Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  11:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Incredible bass line and I much prefer the studio version to the live ones - it has more 'texture'. Pleasantly more than surprised!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  11:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://loudwire.com/pixies-beneath-the-eyrie-album-on-graveyard-hill-single/
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  11:44:59  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

https://loudwire.com/pixies-beneath-the-eyrie-album-on-graveyard-hill-single/

The podcast is no longer called "Past is Prologue" then? It's now "It's a Pixies Podcast"..
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  11:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Incredible bass line and I much prefer the studio version to the live ones - it has more 'texture'. Pleasantly more than surprised!

Totally incredible bass line from Paz

But personally I prefer the thicker rounder live versions

https://youtu.be/jHiHOcgIUNM?t=180 (Knoxville, 9 Mar 2019)

and especially this one in Philadelphia 18 Mar 2019 :
https://youtu.be/9_FCbYnRiDg

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  12:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, It's a good, fun, rockin' single to start off the album cycle. I like it.

Some thoughts:
- I love the manic overdubbed vocals from Charles. They add a lot of character and stop the song sounding too flat. More Pixies 2.0 songs could have done with these kind of additions.
- I'm less keen on the way Charles sings the 'Hour' part of "In the witching hour". It sounds real ragged and flat(?). Someone online described it as 'weak/damaged' which I'd agree with. That to one side it's a good performance by Charles.
- The rhythm section is real tight and catchy. Good work Paz & Dave.
- The synth at the end it ace. Hope to see more of it throughout the album.
- Joey's lead work is very reminiscent to 'Head Carrier' which I felt to be a little formulaic. That's not to say I don't enjoy it - It's a sweet formula!
- It's hard to describe but the "There in the witching hour, in the witching hour" feels real like a predictable turn songwriting wise. Anyone else know what I'm saying?
- The rhythm guitar sounds less compressed & muddy than on the last 2 records. This lets down some of my favourite 2.0 songs ('Um Chagga Lagga', 'What Goes Boom'...) so it's nice to see this improved! Things rock that bit better now. The rhythm guitar really adds to that 2nd verse too.
- There's less compression all round, which is great. It's at an acceptable level for me here.

Overall it's a big thumbs up by me.

Edited by - jake3 on 06/03/2019 12:23:30
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  12:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

Same song picpic
Listen to the live ones, so powerful

--

picpic

This live version has the best drums (that sound like actual drums) and the 'witching hour' part is great (on the studio single, Charles sounds out of tune). Also Joey is louder in the mix here
https://youtu.be/jHiHOcgIUNM?t=180 (Knoxville, 9 Mar 2019)

and this one in Philadelphia 18 Mar 2019 has the best bass sound I think
https://youtu.be/9_FCbYnRiDg

--
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  12:28:19  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's the 2 minute intro all about: is that maybe track 1 on the album?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  12:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took me a while to get into this, but clicking nicely by Play #7. Is there two bass lines on the the second and third verses? I pick up a little New Order vibe.

Feels lighter touch compression than HC.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  13:17:26  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah the whole “weak and damaged” vocals thing, I’m not seeing it. It’s just another in a long like of interesting vocal affectations he’s developed. In other words, it sounds like that on purpose, rather than him not having a choice or something. You could argue the success or coolness of it, but it’s gotta be intentional.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  20:30:55  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He's been doing the whole "weak and damaged" vocal thing since day one.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  20:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't this affected voice what someone called the "cookie monster"?

Choruses are very well produced / rich and balanced, that's a good surprise

Not liking the cheap hand claps in the "2nd intro"

--

Edited by - sdon on 06/03/2019 20:39:29
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  22:43:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Could be. Or the "captain caveman".

I tend to identify the weak and damaged vocal style more with the likes of Levitate Me and Bailey's Walk (although Bailey's has both)

I'm going to listen to On Graveyard Hill again today.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  23:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha! Captain Caveman, what a classic!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  23:32:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Ha! Captain Caveman, what a classic!

You never know, Captain Caveman may have been an inspiration?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  23:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure thing, Cavey and Frank are two 80s icons.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  06:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really dig Paz's bass tone.

