= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  09:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kurtblack

quote:
Originally posted by natenate101
My personal opinion about what Pixies is obviously differs from yours, but if you aren't the one completely writing off Dave and Joey as part of the stew so I'm not calling bullshit on you. Ok?

Four people form a band... if anyone leaves and is replaced... then it's OBVIOUSLY a different band. You can have whatever personal opinion you want but that is a fact.

So, what of vilainde's succinct 'No Brian Jones, no Stones' point? Should, for example, Exile on Main Street not be classed as an album by The Rolling Stones?
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  10:31:54  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's been about 100 different versions of The Cure. Nirvana was a different band because the version that the world was introduced to with Nevermind was on it's 6th drummer. So it's just not the same band.

There's very few bands actually that I can think of that haven't gone through some kind of line up change.

This is Pixies in 2016. Would it be awesome if Kim had decided to stick around? Sure. But she didn't and this is what we have. Sure the band sounds different. But it's still Pixies. Trompe Le Monde sounded different than their previous albums, and Kim was part of that. It's all Pixies.

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  11:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listening to UCL a bunch more times this w/e (trying not to wear it out) it feels like a band invigorated. The sound is leaner, the rhythm guitar more aggressive, the vocals more frantic. I think Paz has made a huge difference. Maybe the others felt they had something to prove. Certainly the vibe in the studio must have been completely different to that during IC once Kim left mid way. The fact that one of the songs is credited to BF+Paz is highly significant. She is not just the hired help but a collaborator. New possibilities and new opportunities. It could end up being the best thing that happened since the reunion.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  12:21:21  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paz posted this on her instagram today. https://www.instagram.com/p/BHpNyfMjddv/ She officially has the coolest job in the world, and I'm really happy for her. I'm happy for the entire band, they seem to be in a really good place right now. Life to The Pixies!
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  13:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Pixies are dead, long live the Pixies!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  13:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian I agree with your post.

They're obviously not totally a different band, but nor are they the same.

If Joey left but Kim stayed would they still be the Pixies?

I've gotten to the point where I consider Pixies 1.0 to be "Charles and friends" as well, because ultimately his presence is the only deal breaker (no pun intended).

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  14:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
My personal opinion about what Pixies is obviously differs from yours, but if you aren't the one completely writing off Dave and Joey as part of the stew so I'm not calling bullshit on you. Ok?

Four people form a band... if anyone leaves and is replaced... then it's OBVIOUSLY a different band. You can have whatever personal opinion you want but that is a fact.

Smh, we are going in circles. I'm done.

Going in circles? Hilarious.

No, you keep trying to expand the discussion outside of the simple point I made and desperately want to read into what I said.

And yes, you are done.

Here is your ass. Take it and go.

Lol, sure sure. Bye bye. I've gotta go listen to that great new P-I-X-I-E-S (gasp!) song.

UCL is really great. Good tempo, memorable and is short enough to stay fresh. Good times.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  17:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this Kim herp 'n derp still going on? Look, she stopped being a member of the band in 1989...by her own choice. Band line-ups do change, and life goes on. If you really want to see/hear Kim she's doing her own thing. Stop this trolling already.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  19:51:57  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, ffs, it's back.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  22:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the Pixies still the Pixies ? Old topic. Bf already answered those questions 3 years ago.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20855&whichpage=8

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

kurtblack
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  22:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skatealex1

Even if Pixies are a different band than with Kim Deal,

If they are a different band??? I love how some of you simply will not admit, despite all logic and common sense, that IF ANY ONE OF THE FOUR would have left and are replaced that it is OBVIOUSLY a different band.

quote:
they are clearly better now. When Kim was with the band they were just playing the same songs for years and didn't produce any new music. The only original song they recorded with Kim in the past 10 years was Bam Thwok, and it was kind of a weak song overall.

Now that Kim has been out of the band for a few years the Pixies are set to release an album that sounds like it could stand up with some of their old stuff. If this is what a different Pixies is like, I'll take it. I'd much rather a Pixies that innovates and creates new music than what they were doing for the past 10 years when Kim was in the band. I liked Kim's presence and what she added to Pixies, but not if it means playing the same songs at every show and doing nothing new as a band.

I'm not debating if the band is better now.
I'm not debating whether it's good or bad that they're creating new music.
I'm not debating how good the new work is vs any of the old.

