-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 New Pixies album thread

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
picpic Posted - 12/08/2017 : 01:43:03
So, let's compile the current rumors

- According to some interviews (often Paz), a new album is in the works
- Someone on this forum supposedly heard that the Rockfield studios in england have been booked in early 2018
- Charles said to some journalist last year that he'd like his next record to be produced by both Dalgery and Norton

As for the songs, nothing new on the BMI catalog, but there's still many unreleased "new" songs in the list. We already know some of them as official/unofficial demos/raw versions or short live snippets (Super Lecker), but not all of them.

ALICE PRIN	                14843364
BANKS OF THE DRAIN	        14843409
LAND OF GREEN	                14843908
LAST NIGHT THE WOLVES CAME OUT	14843911
O LITTLE CLOUD	                14844131
PICKEREL PICKER	                14844189
RATS ALIVE	                14844230
TRANQUILIZE ME	                14844508
DOWN IN TOULON	                20616476
I LIKE TO DRIVE	                20616992
SUPER LECKER	                20617959
AMERICAN RHYME	                22096890
BOGMAN	                        22096929
SCREW PINE	                22097414

___
"Service Unavailable"
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
johnnyribcage Posted - 03/18/2019 : 11:40:02
These new songs are really promising. Sounds like 2.0 is starting to hit their stride. I mean, I really enjoy IC and HC for the most part, but both still feel like ramp-ups. Like the first 2 albums from a really promising new band that is getting ready to unleash a string of excellence.

I hate to say it, but I must... let us all pray they donít whiff on the production. No auto tune. No heavy handed mastering. Especially on the snare drum, which shouldnít sound like a distorted bass drum amped through a blown speaker. Really hope they just set the mics up, recorded the takes, and did the minimal tweaking / compression / limiting necessary to make it sound great.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
yarbles Posted - 03/18/2019 : 06:59:58
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

Awesome -- thanks, I joined the group. I love that they make you a pass a "no kim, no deal" litmus test in order to join haha

So how does that work exactly? Am not on FB, just curious.

It's a private group, so in order to join you have to request to become a member of the group. In order to weed out trolls/spammers/fake accounts etc, the admins ask a number of questions to see if first of all, the person is a real person, and second of all that they at least know who Pixies are. The "No Kim, No Deal" question is mostly a joke I think, but it also keeps those people out who constantly troll the official Pixies page with the annoying "No Kim No Deal" comments on everything new the band does, coming up on 6 years after Kim quit...

Once you're approved, you can see everything that's posted, and you can comment and like any of the posts there. People share videos, make posts about specific albums/songs/etc, lost of people post pics/vids from Pixies shows they attend, some will even live stream entire concerts to the group. Last week someone streamed the entire Madison Square Garden set.

There's almost 5,000 members and it keeps growing. Very nice group of people. A couple band members are also part of the group, Joey and David are for sure... pretty sure Charles isn't, Paz might be. Kim definitely isn't.
johnnyribcage Posted - 03/18/2019 : 03:50:29
Re: Selkie Bride... Only Charles knows what his inspiration was, but my guess is it isnít really about a person, rather one of his folklore / historical musings. It appears to be a rather unambiguous take on the classic tale, told from the protagonists first person perspective, but maybe there were more inspirational layers. Who knows.

If you already know this, disregard, but for others - Selkies are a female Scottish folklore character, like a half human half seal that lives in the water around the islands. Their main storyline is being kind of forced into a relationship with a human when said human steals the swlkieís seal skin. Now a prisoner and forced to be a human (human form, she hides) the human then marries her and holds her captive, with her hidden skin as the ball and chain basically.

Sprite Posted - 03/18/2019 : 03:26:25
quote:

Awesome -- thanks, I joined the group. I love that they make you a pass a "no kim, no deal" litmus test in order to join haha

So how does that work exactly? Am not on FB, just curious.
yarbles Posted - 03/17/2019 : 18:32:37
I'm wondering if Selkie Bride is referring to Violet... the song Selkie Bride came out after he was already with Violet. It was brought up in another thread on the forum, but Violet recently made a post on Facebook saying that she and Charles are separating. These songs have dark, edgy, angsty vibes to them, and this one in particular sounds like an angry break up song. (I'm done with talking to you, and I don't want to be true). But who knows, just fanboy speculation here.
Stevio10 Posted - 03/17/2019 : 11:51:11
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by jake3

quote:

Probably my imagination but I thought I heard the term "Selkie Bride" in San Nazare.

Probably a glitch in the software

I thought the same thing.

