Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:03:34  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncswho is playing that sweet harmonica?

Good question.

ha! actually its joey; but its a guitar, not a harmonica. don't ask me how he did it. we refer to it as the harmonica part, too. :-]

bf
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the song is really good and I love when that harmonica comes in at 2:16. It's perfect.
As for the "Bag Boy" chorus, I've been a fan since 1988 and it sure sounded like Kim Deal to me on first... and second... and third listens. I let it go though after reading that it was Dubs but I think there are gonna be lots of people who won't be able to get over learning it isn't K Deal. Nobody likes being had, and I bet there's a backlash from those folk. I'm still into it though after learning the big reveal. It stands on it's own IMO.
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:06:43  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Good question.

ha! actually its joey; but its a guitar, not a harmonica. don't ask me how he did it. we refer to it as the harmonica part, too. :-]

bf

actually, i'm wrong. I'm thinking about a different song; is there a harmonica in bagboy? lol! ha! it must strike me different; i'll check it out later and see wht the harmonica mystery is...

bf
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:07:17  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All this talk of Kim D, but I don't really get it. I'm listening to Bagboy and that, my friends, is the mutherfuckin Pixies. She's great and of course it's a bit sad, in a way, when someone leaves something, but she left the Pixies, she didn't disband them. Her choice, and all someone like me can do, who doesn't know her or any of the details, is wish her well and hope the reasons weren't too painful.

And go Ding! He's part of the Pixies set up, he's part of the Fall set up. That makes him just about the coolest musician there is...
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a harmonica??? Ok. The song sure is challenging a lot of assumptions.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:12:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Good question.

bf

I think it's possible to make anything sound like anything else these days lol Might as well just start using some synth? I wouldn't be adverse to that... I'm big on synth rock, especially of the indie variety. I'm sure you have probably already used synths, unless that was Joey on his guitar again on Bossanova?

Whatever you do please keep the late 80s 90s indie sound you were so much a part of alive, in whatever form comes to light.

I think your vocals sound really like the original Pixies days on Bag Boy.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:17:34  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thereīs some Theremin on Bossanova, if thatīs what you mean, Pot.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:17:49  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
actually, i'm wrong. I'm thinking about a different song; is there a harmonica in bagboy? lol! ha! it must strike me different; i'll check it out later and see wht the harmonica mystery is...

bf

Sound likes it 2m17s to 2m19s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGdSYPh5_BI
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:20:39  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Ok then. How and what was the point in getting a man to sing backing vocals, only to then make them sound exactly like a Kim Deal sample?

Do you think we want that?

I just want honest music in whatever form it comes out. You are not the same Pixies you were before. Please leave trying to sound like the past and just go with the flow.

We'd all probably like to hear something from what you recorded with Kim in Wales anyway, even if it's shite.

hi, pot (and everyone else!)

Just to clarify: mr. dubs has assisted me on several demos. On a demo for bagboy he sang some bv's (while I was on an errand), and when I came back there is the same exact vox track we are discussing. I did notice that it had sounded like k deal. and I liked it. I kept it. and when the rest of the band and gil norton heard it, they liked it, too, and, so, we kept it. there is no agenda here except to make cool rock music.

we are aware of certain opinions regarding the band and new music. generally, they fall into 3 camps:

1) keep your original sound intact.

2) please, ignore your old sound and develop a new sound.

3) stop making all music

we actually don't subscribe to either agenda 1 or 2 (agenda 3 seems ridiculous as we are all working musicians and probably always will be). we make music. if it sounds like "the pixies of 1989", so be it. that is our background. if it sounds "new", great! we like it when new things develop.

bf

Edited by - blckfrncs on 07/01/2013 09:43:10
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some serious delusion going on...

Anyhoo, glad BF cleared it so we all know Kim isn't on any of the new stuff. Also, that there IS new stuff, in addition to Bagboy. Keeps getting better and better.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:33:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kim Deal also gave me a special mention at the SECC too :-D

Mr Black Francis, I love that you all still make music, and it's all still good. nothing will compare to the Pixies but you have written more than a few classic songs in your time apart from the Pixies that I love to and go back to from time to time and will (hopefully) never forget.

