Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Not worth a topic, but at least postable...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  03:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, so the old 'Really not worth a topic' thread is a total mess, with lots of stuff that's really not worth posting AT ALL. So, I thought I'd start a new thread for little articles and things, but not cram it with every little thing that mentions Pixies! So anyway, came across this and hopefully this is an example of something possibly worth posting:

NYTimes.com - Living With Music: A Playlist by Joanna Smith Rakoff.

1) Is She Weird, Pixies. Nowadays, when people talk about the 1990s, the first band they mention is Nirvana, but for me — and most of my college-radio-station-DJ, record-store-regular friends — that era was all about the Pixies, with their irresistible, genre-busting sound: the slow, precise bass, the shifting tempo, the eerie hiss and scream of Black Francis. In 1990, when “Bossanova” came out, I listened to it endlessly — even though it wasn’t on the level of “Doolittle” or “Come on Pilgrim” — thrilled by this brief, odd song, a freaky gloss on Macbeth: “Is she weird? / Is she white? / Is she promised to the night? / And her head has no room.” I was 18 then, and felt very weird and very white.

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  12:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is She Weird is one of my favorite Pixies tunes. While many of their songs have that delicious build to an exploding chorus, this is, in my opinion, one of the best. I like how the Catholics extended the opening of Gouge Away, I think this is another song that would benefit from that in concert.

I think they even confused this with Gouge at the Newport festival. Maybe it was a bootleg from the 04 tour.

Great song.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  09:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Concert Poster - The Pixies Concert Poster.

Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  10:20:23  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
True or not true? And if so, whose idea was it?

"The first album to include a transparent media tray was the
Pixies's Surfer Rosa album,[citation needed] released in 1988.
The format did not became common until around 1995-1996."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc_packaging

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/27/2009 11:22:05
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3894 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  10:54:00  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When is that poster from?

edit. Sorry, I just clicked the link.

\.\'.\     
           \'\'.\    
          __\.\:/_//  
         {{{{{(__(") 

Edited by - pot on 09/27/2009 11:24:49
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  11:05:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Popmatters - Sound Affects - Verse-Chorus-Verse: An Interview with Meshell Ndegeocello.

Ndegeocello was definitely my adopted spiritual patron saint when I was working on my version of Pixies’ “I Bleed” (which featured Oakland’s mighty funk-soul queen, FEMI) for American Laundromat Records’ Pixies tribute album, Dig for Fire. That record featured tracks by the Rosebuds, They Might Be Giants, and other indie-rock stalwarts. Knowing that I would be the only non-indie-rocker on the project, and hearing stories about the ferocity of Pixies fans regarding covers of the group’s material, was a little daunting at first, but I took inspiration in the implicit attitude of Ndegeocello’s Parton cover—- the message I took from it was to wear my stylistic difference loud and proud.

The Awl - Public Apology: Dear Guy In The Spiked Leather Jacket.

MUZA.TV Blog - 5 Great American Bands That Were First Discovered In The UK.

The Boston Globe - Jae Young Cosmo Lee's iPod shuffle.

6. Havalina, the Pixies. The Pixies are one of my favorites of all time. I’ve been listening to them since I was in junior high. I kind of wish they actually produced more than just got back together for the old stuff.

The Red and Black - 40 Watt's Halloween party showcases tribute groups.

Edited by - Carl on 10/28/2009 17:34:05
Go to Top of Page

pieteikumi
- FB Fan -

Latvia
14 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  11:09:07  Show Profile  Visit pieteikumi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Orson Welles and Charles - distant relatives?
http://klab.lv/community/dubultnieki/67258.html
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  07:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
StaticBlog - Dueling Apps: Pandora vs. Last.fm, Round Six: Pixies.

DCist Interview: Mew.

Independent.ie - Plenti to enjoy in frontman's solo run.

No Interpol songs are aired, but Banks finds room for two covers -- the Pixies' 'Into the White' and Neil Young's 'Horse with No Name' which cap off an enjoyable, if wholly unremarkable hour-long set.

PC Pro - Billy Bragg: "file-sharing isn't piracy, it's promotion.