Also, hi to anyone who remembers me. It's been a minute.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  06:14:48  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, and it's over $30 to ship the vinyl to the US. That's absurd.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  06:26:46  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

- Brian

It is indeed absurd, but that's just the deluxe version. If you just want the vinyl you can etch it in stone there will be an album-only LP release available everywhere.

I also suspect they may eventually figure out an option for US buyers of the deluxe version, but that will be some horseshit if they figure it out AFTER folks have already ordered and paid for the shipping from Europe.

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  06:36:02  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome back btw, Broken Face.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  06:37:09  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

- Brian

It is indeed absurd, but that's just the deluxe version. If you just want the vinyl you can etch it in stone there will be an album-only LP release available everywhere.

I also suspect they may eventually figure out an option for US buyers of the deluxe version, but that will be some horseshit if they figure it out AFTER folks have already ordered and paid for the shipping from Europe.

To me, the version with the bonus disc is worth, let's call it, double the usual vinyl cost. Add in a bit more for clear vinyl, a booklet, and CD, and $66 sounds a little high, but fine. But adding $33 bucks to that for shipping is ridiculous.

I have to say, not to be a grouch, but since the EPs were released, the Pixies merch has been quite overpriced, and not of the sort of quality (not musically, but physically) I'd hope for that price. My Head Carrier came in almost a week after available in stores, with no MP3s on date of release. That's ridiculous.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  06:50:11  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

- Brian

To me, the version with the bonus disc is worth, let's call it, double the usual vinyl cost. Add in a bit more for clear vinyl, a booklet, and CD, and $66 sounds a little high, but fine. But adding $33 bucks to that for shipping is ridiculous.

I have to say, not to be a grouch, but since the EPs were released, the Pixies merch has been quite overpriced, and not of the sort of quality (not musically, but physically) I'd hope for that price. My Head Carrier came in almost a week after available in stores, with no MP3s on date of release. That's ridiculous.

- Brian

I'm with you... it's a sign of the times though, particularly for vinyl. I've been collecting vinyl since the early 90s and have somewhere around 1300 LPs and 300 45s at this point. I love it. And to an extent, the vinyl resurgence has been good in that more and more hard to find albums are being repressed from quality sources by plants that know what they were doing. It was dodgy there for awhile, but getting better all the time.

That said, prices are through the roof these days. And that's the tradeoff. It's NUTS what is being charged for vinyl these days. Sometimes there's a deal, but I regularly see double LPs for $50. That's a lot to shell out. I built the bulk of my collection before things got crazy, mostly used original pressings. These days there is no way I would be able to afford to build the collection I have now. No way in hell.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  07:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe explain this to a man, but the bonus songs are not going to be in streaming format?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  07:19:44  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty blown away that we are getting 9 new songs (demos but really...who cares? a song is a song) with this album...but being I don't have a record player and can't afford the deluxe vinyl anyway (even without shipping), I am hoping those demos show up somewhere...Or if they made it into a double CD I would not hesitate to buy it.

Does this mean those 9 songs are not going to be on an album? It seems very odd to give songs away like that, but similar to what Frank did with Abbabubba or Christmass, where these were the final versions of many of the songs that we got.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  07:27:11  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

I'm pretty blown away that we are getting 9 new songs (demos but really...who cares? a song is a song) with this album...but being I don't have a record player and can't afford the deluxe vinyl anyway (even without shipping), I am hoping those demos show up somewhere...Or if they made it into a double CD I would not hesitate to buy it.

Does this mean those 9 songs are not going to be on an album? It seems very odd to give songs away like that, but similar to what Frank did with Abbabubba or Christmass, where these were the final versions of many of the songs that we got.

I'm sure at SOME point they'll come out, and I'm sure that there will be less reputable ways to grab them, too.

I think I'm just going to buy the vinyl at a show eventually and save on the shipping costs.

Is this what responsible adulthood looks like?

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  10:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dalgety probably used his best compressor on those demos. (With his usual evil grin.)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  10:54:01  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dalgety's Compressor is a good title for a song by a post-Pixies band of the future
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  11:00:08  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

- Brian

FYI, shipping to France is €23 (I think that's around $25). It seems only UK buyers can get affordable postage.

Hey Brian!

