OOR magazine interview
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5976 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  06:18:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address

This is gonna take some time

I'm not gonna include the journalistic stories,only the interview.
So it may not seem a real good piece of journalism to you.
Hey I have to translate this. If you want to read it, learn dutch!

Some intro stuff before the interview:

''This is my story, everyone is allowed to hear it. I became very tired of always protecting myself.''

Frank Black likes to talk about his personal life, about his divorce and therapy.

''Journalists are like schrinks and because mine is in the US, it's good the continue my therapy in interviews.''

OOR: I never thought I would be hearing that from you. That you like to talk about your problems, especialy not to strangers.

FB: A year ago I couldn't have thought of it either. But I've become another man. Look, I always protected my private life from the moment I was in the pixies. When it became clear my wife and I were heading for a divorce, I was so hurt that there was nothing to protect anymore. Everything was broken. It was time to open my mouth.

OOR: So the once so clossed Frank Black suddenly told everything to a schrink. Very weird

FB: Funny enough I liked talking with a psychiatrist right away. Because I was so tired of protecting myself. In my life I've never been really emotionally attached to people. I was, especially when I was on tour, an emotionless machine. I never told a stranger something about myself. I didn't want people who I didn't know, to know anything personal about me. So I kept on pushing people away.
Nowadays I'm more relaxed.

OOR: You don't send fans away who are comming into your dressingroom?

FB: Not directly. Fans are still a thread, especially the ones who are drunk and think to know you. But I'm less scared of people. So I discovered that you can have a good conversation with people right away. I never talked to women for years. When you're on the road it's difficult to protect your relation. When women come near you and want something of you, you push them away. But now I can see that really not everyone wants to go to bed with me.
I trust my sense more, instead of deciding nobody can come in contact with me. That's the important lesson: I don't have to see people as a thread automatically. And that I too belong to the human race.

OOR: Before the therapy you were doomed to be an outsider?

FB: Yes, totally. I toured for months and when I got home I would find the first people I would trust. That pattern is in me since I was a child. My parents were very crazy (fuckin crazy is possible, but I don't think he said that) and moved around a lot. They were always in trouble so we never stayed anywhere longer than a year. Sometimes I had to pack my boxes after 3 months. When I made my friends it was time to move 1000's of miles. I was very proud of being totally indepedent, years later I discovered that I could bond not so easy because I never had the change as a child.
Yeah, you're learning stuff when you're in therapy.

Ok I have to go now
I will finish this after the weekend

He says some really interesting things.
About he and Jean never wanted to part, aren't mad or anything. But he wants to have childeren and she doesn't.

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  06:31:46  Show Profile
Thanks for the translation Bill/Yop!

No man is an island, unless he is in the bath
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  07:22:05  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Great interview. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  09:32:00  Show Profile
Very interesting interview, by the sound of it. I had wondered about they more personal angle of late, since it seemed so out of character. I guess it's in character now... I'd also never imagine Frank getting broody -- hope he doesn't go soft in the head!
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  09:36:39  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
He has seemed more open to people in the last two years, just based on interactions he's had with people on this board - so it is cool to hear him say the reasoning behind that and how he does feel that change.

I am rambling, but basically THANKS. Very cool.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  17:37:50  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Cheers for the translation Bill, that probably the most interesting Frank interview Ive read, looking forward to reading the rest of the interview after the translation.

Ive been scouring the Beijing free publications for SMYT reviews, but so far had no luck. Saying that, last night I picked up the latest edition of Thats Beijing (a magazine for ex-pats.... and a great toiler read), where they reviewed St Anger by Metalicca.... that was released ages ago so I might be waiting a while.

Bacon....... Its not fantastic
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  09:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Indeed, thanks for the translation, Jop, very worth it. Definitely the most new content as far as I've read in some time.
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  13:54:57  Show Profile
great stuff. one can tell the theoretical orientation of his psychotherapist just by reading interviews with mr black.
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  22:26:32  Show Profile
Just wanted to keep this topic alive, as I'm really interested in the rest. thanks a lot bill
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5976 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  10:06:31  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
Ok tommorow I will post the rest of the article
and complain about the shit review SMYT got from the same magazine

the photo's are really cool aswell
but I don't have a scanner

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5976 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  06:11:11  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
remaining questions article:

OOR: You went in to therapy because of your divorce and bang! the psychiatrist took your whole life?

FB: I saw the divorce comming and had a crisis. When you start talking there are always problems which don't relate to the divorce who see daylight. As a child you learn rituals you're not aware of: I was always very excited (in a wrong way as in pettish, bad humour) when the phone rang. Especially when someone said: This is a bad time, I will call you in ten minutes. Then I would be waiting strained. Untill the moment I put my telephone on the floor so it would ring less louder. My schrink asked me why I had these things. I had no idea. Probably my partents were afraid for bad phonecalls. Now I've learned to analyse my fears. I don't try to get over them, but to understand them.

OOR: Is it sad this selfreflection comes in a very sad time in your life? If you had solved things sooner maybe the pain you're dealing with now would have stayed away?

FB: It's indeed hard. I hope I can learn to deal with it. But still, my life is better now than it was before, when I was too tense and didn't know why. So yes, I gained something. And they say time heals all wounds. So I'm waiting.

And you have digisted (?) your pain in your most personal record to date in the mean time. Is it a therapeutic record?

FB: That sounds too much like a ''complain (?) record'' and it isn't a complain and heavy album. But it's my most honest record.
All the songs are about relationships. In the past,present and future. That last one (future) is indeed therapeutic. I needed it to see a future again. In that way 'Massif Central'' is about my wish to move to that area. To search for something I know I'm searching for (already). It seemed lovely to me to snuggle under a rock and shelter untill the worst pain dissapeared. It was nice to write a song about a desire that could be for real. I'm not the type that is open about his problems. I'm gonna work on it immediatly. In search of certainty. Without certainty life is senseless.

OOR:What's certainty to Frank Black?

FB:I had it rough last 2 months, because I hadn't a place to come back to. I'm very bussy to find a new home. Having a home is elementary for me. I'm going to another state and another city. Close to my new relationship

OOR: So you have a new lover?

FB: Yeah, I never thought it would represent itself so fast. But it happened. And I'm very happy about that. That doesn't mean the pain of the divorce is gone. My wife and I were not in a fight (quarrel?) and still love eatchother very much. But it just didn't work. I wanted to have childeren and she didn't. A difference that you cannot solve. It's very hard to break with somebody when you don't want to leave her at all. That's the worst thing. But it also caused good things.

OOR: It least a good new record and lot's of money for the therapist..........

FB: Yes, that man has another good client. That reminds me, I have to call him this evening. Well, I would drink less then, because then I'll have to go to my hotel after the radiosessoins. A therapist isn't only good for you mental health. I can recommend it to everyone

So that was it
1.098 words to be exact
man and I need to study so hard
so don't be mad
I'm not gonna include the shit review of SMYT
the same magazine wrote.

Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  06:41:44  Show Profile
Not mad at all Yop, thanks very much for taking the time to post the article - very interesting indeed.

Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  06:57:29  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Percenter

Not mad at all Yop, thanks very much for taking the time to post the article - very interesting indeed.

Yes, thanks Yop. We really appreciate it for sure. It was a very good article.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5976 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  10:27:53  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
yeah, that surprised me
OOR magazine (ear magazine)
have had shitty reviews of the last albums
and continue to do that with SMYT (they say My favourite Kiss is the worst track of FB ever, they are mad, mad I tell you)

but the article is very good.
No stupid Pixies questions
just some info about the person FB

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000