-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Not worth a topic, but at least postable...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Carl Posted - 09/09/2009 : 03:04:03
Okay, so the old 'Really not worth a topic' thread is a total mess, with lots of stuff that's really not worth posting AT ALL. So, I thought I'd start a new thread for little articles and things, but not cram it with every little thing that mentions Pixies! So anyway, came across this and hopefully this is an example of something possibly worth posting:

NYTimes.com - Living With Music: A Playlist by Joanna Smith Rakoff.

1) Is She Weird, Pixies. Nowadays, when people talk about the 1990s, the first band they mention is Nirvana, but for me — and most of my college-radio-station-DJ, record-store-regular friends — that era was all about the Pixies, with their irresistible, genre-busting sound: the slow, precise bass, the shifting tempo, the eerie hiss and scream of Black Francis. In 1990, when “Bossanova” came out, I listened to it endlessly — even though it wasn’t on the level of “Doolittle” or “Come on Pilgrim” — thrilled by this brief, odd song, a freaky gloss on Macbeth: “Is she weird? / Is she white? / Is she promised to the night? / And her head has no room.” I was 18 then, and felt very weird and very white.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tamefan Posted - 03/16/2024 : 02:21:15
at 2nd manchester show, Charles explains the origins of "Pixies vs The Pixies"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF-WEySqYY
Discoking Posted - 03/04/2024 : 22:56:50
:D lol

it's educational
rivum Posted - 03/04/2024 : 04:03:51
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Paz has left the band and Emma Richardson has taken over. Seems she left Band of Skulls a few months ago.

i'm not sure this belongs in the thread "Not worth a topic, but at least postable..."

:)
The Maharal Posted - 03/04/2024 : 03:30:47
Paz has left the band and Emma Richardson has taken over. Seems she left Band of Skulls a few months ago.
The Maharal Posted - 03/03/2024 : 02:57:52
https://twitter.com/MarkDurnin/status/1763662119726403960

Bedbug Posted - 03/02/2024 : 18:54:03
The surreal story behind HCYM.

Not sure if this was posted before but here you go.

https://americansongwriter.com/the-surreal-story-behind-here-comes-your-man-by-pixies/
billgoodman Posted - 01/17/2024 : 01:27:21
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by jake3

Update (16 Jan 24)

Top 10 Most Streamed Pixies Songs On Spotify:

6) All I Think About Now - 61.2m

What could possibly be the reason for this?

Probably the same reason as why Harness Your Hopes is the most streamed Pavement-song (a b-side!)

Some algorithm-magic!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Troubles A Foot Posted - 01/16/2024 : 22:11:35
quote:

Update (16 Jan 24)

What could possibly be the reason for this?
jake3 Posted - 01/16/2024 : 12:26:52
quote:

quote:

An interesting Spotify stat:

'All I Think About Now' is the 10th most listened to song in the entire Pixies catalogue having more listens than any other song on ‘Come On Pilgrim’, ‘Bossanova’, ‘Trompe Le Monde’, ‘Indie Cindy’, ‘Head Carrier’ or ‘Beneath the Eerie’, as well as more listens than any FB/BF/Catholics song or any Breeders song, excluding 'Cannonball'.

Quite the achievement for Paz's first songwriting contribution!

Just to update this 'All I Think About Now' is still rapidly gaining listens on Spotify. It's now the 7th most listened to Pixies song on the platform at 39.9 million listens behind 'Where Is My Mind?' (662.3m), 'Here Comes Your Man' (169.9m), 'Hey' (145.5m), 'Debaser' (81.9m), 'Monkey Gone To Heaven' (68m) and 'Gouge Away' (40.5m). Quite unbelievable really. From what I can gather it's a Spotify playlist thing.

Update (16 Jan 24)

1) Where Is My Mind? - 810.6m
2) Here Comes Your Man - 203m
3) Hey - 169.3m
4) Debaser - 93.1m
5) Monkey Gone To Heaven - 83m
7) Gouge Away - 51.8m
8) Wave of Mutilation - 41.4m
9) Gigantic - 35.2m
10) Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf) - 34.4m

x) Cannonball - 115.6m

Monthly Listeners:

Pixies - 9.6m
The Breeders - 1.2m
Frank Black - 152k
Frank Black & The Catholics - 14.4k
Black Francis - 12k
Grand Duchy - <1k
Bedbug Posted - 01/10/2024 : 00:27:07
https://americansongwriter.com/we-think-theres-an-indie-rock-band-thats-as-influential-as-the-beatles-and-bowie-would-agree-5-massive-artists-influenced-by-pixies/
billgoodman Posted - 12/22/2023 : 00:05:19
I love Bluey btw, but I watch it in Dutch with my kids
of course

