Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  05:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just pre ordered the deluxe box. I'm excited.

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  09:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a few listens:

Good:
Synth pedal(s) (?) at the end
Bf backing vocals / scream (want more)
Bridge ! I love it

Meh:
Drums. Good, but like many IC/HC tracks: nothing special.
Lyrics
Paz vocals.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  10:02:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles looks pretty cool with his hair grown in, almost quite removed from his Frank Black persona.

https://images.app.goo.gl/aDXHHkgqZsqaV2Qn9

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  10:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He looks a bit like Barry from Eastenders there, ha.

Listening to the live versions where the vocals were a bit muddier I thought maybe the song was about Twin Peaks' Donna. Considering she was the worst female character in the show I'm glad it's not!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  10:14:16  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Digging the new (old) Black Francis look. (he does look like Barry from Eastenders, or Fat Suggs?) I always prefered that to the whole black suit nonsense. Checked shirts rule.

Also agree with meh @ Paz vocals.

The song is catchy, got a bit of a Pixies feel to it but it's nothing special. It will grow old quickly. Everything Pixies 2.0 have done has failed to replicate the original quirky song writing of 1.0
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  10:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

After a few listens:

Good:
Synth pedal(s) (?) at the end
Bf backing vocals / scream (want more)
Bridge ! I love it

Meh:
Drums. Good, but like many IC/HC tracks: nothing special.
Lyrics
Paz vocals.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Paz is both too low in the mix and singing a part that is too close to Charles' - no counterpoint.

Needs more Joey magic dust, feels like loads of missed opportunities for wailing.

Still like it though :)
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  10:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paz' singing is too low in the mix, but the pre-chorus harmonies are still interesting and better heard in live versions

Drums sound artificial (over-gated / triggered snare and kick, my amateur audio-engineer friend does better)

I like the'black and gorgeous' yelp, but not the fact that it's added as a backing in the left channel instead of daring have it as lead vocals

Lyrics seem to me a bit better than on HC, but not as good as on IC

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  11:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeow! Love Frank's look!

I dig the song, but the criticisms above are valid. Has there been a single moment of 2.0 that makes you think, even for a second, "I'm listening to 1.0."?

Having said that, I like this tune. Solid FBF stuff in 2019, we are doing good.

If they buried Kim on songs of course they are going to bury Paz.

The clearing of the throat at the beginning makes me think I'm listening to a Catholics b-side.

Edited by - Bedbug on 06/05/2019 11:11:34
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  14:13:55  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Digging the new (old) Black Francis look. (he does look like Barry from Eastenders, or Fat Suggs?) I always prefered that to the whole black suit nonsense. Checked shirts rule.

The song is catchy, got a bit of a Pixies feel to it but it's nothing special. It will grow old quickly. Everything Pixies 2.0 have done has failed to replicate the original quirky song writing of 1.0

I would rather them make music that is unique and true to who they are now than to try to replicate 1989 over and over again. I may always prefer the older stuff, but I don't want them to pretend they are still 25.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Jason Bravo
- FB Fan -

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  19:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

quote:
Originally posted by pot

I would rather them make music that is unique and true to who they are now than to try to replicate 1989 over and over again. I may always prefer the older stuff, but I don't want them to pretend they are still 25.

- Brian

This^ Totally agree!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  20:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba
Paz is both too low in the mix and singing a part that is too close to Charles' - no counterpoint.

And very off-key. I like her as a musician, not as a vocalist. It just doesn't work.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  22:25:13  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug
Has there been a single moment of 2.0 that makes you think, even for a second, "I'm listening to 1.0."?

Oona.
It was the only time though.

And the new single is my biggest 2.0 disappointment (yet?)

-----
Isn't that something ?

Edited by - The Holiday Son on 06/05/2019 22:26:21
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  22:28:00  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

- Brian

I still wear checked shirts and pretend I'm 25 and I have no shame

As for the music, the whole 2.0 project has been about trying to recreate 1989. In Frank's own words: Head Carrier was supposed to be a return to Doolittle.

Anything from the 2.0 era is going to be met by me with some disappointment anyway. It's always met with initial approval, give it a few listens then after that there is never anything to make me want to go back. I have plenty optimism for Beanie Theory though.

