Page: of 12

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  08:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McDutchie

Random reviewer monkey writes mind-numbingly dumb article no. 8457824 about the Pixies. Film at 11.

What's wrong with the Peppers anyway? I like some of what they did. As Frank said many times, it's all rock 'n roll, man, who cares?

To quote the title of their last album, I'm With You. Nothing wrong with the RHCP.
And I am just annoyed that some Kim faithful have to crap on Charles and especially Joe and Dave with the whole,"Now it's Frank Black + special guests and not the Pixies!" Bullshit.

But hey, happy days ahead, the band are back and sounding reinvigorated. Awesome.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  08:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel really sorry for that SPIN writer.

It must suck to want nothing more in your whole life than to write a timeless song or make an album that brings joy (or at least confusion) to millions of listeners worldwide and to be unable to accomplish either goal.

He also needs to learn the difference between someone resigning their job of their own free will and being "expunged."

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  08:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think what we have now is Frank Black and the Pixies. And it's fucking awesome.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  08:30:13  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nothing wrong with the Peppers. Other than they haven't done anything new or interesting to my ears since By The Way.

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  08:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am pretty sure that's the first time in the history of the universe that Kim Deal has been likened to Flea, though. :)

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  09:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

~ Nick Cave
Go to Top of Page

FrenchBl@ck
- FB Fan -

France
2 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  12:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:
Originally posted by matto
Nov 23: Zenith, Paris, France

That is the saddest news ever. I will never ever go back to the Zenith. Shittiest venue in Paris. Fuck them.

Denis

The sound for the reunion tour at the Zenith was awful to say the least but for the Doolittle 20th anniversary tour, still at the Zenith, I was really impressed by the quality of the sound : a clear mix (much better than the Olympia massacre).

I'll try to be there.

Maybe Mexico, maybe Spain, maybe Puerto Rico. But maybe right back in Boston.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  14:03:58  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There seems to be some line with RHCP where they
went from favoured to unfavoured, somewhere around
Californication.

If you found them around when Mother's Milk came
out, you are probably a fan, like me.

To new people they are a lightly funky popular band,
to me they are dangerous naked funk-punk pioneers
with the bassist from FEAR.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  21:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought there was more of a parallel with Jane's Addiction than RHCP, even Bagboy sounded like Just Because.
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  01:39:25  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wilson for all the information you provided.
Really exited about the new album.
Like most of you I dig UCL a lot.
Joey's siren sound is pure genius !
Go to Top of Page

kurtblack
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  06:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

And I am just annoyed that some Kim faithful have to crap on Charles and especially Joe and Dave with the whole,"Now it's Frank Black + special guests and not the Pixies!" Bullshit.

The Pixies were Charles, Kim, Joey and Dave. Take away Kim and obviously it's a different band. It's not the Pixies.

You can love the new band and the new band can call themselves the Pixies or anything else they want. But trying to pretend there is no difference is bullshit.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  08:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kurtblack

quote:

The Pixies were Charles, Kim, Joey and Dave. Take away Kim and obviously it's a different band. It's not the Pixies.

You can love the new band and the new band can call themselves the Pixies or anything else they want. But trying to pretend there is no difference is bullshit.

First of, no one here is pretending there is no difference. We've discussed the loss of Kim, both her voice and her overall presence, a lot on here. For me if Charles is there and Joey is there, it's Pixies. And I love Kim. I understand that is different for everyone. My issue is with the No Kim No Deal people who want to act so high and mighty and not even give the new music/lineup a chance. I'd wager most of these people just want to be up in arms and likely haven't even listened to most of BF's solo stuff or followed Kim post-Last Splash. It just sounds good to say I guess. Most of these people also have shitty things to say about BF and act like he is the evil meglomaniac who kicked Kim out because he is still jealous of her of something. They don't know the situation at all.

It's indicative of our current culture of outrage and judgement. Rather than challenge yourself to allow for change and acceptance of something you didn't want/expect, just rejecting it out of hand is easier. These 3 men are artists, want to make music, and feel what they are doing fits under the Pixies banner of asthetic. Cool, life goes on, why get so upset? Enjoy the music.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  10:31:47  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No Brian Jones, no Stones.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  11:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barrett void, no Floyd...Freddie unseen, no Queen...erm think I'll stop there, not a good example.