It's one of the best shows I have ever seen. And watch children's television primarly.

billgoodman Posted - 12/22/2023 : 00:04:15
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Anyone ever listen to / hear of a band called Custard? They’re Australian, have been active since like 1990 or so. I found out about them because my daughters watch (and I do to for that matter) a lot of Bluey. It’s a cute short Aussie cartoon on Disney+. Anyway. I read an article that mentioned that the guy that voices Bluey’s dad - David McCormack - is the lead in this band called Custard.

I dug them up on Apple Music mainly just curious thinking it would be funny to picture Bandit fronting a band. Although it is a humorous image, turns out, I really dig them. There’s more than a hint of pixies / FBF in there, especially in the earlier stuff. They definitely have their own thing going though. I’ve yet to throw on an album that didn’t grab me.

So far I’ve spent some time with their latest called “Respect All Lifeforms,” which is great, “Wisenheimer,” and “Wahooti Fandango” (from 1994). Wahooti is my favorite so far. Give it a spin and tell me you don’t hear shades of TOTY era Frank and Catholics. I wonder if Charles knows them or if they’ve ever crossed paths. Seriously, the weird amalgam of punk and garage grunge pop plus steel guitar is all here... In a few songs you can hear like a little blueprint for the Catholics...

Always fun to “find” new music that’s been there all along.

bonus edit: I know technically this probably goes in some "what are you listening to?" obscure thread somewhere around here, but it's really only like 5 of us, so whatever.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

He turns out to be a major Devo fan too, has made a recording as Davo, which is pretty funny.

Stevio10 Posted - 12/11/2023 : 14:37:15
I've done some light listening they seem quite good. I seem to be having some sort of music apathy thing going on at the moment where music just isn't doing much for me so I'm not able to give much of an opinion. I hope it's temporary.
johnnyribcage Posted - 12/02/2023 : 17:12:06
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

I'd never heard of them but know of Bluey of course!

Had a wee look on Wikipedia and found this;

1996 and 1997 were big years for the band, touring Australia with Weezer, Frank Black, Beck and the Presidents of the USA

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custard_(band)

Interesting that EDF produced, will check them out.

Check them out and let me know what you think. That Wahooti is still my fav so far.

Stevio10 Posted - 12/02/2023 : 04:38:24
I'd never heard of them but know of Bluey of course!

Had a wee look on Wikipedia and found this;

1996 and 1997 were big years for the band, touring Australia with Weezer, Frank Black, Beck and the Presidents of the USA

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custard_(band)

Interesting that EDF produced, will check them out.
johnnyribcage Posted - 12/01/2023 : 19:44:27
Aaaannnnddd I'm listening to one of theirs from 1997, We Have The Technology, and I'm like - DAMN this just reminds me of the spirit of TOTY, solo FB... looked it up and turns out it's produced by Eric Drew Feldman. Am I the last one to this party? Am I just that dreadfully behind?

johnnyribcage Posted - 12/01/2023 : 12:10:09
Anyone ever listen to / hear of a band called Custard? They’re Australian, have been active since like 1990 or so. I found out about them because my daughters watch (and I do to for that matter) a lot of Bluey. It’s a cute short Aussie cartoon on Disney+. Anyway. I read an article that mentioned that the guy that voices Bluey’s dad - David McCormack - is the lead in this band called Custard.

I dug them up on Apple Music mainly just curious thinking it would be funny to picture Bandit fronting a band. Although it is a humorous image, turns out, I really dig them. There’s more than a hint of pixies / FBF in there, especially in the earlier stuff. They definitely have their own thing going though. I’ve yet to throw on an album that didn’t grab me.

So far I’ve spent some time with their latest called “Respect All Lifeforms,” which is great, “Wisenheimer,” and “Wahooti Fandango” (from 1994). Wahooti is my favorite so far. Give it a spin and tell me you don’t hear shades of TOTY era Frank and Catholics. I wonder if Charles knows them or if they’ve ever crossed paths. Seriously, the weird amalgam of punk and garage grunge pop plus steel guitar is all here... In a few songs you can hear like a little blueprint for the Catholics...

