- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  20:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

quote:
Originally posted by kurtblack
Four people form a band... if anyone leaves and is replaced... then it's OBVIOUSLY a different band. You can have whatever personal opinion you want but that is a fact.

And as those people age they change. Therefore OBVIOUSLY they become a different band. You can have whatever personal opinion you want but that is a fact. Fun game.

The idea that you can't the flaw in your "logic" and you think you made a point is amusing.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  20:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think anyone disputes it's a different line up. You're right, it's not the original lineup.

That much is a fact.

However, does that fact translate into it being a different band? Literally speaking, perhaps, but I guess bands or artists don't view their art in such literal terms and is more of a grey area.

In my view, it can't be subject to a simple yes or no answer if it's a different band. Different line up yes, but different band is not the same thing, figuratively speaking.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  21:18:34  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, did you hear there's a new album by a band named Pixies coming out in a couple months?
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  21:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question is not so much if they're a different band (which they are to some extent), but if they are a better band.
In their ability to play old songs, they sure are as good as Pixies 1.0, and probably better in the "more professional" sense.
In their new compositions, not sure yet, but I for one think that Bagboy + Boom + Cindy is a consistent and qualitative trio that is as good or better than some songs on Trompe.
Um Chagga Lagga is very promising in terms of sound and spirit (even if I stand by my position that it's a relatively poor and lazy composition). Classic Masher, Head Carrier and Baal seem to be of another caliber.

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Edited by - sdon on 07/10/2016 21:25:41
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  00:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this whole argument is weird, but I'm chiming in anyway. I'm surprised no one's mentioned the many Breeders lineups.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  01:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me, the Pixies started being a different band the day Joey swapped his Peavey combo for a big Marshall and had to return his nice-souding gold top LP to Kim . That's a fact.

Then 10 years passed. Different sound.

Then BF butchered his old japanese specials. Different sound.

Then David lowered his cymbals and started using a traditional grip more often. Boom, different sound.

Then they swapped the bass player 2 times. Different sound.

And yet they still dare to call themselves "Pixies" !?? Where can I get a refund ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 07/11/2016 01:03:40
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  05:20:05  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good call picpic. It seems like they use a lot more humbuckers for rhythm now as well, which is partly why all the new stuff is really crunchy vs that classic jangly sharp single coil tele sound. Not sure why they would bother trying to recreate sounds from the glory days anyway when their whole early catalog was all about moving forward and aggressively changing and modifying their sound and approach with each album. Why would new material be any different in that regard?

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  07:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone at Brixton tonight?
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  07:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wilson, will there be a special announcement tonight?

--
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  07:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you from UK wilson? Brixton a wee bit too far to go for me, hoping for a Scotland date when they announce the next shows.

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  08:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wilson, will you perform onstage ? A la Bob Santiago ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  09:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm about 5 rows back on Paz's side, support have just finished..
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  09:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the updates. Enjoy it :)
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  09:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if Wilson was BF?

--

Edited by - sdon on 07/11/2016 09:43:41
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  11:35:15  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Record vids everybody! New songs need to be heard and dissected here!
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  14:08:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha! i live in brixton so couldn't not go ..

the pit went wild for baals, was so cool to see. also played head carrier, masher and UCL which i guess has been the norm this tour?

Edited by - wilson on 07/11/2016 14:08:16
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  14:34:56  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just posted this in the Brixton show forum, but couldn't help posting here too. Finally, Baal's Back! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0hqnHTe2fk
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  15:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
beef! i'd be intrigued to hear what you guys think from this clip (joey's parts are lost, with the exception of the flubbed solo)
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  17:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilson

beef! i'd be intrigued to hear what you guys think from this clip (joey's parts are lost, with the exception of the flubbed solo)

Lol, that solo did sound pretty wack. Thought he was repeating his part from UCL. I really can't wait to hear BF's studio vocals on that.

Jonesing it hear Head Carrier now.

Edited by - natenate101 on 07/11/2016 17:03:50
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  17:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

Everybody being here is going to make me cry. Hi darwin.

Howdy hammer.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  17:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kurtblack
The idea that you can't the flaw in your "logic" and you think you made a point is amusing.

The FACT you can't recognize being mocked is sad. So sad.

Here's a hint: we all know the band is different. Not the same. But things can change and still retain the same name. Sports teams! They change rosters every year (even within a season) and yet they don't change their name. My 2016 Red Sox are the Red Sox, just like my 2004 Red Sox. That's a FACT.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  17:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@wilson, which (if any) of the other album tracks would you say seem most likely to transition well in a live show?
We have them playing these 4 new songs, so I'm curious what may come next if they add a few as they go.

How was the Brixton show overall? Did Head Carrier and Classic Masher translate well for you?
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  19:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wilson, which track will be featured in the video shot in Toulouse?

--
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  23:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

Excellent news! Feelin' pretty pumped!

Anyone else notice the song titles being recorded? [Down In] Toulon, [Classic] Masher, [I Like To] Drive, Head Carrier and [Wasted] Talent are all visibly present.

Wonder if we'll ever hear Down In Toulon and I Like To Drive, recorded but not on Head Carrier's tracklist

--
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  23:45:01  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And then there's Super Lecker..... not sure if that was ever recorded.... But it looks like the band will have a good handful of b-sides/extras in case they want to release a surprise EP or something next year. :)
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  01:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

@wilson, which (if any) of the other album tracks would you say seem most likely to transition well in a live show?
We have them playing these 4 new songs, so I'm curious what may come next if they add a few as they go.

How was the Brixton show overall? Did Head Carrier and Classic Masher translate well for you?

they all sounded really good, but masher did feel a bit flat even though i was so excited to be seeing it live after all these years. listened again this morning and figured out why - the chorus is very layered and i'm fairly certain i can hear keys deep within the mix. then the record ran into 'might as well be gone' and i realised keys live on that chorus too, though much more obviously.

despite being relatively raw, there sure is a lot of depth to this record. i'm on about 30 listens and i'm still discovering nuances that weren't noticeable to my ears prior.

re: toulouse track, looked around for a video but couldn't spot. can anyone point me in the right direction?

Edited by - wilson on 07/12/2016 03:10:03
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  03:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No video yet, just pictures posted on social media

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  06:33:40  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like a bit of a tripping hazard they got there...
Is BF rocking a 'stache?

Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  07:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not the best quality but here's Masher from Lisbon on the 7th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2VkSU3Ww2o
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  07:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

Not the best quality but here's Masher from Lisbon on the 7th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2VkSU3Ww2o

Sounds like a real quality song. It all works.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  08:30:31  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That "toot toots" line - kind of cringe at that one. Maybe it will grow on me.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  09:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's weird, I prefer both "Classic Masher" and "Silver Snail" as solo acoustic pieces than the band versions, and I don't think it is coincidental that those two tracks sounded (perhaps) the most like solo FB stuff in their acoustic debuts.

Not that I dislike either full band version, but to me, "Classic Masher" had a real drive to it that is somewhat obscured by the arrangement. "Silver Snail," too, seems a little tentative with the full band.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  13:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

I find this version better
http://youtu.be/fCZeaISMeH

--
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  22:23:22  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find that that version doesn't exist....
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  01:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

I find that that version doesn't exist....

sorry : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCZeaISMeHo

--
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000