No Kim No Deal though? Just listen to something else then. Sorted.

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 07/08/2016 11:10:23
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  11:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If "Charles + Joey = Pixies" then TOTY is the best Pixies album in my opinion.

I like IC better when I tell myself it's just another FB post-pixies thing.

It's psychological.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  11:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I defer to MES. This point on the other hand is grade one nonsense.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  12:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PS some people appear quite unnerved by the quality of the new tunes. Hence their reapperance after mucho time away.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  12:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Include a category of: I love the new stuff but think of it differently than "The Pixies"
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  14:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm in between the "no Kim no deal" and "Kim is irrelevant" extremes. Losing Kim certainly was a big fucking deal, it was like losing a limb. She was pretty much the band's entire stage personality and her bassline was indisputably a key part of the sound. But losing a limb is not actually lethal, and now the patient appears to have fully recovered from a difficult transplant operation. Also, they're middle aged, it wouldn't have been the same anyway, and thank fuck for that as 50 year olds trying to be 20 are annoying. So yeah, they're a changed band, but that doesn't make them "not the Pixies", it just makes them a band that was changed by being subjected to something usually called life.

The Pixies were always driven mostly by BF and Joey, that fact hasn't actually changed (except Joey has become even more important since he is the one who booted BF's friend Kim S and brought in Paz).

TOTY the best Pixies album? I would go for that. But it's not actually valid. Joey was only involved on a few tracks there and even on them he didn't have the input that a full band member does. This theory also discounts Eric Drew Feldman and Lyle Workman, whose influence was much greater. But all of those songs could have been played by the Pixies and with Joey's full input they would have sounded like Pixies songs (although, to be fair, Joey would probably have canned a few of them).
Go to Top of Page

kurtblack
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  15:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

First of, no one here is pretending there is no difference. We've discussed the loss of Kim, both her voice and her overall presence, a lot on here. For me if Charles is there and Joey is there, it's Pixies. And I love Kim. I understand that is different for everyone. My issue is with the No Kim No Deal people who want to act so high and mighty and not even give the new music/lineup a chance. I'd wager most of these people just want to be up in arms and likely haven't even listened to most of BF's solo stuff or followed Kim post-Last Splash. It just sounds good to say I guess. Most of these people also have shitty things to say about BF and act like he is the evil meglomaniac who kicked Kim out because he is still jealous of her of something. They don't know the situation at all.

It's indicative of our current culture of outrage and judgement. Rather than challenge yourself to allow for change and acceptance of something you didn't want/expect, just rejecting it out of hand is easier. These 3 men are artists, want to make music, and feel what they are doing fits under the Pixies banner of asthetic. Cool, life goes on, why get so upset? Enjoy the music.

I was only responding to your point, ""Now it's Frank Black + special guests and not the Pixies!" Bullshit.

It's actually not the Pixies. The Pixies were Charles, Kim, Joey, and Dave.

I was not arguing anything else.
Go to Top of Page

kurtblack
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  15:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:

quote:

I defer to MES. This point on the other hand is grade one nonsense.

Thanks for your deep insight.
Go to Top of Page

grandmacaesar
- FB Fan -

29 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  17:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Women of War" is available for download here.

http://www.pixiesmusic.com/2016/07/head-carrier-the-new-album/

It's on the top right of the page.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  22:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^ been there for ages I think (and before that, it was Bagboy)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  23:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Pixies were Charles, Joey, Kim and David. It could be argued that the Pixies are now Charles,Joey, Paz and David.

But does it really matter?

Edited by - Stevio10 on 07/09/2016 00:49:50
Go to Top of Page

kurtblack
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  01:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

The Pixies were Charles, Joey, Kim and David. It could be argued that the Pixies are now Charles,Joey, Paz and David.

Obviously it does to some people.

My point, which I'll make again...

Some fans don't consider this new line up to be the Pixies... and someone here called that idea "bullshit". That is ridiculous.

Take away Kim and obviously it's a different band. It's not the Pixies. Trying to pretend there is no difference is what is "bullshit".

