a show that would have been!) I hope they collaborate again. Also check out Polaris from the Adventures of Pete and Pete of Nickelodeon fame in the 90's - more awesomeness!

Edited by - Stevio10 on 01/26/2019 11:35:47
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  11:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ps Reid Paley is great. Revival is fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  19:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christmass is excellent but I would not have been surprised to see it voted off by now
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  04:20:32  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Christmass is excellent but I would not have been surprised to see it voted off by now

It's on deck for next week for me. Unless NSE somehow makes some kind of miraculous last minute comeback and I have to vote for it again.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  05:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Monday morning update:

NSE - 4

Indie Cindy - 2

Pistolero - 1

Golem - 1
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  23:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to vote for NSE last week so I guess I'll vote for it now
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  01:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NSE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  02:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voting closes tomorrow.

NSE - 6

Indie Cindy - 2

Pistolero - 1

Golem - 1
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  03:09:03  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah well. Suppose something's got to go.

I listened to Golem the other day, 1.5 times. I thought it was alright, once I managed to overcome my aversion to the saxophone. It reminds me of FMRM a bit. I particularly like the bit where BF starts growling like a monster. Whole album is worth it just for that bit.

I wish I'd bagged myself a signed copy of this at the time, I would have if I'd had the money.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  04:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And as we prepare for the inevitable burial of what might be Frank's strangest album, feel free to revisit the pitchfork review from April 5, 2010.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14097-nonstoperotik/

Edited by - Bedbug on 01/31/2019 05:02:56
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  12:33:22  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Christmass. Easy choice for me this week.

Go to Top of Page

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  17:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, glad I found this before it was too, too late. Thanks for organizing!

Caught up on the first 7 pages today....got to unload a few thoughts

Sorry to see Paley & Francis go first. I like that album, especially Curse and Praise (Paley and Francis, Curse and Praise, hmmm....)

I love Bagboy. To me its the only 2.0 song that sounds like a 1.0 song. Not that I want 2.0 to try to sound like 1.0...2.0 sounds like 2.0 and that's cool. But when I hear Bagboy, I think "that's a proper Pixies song". When I hear Ring the Bell, I do not think that

32 albums listed and I own 31...all expect SSMVGD. I guess I had better get on that!

I vote for Indie Cindy. Greens and Blues is great, but I listened to NSE today felt like the not-as-awesome songs on NSE are stronger than those on Indy Cindy. Plus NSE has one of my favorite BF lyrics that always makes me giggle inside: "The lights were bright...for working out."

Edited by - Neptune on 01/31/2019 17:05:42
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  17:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And as we prepare for the inevitable burial of what might be Frank's strangest album, feel free to revisit the pitchfork review from April 5, 2010.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14097-nonstoperotik/

Kind of weird how the reviewer has nothing but nice things to say about the album but gives it only a 6.6. No references to the lyrics or themes of the album, either, but Pitchfork has always been kinda hack (that one Coltrane review is making the rounds online again and I laugh out loud every time I think of it).

I'm sad to see NSE go. I'm casting my vote for Christmass.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  00:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voting Golem

Christmass is the shit, I love it so much. The versions of Living on Soul and Dead Man's Curve are the best. Gyaneshwar, Demon Girl, Radio Lizard are tunes of very fine taste, not bloated productions.

Hi Neptune, I too think Bagboy is quite special in the 2.0 era, but I feel Boom and Oona belong there

--

Edited by - sdon on 02/01/2019 00:50:01
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  05:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voting closes every Friday. As I mentioned before, I'm sorry that I don't necessarily tally the votes at the same time on Fridays... maybe I should?

The final tally for this round (Round 9) is:

NSE - 6

Indie Cindy - 3

Pistolero - 1

Christmass - 1

Golem -1

sdon and johnnyribcage, you both voted NSE in round 9 (on January 25), so I'm assuming your votes for Christmass and Golem (mentioned just above) are to be applied to round 10?