“People want a specific Pixies track that’s not on an album, you can’t even buy it – and it’s mad, this is mad to me – the only way to get it, is to download the entire Pixies back catalogue on Bit Torrent, get the track you want and throw the rest away. That’s the problem with streaming, it’s still an attempt to control distribution, and that model is dead,” Bragg concluded.

Seattle Weekly - I've Been Listening to Some Old Time Rock 'n' Roll: Pixies, Queen, and Richard Hell.

USATODAY.com - Pop Candy's Top 100 People of 2009! Part two: 60-79.

75. The Pixies. Most folks toast a milestone with a bottle of bubbly. To fans' delight, the Pixies celebrated Doolittle's 20th anniversary with a tour, TVappearances and a mega-box set. Thanks to them, I can pretend every day is 1989.

The Hollywood Reporter - Risky Business - Bono on the Globes, the Pixies, Colin Farrell and Spike Jonze.

National Post - Out with the Aughts: Reunion tours show old dogs can learn new licks.

BostonHerald.com - Aught-o tunes.

Dec. 1, 2004: The Pixies and Mission of Burma play Tsongas Arena.

Rock loves a reunion, and ’80s underground rock fans got two doozies. The
Pixies put on their first local show since opening for U2 in 1992. Burma bassist
Clint Conley quipped from the Tsongas stage, “The Pixies wanted us here so we
could make them look young.” But sonically the also recently reformed Boston
trio sounded as young as ever.

BlackBook - 7 Stupid Ways that Great Bands Broke Up.

slicing up eyeballs - The Cure, Pixies, U2, Morrissey, Depeche Mode top list of most-viewed stories of 2009.

Discord: The Pixies Retrospective #1: COME ON PILGRIM.

Discord: The Pixies Retrospective #2: SURFA ROSA.

PopMatters - Our Band Could Be Your Life. Again. Band Reunions Redefined in the 2000s.

The Examiner - Pixies, Beck pay tribute to late punk rocker Jay Reatard.

411mania.com: Music: 411 Music Ten Deep 2.19.10: Top Ten Overshadowed Albums.

ReviewJournal.com - R-JENERATION: No Age band members talk about all-age shows, what's next.

...We talked a bit about their then tour with The Pixies and what they had been working on. I stood with drummer Dean Spunt and guitarist Randy Randall in front of a white bail bonds building where we were interrupted by panhandlers and the sound-check noise from the Beauty Bar.

R-Jeneration: How do you feel about opening for The Pixies?

Randy Randall: Wow. When we got invited to do it, it kind of blew my mind. Pixies were a band that I first heard of I think in eighth grade and I saw this band do a cover of "Gigantic." It was like a local high-school band at a talent show and I thought they wrote the song, and they were like, "Oh, it's from this band called the Pixies," and then I was like "Oh, OK." Then I looked it all up and was just blown away by the band, so the fact that we are playing with them is so surreal.

Dean Spunt: Pixies were one of my top favorite bands in high school. I think I was also in eighth. They are just one of the best bands. It's just really crazy.

TheaterMania.com - Young@Heart Chorus and No Theater's End of the Road to Play St. Ann's Warehouse in April.

The chorus, whose members range in age from 73-90, will sing songs by the Buzzcocks, the Pixies, Bruce Springsteen, and others. The piece is described as "a hauntingly beautiful show about age, memory and the power of music."

Edited by - Carl on 03/15/2010 10:34:12
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  03:10:52  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought America wrote 'A Horse With No Name'. Heh.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  04:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
guardian.co.uk - Label of love: 4AD.

The Independent - Sue Montgomery's Day Three Verdict: Bigger value lies in form of former champion Katchit.

Planet Of Sound (Ryanair Chase) 1991 single from pioneering US alternative rock band The Pixies. Featured on the album Trompe le Monde and, like many Pixies songs, was about space travel.

Independent.ie - 4AD: still vital after all these years.

Sign 'O the Times: 52 Weeks, 52 Moments in Music: WEEK NINE.

Back to the ’90s: Pixies and ‘Bossanova’.

The New Yorker - Gotta Go to Mose.

