-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Show Me Your Tears
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3150 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  01:59:16  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This album has been missing from my collection, but I just listening to it a few times streaming on the FB.net site (where you can listen to all his albums now) and it's really good! Now wonder this album wasn't for sale for 4.74 on iTunes, it is definately one of the better Catholics records, probably my favourite. They really got the prodution sound right on this one, I even like the twangy country and western style guitars. Nice to hear a bit of hammond organ as well, but a bit more would be better still.

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2633 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  03:31:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember being really pleased with it, driving my wife's car (cd compatible) and singing along. I'll have to dust it off.
Go to Top of Page

ruzom
= Cult of Ray =

France
267 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  08:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently listened to Everything is New again for the first time since ages, and in my opinion it is really a terrific recording, as well as a great song and a great performance. Probably my favorite on the record(it was Manitoba when the album was released, 'curiously').

Edited by - ruzom on 04/29/2010 08:33:24
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1577 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  09:41:00  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coincidentally, my current favourite from the album is
Massif Centrale.

I've been trying to get an Irish band to cover When Will
Happiness Find Me Again.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1088 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  13:50:08  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Always been a HUGE fan of Tears. Best Catholics since Dog.



Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2563 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  02:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a really great album. I think it sort of foreshadowed the Nashville records with the more personal writing, but with the classic Catholics country sound.

It's tough for me to pick just one favourite track.


"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7381 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  02:47:06  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't listened to it in a while, but yeah, it's one of my fave Catholics records. Hard to pick a favorite actually, FB&TC, DiTS, BLD and SMYT are my Catholics holy trinity (of 4).


Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1088 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  08:42:16  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

I haven't listened to it in a while, but yeah, it's one of my fave Catholics records. Hard to pick a favorite actually, FB&TC, DiTS, BLD and SMYT are my Catholics holy trinity (of 4).


Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."



Holy Quadity?



Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  08:52:16  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The man poured his heart out on this one. Beautiful.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3299&SearchTerms=,interview

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2796&SearchTerms=,interview

If Coastline and/or Horrible Day are in the setlist, no matter what else is played, I go home a very happy man.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  12:40:06  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think some of the songs on there are even more country than any of the stuff on the nashville sessions. manitoba is great but one of my least faves. imho the best recording from those sessions is the bside cover down in the hole by r.s. sooooo good.

coastline and the snake are also my faves, and sometimes massif centrale.

________________________________
my band: www.myspace.com/mollybang

Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2633 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  16:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYVpY7oHEXY

edit- sorry, I think you wanted this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yADKuCjiSb0&feature=related

enki enki... in your drinky

Edited by - danjersey on 04/30/2010 17:25:14
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2253 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  23:57:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really good to read those interviews.

'SMYT' is a funny one. I don't particularly love any of the songs on their own, but as a whole, it's one of the most satisfying and enjoyable albums to listen to.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  04:35:31  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
one of my all time favorites. classy production and songs.

"my favorite kiss"!

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3054 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  11:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

It's a really great album. I think it sort of foreshadowed the Nashville records



Absolutely, Stu. Coastline and Manitoba are perfect lead-ins for Honeycomb.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  12:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i loved the overt country on SMYT, so i was excited that he was going to follow it up with a "nashville record." i ended up being disappointed that HC wasn't exactly country.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7381 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2012 :  02:39:19  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just dusted off this record... Holy shit it's even better than what I remembered. On par with Exile On Main Street IMO - with better guitar parts.


Denis


Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2012 :  03:25:45  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what with hurricane nadine rearing its head, i've been meaning to give it a spin.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

869 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2012 :  03:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was listening to this album that made me conclude that best-ofs are a terrible idea. Thanks to 93-03 and its bonus disc I had already heard the likes of Manitoba, Massif Centrale, Horrible Day and Nadine loads of times so that dissipated the pleasure of listening to SMYT somewhat, reducing the "omfg" impact it could have had on me.

Still a grand ol' album regardless: Everything Is New, Jaina Blues, Coastline and WWHFMA are all very nice indeed.

Go to Top of Page

teenager94
- FB Fan -

Ireland
42 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  04:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's all very true because that particular collection didn't have the 'best of' smyt on it. Personal favourites are 'When will happiness find me again?' and 'The snake'. I actually lost my copy of smyt, but wasn't to pushed to re - discover due to what was on the 93 - 03. However, when I did buy it again I remembered that it had some really good songs.
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

It was listening to this album that made me conclude that best-ofs are a terrible idea. Thanks to 93-03 and its bonus disc I had already heard the likes of Manitoba, Massif Centrale, Horrible Day and Nadine loads of times so that dissipated the pleasure of listening to SMYT somewhat, reducing the "omfg" impact it could have had on me.