In any case, this is how it is for this round. Nonstoperotik has been stopped and round 9 is in the books. What will happen in round 10?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  05:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, forgot to put this:

Gone:

Paley and Francis
Let the People Speak
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
Snake Oil
Petit Fours
One More Road for the Hit
Abbabubba
Oddballs
NSE

Still surviving:

Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle
Bossanova
Trompe Le Monde
B-Sides
Frank Black Self-Titled
TOTY
Cult of Ray
Frank Black and the Catholics Self-Titled
Pistolero
Dog in the Sand
Black Letter Days
Devil's Workshop
Show Me Your Tears
Honeycomb
FMRM
Christmass
Bluefinger
SVN Fingers
Golem
Indie Cindy
Head Carrier
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  05:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neptune

Awesome, glad I found this before it was too, too late. Thanks for organizing!

Caught up on the first 7 pages today....got to unload a few thoughts

Sorry to see Paley & Francis go first. I like that album, especially Curse and Praise (Paley and Francis, Curse and Praise, hmmm....)

I love Bagboy. To me its the only 2.0 song that sounds like a 1.0 song. Not that I want 2.0 to try to sound like 1.0...2.0 sounds like 2.0 and that's cool. But when I hear Bagboy, I think "that's a proper Pixies song". When I hear Ring the Bell, I do not think that

32 albums listed and I own 31...all expect SSMVGD. I guess I had better get on that!

I vote for Indie Cindy. Greens and Blues is great, but I listened to NSE today felt like the not-as-awesome songs on NSE are stronger than those on Indy Cindy. Plus NSE has one of my favorite BF lyrics that always makes me giggle inside: "The lights were bright...for working out."

Welcome Neptune, glad to have you.

I love bagboy too!
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  10:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we've nearly filtered out the dross (that sounds sooo basic eh?) but we still have COR & Honeycomb in my bargain bucket. But gonna take a couple days to mull them over. Might even listen to them if I can get away from Head Carrier.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  13:47:27  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Well we've nearly filtered out the dross (that sounds sooo basic eh?) but we still have COR & Honeycomb in my bargain bucket. But gonna take a couple days to mull them over. Might even listen to them if I can get away from Head Carrier.

COR is one of those few FBF albums that no matter how many times I spin it, it just doesn't do much for me. At its best, it's decent. I think it's just kind of over baked and over thought. Like everyone was trying too hard or something.

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  14:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that's interesting, cause I always think they were'nt trying hard enough!! I get a real that'll do vibe listening to it (a couple of track excepted).
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  14:55:39  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Well that's interesting, cause I always think they were'nt trying hard enough!! I get a real that'll do vibe listening to it (a couple of track excepted).

I think what I mean is trying too hard to be weird, witty, or creative. The quirkiness feels calculated and forced instead of just naturally weird as his stuff typically is. Maybe it's all pretty calculated but it doesn't come across that way most of the time to me. Which is of course what being a creative artist is all about. The best come across as effortless, no matter what goes into it during the sausage making process.

Examples of this are the in-your-face lead guitar on The Marsist (otherwise a great track). It's like... too much. "Hey! this is a weird song, so check out this really far-out soloing!" Kicked in the Taco, both the lyrics and the delivery, again come across as really forced humor. I'll spare you a song by song break down and opinions are like assholes of course, but almost every track has at least one or two things about it that bug me and drag it down, at least a little. I'm sure I'm missing something about the whole album that others get.

That said, I'm pretty sure I've read an interview or two that Charles gave kind of implying he and the band (recall, this is a Catholics record basically, just not going by that name yet) felt like they over did it in the studio and killed the songs.

...which was why he and the Catholics said fuck it and abandoned overdubs and the standard approach to making albums in the studio used by almost everyone since the mid 60s in favor of live, straight to 2 track, resulting in the stellar albums that followed. Definitely the single ballsiest way to do a record.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 02/01/2019 14:58:30
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  20:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m gonna go with Indie Cindy again (for right now)

If you’re looking for an album with either “trying too hard” or “not trying hard enough” look no further
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  20:28:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indy Cindy. The most mediocre of all Pixies albums titles. I don't care if it's got Greens and Blues on it.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  23:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Round 10, voting Golem, yes

--
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page