Allison became a favorite of British blues-rockers (the Who covered his “Young Man Blues,” and Van Morrison released an entire tribute album), and his creative DNA can be detected in performers as diverse as Tom Waits, Randy Newman, Pulp, and the Pixies (who recorded a tribute song, “Allison”).

Edited by - Carl on 03/30/2010 06:48:32
Go to Top of Page

SPEEDYMARIEGONZALES
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  04:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, i supposed this may fall under the category of not woth a new topic,
but i thought it was kind of interesting
i don't know much about her but she does have on a pixies shirt and she listed frank as her hero
http://altreport.hipsterrunoff.com/2010/03/keha-goes-2-the-beach-in-a-baggy-pixies-t-shirt.html

Manuel wants to keep his pet rat.
Manuel: Mrs. Fawlty, please understand. If he go, I go!
Basil Fawlty: Well, goodbye!
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  07:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stuff.co.uk - Roadtrip CD selection.

We used to always play Turin Breaks' first album on car trips; even playing it on a specific leg of the journey. Same with one of the Pixies compilations (but I think after this that'll be on a break for a wee while).

Experience Project - What is the chord most favored by Jimmy and Pixies lead guitarist Joey Santiago?

TIME - Top 10 Band Break-Ups - The Pixies.

RJ Battles: Doolittle.

The Spinnaker - Top Five Songs Worthy of Taking Up Residency in Your Soul.

“Dig for Fire” by Pixies

I first investigated Pixies circa age 15 because some boy I was crushing on happened to harbor a serious passion for the Massachusetts-based bunch. However, after I first devoured “Velouria,” I ravenously consumed their entire discography. However, the dreamy sense of ambiguity and the clean, cohesive meshing of Frank Black and Kim Deal’s (shit, she is cool) voices of this number from “Bossanova” remained at the tippy-top of my prized Pixies pieces. The jangly bits and boardwalk guitar transitions easing along each minute step of the song doesn’t hurt, either.

Gibson.com - 5 Greatest Coachella Performances.

Pixies, “Where Is My Mind?” (2004)

Convincing the warring factions of the Pixies to put aside their long-festering differences and get back together to play a few songs in the desert scored the Coachella organizers their first official sellout. The expensive peace treaty was well worth it. Not only has the festival become the spot to catch bands you never thought would reunite but it gave 50,000 people a chance to once again hear Frank Black and Kim Deal duet on this modern rock staple.

YouTube - Pixies live at Coachella 2004: In Heaven / Where Is My Mind?

Flickr - Pixies in Gaou 2006.

WTTS FM - Indy Underground: Record Store Day Edition.

The National & The Pixies

Matt Berninger, lead vocalist for The National, was first exposed to The Pixies when his older sister gave him a tape of their albums Surfer Rosa and Come on Pilgrim. Berninger said in an interview with Spin, “Before The Pixies, I didn’t have a good sense of identity and was totally insecure. The music was so weird and reckless and fearless, it made me feel that I could be cool.” The National has created their own fearless brand of rock that pays homage to The Pixies through consistent, almost hypnotic, rhythms, intense vocal delivery, and the use of distorted guitar tones that wash over their tracks.

TVOVermind - Recap – FlashForward 1.18 "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road".

Olivia is at home, preparing to leave for the hospital. Gabriel is waiting for her in her kitchen, and scares her with ramblings about The Pixies. He tells Olivia that he was there, with her at the Pixies concert she attended during law school, and at Scott's wedding.

Phoenix New Times - Top 10 Rock Documentaries: Anvil, Nirvana, Daniel Johnston, Wilco, and More (With Video!).

Album-A-Week: A rough ride with the Pixies.

Independent Minds - The outsiders: Writers recall their formative encounters with the great outdoors.

Alex James: My first festival

There were only two festivals back then. Reading and Glastonbury. I can't think of any others that people talked about. Apart from Reading and Glastonbury, big gigs were all referred to as stadium rock and stadium rock was not where the pretty girls were.

