Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  08:54:12  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Golem then
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  11:39:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Neptune

I believe the writing may already be on the wall for the eventual 1.0 vs FB showdown if we can't even get rid of B-Sides before gems like Ray and Honeycomb. Now we're talking about Golem and Pistolero...!

I mean, I like B-Sides, but at this point it's past time to put The Thing In Heaven

Voting B-Sides

Amen. B Sides for me too.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  01:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voting closes tomorrow, so get busy living or get busy dying.

Current tally is:

Pixies B-sides 4

Black Francis Golem 3

Frank Black and the Catholics Pistolero 1

Frank Black and the Catholics Show Me Your Tears 1
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  05:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voting out B Sides.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  07:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
B-sides
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  12:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Either Pistolero or Golem for me. Going to listen to both again this week and then decide.

And the answer is ....Golem
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  14:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I vote B-sides so Golem can stay. You’re Gonna Pay for voting against it!!

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  23:09:46  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The opposite of this.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

-----------------------

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  02:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

-----------------------

I Think (You're) Starting To Lose It
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  03:47:36  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And down the stretch they come, it's B-Sides blazing ahead with Golem turning to clay and falling behind now!...

Speaking of Golem... did anyone see this? looks like it just came out. Trailer looks interesting enough to give it a go https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_golem_2019

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  04:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a testament to just how good 1.0 is, the B-sides made it all the way to Round 14. But alas, we bid them farewell.

Now on to round 15. What's gonna happen?

Gone:

Paley and Francis
Let the People Speak
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
Snake Oil
Petit Fours
One More Road for the Hit
Abbabubba
Oddballs
NSE
Indie Cindy
Honeycomb
Christmass
Cult of Ray
B-Sides

Still surviving:

Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle
Bossanova
Trompe Le Monde
Frank Black Self-Titled
TOTY
Frank Black and the Catholics Self-Titled
Pistolero
Dog in the Sand
Black Letter Days
Devil's Workshop
Show Me Your Tears
FMRM
Bluefinger
SVN Fingers
Golem
Head Carrier
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  04:58:42  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm voting Golem again. Golem revenge for b-sides! >:-(
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  05:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going with either Show Me Your Tears or Head Carrier. Going to listen to both this week. Actually, might also consider voting SVN Fingers.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  05:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Devil's Workshop
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  06:54:14  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SVN FGNRS! :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

They played Into The White on Radio 6 today, haven't heard it ages. B-sides is such a solid album on it's own..
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  14:38:27  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have 4 in mind, but I’ll need to listen to them all before making any calls. It doesn’t get any easier from here folks!

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  10:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

They played Into The White on Radio 6 today, haven't heard it ages. B-sides is such a solid album on it's own..

I do love SVN Fingers, but it's short and doesn't have the best The Seus in my opinion.

Show Me Your Tears is the weakest Catholics album in my opinion, would be curious to hear those who disagree.

Head Carrier, while less compressed to my ears than IC, has the same problems of low energy and lack of getting me to listen to it again and again and again.

I'll probably make a decision in the next day or two. Gonna try to listen to all three in a row tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  11:21:04  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SVN FNGRS is a work of art like Golem. I bought it for 10 Euro from the tour table and I own a fake AAA pass to the tour even though I was AAA pass on the last night of the tour in Europe. The last time FBF has ever played a solo gig in Europe to this day (as far as I know)

So leave it out mate?

I'll offer you a "still more than 7 albums" to go SVN FNGRS Golem vote pact. We both agree to vote tactically together against the voting out of either album, using a mututally agreed tactic. If no tactic can be agreed on then we agree to both vote for our elected albums.

I just stabbed myself in the fucking hand today, by a knife in the kitche I left upside down and now my First Finger (going from left to right) my pinkie is cold and hurts, so I'm physically wounded fingerly as well.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  13:48:41  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by pot

I do love SVN Fingers, but it's short and doesn't have the best The Seus in my opinion.

Show Me Your Tears is the weakest Catholics album in my opinion, would be curious to hear those who disagree.

Head Carrier, while less compressed to my ears than IC, has the same problems of low energy and lack of getting me to listen to it again and again and again.

I'll probably make a decision in the next day or two. Gonna try to listen to all three in a row tomorrow.

It's getting hairy quick around here!!!

I'm getting closer on my decision, although I'm really stuck in a different headspace the last couple days as I've had the new Claypool Lennon Delirium album South of Reality on heavy rotation (super off topic, sorry, but check it out - it's phenomenal).

That said, SVN still has a few others to go before it for me. It's cool. I love that it's just a punchy upper cut of an EP. But it is basically an EP and I'm totally with you on The Seus. I actively dislike the version on SVN, but I really dig the Charles Normal remix.