I made a very simple point. Some of you want to ignore the point I made, start arguing about something else, and just keep this going.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  00:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever your opinion is, you're bringing a bad vibe around here.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  00:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Even if Pixies are a different band than with Kim Deal,

If they are a different band??? I love how some of you simply will not admit, despite all logic and common sense, that IF ANY ONE OF THE FOUR would have left and are replaced that it is OBVIOUSLY a different band.

quote:
they are clearly better now. When Kim was with the band they were just playing the same songs for years and didn't produce any new music. The only original song they recorded with Kim in the past 10 years was Bam Thwok, and it was kind of a weak song overall.

Now that Kim has been out of the band for a few years the Pixies are set to release an album that sounds like it could stand up with some of their old stuff. If this is what a different Pixies is like, I'll take it. I'd much rather a Pixies that innovates and creates new music than what they were doing for the past 10 years when Kim was in the band. I liked Kim's presence and what she added to Pixies, but not if it means playing the same songs at every show and doing nothing new as a band.

I'm not debating if the band is better now.
I'm not debating whether it's good or bad that they're creating new music.
I'm not debating how good the new work is vs any of the old.

I made a very simple point. Some of you want to ignore the point I made, start arguing about something else, and just keep this going.

You are not making a simple point. You are trying to insist your opinion is a fact and getting into a tizz when others disagree with your opinion. Next time I'm skipping over your posts. I already feel grubby having responded to you twice.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  00:58:06  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Actual Reality.

Edited by - hammerhands on 07/10/2016 01:09:08
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  03:48:48  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kurtblack - man while I like the addition of new members and perspectives around here of course, I have to ask did you really join this forum just to argue with a bunch of hardcore fans and get people riled up? You're not going to win this argument, homie. You of course have the option to keep trying though.

All I'll say to pile on, one of my favorite bands is Jethro Tull (up through about 1980). Which makes me a bit of a pariah among my music loving friends haha. But you want to talk about a revolving door of a line up! And while it was always Ian as the driving force of the band, the spirit and output was always Tull.

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

ruzom
= Cult of Ray =

France
267 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  06:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Are the Pixies still the Pixies ? Old topic. Bf already answered those questions 3 years ago.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20855&whichpage=8

I miss his posts here!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  06:19:40  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah he used to be pretty regular. Maybe he got the "service unavailable" message a few too many times and called it quits.

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  06:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep... last year he did a Q&A on Periscope (I put it one on Youtube for archiving purposes ;-)), along with a few other videos, sitting around and eventually answering questions.

Do you think he still reads this forum ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  07:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say so, he's made several random visits over many years.
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  09:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

have been reluctant in posting too much insider stuff just incase ol' frankie was lurking ..
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  09:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

Oh, ffs, it's back.

Hi, Hammerhead!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  09:57:52  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

I have a friend who is a huge Deep Purple fan, and he was telling me about how whenever big DP fans talk about the band, they talk about "Mach II" or "Mach IV" or whatever, because that band has had a ton of lineup changes. It still remains Deep Purple, but Deep Purple in 1972 is waaaay different than Deep Purple in 2016.

That's sort of how I feel - I would argue, however, that the biggest change in the band's sound came not from a lineup change but from the time apart. There is no bigger jump, stylistically, than from Trompe to "Bam Thwok"/"Ain't That Pretty At All"/"All Around the World." The reunion shows/few recordings all showed a very, very different band.

Think about Joey pre and post-reunion. Post reunion, he's using far more effects, and using them in more 'gimmicky' ways. That's not a judgment call; there is something to be said for him processing his guitar more thoroughly. To me, that more processed sound is the single biggest change in the sonics of the band. Sure, neither Kim Shadduck or Paz really sounds like Kim, but they are, vocally and bass-wise, providing the same purpose. Joey's guitar on the new songs is NOT doing what he used to do on the older tunes. To me, his theatrics during "Vamos" live is the best indicator of the shift.

So, I think of pre-Trompe as Mach I, with Eric Drew Feldman was Mach II, reunion through Kim leaving as Mach III, the Kim Shadduck touring/Ding Archer handling the recording of Indie Cindy era as Mach IV (however brief), and we're currently in Mach V, the Paz era. Same band, different incarnation.

- Brian

Great, great post

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  10:24:35  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilson

quote:

have been reluctant in posting too much insider stuff just incase ol' frankie was lurking ..

Haha I figured you were so looped in that you had some kind of nod and wink blessing!

Watch out for the Wrath of Black - he might write a song about you! ... seriously

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 07/10/2016 10:31:04
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  11:30:13  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by wilson

quote:

Haha I figured you were so looped in that you had some kind of nod and wink blessing!

Watch out for the Wrath of Black - he might write a song about you! ... seriously

He might have a bad reaction to your public hobby writings

[URL=http://s70.photobucket.com/user/johnnyribcage/media/RibcageBagboy.png.html][/URL]

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  14:17:06  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

Welcome back Pot !