The first festival I went to was Reading. It must have been 1989 or 1990. It wasn't planned or looked forward to. I just happened to be bowling around southern England in a Camper van with a gang of friends that particular August bank-holiday weekend. I knew Reading was on because Pixies were headlining and they were my favourite band. Graham Coxon had Pixies lyrics in big writing stuck all around his room at college. We used to recite the ad libs from between the album tracks to each other "There were rumours. He was into field hockey players. He was just so ... quiet about it." Even thinking about those lines now makes me laugh. "I said you fuckin' die!"

My girlfriend and I were living in utter squalor but Blur had just signed to Food Records and Jesus Jones, our new labelmates, were on the main stage, playing as we bought our tickets. I had Jesus Jones records. That might not sound surprising but I didn't have very many records. Nobody had many records. Even Graham, who I thought had loads, only had about 20 more than me.

It made my heart beat faster to hear Jesus Jones music in the distance: this sound that I was quite familiar with, familiar in the way one might become accustomed to a pretty face in a film or a photograph, but now here it actually was, alive and real, sounding so big and loud and so far away. Like a thunderstorm at sea, it was slightly giddying and scary, something projected way beyond human scale.

I wanted to go backstage. I went to the side of the stage and said, "I need to get backstage. I just want to say 'Hello' to Jesus Jones. You see I met them a few weeks ago. I'm sure they'd like to see me. You see we're on the same label..." But it was no use. The expressionless face had heard it all before.

Tents went up no problem. I've always been happy camping. Our tent boasted more luxuries than our flat. At least it didn't have slugs living in it. Then I can't remember much until Pixies came on. I just have vague recollections of queuing for food, terrible sanitary conditions and thinking it was all brilliant.

I think it probably was brilliant, too. I've always loved playing at Reading ever since then. Unlike Glastonbury, people wait to see the line-up before they buy their tickets. It's better organised than Glastonbury and a hell of a lot easier to get to. I remember crying as New Order headlined in 1998 and I still stick my head in occasionally these days. I know I'll see familiar faces.

Long before anyone that I knew owned a CD player, music held a different place in the nation's heart. In 1990, music was the focus of everything, a prism for all culture. Smash Hits was the biggest-selling magazine. Saturday morning television was all about music. Music was what young people talked to each other about. Now we have celebrities. Now we have art galleries. We have nice food. In 1990, there was only Pixies.

As it got dark, people started to make bonfires ? from anything, but mainly plastic beer glasses. That didn't make it any warmer but it did make it smell more interesting, unforgettably so. Pixies smashed it. They were a cracking live band. I was at the front for "Levitate Me" and I went back to the tent happy.

Then I discovered that someone had jumped on the tent and destroyed it. I couldn't believe how cold it was at two o'clock in the morning. I recommend the Ramada Hotel.

Wentworth Courier - Mose Allison The Way Of The World CD review.

WE could do with a few more Mose Allisons in this world. Making a return to the recording studios after a 12-year absence, his new album The Way Of The World is full of wisdom, wry wit and astute observation from a man who in his 82 years has seen war, produced a huge body of work and influenced everyone from Jimi Hendrix and The Rolling Stones to the Pixies and J.J. Cale.

Seattle Weekly - This Summer, School of Rock Takes on The Pixies, Pink Floyd, Radiohead (!), & More.

Riverfront Times - Last Collector Standing: Webster University's Andrew Allen Smith on Combining Record Collections with His Girlfriend, Movie Soundtracks and the Pixies.

The Guardian - LCD Soundsystem: Three hit albums and they're out.

Pixies
Pixies' first three albums, Come On Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa and Doolittle, encapsulate a journey – from splenetic fury, to splenetic fury modulated by budding songwriting ability – common to the first three albums of acts as diverse as Billy Bragg and the Velvet Underground. Said trio of albums would have comprised a perfect career arc for Pixies, had they not then ballsed it up with Bossanova and the sub-metal stylings of Trompe Le Monde.

Giant Bomb - Discography Odyssey: Pixies Part One, Come on Pilgrim/Purple Tape.

waller not weller - REVIEW: Pixies – Doolittle (4AD).

Edited by - Carl on 05/31/2010 07:01:57
Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2010 :  15:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guardian Bossanova ballsing comment => journalism & opinion fail.

