Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  08:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably my imagination but I thought I heard the term "Selkie Bride" in San Nazare.

Probably a glitch in the software
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  08:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FBF is a real beast at screaming. It's amazing how his voice can sound tired sometimes, and then suddently screams 4 songs in a row like he makes no effort, even after a 35-song set. I haven't clicked too much on the new songs (I'm trying not to), but the scream sounds even more powerful now. It's incredible.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  08:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Probably my imagination but I thought I heard the term "Selkie Bride" in San Nazare.

I thought the same thing.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  01:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

quote:

I think he says “I went down on the Selkie Bride.”

Sounds challenging.

Also sounds like a mashup of Honeycomb and NSE.

This song is so good, really hoping they don’t muffle it like they did with the production on Baal’s Back.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  07:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the FB group linked up thread? It says content not available. Is there a Pixies fan page I'm missing out on?
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  11:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Sounds challenging.

This song is so good, really hoping they don’t muffle it like they did with the production on Baal’s Back.

lol at the sounds challenging part!
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  12:28:05  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/15/loudquietloud-can-the-pixies-break-into-the-podcasting-world UK article about the new album podcast.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  19:55:51  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

What is the FB group linked up thread? It says content not available. Is there a Pixies fan page I'm missing out on?

Yeah, it's a private group called Pixies and Frank Black Francis. Request to be a member and you'll get approved and then you can see the link and everything else going on in there. Really great group of people.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  10:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome -- thanks, I joined the group. I love that they make you a pass a "no kim, no deal" litmus test in order to join haha
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2019 :  11:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Sounds challenging.

Any thoughts on who the Selkie Bride is? I always thought it was a reference to his first wife Speedie Marie as it was from around the SMYT divorce era, but now I'm not so sure.

Maybe it's just a reference to the mythical selkie creature but I find it interesting it's popped up again.

Anyway, enjoying the song and also hope the studio version isn't ruined.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2019 :  18:32:37  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering if Selkie Bride is referring to Violet... the song Selkie Bride came out after he was already with Violet. It was brought up in another thread on the forum, but Violet recently made a post on Facebook saying that she and Charles are separating. These songs have dark, edgy, angsty vibes to them, and this one in particular sounds like an angry break up song. (I'm done with talking to you, and I don't want to be true). But who knows, just fanboy speculation here.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  03:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Awesome -- thanks, I joined the group. I love that they make you a pass a "no kim, no deal" litmus test in order to join haha

So how does that work exactly? Am not on FB, just curious.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  03:50:29  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Re: Selkie Bride... Only Charles knows what his inspiration was, but my guess is it isn’t really about a person, rather one of his folklore / historical musings. It appears to be a rather unambiguous take on the classic tale, told from the protagonists first person perspective, but maybe there were more inspirational layers. Who knows.

If you already know this, disregard, but for others - Selkies are a female Scottish folklore character, like a half human half seal that lives in the water around the islands. Their main storyline is being kind of forced into a relationship with a human when said human steals the swlkie’s seal skin. Now a prisoner and forced to be a human (human form, she hides) the human then marries her and holds her captive, with her hidden skin as the ball and chain basically.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/18/2019 03:51:19
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  06:59:58  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:

So how does that work exactly? Am not on FB, just curious.

It's a private group, so in order to join you have to request to become a member of the group. In order to weed out trolls/spammers/fake accounts etc, the admins ask a number of questions to see if first of all, the person is a real person, and second of all that they at least know who Pixies are. The "No Kim, No Deal" question is mostly a joke I think, but it also keeps those people out who constantly troll the official Pixies page with the annoying "No Kim No Deal" comments on everything new the band does, coming up on 6 years after Kim quit...

Once you're approved, you can see everything that's posted, and you can comment and like any of the posts there. People share videos, make posts about specific albums/songs/etc, lost of people post pics/vids from Pixies shows they attend, some will even live stream entire concerts to the group. Last week someone streamed the entire Madison Square Garden set.

There's almost 5,000 members and it keeps growing. Very nice group of people. A couple band members are also part of the group, Joey and David are for sure... pretty sure Charles isn't, Paz might be. Kim definitely isn't.

Edited by - yarbles on 03/18/2019 07:01:55
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  11:40:02  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These new songs are really promising. Sounds like 2.0 is starting to hit their stride. I mean, I really enjoy IC and HC for the most part, but both still feel like ramp-ups. Like the first 2 albums from a really promising new band that is getting ready to unleash a string of excellence.

I hate to say it, but I must... let us all pray they don’t whiff on the production. No auto tune. No heavy handed mastering. Especially on the snare drum, which shouldn’t sound like a distorted bass drum amped through a blown speaker. Really hope they just set the mics up, recorded the takes, and did the minimal tweaking / compression / limiting necessary to make it sound great.

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  13:52:53  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More new songs shared over on facebook. Someone uploaded some new tracks to soundcloud here: https://soundcloud.com/user-718668776?fbclid=IwAR1Q74KjAWngPGFHt7Yl1nxZFyMmcGm006XSfC1h2zayGWbmU6NeBOrPiuo

they're the ones that start with "18" and "21"

Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  19:24:29  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Crazily enough, the person who shared them on facebook originally found them posted here in the All Over The World live forums...... it's the circle of life!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2019 :  00:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These all sound great.