Still though, I can't believe SVN even made an appearance in this discussion with some of the ones still left on the board... flabbergasterizing.

Edit: I'll maybe save the FB&C discussion for when we get to that point. Those are going to be brutal days, where the men are separated from the boys. I see them all almost as equals, but if I were forced to rank them, Tears and DW might shake out near the bottom.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/09/2019 13:51:16
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  00:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

SVN FNGRS is a work of art like Golem. I bought it for 10 Euro from the tour table and I own a fake AAA pass to the tour even though I was AAA pass on the last night of the tour in Europe. The last time FBF has ever played a solo gig in Europe to this day (as far as I know)

So leave it out mate?

I'll offer you a "still more than 7 albums" to go SVN FNGRS Golem vote pact. We both agree to vote tactically together against the voting out of either album, using a mututally agreed tactic. If no tactic can be agreed on then we agree to both vote for our elected albums.

I just stabbed myself in the fucking hand today, by a knife in the kitche I left upside down and now my First Finger (going from left to right) my pinkie is cold and hurts, so I'm physically wounded fingerly as well.

Ouch, sorry man about your finger, hope it heals up soon and completely.

I hear you re: your attachment to SVN. I'm not much for the "pact" thing, but regardless I'm probably leaning toward SMYT more than anything else this round.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  01:51:06  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Ouch, sorry man about your finger, hope it heals up soon and completely.

I hear you re: your attachment to SVN. I'm not much for the "pact" thing, but regardless I'm probably leaning toward SMYT more than anything else this round.

Finger's fine, wound hasn't leaked at all and I only needed to use plasters for about half a day owing to the fact there's not much blood flowing there. Lucky I didn't sever a vein or a nerve though!

I now have a fashionable prison scar on my knuckle that I can use to impress chicks and potentially ward of attackers.

Pact offer is still there, think about it huh?

Edited by - pot on 03/10/2019 01:51:33
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  02:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve never actually watched the Survivor TV show so I don’t know how the pacts work.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  02:49:54  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me neither. I didn't realise there was such a thing.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  01:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Golem. And I'll keep voting for it until it's gone!

I really like SMYT, his best country album and the last great album before 2.0. Band was smoking live on that tour too.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  05:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stumbles in "we've made a mistake! Oddballs and Christmass till the end"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  05:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it turns out after listening to SMYT all the way through this morning it is proving more difficult to vote against it than I imagined.

I've got to listen to SVN Fingers and Head Carrier on the way home, and then I'll probably decide between one of those.

Although...… I could see myself voting against FMRM. Lots of great stuff but lots of stuff I skip from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  06:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, the Monday update so far is:

Golem - 2

Devil's Workshop - 1
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  06:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Head Carrier.

It was between that and FMRM. There's definitely a fair bit of FMRM I could live without but I'd probably take the highs and lows of that record over Head Carrier. I actually prefer hearing the Head Carrier tracks out of context of the album. I find listening to the whole thing from start to finish is a weirdly underwhelming experience.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  07:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Active Duck

Head Carrier.

It was between that and FMRM. There's definitely a fair bit of FMRM I could live without but I'd probably take the highs and lows of that record over Head Carrier. I actually prefer hearing the Head Carrier tracks out of context of the album. I find listening to the whole thing from start to finish is a weirdly underwhelming experience.

I have this exact same opinion regarding IC. IC is a much, much better album if you listen to it in reverse order.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  10:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Active Duck

Head Carrier.

I have this exact same opinion regarding IC. IC is a much, much better album if you listen to it in reverse order.

Voting for Head Carrier too, I prefer Indie Cindy to it. Head Carrier probably has the better singles (Um Chagga Lagga, Talent, Tenement Song, Classic Masher) but I think Indie Cindy is the stronger album. Maybe Head Carrier needed another song?

It's weird, I think Indie Cindy starts out really strong (forgetting the EP's) wobble 's around Bagboy then finishes on a flourish.

It's hard to find a bad Catholics album and FM/RM has really grown on me - I put it down to the Golem growing on me and then going back to FMRM and hearing the Duane Jarvis influence on that album that is so prominent on Golem.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  13:56:18  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I gotta pile on Head Carrier.

Head Carrier for me.

Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  14:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Head Carrier
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  22:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't Ya Rile 'em, Time to Go lem

Voting Golem
Then it will be SVN

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2019 :  03:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After listening to my nominees for week 15 I have decided to vote off Head Carrier.

SMYT, SVN, and FMRM are all better for repeatedly listens.

Update is as follows:

Head Carrier - 4

Golem - 3

Devil's Workshop - 1
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2019 :  04:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't it 5 votes so far for Head Carrier? (Bedbug, danjersey, johnnyribcage, Stevio10, Active Duck)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000