"I've got my own gas tanks."
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  11:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BostonHerald.com - Mose Allison invites jazz fans into his ‘World’.

The singer/songwriter/wicked-good jazz pianist’s “Young Man Blues” was a live staple of The Who. The Clash pulled off a surprisingly swinging version of his “Look Here” on “Sandinista!” Frank Black dedicated the Pixies’ “Allison” to him. And Van Morrison did a whole album of his material.

Denver Westwood - La Roux set the wayback machine to 1986 at the Ogden.

Boyhollow opened this show, and his DJ set was a nice weaving together of modern, house music and tastefully chosen pop and rock songs to match the pace being set at that given moment. Kind of a more original take on Big Beat, the set got some people dancing throughout the Ogden, and at the end, boyhollow did what sounded like a live remix of "Where is My Mind?" by Pixies, altering the speed of the background beat while maintaining the pace of the original song.

Paste Magazine - 10 Great (or Strange) Pixies Covers.

Edited by - Carl on 06/15/2010 05:27:15
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3894 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  11:55:09  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I totally dig what she is saying.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  07:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NYTimes.com - Living With Music: A Playlist by Janelle Brown.

4) Velouria, Pixies. The Pixies remain one of the greatest rock bands of all time (in my humble opinion, and I’m sure Jeremy would agree); “Bossanova” is their best album; “Velouria” the best song from it. What does the title mean? No idea. But it’s catchy, guitar-driven, has a gut-busting chorus and boasts heavy use of the theremin. What else does a rock song need?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3894 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  11:20:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I named my bike after the song velouria.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  09:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pitchfork: "Weird Al" Yankovic Talks Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Pixies.

Pitchfork: You also recently sang the Pixies song "I Bleed" with members of the Pixies live. How did that come about?

WAY: That was definitely one of the high points of my life. Violet, Frank's wife, asked if I wanted to be part of his show and if I wanted to do a parody of a Pixies song. And I was like, "Hmm. I think it'd be hipper for me to do just a straight cover of a Pixies song." Then she said, "Well, would you like to sing it with the Pixies?" I'm like, "Yes!" [laughs] That was such a thrill.

Pitchfork: Would you ever do a Pixies parody?

WAY: I would probably do it if I was able to match it with a subject matter that was more timely. But, otherwise, I generally don't do older songs.

On The Box - loudQUIETloud Review: Rock ‘n’ Stroll.

Edited by - Carl on 07/02/2010 11:42:01
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  12:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Pitchfork: "Weird Al" Yankovic Talks Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Pixies.

Pitchfork: You also recently sang the Pixies song "I Bleed" with members of the Pixies live. How did that come about?

WAY: That was definitely one of the high points of my life. Violet, Frank's wife, asked if I wanted to be part of his show and if I wanted to do a parody of a Pixies song. And I was like, "Hmm. I think it'd be hipper for me to do just a straight cover of a Pixies song." Then she said, "Well, would you like to sing it with the Pixies?" I'm like, "Yes!" [laughs] That was such a thrill.

Pitchfork: Would you ever do a Pixies parody?

WAY: I would probably do it if I was able to match it with a subject matter that was more timely. But, otherwise, I generally don't do older songs.

On The Box - loudQUIETloud Review: Rock ‘n’ Stroll.

Cheers Carl. Another excuse to post my version of an I Bleed parody. Got no response last time. I wonder why?

I peed

I cup my hands
Won't pee my pants
Behind the car
Roadside relief
I let out "Ahhhhh"
A sigh I heave

I peed

Privy my dear
Tis far or near?
That's how it goes
My shoes I'll save
As urine flows
My bladder sates

I peed
I peed

There's a john
In the restaurant
In the mall
With real soap in it
In the wall
A urinal
Or a stall
To pee finally

Edited by - trobrianders on 12/22/2010 22:01:31
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  13:20:21  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mornin

Edited by - fbc on 07/02/2010 23:24:01
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  01:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh, mornin'.

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  00:02:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Herald Scotland - Chopping the pop, and back at the top.

Although mainstream recognition may not have been claimed, Sons and Daughters been able to count on the backing and support of some impressive names, with an invitation to open for the Pixies at their SECC show last year. And it seems the band’s heroes didn’t disappoint.