Still a grand ol' album regardless: Everything Is New, Jaina Blues, Coastline and WWHFMA are all very nice indeed.



Go to Top of Page

teenager94
- FB Fan -

Ireland
42 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  04:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's an amazing interview, never realised he had Aberdonian ancestry!! I would have an interest as it's my part of the world. Also, you would never know from performances that he preferred bigger venues. Those shows touring DITS and SMYT inlcuded smaller venues in London, but still amazing gigs.
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

The man poured his heart out on this one. Beautiful.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3299&SearchTerms=,interview

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2796&SearchTerms=,interview

If Coastline and/or Horrible Day are in the setlist, no matter what else is played, I go home a very happy man.

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

869 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  05:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny you should say that about The Snake, I've always considered it one of the worst songs off the album. Has some nice elements like the sax solo but it doesn't sound all that (for want of a better word) cohesive to my ears. It's all down to differing tastes and that though, I know.

quote:
"I have Scots ancestors from Aberdeen so this will be a real homecoming for me," explains Black.

"My family were murderers and robbers who roamed Scotland hundreds of years ago.


This is pretty cool. Reminded me of this chap:
http://aghyaran.freeservers.com/page6.html (Proinsias Dubh = Black Francis in Irish)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Francis_Corrigan
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7381 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  06:04:09  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2 things I love about The Snake:
- FB is one of the few artists who can pull off a song that has a sax solo. This song sounds soooo much like early Roxy Music, it's amazing.
- and the song totally rocked live. That's how I started to love it, after hearing it live in 2003.


Denis


Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

teenager94
- FB Fan -

Ireland
42 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  06:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Lemon tree Black Francis is referring to in Aberdeen is a really small Indie venue. All great Scottish indie bands played their on their way to fame and fortune, Marychain etc. Never realised Pixies were up there in 89, but it fits in with those times.....
Go to Top of Page

teenager94
- FB Fan -

Ireland
42 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  06:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was like me with Hemaphroditos. Until I heard the explosive live version I never really appreciated it.
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

2 things I love about The Snake:
- FB is one of the few artists who can pull off a song that has a sax solo. This song sounds soooo much like early Roxy Music, it's amazing.
- and the song totally rocked live. That's how I started to love it, after hearing it live in 2003.


Denis


Obsidiana Bijoux

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3054 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  09:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also like the song "Show Me Your Tears." Anyone know why it's not on the album of the same name?
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5433 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  17:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

2 things I love about The Snake:
- FB is one of the few artists who can pull off a song that has a sax solo. This song sounds soooo much like early Roxy Music, it's amazing.




How dare you sir!!!
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  22:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

I also like the song "Show Me Your Tears." Anyone know why it's not on the album of the same name?

I don't know but I can think of another album named that way. PJ Harvey's album Dry did not feature the song Dry. That song appeared on her next album. I wonder if BLT can think of another example.

Actually I think I remember FB being asked that question in some interview but I can't recall what he said.

_______________
Ed is the hoo hoo
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7381 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  22:51:26  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders
PJ Harvey's album Dry did not feature the song Dry. That song appeared on her next album. I wonder if BLT can think of another example.



Led Zep - Houses of the Holy


Denis


Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7381 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  23:40:27  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
admit it, darwin - FB is a Roxy Music fan and so should you.


Denis


Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  00:54:13  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:
Originally posted by coastline

I also like the song "Show Me Your Tears." Anyone know why it's not on the album of the same name?

I don't know but I can think of another album named that way. PJ Harvey's album Dry did not feature the song Dry. That song appeared on her next album. I wonder if BLT can think of another example.

Actually I think I remember FB being asked that question in some interview but I can't recall what he said.




I don't recall how the song goes but having just read the lyrics it's quite a personal song even by SMYT standards. I'd say maybe it was left off because it was too real, too honest, too frank, but then it gets released on iTunes so that shoots that theory down.

Maybe it wasn't good enough or the shrink said show me 13 salty tears not 14.

Is 13 a good number for a snake?
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  00:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, nice. Thank you Dr fbc. I concur with your diagnosis.

_______________
Ed is the hoo hoo
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3150 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  01:12:46  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is my thread trobriander, I would like it very much if you created your own thread for discussing Show Me Your Tears

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  01:20:43  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha I knew that was coming :)
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  01:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

This is my thread trobriander, I would like it very much if you created your own thread for discussing Show Me Your Tears

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Deal. I'll stay out of this one if you'll stay out of the god thread.

_______________
Ed is the hoo hoo
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3150 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  01:44:01  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check the link and learn what 'sarcasm' means. there's a new word for you today
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  01:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cut the crap. Deal or no deal?

_______________
Ed is the hoo hoo
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000