I think he says ďI went down on the Selkie Bride.Ē

Sounds challenging.

Also sounds like a mashup of Honeycomb and NSE.

This song is so good, really hoping they donít muffle it like they did with the production on Baalís Back.

Any thoughts on who the Selkie Bride is? I always thought it was a reference to his first wife Speedie Marie as it was from around the SMYT divorce era, but now I'm not so sure.

Maybe it's just a reference to the mythical selkie creature but I find it interesting it's popped up again.

Anyway, enjoying the song and also hope the studio version isn't ruined.
TheScooper Posted - 03/16/2019 : 10:00:41
yarbles Posted - 03/15/2019 : 19:55:51
quote:

What is the FB group linked up thread? It says content not available. Is there a Pixies fan page I'm missing out on?

Yeah, it's a private group called Pixies and Frank Black Francis. Request to be a member and you'll get approved and then you can see the link and everything else going on in there. Really great group of people.
pixie punk Posted - 03/15/2019 : 12:28:05
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/15/loudquietloud-can-the-pixies-break-into-the-podcasting-world UK article about the new album podcast.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Stevio10 Posted - 03/15/2019 : 11:28:02
quote:

quote:

quote:

Probably my imagination but I thought I heard the term "Selkie Bride" in San Nazare.

Sounds challenging.

This song is so good, really hoping they donít muffle it like they did with the production on Baalís Back.

lol at the sounds challenging part!
TheScooper Posted - 03/15/2019 : 07:58:21
What is the FB group linked up thread? It says content not available. Is there a Pixies fan page I'm missing out on?
Bedbug Posted - 03/15/2019 : 01:54:10
quote:

quote:

Sounds challenging.

jake3 Posted - 03/14/2019 : 08:27:37
quote:

picpic Posted - 03/14/2019 : 08:25:42
FBF is a real beast at screaming. It's amazing how his voice can sound tired sometimes, and then suddently screams 4 songs in a row like he makes no effort, even after a 35-song set. I haven't clicked too much on the new songs (I'm trying not to), but the scream sounds even more powerful now. It's incredible.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 03/14/2019 : 08:13:09

johnnyribcage Posted - 03/14/2019 : 07:47:18
Really digging these new songs. Witching Hour strikes me as a Bossanovaish thing, kind of like Hang Wire. Can't wait to hear the album!

Sprite Posted - 03/14/2019 : 03:44:03
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

... All that said, I really like HC a lot. I'm not a professional musician or producer, I'm just some asshole that knows enough to be dangerous and feel confident sharting my partially informed opinions into the gaping maw of the internet.

All sounds very sensible to me. As someone who bought all the Pixies 1.0 records back in the day on vinyl or casette so much modern music just sounds a bit weird without me knowing exactly what the elements that are making it sound weird are..
pot Posted - 03/13/2019 : 23:29:30
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

quote:
Originally posted by pot

I clicked.

Haven't heard Death Horizon yet though because I refuse to join facebook groups. Are you guys on that one?

Yeah. It's the best group on facebook, hands down. Hell, I even met my wife through it!

Oooh they have women!
johnnyribcage Posted - 03/13/2019 : 14:38:35
... All that said, I really like HC a lot. I'm not a professional musician or producer, I'm just some asshole that knows enough to be dangerous and feel confident sharting my partially informed opinions into the gaping maw of the internet.

johnnyribcage Posted - 03/13/2019 : 13:52:30
quote:

These are really cool, and I love how "affected" BF's vocals are. Reminds me of Bossanova era in a lot of ways.

Just hope he's not weirdly restrained on the record, as with Head Carrier. And also that TD somehow learned how to record something properly in the interim. Don't know if my heart can take another good batch of pixies songs dying in his butterfly jar

There is a lot to unpack on the vocal treatments on HC. There is a fairly heavy, liberal slathering of auto-tune on everything. And of course the ever pervasive compression + dynamic limiting. But I wonít go down that rabbit hole again.

The auto tune - if you havenít used it before and arenít familiar with how it works and sounds in different applications, you might not realize thatís what youíre hearing, but itís here on almost everything. If you donít crank it all the way up, it wonít do the trademark hitching and note jumping that itís famous for, more of a weird smooth effect where the vocals ride too perfectly in this never wavering channel.

The other big vocal issue on HC, and itís probably the most egregious vox party foul in FBFís entire catalog, is Baalís Back. And that includes some highly questionable production chooses on FMRM (which i love), I think TD recorded that vocal, and had never recorded anything like it (To be fair, almost no one has).