“It was amazing – absolutely brilliant. And it was also one of our best-ever shows that night” Gow enthuses. “The Pixies are one of our favourite bands – surely one of anyone’s favourite bands – and Black Francis was watching us from the side of the stage. He waited for us, then told us how much he’d enjoyed it. That was totally amazing. Their set was great – and they were really nice people, too.”

The Columbia Daily Tribune - The Creation of a Legend.

Several shows during The Blue Note’s preteen days had a bit more historical impact; for example, after a 1988 Blue Note gig, the contentious climate around indie legends Hüsker Dü reached its boiling point, and the group disbanded. Other contributions to history came in subtle yet significant ways known only perhaps to those involved. Murphy tells of an early Soul Asylum show in which a budding band called the Pixies provided support. Years later, when roles were reversed and the Pixies were headlining a common bill, their manager chided Murphy and his bandmates for costing him a great deal of money. Dumbfounded, Murphy asked how and learned his band’s set had convinced the Pixies to up their wattage.

“Apparently, that was the show where they decided they needed big stacks of amps after we played four times as loud on stage as they did and made a much bigger roar, which is what they were trying to do at the same time as well,” he said.

The Columbia Daily Tribune - For owner King, it’s hard to forget Note’s early days.

...And that they did, bringing to town the above acts, R.E.M., the Pixies, Black Flag, etc., along with the likes of Sam & Dave, Ricky Skaggs and Koko Taylor, making for an eclectic concert calendar that King still uses as his booking template...

...It’s evidenced by the lineup for the anniversary, which includes Snoop Dogg and Ice Cube and down the road The Flaming Lips — the Pixies almost happened, too — but also a little local flavor with The Record Collector and Crusty Old Columbia Punks Reunion Dance Party.

The Irish Times - Thirty years on, 4AD still the label to beat for indie excellence.

It is by no means a stretch to put 4AD up there with Columbia and Atlantic as labels that had not just a golden era but also managed to reshape the musical landscape. The Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil, The Pixies and now Bon Iver and The National – this must represent the highest strike rate of any label anywhere.

The Guardian - Radio review: The Story of Arcade Fire.

I liked the chat between husband and wife Win and Régine (pictured). When they met, she was trying to bring The Pixies' style to medieval music, he explained: "I said, why don't you bring medieval music to The Pixies – I think it would be easier." He knew she was right for the band the first time she played with them: "She was wearing flashing reindeer antennae".

The Smoking Gun - Pixies BACKSTAGE RIDER.

stencilrevolution - Frank Black/Pixies t shirts.

Edited by - Carl on 08/09/2010 16:52:06
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  11:44:22  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
definitely postable
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2010 :  15:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Soren! How are ya? Yep, I want me one of them shirts:

Here's another nice one:

Bundle Valley: The Pixies.

Spinner - 20 Years In, Pixies' 'Bossanova' Still Sounds Like the New Thing.

Edited by - Carl on 08/13/2010 15:35:16
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  05:59:05  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Carl! Shit yeah. I never noticed the tee. Pretty cool ;) i'm well, t'anks.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  08:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear it!

I guess this is postable... even if they do call Velouria 'Valouria'! ;)

AOL Music Blog - Top 10 Pixies Songs.

Edited by - Carl on 08/14/2010 08:08:27
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  00:41:42  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Imagine never hearing these songs before, putting them on disc and releasing them today. Best album of the decade.

And the top song is...
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  06:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fast Film: RECKLESS PHOTOGRAPHY! THE PIXIES, LITTLE CAESAR, and SWIMMING FAMILY MEMBERS.

The second photo is an illustration born of frustration. The Pixies, a band
obviously to my liking, had lit their Hollywood Palace show as if solely for military
night vision goggles. There was little if any green light at all, and my only chance
to capture some to fulfill the assignment was to repeat the trick of crawling on the
8" space in front of the P.A. system to get closer to obtain the shot. In this case
I'm angry it cost me some hearing, as it's not that great a photo. But I'd had
tinnitus diagnosed some 20 years before that, so what the hey cumulatively.