Always fun to “find” new music that’s been there all along.

bonus edit: I know technically this probably goes in some "what are you listening to?" obscure thread somewhere around here, but it's really only like 5 of us, so whatever.

Bedbug Posted - 11/27/2023 : 10:31:50
Kind of a strange article - top 20 Pixies songs to get people to leave your pub

https://thehardtimes.net/lists/the-top-20-pixies-songs-to-get-customers-out-as-you-end-your-bar-shift/
Bedbug Posted - 11/11/2023 : 16:16:46
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Almost a hate positing but if you do click you will discover something new. Apparently Kim Deal was the only decent guitarist in the Pixies

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-guitarists-1234814010/

Thanks for posting that Sprite

Not only do they make you have to scroll through the whole list one entry (with photo) at a time, but when you get through all 250 you didn't see the name Dean Ween anywhere. That's my complaint.
Sprite Posted - 11/11/2023 : 15:05:26
Almost a hate positing but if you do click you will discover something new. Apparently Kim Deal was the only decent guitarist in the Pixies

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-guitarists-1234814010/
Bedbug Posted - 10/27/2023 : 13:45:49
NYTimes sent me this today, along with a nice photo of Charles and the gang

“15 Great Songs from 1989 (The Year, Not the Album)” track list
Track 1: Janet Jackson, “Miss You Much”
Track 2: De La Soul, “Me Myself and I”
Track 3: The Stone Roses, “She Bangs the Drums”
Track 4: R.E.M., “Pop Song 89”
Track 5: Depeche Mode, “Personal Jesus”
Track 6: Beastie Boys, “Egg Man”
Track 7: Love and Rockets, “So Alive”
Track 8: Madonna, “Cherish”
Track 9: Pixies, “Debaser”
Track 10: Elvis Costello, “Veronica”
Track 11: Public Enemy, “Fight the Power”
Track 12: Nirvana, “About a Girl”
Track 13: Galaxie 500, “Strange”
Track 14: Kate Bush, “This Woman’s Work”
Track 15: Indigo Girls, “Closer to Fine”
Sprite Posted - 10/10/2023 : 07:01:00
Good link this. It includes the only Pixies song from the original run (besides Boom Chikka Boom) that I never heard back in the day. It's a cover of the Beach Boys I know there's an answer as Hang on to your Ego.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cZo9Z6y8sk
Brank_Flack Posted - 10/09/2023 : 12:29:33
Wow, I've never heard of it. That's exciting!
Sprite Posted - 10/09/2023 : 10:34:10
Born in Chicago no? I nearly spent a lot of money on Rubáiyát to get it, but held back.
Brank_Flack Posted - 10/06/2023 : 09:03:30
Love that one - too bad it didn't make the B-Sides and Rarities album (is it the only song from the original run not collected in it?)
pot Posted - 10/05/2023 : 14:22:27
Heard this today in the record shop where I officially just sold my first 4x4" mounted Pixies design print (even though it's not that good and I probably need to rework it) - it's a Leonard Cohen cover that I don't remember very well and I thought it was that new one from that other tribute album I can't remember

It's Cult Of Ray as fuck I think ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzS_M9XC43g

Hey - I forgot about I Can't Forget
Bedbug Posted - 09/11/2023 : 06:40:15
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

I like the repeated shouting bit at the end. Plenty of songs with royalty in the title now:

Jane The Queen of Love (w/ Catholics)
King and Queen of Siam (w/ Catholics)
The Real El Rey (solo)
The King and Queen (w/ the Suicide Commandos)
Andro Queen (w/ Pixies)

His Kingly Cave
The Maharal Posted - 09/10/2023 : 07:09:33
I like the repeated shouting bit at the end. Plenty of songs with royalty in the title now:

Jane The Queen of Love (w/ Catholics)
King and Queen of Siam (w/ Catholics)
The Real El Rey (solo)
The King and Queen (w/ the Suicide Commandos)
Andro Queen (w/ Pixies)
pot Posted - 09/10/2023 : 01:05:08
Has a bit of a BTE Demoes feel to it too
Bedbug Posted - 09/09/2023 : 14:50:57
Glad to hear it. Agree that it reminds me of solo FB. Good stuff
Sprite Posted - 09/09/2023 : 02:18:49
I'm digging it, sounds a bit more early FB&C than Pixies on first listen.
Stevio10 Posted - 09/08/2023 : 11:41:37
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Pixies to contribute to Leon Russel tribute album

https://www.stereogum.com/2229627/pixies-margo-price-u-s-girls-more-featured-on-new-leon-russell-tribute-album/music/

Forgot this was out today, had a listen and first impression...it sounds like a Frank Black cover we used to get so many of back in the day
billgoodman Posted - 09/08/2023 : 01:37:17
More on topic:

See what boygenius - chroniqueurs/gatekeepers/editors of their own - have collected for us:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWUWDUTr5d7Wq

Frank Black is choice number three!

billgoodman Posted - 09/08/2023 : 01:32:52
All good input in our discussion.
Thanks friends!

