New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  02:10:12  Show Profile
This interview was in Aberdeen's Press and Journal/Evening Express (I cannot find the name of the author online):

CATHOLICS FRONTMAN IS LOOKING FOR FUN IN SCOTLAND

16:00 - 18 September 2003

When Frank Black, former frontman of the legendary Pixies, found his marriage collapsing after 16 years, he fled to Scotland.

But even being among the rolling hills of the Highlands couldn't snap him out of his depression.

Six months on from that lonely trip, the 38-year-old singer returns with his band, The Catholics, as part of a major European tour.

Talking to the Evening Express from his California home, Black admits he is determined to have a better experience this time.

"I was in Scotland a few months ago just driving around on my own.

"Unfortunately it wasn't the best time in my life because of the divorce.

"I was just driving through all these beautiful places in Scotland feeling absolutely miserable and depressed.

"It wasn't the best trip I have ever had!

"But I can't wait to get back over again, in a better frame of mind, and play some concerts."

Black plays The Lemon Tree next Saturday to promote his ninth post-Pixies release, Show Me Your Tears.

Recorded direct on to a two-track, the album is strikingly personal by the Californian-born singer's standards.

His trademark references to 50s B-Movie kitsch and flying saucers have been ditched in favour of songs tinged with hurt and regret.

Black is remarkably upbeat ... until asked if the album was shaped by his recent divorce.

After a long, painful pause on the phone he responds: "Yeah ... the divorce. That definitely had a big influence on the new record.

"I was feeling some very strong emotions which were not all that positive.

"There is nothing like a divorce to bring the sadness out of you. That is life, though, and it happens to many people. You just have to pick yourself up and get on with things."

It has been 10 years since The Pixies split and rumours are rife of a much-anticipated re-union.

Murmurs began when Black hinted in a recent radio show: "I do dream about a reunion."

For the moment he is content focusing on his prolific output with The Catholics.

With rave reviews for Show Me Your Tears, the stripped emotion of his new album could give Black a level of success he has not enjoyed since The Pixies' heyday.

"One thing I do miss about Pixies is playing bigger clubs," he continues.

"I prefer those bigger theatres which play to 2,000 people because the atmosphere is better and the sound is perfect.

"The concerts in places like that are a much bigger spectacle.

"It would be great to get back to playing concerts of that size.

"The feedback from Europe about this new album has been good so far, so it would be nice if this was a breakthrough record.

"However, it's not like I'm losing sleep about not being as big as Pixies.

"I have been doing new stuff for a decade now and as long as recording and writing doesn't start to become tedious, that's more than OK.

"I am not looking for that elusive breakthrough record although I am not denying it would be convenient ... especially with the divorce."

A packed Lemon Tree is expected for Black's first show in Aberdeen for over 10 years, following a sell-out concert by The Pixies at The Venue in 1989.

And the enigmatic Black, the 'descendant of murderers and robbers,' can't wait for a triumphant return to the Granite City.

"I have Scots ancestors from Aberdeen so this will be a real homecoming for me," explains Black.

"My family were murderers and robbers who roamed Scotland hundreds of years ago.

"They were hunted down like dogs but got out of Dodge across to America.

"That's the type of ancestors I spring from and I can't wait to meet up with them in Aberdeen."

No man is an island, unless he is in the bath

Edited by - Ten Percenter on 10/01/2003 03:43:49

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5976 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  04:58:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
great interview

I do think SMYT is a murder record

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  14:25:16  Show Profile
"show me your tears, or i'll slit your throat, goddammit!!!"

doo doo doo...
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  22:26:42  Show Profile
Larger clubs!!! That's nuts. The smaller venues are always better; ALWAYS! Well Imma gonna be selfish and say I hope the Pixies never reunite and Frank never gets any bigger than he is now. Keep him down and struggling to please is what I say. Ok, I'm only half kidding; the guy deserves a break but I don't think it'd be as fun. There was a day when Frank reveled in being a cult hero, now all he seems to want is his mass notoriety back and I think that might be a sad thing.

Edited by - realmeanmotorscutor on 10/02/2003 09:46:09
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  09:16:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Brackish Girl

"show me your tears, or i'll slit your throat, goddammit!!!"

doo doo doo...

hahahaha
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  09:26:19  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
Larger clubs!!! That's nuts. The smaller venues are always better; ALWAYS! Well Imma gonna be selfish and say I hope the Pixies never reunite and Frank never gets any bigger than he is now. Keep him down and struggling to please is what I say. Ok, I'm only half kidding; the guy deserves a break but I don't think it's be as fun. There was a day when Frank reveled in being a cult hero, now all he seems to want is his mass notoriety back and I think that might be a sad thing.

Ummmm....I believe thats fair...
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  09:47:12  Show Profile
Are you being sarcastic? Honestly, I can't tell. Anyway, I did say I was only half kidding. I don't really want him held back in any way, I'm just scared is all.
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  09:50:02  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
No sarcasm here my friend...
but i wouldn't be too scared...
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  10:25:16  Show Profile
yeah I'm starting to think being scared is a slap in the face to Frank. Here's my reluctant but ultimately confident change of heart.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2930&whichpage=3
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  16:14:37  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Wow..i'm loving these interviews...thanks Andy!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000