We Are Pop Slags - Mutya Beuna covers The Pixies and more on 'Sound of Camden' album.

Edited by - Carl on 08/24/2010 11:39:00
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  11:44:55  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey cool photograph. The Mutya piece made me wanna barf.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  03:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WFNX.com - The Absolute Top 101 WFNX Artists of All Time #6 - Pixies.

KansasCity.com - Pop Music | The '90s indie spirit lives on.

guardian.co.uk - 4AD, the record label that gave birth to indie cool, celebrates 30th anniversary.

Prefix Magazine - Celebrate 4AD's 30th Birthday With 10 Tracks From The Label's History.

Etsy - The Pixies Album Cufflinks by Cufflinks Rock - Gift Wrap Included.

Edited by - Carl on 08/31/2010 10:42:43
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  07:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cufflinks? 'nuff links!

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  09:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Groan! ;)

Er... here's another link:

Surviving the Golden Age - New: Refracture remixes the Pixies’ “Where Is My Mind?”

Spinner - The Bad Plus Take a Break From Jazzed-Out Indie Covers With 'Never Stop'.

The Province - Commodore makes this city better.

The Daily Collegian - UMass ranks among rockin’ colleges.

The Denver Post - Smashing Pumpkins take a risk.

...As we've witnessed Reunion Mania in the past five years — featuring an all-star cast of broken-up bands that include the Police, the Stooges, Genesis, Soundgarden, Pixies, Van Halen, Pavement, Crowded House and so many others — it's clear that most reunited bands view new music as a liability...

...The once-popular band The Jesus and Mary Chain released one new song, on the "Heroes" soundtrack of all places, around its reunion tour. And the Pixies also released one song, "Bam Thwok," via iTunes for its first (of many) together-again tours.

"(These shows are) not about challenging our audience," Pixies frontman Frank Black told The Post in late-2004. "We're trying to be entertaining. We're not trying to teach our audience something. That's too presumptuous.

MTV Newsroom - Weezer's Memories Tour: What Will Be The Other Songs On The Set List?

"Velouria"
There would probably be no Weezer (or no alternative rock at all, really) without the Pixies, and the band's cover of this Bossanova classic was one of the only bright moments on the dire Pixies tribute album Where Is My Mind? A Tribute to the Pixies.

411mania.com: Music - The 411 Music Top Five 09.28.10: Top 5 Greatest Artist of the 1980s.

Edited by - Carl on 10/04/2010 07:16:20
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  10:43:01  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pixies get "Discographied":

The Pixies: 1-4 rumblerumble>string of random nouns>CHORUS!CHORUS!>unsavory sexual imagery>rumblerumble>(not enough Kim)>WAAUGHHH!WAAUGHHH!
https://twitter.com/Discographies

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  04:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The College Voice - Professor Profile: Courtney Baker.

Courtney Baker, Associate Professor of English, is an instructor known for both her authoritative knowledge on race criticism and her ability to drop Pixies lyrics into a lecture without breaking stride in a discussion of Derrida. Quiet and dry, she’s an enigmatic presence in the department.

Spinner - OK Go's Pixies Cover and More Unreleased Tracks -- Song Premieres.

GDN: Three New Mix Packs for DJ Hero 2: Linkin, Beastie, Pixies, Fat Boys.

This is great:

YouTube - Pixies - Where Is My Mind? (8-Bit Remix) [ImpulseTracker Video].

Spinner - Conor Oberst Discusses 'Spooky' Sci-Fi Album and the Future of Bright Eyes.

Musically, what inspired this? Some of it seems influenced by the Pixies.
Oh, I love the Pixies. They have always been an inspiration. Frank Black is the coolest man on the planet. He's always had a sci-fi thing going on. [His third solo album] 'Cult of Ray' was supposedly all about Ray Bradbury.

David Rose's Gig Diaries.

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

127 THE PIXIES, The Wolfgang Press, Bristol Studio, Monday 8 May 1989

A 2 car convoy of 7 of us all met up in the Horse And Jockey for drinks before going in for this one. The dirgelike support band made us wish we'd stayed there! Ran into lots of Swindon people at this gig; we were well represented!