Edited by - kurtblack on 07/09/2016 05:03:34
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  02:05:29  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is the Pixies. See?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  05:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Obviously it does to some people.

My point, which I'll make again...

Some fans don't consider this new line up to be the Pixies... and someone here called that idea "bullshit". That is ridiculous.

Take away Kim and obviously it's a different band. It's not the Pixies. Trying to pretend there is no difference is what is "bullshit".

No, my point was that the concept of "BF + special guests" is bullshit. That's disrespectful to David and Joey to act like Kim was the only key component aside from Charles that constitutes Pixies. My personal opinion about what Pixies is obviously differs from yours, but if you aren't the one completely writing off Dave and Joey as part of the stew so I'm not calling bullshit on you. Ok?
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  05:31:00  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a friend who is a huge Deep Purple fan, and he was telling me about how whenever big DP fans talk about the band, they talk about "Mach II" or "Mach IV" or whatever, because that band has had a ton of lineup changes. It still remains Deep Purple, but Deep Purple in 1972 is waaaay different than Deep Purple in 2016.

That's sort of how I feel - I would argue, however, that the biggest change in the band's sound came not from a lineup change but from the time apart. There is no bigger jump, stylistically, than from Trompe to "Bam Thwok"/"Ain't That Pretty At All"/"All Around the World." The reunion shows/few recordings all showed a very, very different band.

Think about Joey pre and post-reunion. Post reunion, he's using far more effects, and using them in more 'gimmicky' ways. That's not a judgment call; there is something to be said for him processing his guitar more thoroughly. To me, that more processed sound is the single biggest change in the sonics of the band. Sure, neither Kim Shadduck or Paz really sounds like Kim, but they are, vocally and bass-wise, providing the same purpose. Joey's guitar on the new songs is NOT doing what he used to do on the older tunes. To me, his theatrics during "Vamos" live is the best indicator of the shift.

So, I think of pre-Trompe as Mach I, with Eric Drew Feldman was Mach II, reunion through Kim leaving as Mach III, the Kim Shadduck touring/Ding Archer handling the recording of Indie Cindy era as Mach IV (however brief), and we're currently in Mach V, the Paz era. Same band, different incarnation.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

kurtblack
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  07:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
My personal opinion about what Pixies is obviously differs from yours, but if you aren't the one completely writing off Dave and Joey as part of the stew so I'm not calling bullshit on you. Ok?

Four people form a band... if anyone leaves and is replaced... then it's OBVIOUSLY a different band. You can have whatever personal opinion you want but that is a fact.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  07:36:08  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Beatles, The Monkees, ABBA. Most other bands I can think of have had changes.

Edited by - hammerhands on 07/09/2016 07:37:09
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  07:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
My personal opinion about what Pixies is obviously differs from yours, but if you aren't the one completely writing off Dave and Joey as part of the stew so I'm not calling bullshit on you. Ok?

Four people form a band... if anyone leaves and is replaced... then it's OBVIOUSLY a different band. You can have whatever personal opinion you want but that is a fact.

Smh, we are going in circles. I'm done.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  07:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meanwhile... Here's Classic Masher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCZeaISMeHo Thanks Jake3

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

kurtblack
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  09:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Smh, we are going in circles. I'm done.

Going in circles? Hilarious.

No, you keep trying to expand the discussion outside of the simple point I made and desperately want to read into what I said.

And yes, you are done.

Here is your ass. Take it and go.
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  09:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even if Pixies are a different band than with Kim Deal, they are clearly better now. When Kim was with the band they were just playing the same songs for years and didn't produce any new music. The only original song they recorded with Kim in the past 10 years was Bam Thwok, and it was kind of a weak song overall.

Now that Kim has been out of the band for a few years the Pixies are set to release an album that sounds like it could stand up with some of their old stuff. If this is what a different Pixies is like, I'll take it. I'd much rather a Pixies that innovates and creates new music than what they were doing for the past 10 years when Kim was in the band. I liked Kim's presence and what she added to Pixies, but not if it means playing the same songs at every show and doing nothing new as a band.

Edited by - Skatealex1 on 07/09/2016 09:16:09
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  09:43:46  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
kurtblack, please go away.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000