Fully aware of how redundant I sound: please don't mess them up during production
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2019 :  10:01:43  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Re: Selkie Bride... Only Charles knows what his inspiration was, but my guess is it isn’t really about a person, rather one of his folklore / historical musings. It appears to be a rather unambiguous take on the classic tale, told from the protagonists first person perspective, but maybe there were more inspirational layers. Who knows.

Well yeah, but didn't Frank say the song came out of his therapy sessions and that he was writing about a really specific personal thing and using the mythology context as metaphor, which I assume he's been doing since the very first Pixies songs as well. Songwriting is a blend of personal and fictional and etc...

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2019 :  11:47:35  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Well yeah, but didn't Frank say the song came out of his therapy sessions and that he was writing about a really specific personal thing and using the mythology context as metaphor, which I assume he's been doing since the very first Pixies songs as well. Songwriting is a blend of personal and fictional and etc...

Sometimes he goes full on historical or whatever. But I didn’t catch that comment of his. I believe it though. Did he say that here?

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  08:02:11  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"I've been trying to record it for years, tweaking the lyrics and doing whatever I could to make it feel right. Then at some point I read some of the words to my therapist, and she pointed out that they actually applied to events and people in my own life. It was only when I viewed the song from a more personal perspective that it made sense to me and I was able to finish it."
- Frank on recording Honeycomb - Night Times. 12/06/2005

"Even Selkie Bride which was a song about the mythical creature. I started writing it a few years ago and it wasn't a personal song. I was never quite happy with it and I brought it up to my therapist, read the lyric to her, and she said, 'Well, OK, here's what's going on...you know who the Selkie Bride is, don't you?' And then she said, 'Now that you realise who the song is about, I think you can finish it.' And she was right!
- Frank Black interview - Comes With A Smile. Autumn 2005

I'm of the belief that even when going full on historical, you are still creating some sort of metaphor through art or tapping into some sort of feeling or universal or personal experience, perhaps even subconsciously. It's happened to me tons of times in songwriting and it's just what happens when you're making stuff, your own personal issues get in there even if you're trying to make a fictional song.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  12:07:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

"I've been trying to record it for years, tweaking the lyrics and doing whatever I could to make it feel right. Then at some point I read some of the words to my therapist, and she pointed out that they actually applied to events and people in my own life. It was only when I viewed the song from a more personal perspective that it made sense to me and I was able to finish it."
- Frank on recording Honeycomb - Night Times. 12/06/2005

"Even Selkie Bride which was a song about the mythical creature. I started writing it a few years ago and it wasn't a personal song. I was never quite happy with it and I brought it up to my therapist, read the lyric to her, and she said, 'Well, OK, here's what's going on...you know who the Selkie Bride is, don't you?' And then she said, 'Now that you realise who the song is about, I think you can finish it.' And she was right!
- Frank Black interview - Comes With A Smile. Autumn 2005

I'm of the belief that even when going full on historical, you are still creating some sort of metaphor through art or tapping into some sort of feeling or universal or personal experience, perhaps even subconsciously. It's happened to me tons of times in songwriting and it's just what happens when you're making stuff, your own personal issues get in there even if you're trying to make a fictional song.

Since hearing Selkie Bride on the Catholics box set I was intrigued by the lyric change.

The Catholics version rather sinisterly goes 'you won't return again' while the honeycomb version has 'please don't return again'. The first version is up to Frank, he's in control - he can stop whatever is going on.

The second version he has no control over it - it's just hope.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  15:06:02  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I get it. I've written a few hundred myself.

Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2019 :  17:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's another new song floating around, FYI. Concert videos being posted in that FB group. It sounds really cool...and exactly like the type of thing that TD will fuck up by bludgeoning it into a mush
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2019 :  19:17:59  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's another new song floating around, FYI. Concert videos being posted in that FB group. It sounds really cool...and exactly like the type of thing that TD will fuck up by bludgeoning it into a mush

Another one besides the 5 that have been shared here?
(Death Horizon, Saint Nazaire, Graveyard Hill, Mrs. Mark of Cain(?), Catfish Kate(?))
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2019 :  20:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

quote:

Another one besides the 5 that have been shared here?
(Death Horizon, Saint Nazaire, Graveyard Hill, Mrs. Mark of Cain(?), Catfish Kate(?))

Yes, with the words "my fate of crucifixion" (setlist.fm)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2019 :  02:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Death. Graveyard. Crucifixion.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2019 :  04:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixies meet the The Cure. No bad thing.
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2019 :  06:29:47  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Pixies meet the The Cure. No bad thing.

can anyone link this other song? i've trawled that group and i can't find it.

www.guillermostitch.com
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2019 :  07:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I can't find it there, either...

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2019 :  07:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man I like all these songs so far.

I never mind hearing the entirety of the ablum live before it drops officially.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2019 :  07:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Billings setlist apparently lists a song that starts "In the arms of" and one that is "Bird of"

Heart skipped a beat when I thought for a second we were going to hear about those mons.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2019 :  10:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2019 :  21:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bad, didn't see that link up thread, which includes the song I was talking about. Not sure if anyone has yet recorded the OTHER new song (the Crucifiction one)

Seems like they are going for that idea Joey had of stripping it back to the Come on Pilgrim days, Frank with the acoustic on most of them
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2019 :  21:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to setlist.fm, 3 new unknown songs are floating:
This is my Fate of Crucifixion
Bird of...
In the sand...

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"