Id say this new song has a bit of a Motorway to Roswell feel to it, one of the more standard indie rock tracks from the 1.0 era. I hope there are some more quirky tracks akin to the Bluefinger era in the final album though.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  22:29:05  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And very off-key. I like her as a musician, not as a vocalist. It just doesn't work.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Off-key is good. I want more off-key. Notes are for goats.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  22:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Joey playing off-key, out-of tune, in a disonant way. But disonant vocals are unpleasant to my ear.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  23:53:55  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like Joey playing off-key, out-of tune, in a disonant way. But disonant vocals are unpleasant to my ear.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Modern indie music was built on flat.

How many Frank vocals have been dissonant? I can think of Bailey's Walk. There surely must be more. Number 13 baby. Levitate Me? Caribou..

Edited by - pot on 06/05/2019 23:54:40
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  00:28:59  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

- Brian

I still wear checked shirts and pretend I'm 25 and I have no shame

As for the music, the whole 2.0 project has been about trying to recreate 1989. In Frank's own words: Head Carrier was supposed to be a return to Doolittle.

Anything from the 2.0 era is going to be met by me with some disappointment anyway. It's always met with initial approval, give it a few listens then after that there is never anything to make me want to go back. I have plenty optimism for Beanie Theory though.

Id say this new song has a bit of a Motorway to Roswell feel to it, one of the more standard indie rock tracks from the 1.0 era. I hope there are some more quirky tracks akin to the Bluefinger era in the final album though.

I disagree with a lot of this. Indie Cindy was a deliberate attempt to do something new, and people (including a majority of folks in these parts) didn't like it. They wanted something more close to the original stuff.

So, the band tried to do that with Head Carrier. And then people were shitting on it because it was too close to their older stuff.

Obviously, part of the reunion is to get back to the older stuff because it's the old band back together. There's a certain style that happens when the four (three, now) get back together. Joey's guitar and Dave's drums interact in a very specific way, and so I think when FBF writes with them in mind, there's a certain alchemy that happens.

I guess my point is that people want it both ways: they want the band to be the same as it was before, but then get upset when they feel that the band is trying to do that.

I think getting Paz in the band is the best thing to happen to 2.0, as it gives a different voice in the mix (literally and writing wise) and allows the band to do stuff that 1.0 wouldn't or couldn't do. Kim would've never had the same tone on her bass that Paz has on the new single. I hope that, now that Paz is fully integrated into the band, their evolution will progress quicker.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  00:53:04  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was never that critical of Head Carrier. I liked it when it came out, but it just grew old quickly. I never really thought it was much like Doolittle.

I don't really know why they can never be the band they used to be, because some bands can reform after after many years and get straight back into form. Like Belly, for instance. Their new album that came out last year was great, it was like they never went away. The last Sonic Youth album was as fresh as any of their early ones. The Fall kept churning out top albums until Mark E Smith left the stage.

I look forward to the new album immensely but they just don't have the same spark that they used to have, and maybe that's just because the 1.0 stuff was so exceptionally creative and groundbreaking that it's just impossible to do again. Maybe (as some seem to think) it's got something to do with the production.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  01:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I was never that critical of Head Carrier. I liked it when it came out, but it just grew old quickly. I never really thought it was much like Doolittle.

I don't really know why they can never be the band they used to be, because some bands can reform after after many years and get straight back into form. Like Belly, for instance. Their new album that came out last year was great, it was like they never went away. The last Sonic Youth album was as fresh as any of their early ones. The Fall kept churning out top albums until Mark E Smith left the stage.

I look forward to the new album immensely but they just don't have the same spark that they used to have, and maybe that's just because the 1.0 stuff was so exceptionally creative and groundbreaking that it's just impossible to do again. Maybe (as some seem to think) it's got something to do with the production.

Sonic Youth and the Fall changed their sound consistently and never broke up. It's a totally different situation.

And you're talking about songwriting, not production. While the production is an issue to some, that's not what you're talking about.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  01:17:51  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sonic Youth and the Fall changed their sound consistently and never broke up. It's a totally different situation.

And you're talking about songwriting, not production. While the production is an issue to some, that's not what you're talking about.