Got fairly near the front for The Pixies set; and what a set it turned out to be! The 3-pronged visual assault of the, erm, corpulent vocalist Black Francis, together with tiny bassist Kim and kinetic guitarist Joey, was matched by the gigantic seamless power of their sound; huge, raw, ragged and jagged, but memorable and melodic at the same time. Operating in similar territory to the magnificent Throwing Muses, it's no surprise that they're also from the Muses hometown of Boston! "Vamos", the encore, featuring Joey playing his guitar with a can of Miller Lite (!), was particularly memorable. Aggressive, sexy, sleazy, The Pixies were brilliant beyond words; yet another Boston band showing the rest how it's done!

LA Weekly - A Selected David Lynch Discography.

OST, Eraserhead (1976): Factories, concrete, noises, existential dread mixed with surreal humor. All the "Lynchian" tropes are already here on his first feature film soundtrack. Lynch-heads the Pixies made "In Heaven" gigantic.

Essential track: "In Heaven" (aka "Lady in the Radiator Song")

Sonic Fiction - Classics Critiqued – January 2011 – Pixies – ‘Doolittle’.

Suite101.com - Bible Rock: Ten Pop/Rock Songs with Biblical References

Pixies – Gouge Away

This track from the classic Doolittle album actually deals with the story of the giant Samson, whose strength resided in his flowing locks from the book of Judges 13:24-16:30. The title phrase refers to the gouging of Samson’s eyes which was carried out by the Philistines, who captured him after he was betrayed by his wife Delilah, referred to in the song as “Missy Aggravation”; they also chained him to a pillar and mocked him, till Samson called on the Lord to give him the strength to break the pillar and bring the whole place down on himself and his persecutors, and his wish was granted: “I break the walls, and kill us all.”

Pixies – Dead

Them pesky little Pixies again, this time with what appears to be an update of the classical Biblical love triangle: Bathsheba is married to Uriah, King David loves Bathsheba, King David sends Uriah off to battle, where he dies, and David marries Bathsheba (2 Samuel 12-13). However, the Lord is displeased, and causes their firstborn to die as punishment. The Pixies version opens with a reference to “You crazy babe, Bathsheba, I want you” and ends with a refrain of “Uriah hit the crapper, the crapper!” Weird, but in a good way.

The Daily Times - Tommy Bateman gets out from behind the Tomato Head counter for a night of brotherly music.

Thanks to Black Francis and Kim Deal, there’s a jazz band out there, somewhere, missing a talented trombone player.

Or perhaps it’s a Memphis soul act. Either way, Tommy Bateman’s absence is no doubt felt on some sort of cosmic, “what if” level, every time a bandleader looks at his lineup and thinks about how the addition of another piece of brass would punch things up a bit.

Instead, Bateman went down that path traveled by so many other aspiring fine artists who hear something visceral, primal and filled with roaring electric guitar that changes their lives on a primal level. And it all started with Francis’s Pixies and Deal’s The Breeders.

“Something clicked with ‘Last Splash’ (by The Breeders) and ‘Surfer Rosa’ (by the Pixies) in my appreciation of music that took it from an attempt at excellence and proficiency to people getting something out that they wanted to get out by whatever means were at their disposal,” Bateman said this week over lunch at Tomato Head in downtown Maryville, where he works as general manager. “I heard those records and thought, ‘I can do that on the guitar.’ And that’s how that happened.”

slicing up eyeballs - Video: The Cure, Pixies, Jesus and Mary Chain, World Party live on MTV’s ‘120 Minutes’.

antiMUSIC - Eastern Conference Champions Trading Song For Fan Photos.

Edited by - Carl on 04/11/2011 10:51:57
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  18:45:06  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My contribution to this thread, which really should be renamed "not worth a topic, and barely postable" ;)

today's feature article on Wikipedia - Doolittle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
Go to Top of Page

Florian
- FB Fan -

Germany
13 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  11:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never seen this before:
Pixies - Concert Hall, Toronto - Nov 30, 1991 1 of 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf50O1Avag8

The other parts are on youtube, too.

Regards Florian
Go to Top of Page