Gatekeepers have always been there. Sometimes they keep things from their channels for good reason, sometimes for a bad reason and lot's of it is random. I work in the cultural heritage sector. It's my job to collect journalism, media art, you name it, and archive it. We don't know what will be left of our cultural production of today, but since lot's of cultural production from the past is being re-released thanks to archives, it's safe to say that the chances are bigger that a story (in audio, video, on paper, in digital form) is being retold by the next generations if it's kept safe in a climate controlled vault, with digital back ups and so on.

My and my co-workers decide what will probably "the story of the past" in the future. The stuff that we don't archive, for whatever reason, has a bigger chance to dissappear, to perish. We save cultural production for a living. We also cancel cultural production for a living.

Publishers, journalists, labels, they all do and always have. We hope they will base their choices on well informed expertise. Not because a goverment tells them to, that would be censorship. Not because (a small part of the) the public tells them to. I wouldn't call that censorship, but maybe it is. Self censorship, could very well be? I have no idea what's in the head of the gatekeepers. Of course everything has influence on the gatekeepers. What is considered politically correct in point in time has a bigger chance to get past the gatekeeper.

We live in a time that gatekeepers have less impact, they can't control cultural production like they used to. That's a good thing. Thanks to to (open source) online media. People can archive things on their own, people can publish things on their own, people can release records on their own. If you want to draw a scary Joker and release it to millions of people nobody is stopping you, apart maybe from a copyright lawyer. (one of the tools the gatekeepers still have). Should DC release a scary Joker if they want. Yep, I think they should. But maybe they are afraid to sell less. They don't care about cultural values primarly, they want to sell books first. Sensitivity readers are not there because they trully want a better product and don't want to offend people. It's pr. It is selfcensorship, but not different from the countless editors in comics, in the movie industry before that told their artists how to work. You start with a rough punk version of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and you end up with a bland cartoon named The Teenage Mutant Hero (!) Turtles. I hope artists can get all the freedom to release what they want. Some parts of the cultural industry are relatively editor free. I'm all up for it.

People can now fight the gatekeepers, they can question their authority. It's way easier to contact a gatekeeper than it used to be. Or to call them out. To "cancel them". The gatekeeper could just ignore the public, and maybe they should. We have to find a new balance in all this.

pot Posted - 09/07/2023 : 15:03:56
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by pot

I know a few Asian doctors and experts who were cancelled for their views on COVID - but I think most or all the culture cancelling is targetted towards White Western values and history etc - do you have an example of cancel culture attacking some cultural aspect of African or Asian culture ? I can’t think of one

I'm not talking about COVID, I'm talking about art.

Yes. Disney censoring Song of the South:

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Tar_Baby#:~:text=Originally%2C%20the%20Tar%20Baby%20was,different%20from%20the%20animated%20segments%2C

This aspect of the film (and the Splash Mountain ride) is based on African folklore. The story was invented by Africans many many years ago. It made white people uncomfortable so it's gone.

And this is the Asian author who had her book unpublished because it dared to discuss slavery from her own culture's history, which offended insane white people who don't want to hear about slavery, except when they want everybody to talk about it, and it never makes sense because these people are incoherent and hypocritical:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/feb/01/young-adult-author-cancels-own-novel-after-race-controversy

"Zhao, who raised in Beijing and emigrated from China to the US at the age of 18, said she wrote the book “from my immediate cultural perspective”, writing that the slavery storylines in her novel “represent a specific critique of the epidemic of indentured labor and human trafficking prevalent in many industries across Asia, including in my own home country”."

Ok fine - they cancelled slavery history because it didn't paint white people as the bad guys ? And African folklore cancelled because white people bad sounds like you are inferring ?

Don't know anything about all the above just saying what I perceive as a general bias against certain cultures over others that's being promoted as a media narrative

Censorship is evil whatever it is cancelling and what we are seeing is all part of a more sinister agenda

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000