My supposition is he got so excited about it that he cranked everything about the vocal to 11, pushed it aaaaalllll the way forward in the mix, then applied about 3 or 4 automatic double track plug ins to it. Itís overwhelming, and not in a good way. That vocal should be sitting in the mix like his vox in Rock Music is, in my opinion.

sdon Posted - 03/13/2019 : 13:25:18
quote:

These are really cool, and I love how "affected" BF's vocals are. Reminds me of Bossanova era in a lot of ways.

Just hope he's not weirdly restrained on the record, as with Head Carrier. And also that TD somehow learned how to record something properly in the interim. Don't know if my heart can take another good batch of pixies songs dying in his butterfly jar

I'm not overly confident

Strange also reading so many Joey's interviews where he states the Pixies (and him) went for something more experimental, with a harsher sound... and the first three songs we hear range from mellow surf pop (cool!) to catchy pop and garagey-pop... but I expected something more unexpected, ŗ la Bagboy in terms of daring ideas

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
TheScooper Posted - 03/13/2019 : 12:48:22

jake3 Posted - 03/13/2019 : 08:08:08
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

Death Horizon starts with "This drink is tranquilizing"
Could it be the same song as the one listed on BMI since 2013 as TRANQUILIZE ME ?

--

TRANSMARINE has this demo. If he's still about he'd be able to answer that one.
yarbles Posted - 03/13/2019 : 06:42:58
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I clicked.

Haven't heard Death Horizon yet though because I refuse to join facebook groups. Are you guys on that one?

Yeah. It's the best group on facebook, hands down. Hell, I even met my wife through it!
johnnyribcage Posted - 03/13/2019 : 04:55:27
Interesting - Death Horizon sounds like pure Honeycomb / FMRM. looking forward to hearing all these in the context of the album.

sdon Posted - 03/13/2019 : 04:37:45
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I clicked.

https://youtu.be/PqOazyihak8 (Columbia, 10 Mar 2019)
https://youtu.be/qf6unR0A_Zw (Madison Square Garden)

--
Active Duck Posted - 03/13/2019 : 03:19:51
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I clicked.

Have seen a few videos of Death Horizon on Youtube now
pot Posted - 03/13/2019 : 03:11:31
I clicked.

sdon Posted - 03/13/2019 : 02:42:07
Death Horizon starts with "This drink is tranquilizing"
Could it be the same song as the one listed on BMI since 2013 as TRANQUILIZE ME ?

--
sdon Posted - 03/13/2019 : 02:40:15
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Don't click. Don't click. Don't click.

***click***

enjoy these songs picpic
soon they'll be overcompressed

--
picpic Posted - 03/12/2019 : 21:00:38
Don't click. Don't click. Don't click.

***click***

___
"Service Unavailable"
The Maharal Posted - 03/12/2019 : 09:04:32
Death Horizon seems quite lovely on first listening. Makes me hope for a Black Francis / Reid Paley / Mark Mulcahy supergroup album.
vilainde Posted - 03/12/2019 : 07:38:48
Cool! I didn't even know there had been some new songs played.

Denis
sdon Posted - 03/12/2019 : 07:04:20
recap so far:

SAINT NAZAIRE
https://youtu.be/8C_hkW23eCc (Columbia, South Carolina, 10 Mar 2019)
also here with different lyrics in the 2nd verse : https://youtu.be/ooiKGcKnKcw?t=146 (Knoxville, Tennessee, 9 Mar 2019)
https://youtu.be/P0QuFJM39GI (Philadelphia 18 Mar 2019)

GRAVEYARD HILL
https://youtu.be/jHiHOcgIUNM?t=180 (Knoxville, Tennessee, 9 Mar 2019)
https://youtu.be/c9DREvvlM3M (Madison Square Garden)
https://youtu.be/J1NgNqgaYP4
https://youtu.be/9_FCbYnRiDg (Philadelphia 18 Mar 2019)

DEATH HORIZON
https://youtu.be/PqOazyihak8 (Columbia, 10 Mar 2019)
https://youtu.be/qf6unR0A_Zw (Madison Square Garden)
https://youtu.be/kZD8mhzbQNk
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1112525925483327/permalink/2147739595295283/
https://youtu.be/zYX4Isqujns (Philadelphia 18 Mar 2019)

--

cptnpasty Posted - 02/14/2019 : 22:11:27
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Gnossienne Covers - an album of Erik Satie music

this i would buy

www.guillermostitch.com

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2016 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000