My best wishes to you et al for the future and hope I can get to the Barrowlands for the November gig somehow.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:37:01  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Compare Bag Boy to this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lddDZjEZam0

It's not apples and pears is it?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Ok then. How and what was the point in getting a man to sing backing vocals, only to then make them sound exactly like a Kim Deal sample?

Do you think we want that?

I just want honest music in whatever form it comes out. You are not the same Pixies you were before. Please leave trying to sound like the past and just go with the flow.

We'd all probably like to hear something from what you recorded with Kim in Wales anyway, even if it's shite.

hi, pot (and everyone else!)

Just to clarify: mr. dubs has assisted me on several demos. On a demo for bagboy he sang some bv's (while I was on an errand), and when I came back there is the same exact vox track we are discussing. I did notice that it had sounded like k deal. and I liked it. I kept it. and when the rest of the band and gil norton heard it, they liked it, too, and, so, we kept it. there is no agenda here except to make cool rock music.

we are aware of certain opinions regarding the band and new music. generally, they fall into 2 camps:

2) please, don't ignore your old sound and develop a new sound.

3) stop making all music

we actually don't subscribe to either agenda 1 or 2 (agenda 3 seems ridiculous as we are all working musicians and probably always will be). we make music. if it sounds like "the pixies of 1989", so be it. that is our background. if it sounds "new", great! we like it when new things

A-freakin-MEN! Now that's a healthy approach.
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:44:55  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cptnpasty

All this talk of Kim D, but I don't really get it. I'm listening to Bagboy and that, my friends, is the mutherfuckin Pixies. She's great and of course it's a bit sad, in a way, when someone leaves something, but she left the Pixies, she didn't disband them. Her choice, and all someone like me can do, who doesn't know her or any of the details, is wish her well and hope the reasons weren't too painful.

And go Ding! He's part of the Pixies set up, he's part of the Fall set up. That makes him just about the coolest musician there is...

Ding is.....very cool.

bf
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:48:56  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdYBvwq3Mq4
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:53:05  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpWVk3h2SA8
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

there's a harmonica?

Yes. After perhaps the first chorus of "Bagboys..." the harmonica plays that same melody leading into the next verse.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

we are aware of certain opinions regarding the band and new music. generally, they fall into 3 camps:

3) stop making all music

we actually don't subscribe to either agenda 1 or 2 (agenda 3 seems ridiculous as we are all working musicians and probably always will be). we make music. if it sounds like "the pixies of 1989", so be it. that is our background. if it sounds "new", great! we like it when new things develop.

bf

Holy shit, you knocked it out the park. You may have cured us of stupid criticism/speculation forever.

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Good question.

bf

bf

Shit. Saw this too late. I could have sworn it was a harmonica.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  10:03:59  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love chatting with you guys on the internet about music and Frank Black related stuff. Please stop being so negative though. I am an anarchist by nature as are my thoughts, everyone needs to be free to express themselves in whichever way they feel. With respect for everyone else of course. Only more offence can be gained from restricting the freedom of expression, it's a fundamental law of anything that is.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  10:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In pot's defence (and with all due respect), BF isn't going to read one of his posts and cancel new Pixies material. It's fair to say we can all bitch and moan and discuss and yell without much fear of it influencing the band. Specially now that BF himself has weighed in as such!
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  10:20:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
re the harmonica on Bagboy, and Charles saying Joey's guitar sounding like a harmonica is on another track, maybe it could be on Greens And Blues.
I heard in the solo renditions by BF that at one time during a bridge he sings "wow wow wow" as if mimicking Joey's guitar bends (like on early demos on Frank Black Francis). Now I can't stop thinking it's the harmonica-guitar he was referring to...

Charles, I like it so much that Dave has some backing vocals, the reunion tour and especially the Doolittle tour showed me he kinda improved a lot his vocal skills, and I like to hear him. As for having a very friendly Kim replacing a rather grumpy Kim (though eternally worthy of unreserved eulogyl), I find it very fitting and the symbology behind it is cool and promising. Finally, having Ding onboard is perfect. I remember seeing him live during the Blufinger / Svn fngrs tour in Paris, Lille and Brussels and he was such a great and natural addition. If you could get Charles Normal to play third guitar on some songs (like those from Trompe Le Monde) this would really be the best 'hybrid' stage band I could imagine for you.

