-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Show Me Your Tears

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pot Posted - 04/29/2010 : 01:59:16
This album has been missing from my collection, but I just listening to it a few times streaming on the FB.net site (where you can listen to all his albums now) and it's really good! Now wonder this album wasn't for sale for £4.74 on iTunes, it is definately one of the better Catholics records, probably my favourite. They really got the prodution sound right on this one, I even like the twangy country and western style guitars. Nice to hear a bit of hammond organ as well, but a bit more would be better still.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
darwin Posted - 09/19/2012 : 16:49:58
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

admit it, darwin - FB is a Roxy Music fan and so should you.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

No one is perfect.
pot Posted - 09/19/2012 : 01:49:44
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

Cut the crap. Deal or no deal?

Hang on. Let me ask the spirits, I need some guidance on this.

(LOL @ trob wont get the joke again I bet)
trobrianders Posted - 09/19/2012 : 01:46:03
Cut the crap. Deal or no deal?

pot Posted - 09/19/2012 : 01:44:01
Check the link and learn what 'sarcasm' means. there's a new word for you today
trobrianders Posted - 09/19/2012 : 01:40:12
quote:
Originally posted by pot

This is my thread trobriander, I would like it very much if you created your own thread for discussing Show Me Your Tears

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Deal. I'll stay out of this one if you'll stay out of the god thread.

fbc Posted - 09/19/2012 : 01:20:43
Haha I knew that was coming :)
pot Posted - 09/19/2012 : 01:12:46
This is my thread trobriander, I would like it very much if you created your own thread for discussing Show Me Your Tears

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
trobrianders Posted - 09/19/2012 : 00:56:51
Ha, nice. Thank you Dr fbc. I concur with your diagnosis.

fbc Posted - 09/19/2012 : 00:54:13
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by coastline

I also like the song "Show Me Your Tears." Anyone know why it's not on the album of the same name?

I don't know but I can think of another album named that way. PJ Harvey's album Dry did not feature the song Dry. That song appeared on her next album. I wonder if BLT can think of another example.

Actually I think I remember FB being asked that question in some interview but I can't recall what he said.

I don't recall how the song goes but having just read the lyrics it's quite a personal song even by SMYT standards. I'd say maybe it was left off because it was too real, too honest, too frank, but then it gets released on iTunes so that shoots that theory down.

Maybe it wasn't good enough or the shrink said show me 13 salty tears not 14.

Is 13 a good number for a snake?
vilainde Posted - 09/18/2012 : 23:40:27
admit it, darwin - FB is a Roxy Music fan and so should you.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
vilainde Posted - 09/18/2012 : 22:51:26
quote:
PJ Harvey's album Dry did not feature the song Dry. That song appeared on her next album. I wonder if BLT can think of another example.

Led Zep - Houses of the Holy

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
trobrianders Posted - 09/18/2012 : 22:38:51
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

I also like the song "Show Me Your Tears." Anyone know why it's not on the album of the same name?

I don't know but I can think of another album named that way. PJ Harvey's album Dry did not feature the song Dry. That song appeared on her next album. I wonder if BLT can think of another example.

Actually I think I remember FB being asked that question in some interview but I can't recall what he said.

darwin Posted - 09/18/2012 : 17:46:44
quote:

2 things I love about The Snake:
- FB is one of the few artists who can pull off a song that has a sax solo. This song sounds soooo much like early Roxy Music, it's amazing.

How dare you sir!!!
coastline Posted - 09/18/2012 : 09:24:06
teenager94 Posted - 09/18/2012 : 06:22:28
That was like me with Hemaphroditos. Until I heard the explosive live version I never really appreciated it.
quote:

- FB is one of the few artists who can pull off a song that has a sax solo. This song sounds soooo much like early Roxy Music, it's amazing.
- and the song totally rocked live. That's how I started to love it, after hearing it live in 2003.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

teenager94 Posted - 09/18/2012 : 06:16:12
The Lemon tree Black Francis is referring to in Aberdeen is a really small Indie venue. All great Scottish indie bands played their on their way to fame and fortune, Marychain etc. Never realised Pixies were up there in 89, but it fits in with those times.....
vilainde Posted - 09/18/2012 : 06:04:09
- and the song totally rocked live. That's how I started to love it, after hearing it live in 2003.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
The Maharal Posted - 09/18/2012 : 05:50:29
Funny you should say that about The Snake, I've always considered it one of the worst songs off the album. Has some nice elements like the sax solo but it doesn't sound all that (for want of a better word) cohesive to my ears. It's all down to differing tastes and that though, I know.

quote:
"I have Scots ancestors from Aberdeen so this will be a real homecoming for me," explains Black.

"My family were murderers and robbers who roamed Scotland hundreds of years ago.