- Brian

Sonic Youth and The Fall both had a sound that was signature to them. There was some variation from album to album, but overall (and despite many line-up changes wrt to The Fall) neither band strayed far from that over the span of their careers. Over the span of 5 albums in the early days the Pixies changed their sound a fair bit more I'd say; but consistently produced innovative songs that were far less mainstream sounding than the 2.0 material is overall.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  02:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, another factor in this for many of us that we the listeners have changed. We’ve had so much time with the 1.0 albums.

But that doesn’t change the reality that the day TLM came out I started wearing out my cassette tape immediately with constant playing and rewinding. Not the case with IC, HC, and I’m assuming with BTE.

That’s why I started that thread about what is the most recently released FBF song that you play a lot. Unfortunately 2.0 just doesn’t have much in the way of replayability.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  02:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

- Brian

Sonic Youth and The Fall both had a sound that was signature to them. There was some variation from album to album, but overall (and despite many line-up changes wrt to The Fall) neither band strayed far from that over the span of their careers. Over the span of 5 albums in the early days the Pixies changed their sound a fair bit more I'd say; but consistently produced innovative songs that were far less mainstream sounding than the 2.0 material is overall.

Sonic Youth changed incredibly from their early noise roots to their poppier sound at the end. The Fall has a few very distinct eras that sound almost nothing like each other.

I honestly thought you were kidding before, because this is such a crazy statement to make.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  02:48:21  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sonic Youth changed incredibly from their early noise roots to their poppier sound at the end. The Fall has a few very distinct eras that sound almost nothing like each other.

I honestly thought you were kidding before, because this is such a crazy statement to make.

- Brian

Yet all eras of The Fall have the distinct vocal style of Mark E Smith and the loose, off-key lo-fi instrumental arrangement. As for Sonic Youth: they have always had a distinct sound that has varied somewhat, but not a great deal. I'd hardly describe their final album (Rather Ripped) as pop. To me it sounds pretty much like every other album they've released.

I honestly have no idea what the point is in splitting hairs over this. You obviously have derived something completely different to me from those bands but I think most people would agree that they both 1. had the same trademark sound throughout their careers and 2. didn't become a slightly lame parody of themselves towards the latter years of their career.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  02:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

- Brian

Yet all eras of The Fall have the distinct vocal style of Mark E Smith and the loose, off-key lo-fi instrumental arrangement. As for Sonic Youth: they have always had a distinct sound that has varied somewhat, but not a great deal. I'd hardly describe their final album (Rather Ripped) as pop. To me it sounds pretty much like every other album they've released.

I honestly have no idea what the point is in splitting hairs over this. You obviously have derived something completely different to me from those bands but I think most people would agree that they both 1. had the same trademark sound throughout their careers and 2. didn't become a slightly lame parody of themselves towards the latter years of their career.

I totally disagree on both points. Their sounds changed incredibly over the years, and their later albums were nowhere near as good as their earlier stuff.

But hey, that's the great thing about opinions: I can ignore yours with no consequence!

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  03:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sonic Youth album 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKo4y1DUaE8

Sonic Youth album 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKlbBgQHPqo

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  03:03:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Feel free to ignore, or disagree with everything I say Brian.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  03:07:56  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Feel free to ignore, or disagree with everything I say Brian.

I have for years now!

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  03:09:56  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  03:25:36  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

The vocals are out of key by design on this song. Charles’ vocals on the chorus are significantly dissonant, as is the instrumentation. It doesn’t resolve back to an E. There may be an E in there somewhere, but there are other notes not aligned to any E chord structure, nor any of the related keys. Charles is close to Joey’s final note on “hour,” but not right on.

Paz perfectly capable of singing a given note, and she has demonstrated that she can sing “in key” on plenty of other recordings. If you’re gonna ding Paz for singing a dissonant melody, you gotta ding Charles too. But that’s just the song, not a failure of performance. I’m pretty sure they aren’t tone-deaf.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  04:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I don't think it's as strong as previous lead singles ('Bagboy' & 'Um Chagga Lagga') it's a worthy single and it'd certainly make a '2.0 Best Of' for me. I've found myself playing it in my head a lot recently which is a good sign!