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Thank you man. I never thought I'd ever come back, but then I also never though I'd still be alive in my mid forties. I'm currently deep space nining from the delta quandrant, which means I haven't smoked any pot since January and now I'm even more of an alcoholic depressive.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  14:18:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McDutchie

Random reviewer monkey writes mind-numbingly dumb article no. 8457824 about the Pixies. Film at 11.

What's wrong with the Peppers anyway? I like some of what they did. As Frank said many times, it's all rock 'n roll, man, who cares?

I like everything the peppers did on their first two albums.
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  16:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

I have a friend who is a huge Deep Purple fan, and he was telling me about how whenever big DP fans talk about the band, they talk about "Mach II" or "Mach IV" or whatever, because that band has had a ton of lineup changes. It still remains Deep Purple, but Deep Purple in 1972 is waaaay different than Deep Purple in 2016.

That's sort of how I feel - I would argue, however, that the biggest change in the band's sound came not from a lineup change but from the time apart. There is no bigger jump, stylistically, than from Trompe to "Bam Thwok"/"Ain't That Pretty At All"/"All Around the World." The reunion shows/few recordings all showed a very, very different band.

Think about Joey pre and post-reunion. Post reunion, he's using far more effects, and using them in more 'gimmicky' ways. That's not a judgment call; there is something to be said for him processing his guitar more thoroughly. To me, that more processed sound is the single biggest change in the sonics of the band. Sure, neither Kim Shadduck or Paz really sounds like Kim, but they are, vocally and bass-wise, providing the same purpose. Joey's guitar on the new songs is NOT doing what he used to do on the older tunes. To me, his theatrics during "Vamos" live is the best indicator of the shift.

So, I think of pre-Trompe as Mach I, with Eric Drew Feldman was Mach II, reunion through Kim leaving as Mach III, the Kim Shadduck touring/Ding Archer handling the recording of Indie Cindy era as Mach IV (however brief), and we're currently in Mach V, the Paz era. Same band, different incarnation.

- Brian

Great, great post

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

Yeah, Broken Face makes a great point, regarding Joey's guitar sound on the new songs. I remember listening to 'Women of War' and being surprised by the very positive reaction people had towards it. For me a nice b-side but not much else. But there's something about Joey's guitar sound on that one, I guess it reminds people of the band's early work.

Even if Santiago is currently using more effects now, it's kind of unfair to compare Joey's work with what he did on TLM, no? Everyone was recording separately on that one, trying to impress each other through what they did with their studio time. And man, did Joey nail those sessions. I mean, 'Space (I believe in)' for example... even in the context of their first incarnation. What the hell is that (besides brilliant)?
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  16:19:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean, Fitzy.

These leaked guitar backing tracks from the Trompe sessions for that song are truly mind-blowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD4nwwf_pkA

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  17:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And as those people age they change. Therefore OBVIOUSLY they become a different band. You can have whatever personal opinion you want but that is a fact. Fun game.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  18:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

I know what you mean, Fitzy.

These leaked guitar backing tracks from the Trompe sessions for that song are truly mind-blowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD4nwwf_pkA

What ? Where ??? This is a bass-drum midi track obviously. Space backing tracks ! Holy grail to me. Do you have a link ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  18:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, argument from 2013. Long time, no see.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  19:21:23  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everybody being here is going to make me cry. Hi darwin.
Go to Top of Page

kurtblack
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  20:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

You are not making a simple point. You are trying to insist your opinion is a fact and getting into a tizz when others disagree with your opinion.

Sorry but it's not an opinion no matter how much you or anyone keep insisting.

A, B, C, D form a band and create music together... A + B + C + D = XXX

B leaves the band and is replaced by E... A + E + C + D does not equal XXX

THESE TWO EQUATIONS ARE DIFFERENT
A + B + C + D
A + E + C + D
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  20:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please fork this topic. Heavy trolling.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

kurtblack
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  20:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kurtblack - man while I like the addition of new members and perspectives around here of course, I have to ask did you really join this forum just to argue with a bunch of hardcore fans and get people riled up?

Yeah, I joined 12 years ago and waited to start this discussion. I'm into long term planning.

quote:
All I'll say to pile on, one of my favorite bands is Jethro Tull (up through about 1980). Which makes me a bit of a pariah among my music loving friends haha. But you want to talk about a revolving door of a line up! And while it was always Ian as the driving force of the band, the spirit and output was always Tull.

"the spirit and output was always Tull."

Yeah, you hit upon one of the problems here. Some people can't see facts and logic because of emotion and feelings.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000