This is pretty cool. Reminded me of this chap:
http://aghyaran.freeservers.com/page6.html (Proinsias Dubh = Black Francis in Irish)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Francis_Corrigan
teenager94 Posted - 09/18/2012 : 04:32:45
That's an amazing interview, never realised he had Aberdonian ancestry!! I would have an interest as it's my part of the world. Also, you would never know from performances that he preferred bigger venues. Those shows touring DITS and SMYT inlcuded smaller venues in London, but still amazing gigs.
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

The man poured his heart out on this one. Beautiful.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3299&SearchTerms=,interview

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2796&SearchTerms=,interview

If Coastline and/or Horrible Day are in the setlist, no matter what else is played, I go home a very happy man.

teenager94 Posted - 09/18/2012 : 04:20:44
That's all very true because that particular collection didn't have the 'best of' smyt on it. Personal favourites are 'When will happiness find me again?' and 'The snake'. I actually lost my copy of smyt, but wasn't to pushed to re - discover due to what was on the 93 - 03. However, when I did buy it again I remembered that it had some really good songs.
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

It was listening to this album that made me conclude that best-ofs are a terrible idea. Thanks to 93-03 and its bonus disc I had already heard the likes of Manitoba, Massif Centrale, Horrible Day and Nadine loads of times so that dissipated the pleasure of listening to SMYT somewhat, reducing the "omfg" impact it could have had on me.

Still a grand ol' album regardless: Everything Is New, Jaina Blues, Coastline and WWHFMA are all very nice indeed.

The Maharal Posted - 09/15/2012 : 03:47:11
It was listening to this album that made me conclude that best-ofs are a terrible idea. Thanks to 93-03 and its bonus disc I had already heard the likes of Manitoba, Massif Centrale, Horrible Day and Nadine loads of times so that dissipated the pleasure of listening to SMYT somewhat, reducing the "omfg" impact it could have had on me.

Still a grand ol' album regardless: Everything Is New, Jaina Blues, Coastline and WWHFMA are all very nice indeed.

Jose Jones Posted - 09/15/2012 : 03:25:45
what with hurricane nadine rearing its head, i've been meaning to give it a spin.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
vilainde Posted - 09/15/2012 : 02:39:19
Just dusted off this record... Holy shit it's even better than what I remembered. On par with Exile On Main Street IMO - with better guitar parts.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Jose Jones Posted - 05/09/2010 : 12:28:18
i loved the overt country on SMYT, so i was excited that he was going to follow it up with a "nashville record." i ended up being disappointed that HC wasn't exactly country.

coastline Posted - 05/08/2010 : 11:38:27
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

It's a really great album. I think it sort of foreshadowed the Nashville records

Absolutely, Stu. Coastline and Manitoba are perfect lead-ins for Honeycomb.
Jose Jones Posted - 05/02/2010 : 04:35:31
one of my all time favorites. classy production and songs.

"my favorite kiss"!

Ziggy Posted - 05/01/2010 : 23:57:32
Really good to read those interviews.

'SMYT' is a funny one. I don't particularly love any of the songs on their own, but as a whole, it's one of the most satisfying and enjoyable albums to listen to.
danjersey Posted - 04/30/2010 : 16:49:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYVpY7oHEXY

edit- sorry, I think you wanted this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yADKuCjiSb0&feature=related

enki enki... in your drinky
joe FITZ of molly BANG Posted - 04/30/2010 : 12:40:06
I think some of the songs on there are even more country than any of the stuff on the nashville sessions. manitoba is great but one of my least faves. imho the best recording from those sessions is the bside cover down in the hole by r.s. sooooo good.

coastline and the snake are also my faves, and sometimes massif centrale.

fbc Posted - 04/30/2010 : 08:52:16
The man poured his heart out on this one. Beautiful.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3299&SearchTerms=,interview

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2796&SearchTerms=,interview

If Coastline and/or Horrible Day are in the setlist, no matter what else is played, I go home a very happy man.
johnnyribcage Posted - 04/30/2010 : 08:42:16
quote:

I haven't listened to it in a while, but yeah, it's one of my fave Catholics records. Hard to pick a favorite actually, FB&TC, DiTS, BLD and SMYT are my Catholics holy trinity (of 4).

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."

Holy Quadity?

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
vilainde Posted - 04/30/2010 : 02:47:06
I haven't listened to it in a while, but yeah, it's one of my fave Catholics records. Hard to pick a favorite actually, FB&TC, DiTS, BLD and SMYT are my Catholics holy trinity (of 4).

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
pixiestu Posted - 04/30/2010 : 02:36:35
It's a really great album. I think it sort of foreshadowed the Nashville records with the more personal writing, but with the classic Catholics country sound.

It's tough for me to pick just one favourite track.

"The arc of triumph"
johnnyribcage Posted - 04/29/2010 : 13:50:08
Always been a HUGE fan of Tears. Best Catholics since Dog.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
hammerhands Posted - 04/29/2010 : 09:41:00
Coincidentally, my current favourite from the album is
Massif Centrale.

I've been trying to get an Irish band to cover When Will
Happiness Find Me Again.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000