It's been talked about lots before but ultimately I think it's obvious why these songs are frequently being met with negative reviews and that's because Charles isn't the songwriter he once was and people are naturally going to compare them to Pixies 1.0 material when Charles was at his strongest as a writer. Maybe this is an unpopular opinion on here (or not) but I think Pixies 2.0 albums have so far been a strong vein of writing for Charles and stand up to his best releases post 'Teenager of the Year'.

In terms of material that I think can stand up to the bands original stuff... For me 'Bagboy' (preferably the album version) is there, 'Um Chagga Lagga' and 'Greens & Blues' are almost there, as is 'Blue Eyed Hexe' (especially from Chorus 2 onwards). 'What Goes Boom', 'Indie Cindy', 'Classic Masher' and 'Baal's Back' all have moments (with the latter largely suffering from production-wise) and the stuff they did back when they first reunited 'Bam Thwok' and their Warren Zevon cover 'Ain't That Pretty at All' are both very underrated and almost at that benchmark too. Actually in fact 'Ain't That Pretty At All' is real good. Such a joyous recording. Again maybe this an unpopular opinion here but I prefer it to 'Winterlong', 'I've Been Waiting For You' and 'Evil Hearted You'. So yeah, it's few and far between but there are moments.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  06:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

The vocals are out of key by design on this song. Charles’ vocals on the chorus are significantly dissonant, as is the instrumentation. It doesn’t resolve back to an E. There may be an E in there somewhere, but there are other notes not aligned to any E chord structure, nor any of the related keys. Charles is close to Joey’s final note on “hour,” but not right on.

Paz perfectly capable of singing a given note, and she has demonstrated that she can sing “in key” on plenty of other recordings. If you’re gonna ding Paz for singing a dissonant melody, you gotta ding Charles too. But that’s just the song, not a failure of performance. I’m pretty sure they aren’t tone-deaf.

I'm a big Paz fan, no issues with her pitch just want her to be more audible. Feels like a bit of missed opportunity - to have a song about a witch, to have a girl singing backing vocals and not have her singing a Witchy part.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  06:32:05  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel like Graveyard Hill is Talent’s moody older goth sister.

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  07:33:58  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I disagree with a lot of this. Indie Cindy was a deliberate attempt to do something new, and people (including a majority of folks in these parts) didn't like it. They wanted something more close to the original stuff.

So, the band tried to do that with Head Carrier. And then people were shitting on it because it was too close to their older stuff.

And I disagree with a lot of this.

Indie Cindy sounds like Pixies 1.0 to me. They sound specifically like songs from Bossanova, with maybe elements from other albums too. The production sounds a bit more intense and spacey, but I don't really see it as some big new thing.

Head Carrier sounds like a solid Frank solo album, especially Catholics, it has all of those kind of generic country melodies and none of that angular insane Pixies stuff, which is all over Indie Cindy, and I can't FOR THE LIFE OF ME understand the comparisons to Doolittle or anything about older Pixies. I can't think of anything on that album that sounds like old Pixies to me, except All The Saints (my favorite recent song, btw) is a bit like Havalina, though to me it's more like Dog in the Sand or something.

I seriously don't see in any possible way how Head Carrier is some sort of return to any sound, when Indie Cindy is the closest they've sounded like the old Pixies almost from beginning to end.

I feel like I'm going crazy sometimes on this forum. What are your ears all hearing!??

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 06/06/2019 07:37:26
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  07:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

THIS.

The vocal harmonies on the choruses, and the way FBF is varying the melodic line he is singing there from line to line is all an intentional aesthetic choice.

It's not sloppy singing, or poor production or quality control.

It's actually MUCH easier to sing the root notes of this chorus over and over ad infinitum and nail them every time.

It takes a certain kind of nerve to intentionally place slightly awkward and/or dissonant vocal notes in the hooky chorus of the pop-oriented lead-off single from a highly anticipated album by a band that is known for eliciting snippy criticism about minutiae from longtime fans.

I applaud them for the gumption and for going against the grain in this subtle way.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  08:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

Sorry, but Paz is off-key on many old Pixies songs on stage, too... and sorry, but it does sound unpleasant to my ear. Don’t ask me why, but I love Pixies / BF disonances, they made the Pixies sound. But disonant backing vocals are not working, and i don’t think Paz is singing that way on purpose.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000