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Edited by - sdon on 07/01/2013 10:24:57
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  11:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:

3) stop making all music

bf

Holy shit, you knocked it out the park. You may have cured us of stupid criticism/speculation forever.

but.... it's what we're good at

green star member since 2006. smb?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  11:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Charles for chiming in, it is very appreciated.

Though the Bagboy vocal reveal is still a shock, I am nonetheless quite excited to hear how it (and other new material) will sound live with Kim Shattuck.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  11:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh matto
Imagine Dead Man's Curve with Joey and Dave!
Or Fort Wayne, Tight Black Rubber, Living on Soul, Ten Percenter...
bliss

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  11:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Violet posted a pretty eloquent insight into the last few weeks on her FB page today.

quote:
I will say this now, and then take down my post in exactly one hour:

Regarding the past nine years: If anyone thinks it was easy for the other Pixies to function and be a vital, real band, with the bass player that they had, then they simply don't know what I know. I've seen people glibly talk smack about the reunion tours being just about making money. That maybe *someone we all know* simply rejected the new material because it was sub-par and she's discriminating and is protective of the legacy, etc etc. But you have no idea.... NO IDEA. Sometimes people are challenged, and they are difficult to work with. Sometimes these people did a lot of damage to themselves with alcohol and drugs. And its hard to reason with people who aren't reasonable. If you long for the original bass player to be in the band, then you are casting your vote for the other three members of the otherwise vital, eager Pixies to roll over and die, to be imprisoned within the shells of their former creative selves, and to struggle vainly, and/or sell out, forever. The time came for a jailbreak. Rejoice!

Good for her, Charles, Joey & David. Brings a little bit of clarification to the last near-decade of touring old hits and lifts a lot of the cynicism I've developed towards the reunion.

"I've got my own gas tanks."
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  11:49:17  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why say something and then take it down in hour?

Just say it, let it out there. It's your thoughts. They are inside your head, let them out into the universe or else what it is the point in having them?
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  11:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, well said. Go Violet! I've always thought all that crap about not tarnishing legacy was precisely what was tarnishing the legacy the most--what was slowly turning them into the Eagles. Phew, that was quite a post.
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  11:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

3) stop making all music

Since when do snakes follow agendas anyway? Please keep feeling your way, your true fans expect nothing less. Meanwhile, Bagboy has grown on me like a fungus like most of your stuff does, and it's a delicious fungus. I just got my ticket to Amsterdam for October 5th, which will be the first time I see either the Pixies or yourself live.

(By the way, Paolo Conte is doing some shows in Amsterdam and Paris in October and November, not long after the Pixies tour ends... http://www.songkick.com/artists/138586-paolo-conte/calendar)

- M.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  11:59:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never been to the Paradiso McDutchie I'm orange with envy right now. Nearest gig they are playing to me is the barrows, and I think the last band I ever saw there was The Wedding Present in 1993/4? I saw them twice there I think in the early 90s along with a load of other bands, Motorhead, Sepultura, Faith No More, Prong, I think that's it. It's a great venue and i hope somehow I can get a hold of a ticket. If not then I can always content myself with seeing BF at Doornroosije in Nijmegen in 2007/2008. If they announce a gig there then I am finding the money some way or another and going.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  12:00:06  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yo bitches. pot is my name and hanging on top of thread pages is my game
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  12:09:36  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really like the video to Bag Boy, but it's not nearly as good as this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSpM9zDPwj4
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  12:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McDutchie
I just got my ticket to Amsterdam for October 5th, which will be the first time I see either the Pixies or yourself live.

You lucky thing! Prepared to be blown away....
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  15:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a little time to digest the new song and I am digging it the more I listen. Bring on the US leg of the tour and I hope there are more releases to follow. I guess it turns out Pixies can be Pixies without Kim, cuz this is definitely Pixies.
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  15:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and not just because they called it Pixies, but becuz it sounds like it.

I just spelled because 3 different ways in 2 posts! I could have spelled it differently again, but that would have been showy.

Edited by - moonruler on 07/01/2013 17:13:16
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000