Denis
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  21:13:50  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling the demos are what the band did around February of 2018, I remember Paz instagramming that they were “raw and feral”.... that has me more excited than anything else about the album. Let’s get the band in a room without a ton of fuss and production. And Dalgety may not have even really touched the demos if they were done before the proper album sessions...
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  00:27:30  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why don't they just release a CD box set version at a reduced price (and shipping cost). It's a different world, the record industry these days; talk about inflation and having to pay for our own distribution.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  01:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't even mention if the vinyl comes with a DL code. Just get rid of all those shirt options and make all the content available to buy in sensible formats. Keep the extra content away from the streaming platforms and they'll get more sales :/
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  01:48:33  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Btw guys, the new model in distribution these days is a combo of standard releases w downloads, etc and exclusive and/or deluxe limited releases. It helps build hype, and goes a long way towards helping the expensive units sell out. It’s more common all the time. Bands aren’t making money off of physical sales or downloads anyway, it’s all about building hype and conversation to get people out to see shows. Live performance is where the majority of artists make money now, along with merch sales at those shows.

If they create this big elaborate box with vinyl and extra goodies (demos), but then release it all in another format, they are much less likely to sell out their run of the box, particularly if people just want the content and maybe care less about the bells and whistles. It may sound counterintuitive but it’s true. It’s one of those “everyone’s doing it” kind of things. It sure is working for the Grateful Dead. Granted it’s a little different for them, but they are still touring in a sense. And they probably ARE making money on their physical sales. They’ve perfected the model.

Now I’m not defending or promoting or anything, just trying to answer the “why.” It’s just how things are done these days.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/05/2019 01:53:36
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  02:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but then build and sell a box that will sell to the majority of your audience? They can make a big luxury box, stick a 2nd cd in it and still charge £££
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  02:21:29  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

Yeah, but then build and sell a box that will sell to the majority of your audience? They can make a big luxury box, stick a 2nd cd in it and still charge £££

Well, like I said, I’m not defending it. I’m sure there is some advanced marketing and business analytics behind it. The Dead routinely release entire shows or sets of shows on limited edition cd and box sets, never to be released again.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  02:32:44  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Btw guys, the new model in distribution these days is a combo of standard releases w downloads, etc and exclusive and/or deluxe limited releases. It helps build hype, and goes a long way towards helping the expensive units sell out. It’s more common all the time. Bands aren’t making money off of physical sales or downloads anyway, it’s all about building hype and conversation to get people out to see shows. Live performance is where the majority of artists make money now, along with merch sales at those shows.

If they create this big elaborate box with vinyl and extra goodies (demos), but then release it all in another format, they are much less likely to sell out their run of the box, particularly if people just want the content and maybe care less about the bells and whistles. It may sound counterintuitive but it’s true. It’s one of those “everyone’s doing it” kind of things. It sure is working for the Grateful Dead. Granted it’s a little different for them, but they are still touring in a sense. And they probably ARE making money on their physical sales. They’ve perfected the model.

Now I’m not defending or promoting or anything, just trying to answer the “why.” It’s just how things are done these days.

Ken like.

The thing is, a few decades ago/before the advent of the internet and streaming it was fairly normal for bands to make a LOT of money through album sales. Now they don't make so much money because of the immediate availability of music and online piracy.

As a photographer who makes almost nothing by comparison on my work, it's suffice to say that technological innovation has also impacted on the profession these days as well. Now everyone has a state of the art camera on their phone and noone needs to buy prints anymore because you can get a quality dye ink printer for about £50. I have a collection of photography that 30 years ago would probably have made me a decent living. Now "professional" photographers are ten a penny.

How much would a band like the Pixies make by just bringing out an album in the normal way nowadays, available in record shops or online downloads? Probably still a fair amount.

How much earning is commensurate with the amount of work gone into making an album?

I'm just saying: the time when bands could get the right exposure, become famous and turn themselves into millionaires overnight should be considered a time of good fortune. If bands can still pull that off then good on them, but it shouldn't be expected. Maybe they should make a bit more than they do and people shouldn't steal their work but there should be no place for avarice. There are lots of good bands these days, some more well known than other and they all deserve to make a fair living off their work.

The art world is full of people who make nothing out of their work (especially these days) so if you can make anything substantial then you should be grateful.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  03:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hence the “grateful” dead.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: