Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Not worth a topic, but at least postable...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  11:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Florian

Never seen this before:
Pixies - Concert Hall, Toronto - Nov 30, 1991 1 of 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf50O1Avag8

The other parts are on youtube, too.

Regards Florian

AMAZING!!! this link deserves their own topic

velvety instrumental....cecilia ann....something against you....brick is red... for the intro song. Killer setlist

thank you very much, those links made my day
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  11:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
damn it...ana is next..caribou...subbacultcha....
Go to Top of Page

Florian
- FB Fan -

Germany
13 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  12:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is also an interview with FB from the same uploader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8QGIjQl2zc
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  07:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GameInformer.com - Pixies Recorded A Game Cover Before It Was Cool.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  17:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

GameInformer.com - Pixies Recorded A Game Cover Before It Was Cool.

super cool!
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  01:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tor.com - Planet of Sound: Pixies, “The Happening”.

The L Magazine - Volume Addicts and Rehearsed Accidents: An Interview with Sleigh Bells.

Are there any other bands you like who you feel are exploring loudness the way you are?
Most of my favorite bands have a marriage of disparate elements in common, I guess is the academic way of putting it. Nirvana, of course. The songs were incredibly catchy, and I think even Dave Grohl compared them to nursery rhymes at one point. The story goes that Kurt had to make the guitars really loud and really heavy to make up for the fact that they were just pop songs. So right there you have noise and melody. The Pixies of course, were doing the same thing. I love the Pixies to death. They could be absolutely ferocious, very scary. And then of course they have “Here Comes Your Man.” The friction that goes on between these two things is usually what I’m drawn to. And the Pixies do it literally, Nirvana does it literally. But I also love Motown so much because Martha Reeves and Diana Ross, they could simultaneously sound really hard and really tough but also heartbroken. My favorite vocalists tend to have those qualities: very tough and very vulnerable. I think that’s what makes a great singer.

Edited by - Carl on 05/12/2011 10:47:01
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  03:08:17  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Found this on one of my youtube odysseys. Pretty cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MicZYowm8IA
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  09:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paste Magazine - 11 Of Our Favorite Artists' Favorite Extracurricular Activities.

The Japan Times Online - Puffyshoes just wanna have fun.

Shorter is nearly always better. The Pixies managed to cram three verses and choruses into just 94 seconds on "Trompe le Monde" track "Palace of the Brine," and it became one of the best songs they ever wrote. And just look at almost any tune recorded by The Supremes or The Shangri-Las or Elvis Presley, or all The Beatles' early stuff (before they became rubbish) — nearly all within earshot of the magic three-minute mark. Five-minute-long J-pop ballads? No thanks. Make them a short, sharp shock — or keep them the hell away from our stereo.

Boston Phoenix - On The Download - [bmp video] Bodega Girls cover Pixies.

Popdust - The Ten Least-Eventful Music Videos In History.

SoundCloud - Pixies - Where is my mind (Young Edits Balearic Anxiety Mix).

guardian.co.uk - Guardian young arts critic competition 2011: Our critics' picks.

From an illicit Pixies gig to a Mesopotamian ziggurat, Guardian critics recall their biggest moment of inspiration in their respective fields

Pop: Alexis Petridis

Can any gig you see as a critic ever match the ones you saw as a teenager? Bizarrely, going to a gig when I was 17 was harder work than writing reviews has ever been. It involved not merely getting to London, but lying to my parents about where I was going, lying to my friend's parents about where my parents thought I was going, bunking off school, and then convincing somebody who looked 18 to go to the bar on my behalf.

But none of that mattered the night I saw the Pixies supported by My Bloody Valentine, in September 1988. It's not every night you see arguably the two most important guitar bands of the era on the same stage at the peak of their powers: the Pixies had just released their incredible second album, Surfer Rosa, while My Bloody Valentine had released the astonishing single You Made Me Realise.

It says something about the pre-internet age that, before they walked on, I had no idea what the Pixies looked like. I didn't expect the guy who sang all those dark songs about sex and violence to be chubby and balding. This was nothing compared to the shock of their sound: a ceaseless roar, with the next song starting as the last chord of the previous one was still dying away.

I remember that gig in snapshots. Two roadies having to hold on to My Bloody Valentine's drumkit as Colm O'Cíosóig hit it with such ferocity that it started moving across the stage. The Pixies performing Hey, a song so self-evidently filthy it seemed to have been beamed in from another world. But most of all, I remember feeling more excited than I'd ever been in my life. You could argue that my career has involved chasing that feeling ever since.

The A.V. Club - Surfer Blood covers The Pixies.

SoundSpike - Q&A: Aaron "P-Nut" Wills of 311.

I understand you grew up listening to Kim Deal as an inspiration?

Everyone's a Pixies fan, I think, at least in my world. It's certainly not technical bass playing. It's not listening to Flea or Les Claypool or the technique kind of slapping kind of thing which I love as well, probably was even a bigger influence on me. The way Frank Black and the rest of the guys in the band wrote music, it was tricky in a really under the table kind of way. It wasn't like tricky right in front of you, like "I'm going to make something appear out of my hand." It's more like my hand would change color over time. You would wake up and say, "Wow, that's something I've never heard before, especially if you're trying to play along with it." The changes that they decide to use are so unique that to play them and learn how they create their songs is really smart for musicians to know how to do, because Frank Black does it as good as anybody -- especially in that simplicity. There's a simplicity to it where other bands would do kind of a cheesy pop change, Frank Black would do a classical fall down like a half step and make everything feel a little slower. Something about the way Frank Black writes has always turned me on. Even with his solo stuff and especially the Pixies stuff. I love the guy. I think he's about as underrated as they come and still a legend. Still a total legend. Seeing them live a couple times has been one of the best concert experiences ever besides seeing Ween.

Edited by - Carl on 06/22/2011 08:58:54
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  10:46:24  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seeing them [Pixies] live a couple times has been one of the best concert experiences ever besides seeing Ween.

now there's a compliment!
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2011 :  08:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(Hi Soren!)

Gibson.com - Gibson.com¡¯s Top 50 American Rock Bands of All Time ¨C #40-31.

Punknews.org - Ceremony signs to Matador.

Ceremony's farewell effort for Bridge Nine has been jointly announced, as well: Covers, a six-song EP of such that will include takes on Urban Waste ("Public Opinion"), Pixies ("Nimrod's Son"), Crisis ("Holocaust"), Eddie and the Subtitles ("American Society"), Vile ("5 to 10¡å) and Wire ("Pink Flag"). No release date was mentioned, but pre-orders are expected shortly.

Nashville Scene - Is She Weird, Is She White: Pixies Tribute w/Foxcore: Sleater-Kinney Tribute.

News Letter - frontman Tim goes back to his roots.

WHEN a group of 15-year-olds from Downpatrick started jamming in a garage in 1992, they could hardly have imagined that they would achieve the kind of fame that would see them supporting the Pixies in Paris and Berlin, playing a gig between performances by Iggy Pop and David Bowie, selling eight million albums worldwide, scooping an Ivor Novello Award for the insanely catchy Shining Light and being the only people at Chris Martin’s stag do....

“Supporting the Pixies was awesome - they were all teetotal at the time and one of them kept sneaking into our dressing room when they heard we had bottles of whiskey. We supported David Bowie in east Berlin, then we played with him in America in 2003 along with Moby. Bowie arrived in a limosine and stood around backstage smoking a cigarette. He was really nice and was talking about how hard it was to promote his new album. We were like ‘what? You’re David Bowie!’ He was very down-to-earth.”

Joystiq - Stacking dev crafting Pixies-inspired Matryoshka dolls for tribute art exhibition.

Edited by - Carl on 07/06/2011 10:11:31
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  08:50:02  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  12:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! Wayne is a Pixies fan! :D

Newswire Today - LITM Presents 'Caribou', A Solo Show by Masking Tape Artist Kate Hester.

Kotaku - The Double Fine Art of Lee Petty.

...Oh, and if you're in the area, Petty is also contributing work to Dig for Fire, an exhibition celebrating iconic rockers The Pixies, which will be open from September 9 to October 1 at C.A.V.E. Gallery in Venice, California.

seattlepi.com - Vinyl Tap: Pixies - "Break My Body".

Charleston City Paper - The Pixies, Doolittle, and our addiction to nostalgia.

Dallas Observer - Q&A: Mission of Burma's Clint Conley on Why His Band is Unlike The Pixies.

TwentyFourBit - Noah & the Whale Cover Pixies – “Where Is My Mind?”

anihilus - Never Mind The Pixies.

YouTube - GOBBLE GOBBLE - Where Is My Mind (Pixies Blasphemy).

LIVE 105 - PIXIES RADIO SPECIAL: TONIGHT ON SOUNDCHECK!

From a Mess to The Masses - The Album List #44: The Pixies "Doolittle".

Washington City Paper - Don’t Be Bored: Uncross Those Arms.

Mose Allison is exactly the kind of guy the Pixies would write one of their most joyful songs about. Musically, though, the Mississippi Delta–born octogenarian is as far from guitar-drenched alt-rock as you can get: He’s a pianist and singer who plays a jazz-blues hybrid with effortless swing and a sly, clear vocal groan. But what’s endeared him to musicians ranging from Van Morrison to Frank Black is his endless supply of inspiration. Onstage, he’s clearly delighted to once again sit behind the keys, and every note sounds with grace and aplomb as he finds new ways to attack 75-year-old Sonny Boy Williamson blues and his own originals. These songs should have long since been exhausted after hundreds of performances—or, for that matter, by the countless cover versions that have been made over the past half-century. Yet they’re somehow still fresh with every performance, and Allison’s Deep South charm lifts them into the sublime. Tonight through Sunday at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. at Blues Alley. $25.

The Comet - 25 Indie Album Musts For Your Lifetime.

3. Surfer Rosa- Pixies

The Pixies debut album, Surfer Rosa, was released in 1988. The album strongly influenced bands like Nirvana and The Smashing Pumpkins. The album combines a distinct drum sound with a low-fidelity sound. Surfer Rosa would soon be followed by their sophomore album Doolittle which was also critically acclaimed. The Pixies sound was unique for the 80’s and influenced the grunge movement of the early 90’s, proving the albums importance to the music industry.

NME.COM - Professor Green to release second album 'At Your Inconvenience' in October.

...Album track 'Spinning Out' sees Green and Fink offering their own take on the Pixies
‘Where Is My Mind?’. Other songs on the album include the acoustic 'Today I Cried', 'Into
The Ground', 'Astronaut' and 'Avalon' which features Sierra Kusterbuck from
VersaEmerge. 'Nightmares' sees guest appearances from Kobe and Royce Da 5'9".

Riverfront Times - Nine Albums Overshadowed by Nevermind.

8. The Pixies - Trompe le Monde
As Nirvana entered, one of its biggest influences exited. The Pixies released its final album, Trompe le Monde, the day before Nevermind. Pioneers of the quiet-loud-quiet song structure, which Kurt Cobain admits he "ripped off" when writing Nevermind. The Pixies went balls-out loud on its final recorded work. Tensions in the band, particularly between singer/guitarist Black Francis and bassist/vocalist Kim Deal, fueled an angry work filled with sarcasm and screaming. They toured behind the album until Francis disbanded them in 1993. Despite the bad ending, the band reunited a decade later and continues to tour.

"U-Mass" from Trompe le Monde is a riotous anthem against apathy, with Black directing snarling sarcasm at his alma mater, an outward anger instead of Nirvana's inward-looking pained response to an apathetic society.

YouTube - the pixies - u mass.

Fatandyz Vintage - The Pixies Trompe Le Monde.

Q Magazine - Column - Chris Morris' best musical parodies: Pulp, Pixies, R.E.M. and more.

The Music Ninja - [Glowbug Remix] Pixies – Where Is My Mind | Yeah Yeah Yeah – Maps.

JamBase - Trampled by Turtles Release Pixies cover to benefit WhyHunger.

The Daily Collegian - Dollar$ and Sense: Why students choose UMass.

...Senior Zoe Balmuth, 21, of Towson, Md., also wanted to see new faces.

“[The University of Maryland] – College Park was filled with everyone I had always known and when I visited it just didn’t feel like the right fit – little fences around all the grass, no one sitting around just enjoying the day,” said Balmuth. “Everyone looked stressed out and was running around looking confused.”

Balmuth also had an unconventional reason for coming to UMass.

“I came to UMass because of the song ‘UMass’ by the Pixies,” said Balmuth. “They actually met in Van Meter Hall. When my parents tried pushing me to go to an Ivy League school, I just kept saying I was going to go where the Pixies went. It became a bit of a joke.”...

Boston Phoenix - [mp3] Julia Easterlin preps for CMJ, covers Radiohead + the Pixies with Paul Kolderie.

Travel Weekly - £5m Thomson campaign breaks 'turn of year' tradition.

...Music accompanying the ad is an orchestral arrangement of The Pixies track “Where is My Mind” by acclaimed producer Guy Farley...

Edited by - Carl on 10/20/2011 04:11:31
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2011 :  13:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Travel Weekly - £5m Thomson campaign breaks 'turn of year' tradition.

...Music accompanying the ad is an orchestral arrangement of The Pixies track “Where is My Mind” by acclaimed producer Guy Farley...

Ad on youtube

I saw this today when I was watching X Factor somebody in my house was watching X Factor.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  04:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one Stu!

Psychobabble - Seventeen Scary Songs.

17. “Something Against You” by The Pixies (1988)

The Pixies could gust up evil sounds as well as any other group on this list. Yet their violent imagery and Black Francis’s banshee shrieks were often offset by puckish humor that makes their music unexpectedly accessible. Surfer Rosa offers no shortage of dementia. The jauntiness of “Broken Face” and the beauty of “Break My Body” transform them into pop hits for psycho killers. But even Leatherface would get spooked by “Something Against You”. One would not be overreacting to assume this number was composed and performed by a family of cannibals. The opening guitar riff bends in and out of tune like misfiring brainwaves. David Lovering’s drums pummel the cartoonish riff. The band rises from the debris, a hulking, uncontrollable monster. Black Francis screams, “I’ve got something against you!” an animal caught in a trap or a psychopath with murder on the brain. It’s the only phrase he’s capable of uttering until the punch line— “I’m one happy prick”— the incongruity of which only makes him sound crazier and this scary song scarier.

YouTube - Pixies "Something Against You".

Glide Magazine - Rhett Miller Releasing First Ever Solo Live Recording.

October 21, 2011

Critically acclaimed singer/songwriter and Old 97's front man Rhett Miller is set to release his first ever solo live recording, The Interpreter Live At Largo, on November 22nd. The 14-song set will be the first release from Miller's recently established label, Maximum Sunshine Records and was recorded during his final two live performances at the original Largo location on April 11th and 12th of 2008. The recording features the producer and composer Jon Brion (Kanye West, Magnolia) on five songs. Comprised of 14 stellar cover songs by original artists The Kinks, Tom Petty, David Bowie, The Ramones, Elliott Smith, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Pixies and more, the recording is just as much a homage to the spirit of the legendary Los Angeles venue as it is to the original artists that have meant so much to Miller. From Miller's The Interpreter Live At Largo Liner Notes: "Largo was a magical place. Musicians, comedians, actors and assorted weirdos gravitated to Largo and filled the tiny club with such joy that all present were inspired." He continues, "Largo still exists. It's moved into The Coronet Theatre. It's bigger and better in many ways. It still feels like family. But the little old Largo on Fairfax is a moment frozen in time for me. To be on that stage was to be home." The Interpreter Live At Largo also includes two studio recordings as bonus tracks -- The Pixies classic "Wave Of Mutilation," which features The Pixies' Joey Santiago on guitar (Miller's live version of the song is also present) and the Robyn Hitchcock tune "Cynthia Mask."

Prefix Magazine - Quarantining The Past: Ten (Other) Great Albums From 1991.

Pixies: Trompe le Monde(Sept. 23)

How fitting is it that the Pixies' final record came out the day before Nevermind? Talk about torch passing, right? And what a torch to pass. It's the final step in the gradual streamlining of sound that was the band's career, and the results are impressive. There's a heft to these songs that rings out, but it's their surgical precision -- those crunching chords on "UMass," or the angelic close to "Alec Eiffel" -- that makes this record stand up just as well as its three brilliant predecessors. Even when things get weird, on "Space (I Believe In)" or "Subbacultcha," the band seems wholly in control. Black Francis and Kim Deal are at their best as vocal foils, and Joey Santiago's guitar work is simultaneous sharp and ragged. It's sad that they ended so strongly -- two decades later and this still sounds like a band hitting their stride here -- but few bands go out as well as the Pixies did on Trompe le Monde, clearing room for Cobain to carry on their legacy.

YouTube - Pixies - Alec Eiffel.

Music Week - Sync of the Week: Thompson - Time For A Holiday.

The Guardian - Professor Green: At Your Inconvenience – review.

Green's commercially successful debut Alive Till I'm Dead wasn't without its more pensive narratives, and it's in this direction that Hackney battle-rapper-cum-popstar takes his followup. There's the same assortment of polished urban pop beats and the same famous borrow, this time a not unlikable lift from the Pixies' Where Is My Mind?, but Green abandons the cheeky self-deprecating humour and witty braggadocio of his earlier hit singles for unconcealed angst, chewing at his turbulent past and bemoaning the pressures of fame. The introspection pays off on tracks such as Forever Falling, but lead single Read All About It feels cloying. It's also difficult to reconcile Green's more crass verses with his sentimental numbers; Astronaut's tale of innocent rape victim turned junkie sits uncomfortably next to all the phallus jokes and Eminem-style sadism of songs such as Into the Ground. It's a heavy, ambivalent confessional, but Green's precocious personality and distinctive flow manage to keep it fired up.

Edited by - Carl on 10/27/2011 13:41:16
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  23:23:31  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder how much Frank's made from WIMM? alone...ch ching
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  04:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite a bit, I should imagine! (Hi Soren!)

The Irish Times - What's On Your Rider?

What’s the best gig you’ve been to? I think Pixies at Brixton. It just completely blew me away where they were capable of taking you within four minutes.

The Current Music Blog - Teenage Kicks La La Loves You. (And Pixies!).

BostonHerald.com - Burma’s Roger Miller to do Berklee acoustic show.

Berklee’s student-run label Heavy Rotation Records is celebrating its latest release, “Under the Influence,” out Dec. 6, with a concert featuring Mission of Burma’s Roger Miller.

Unplugged, which will be very interesting, Miller will join Berklee students and alumni Dec. 3 at the Berklee Performance Center. The show will feature covers of massive rockers from U2 to Red Hot Chili Peppers to Radiohead and the should-have-been massive bands that influenced a generation — Mission of Burma, Hüsker Dü, Joy Division, Gang of Four, the Pixies, and My Bloody Valentine.

“Under the Influence” was produced by local legend Paul Kolderie using the same console he used to record the Pixies and Radiohead, along with some of the original amps, pre-amps and mics. Yes, young Berklee kid, you just sang into the same mic Frank Black sneered “Some marijuana if you’ve got some!!!” into. Well, maybe. At least that’s what you should tell your friends.

The concert is $8 in advance ($12 day of show) and begins at 8:15 p.m. Tickets and details at berkleebpc.com and at the box office.

exclaim.ca - Mother Mother Cover the Pixies on New iTunes Live Album.

Media-Newswire.com - Heavy Rotation Records Album Release Concert December 3.

(Media-Newswire.com) - Berklee's student-run label Heavy Rotation Records ( HRR ) releases its latest project, Under the Influence, on December 6. The compilation features Berklee students and alumni covering some of rock's biggest names, including REM, Green Day, U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, and Smashing Pumpkins, and the seminal bands that influenced their sounds—Mission of Burma, Hüsker Dü, Joy Division, Gang of Four, the Pixies, and My Bloody Valentine...

...Under the Influence was produced by Paul Kolderie, cofounder of famed Fort Apache Studios, who produced or engineered some of the original artists. Unlike past HRR CDs, where students submitted songs already recorded, Kolderie went into the studio with artists chosen by the label and helmed the project from the beginning. He used the same console he used to record the Pixies and Radiohead, along with some of the original amps, pre-amps, and mics. "Unfortunately the original studios are gone, so we couldn't go to those locations," said Kolderie. "But we did as much as possible to incorporate the older gear into the new songs." In addition to Pixies and Radiohead, Kolderie's credits include Billy Bragg, Buffalo Tom, Dinosaur Jr., Hole, Morphine, Portugal. The Man, and many more...

...The recording features Julia Easterlin ( Pixies, Radiohead ), Da'Rayia ( Gang of Four, Red Hot Chili Peppers ), David Pramik featuring Johnny Duke ( Joy Division, U2 ), the Boston Boys featuring Emily Elbert ( Hüsker Dü, Green Day ), the Berklee String Metal Ensemble ( My Bloody Valentine, Smashing Pumpkins ), and Pinn Panelle ( Mission of Burma, REM ). The project gave each HRR artist the opportunity to reinterpret songs by a pair of these classic bands, using their creativity to make something new. They wrote their own arrangements and instrumentations for the new versions. Although the artists are performing covers for this project, they are not cover bands. Each writes and performs original music in varied genres—with the exception of the Berklee String Metal Ensemble...

Indiewire - 'I Melt With You' Soundtrack Features The Pixies, Galaxie 500, Jesus And Mary Chain & More.

Edited by - Carl on 11/15/2011 10:06:45
Go to Top of Page

Florian
- FB Fan -

Germany
13 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  12:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this while surfing on flickr:

I'll print this on a plotter as poster for my room
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  12:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's pretty cool!

The Daily Iowan - Tracks from the Past: Pixies' Doolittle.

Rolling Stone - Exclusive Album Premiere: Rhett Miller's 'The Interpreter: Live at Largo'.

Old 97's frontman Rhett Miller keeps his solo career rolling with the upcoming release of The Interpreter: Live at Largo, a dozen live acoustic covers of some of his favorite songs by David Bowie, the Pixies, the Kinks, Elliott Smith and more. The release, the first for Miller's new label, Maximum Sunshine, was recorded over two nights in April, 2008 at the original location of Largo, the intimate, much-loved L.A. venue.

The album features several tracks with Jon Brion on piano and two bonus studio cuts, including a second version of the Pixies' "Wave of Mutilation" (which Miller considers "the greatest song ever written by an American") with Joey Santiago of the Pixies on guitar. To celebrate the release, Miller will appear with special guests at the current location of Largo, at the Coronet Theatre in L.A., on November 28th. The Interpreter comes out on Tuesday, but you can preview the album in its entirety here.

Celebuzz - Celebuzz Debut! Sammy Adams Concert Footage Set to New Single ‘Blow Up’ (VIDEO).

Boston’s own Sammy Adams (not to be confused with the city’s beer) is making a name for himself these days.

With the premiere of his new song “Blow up”, Celebuzz is excited to debut a brand-new video showing footage from his recent performances, all set to his new song!

“Boston’s Boy” — as he has donned himself — can be seen head bobbing and jumping on stage.

The song — which features a sample from The Pixies‘ 1988 single “Where Is My Mind?” — it is the first release from his upcoming major label release.

The 23-year-old Massachusetts native has impressed with his indie efforts, quickly becoming a fan favorite of the college set. What do you think of his new song? Sound off in the comments below!

slicing up eyeballs - Video: Watch Pixies’ full 82-minute ‘Come Home’ concert from Boston in 2004.

PopMatters - Counterbalance No. 59: Pixies’ 'Doolittle'.

Largo at the Coronet - The Pixies’ Joey Santiago & Old 97s’ Murray Hammond joined Rhett Miller (11/28)!

Daily Kos: Pixies are Magical and They Make Great Music.

Boston.com - 'Under the Influence' of Boston studio.

CBC.ca Radio - Imaginary Cities Q+A: Police stations, Beef & blue cheese pizza and The Pixies magic shows.

Dane101 - dane101 fundraiser: Q&A with Crackity Jones.

House-Mixes.com - dj aeiou - caribou the pixies robodub edit dj aeiou.

Scotsman.com - Review: Twin Atlantic, HMV Picture House.

...The procession of efficient and euphoric pop choruses came to a head with Human After All, which broke down into a daring set-piece where singer Sam McTrusty dived into the crowd from a high podium, then things slowed into acoustic versions of Pixies’ Where is My Mind and their own delicate Crash Land. All were received with loud adoration, leading McTrusty to comment before the closing Free: “Never in our wildest dreams could we imagine this many people caring about our music.”

Topspin Media - PIXIES + Topspin Direct-To-Fan Ticketing.

Elbows Music Blog Aggregator - Video: - Music - This Week in Music - Richard Jones, Manager for PIXIES.

YouTube - Sunday Girl - Where Is My Mind (Official Video).

The Guardian - How music can reach out and touch us.

...I suppose this affects us most profoundly when we are young, when that hand reaching out of the darkness is still so new and unexpected; I remember nights staring at my ghetto blaster with bewildered delight as it gave me the wiry guitar that opens the Velvet Underground song Heroin, or Frank Black's lurching half-bark at the start of the Pixies' Hey, or pretty much every word of Belle & Sebastian's Tigermilk, and the way Björk sang the word "drop" in Anchor Song.

sp!ked - Pop history: a poor substitute for real history.

A Heart Is A Spade - Cassettes Won’t Listen Cover Pixies.

Los Angeles Times - The Unholy Three at the Steve Allen Theater.

Rolling Stone - Week in Rock History: Pixies Break Up.

Edited by - Carl on 01/09/2012 06:50:38
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  17:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smack it
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  06:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KCRW Music Blog - Van Hunt Covers The Pixies – Hey.

Liz's 1001 Albums: Day 670: Pixies – Bossanova.

YouTube - Thin Lizzy vs Pixies - The Boys Are Back In Heaven.

411mania.com: The Savage Animal 01.18.12 The Videography of Pixies.

Idolator.com - Watch Sammy Adams “Blow Up” On ‘Conan’.

Massachusetts’ newest rapper-singer export Sammy Adams made his TV debut on Conan last night, performing his Pixies-sampling single “Blow Up”. We were proud to premiere the tune right here on Idolator back in November, and we’re even more excited to see him take on late-night TV with a killer performance. Watch below, and go ahead and grab his new mixtape Into The Wild while you’re at it.

GQ.COM (UK) - GQ&A: Patton Oswalt.

Your character in Young Adult has an impressive range of band t-shirts. Could any have come from your own wardrobe?
I had a "Death To The Pixies" t-shirt but I lost it to an ex-girlfriend. Listen to this: when I was at college I saw the Pixies opening for Love And Rockets on the Doolittle tour. The Pixies come out and they're just hopping around the stage, messing with the crowd and Black Francis played so hard he broke a string. An amazing show. Then Love And Rockets come stomping out, plant their feet, do their debut album in order - the one with "So Alive" on it - march off, came back, did "No New Tale To Tell" and march off. No banter, nothing - they clearly hated each other. Then the band broke up. Couple of years later, Pixies come back to the Vault in Washington DC touring Trompe Le Monde with Pere Ubu were opening up. Pere Ubu were loving every second of it. Pixies march out, plant their feet, do Trompe Le Mondein order, march off, march back on, do "Monkey Gone to Heaven", march off, show's over. Never once spoke to each other, never once spoke to the crowd. It was this weird moment when you thought "Sometimes when bands are on the road too much they feel "F*** these people. I hate this." It was fascinating to watch that transformation.

CityBeat - Squeeze the Day for Feb. 3.

Momentous Happenings in Music History for February 3

On this day in 2004, 11 years after breaking up, Alternative Rock pioneers Pixies announced they would do a full-scale reunion tour. Though successful during its initial late ’80s/early ’90s run, the band's legacy grew outrageously after splitting, so it seemed only fair that Pixies members would reap some riches from their posthumous fame and enduring influence. But after reportedly raking in $14 million on that first jaunt, the band doesn't seem to be able to stop reunion-touring, doing consistent jaunts ever since. In 2009, Pixies did numerous dates in honor of the 20th anniversary of their Doolittle album. Last fall, the tour was still going as the band performed a month's worth of U.S. dates on its Doolittle/Lost Cities tour (celebrating Doolittle's 22nd anniversary, I suppose).

All the while, the band has (mostly) expressed no desire to record a new album. In the seven years Pixies have been a band again, they've released a total of two new songs — the Kim Deal-sung "Bam Thwok" and the below cover of Warren Zevon's "Ain't That Pretty At All," for the Zevon tribute album, Enjoy Every Sandwich.

YouTube - Ain't That pretty at all - Pixies.

Fenway News Online - Radiohead, Pixies, REM, Joy Division and more covered on “Under the Influence”.

Old 'stache: Doolittle: Pixies’ Metaphysical Masterpiece.

The Fridge - Crushed vs. Cubed: The Pixies – “Where Is My Mind?”

Culture Brats: Top 20 Pixies Songs (Nos. 16-20)

Edited by - Carl on 03/01/2012 07:49:45
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  04:49:00  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Band Reunions: The 7 Best And Worst, From Led Zeppelin To The Spice Girls
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/02/reunion-shows-tours_n_1311408.html#s742409&title=The_Pixies

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  22:39:49  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i dunno, 8 years of a creativity-free existence kind of counts as a bad reunion

yes the reunion was super exciting in 2004 but there's no way to justify it anymore beyond frank's kids (and yeah that's a good reason, for frank -- i'm not gonna claim it's about anything more for the fans)

-=Apesy

Edited by - Apesy on 03/02/2012 22:42:07
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  10:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
San Francisco Examiner - Tribes on the move.

...“We found it quite strange that people from Russia were really getting into our stuff,” says Lloyd, still stunned that one of his scratchy tracks made its way to Frank Black, who invited Tribes to open for his legendary Pixies quartet.

“It was such an exciting thing hearing them play ‘Debaser’ live, and also seeing that the Pixies were watching our set,” he says. “Up until then, we’d just been playing in pubs. After that, things started moving really fast.”...

Ticket collector - Pixies, Claw Boys Claw, 13 juillet 1991, Amsterdam, Edenhal.

Edited by - Carl on 03/10/2012 00:42:08
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1991 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  09:37:44  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=396417

A surfer rosa tribute show.
Didn't know the band. They're ok I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  10:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting how he's gone back to using Frank Black for this interview.

The following quote is from the interview.

quote:
Recently the Pixies spent a week in a rehearsal room in Cambridge, MA, where a guy named Charles met me for coffee and a conversation.

Hmmmmm. Real? Or just more teasing?

Middle Mojo Interview with Frank Black

Edited by - Fissile on 03/10/2012 13:39:51
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1991 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  12:23:37  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very good interview, thanx !

"Now everyone is struggling. People are downloading music and no one’s selling any records and we only make a small amount compared to what we made before. And it’s a bummer, but its kind of cool too. It’s the way it should be. Things got shaken up and it’s more real. It’s like the housing bubble, the same damn deal, this big fake money bubble and it got burst and some people are going boo hoo, but as long as I’ve got money in my pocket and I’ve got a gig and I can put out a record, this is what I wanted to do."
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

953 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  12:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should think it's rehearsal time for upcoming gigs. That's a brilliant interview, the best of his I've read in a long time.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3894 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  00:30:30  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't pay for the last album he released, nor did I pay for the last gig I went to. Everything else I paid for. There are very few artists whom I can say that about. Glad he is cool about that though, I mean he isn't doing so bad still manages to tour the world and bring up a large family at the same time. If he wants to make big money though the obvious thing to do is release a Pixies album.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  03:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I didn't pay for the last album he released, nor did I pay for the last gig I went to. Everything else I paid for. There are very few artists whom I can say that about. Glad he is cool about that though, I mean he isn't doing so bad still manages to tour the world and bring up a large family at the same time. If he wants to make big money though the obvious thing to do is release a Pixies album.

The Pixies aren't selling very many CD's these day, a few thousand a year at best, but the touring has been very lucrative. According to some music rag, the 2004 tour grossed $16 million. I'm sure they have added more millions to the pile since then. Without new material, however, I can't imagine this will go on much longer.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3894 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  04:23:28  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They could tour maybe and play material other than Doolittle..
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  06:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

They could tour maybe and play material other than Doolittle..

Their catalog is limited. They may get some more tour mileage out of the other albums, but once that's over, it's over -- with the exception of a one off show here or there.

I don't see any new material. Charles seems to be the only one who wants to give it a try. Dave and Joe are less than enthusiastic, and Kim has flat out stated she won't do it. As Kim said, "There may be new Pixies, but I won't be on it."
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  08:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

Interesting how he's gone back to using Frank Black for this interview.

That might be just the interviewer or the website editor's choice rather than Frank's.

Anyway, that's a great interview.

As for writing songs about kids, I've always interpreted "Don't Cry That Way" from Fast Man Raider Man as being a new father's song.

Edited by - Jason on 03/11/2012 08:33:59
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3894 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  10:28:09  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't see any new material. Charles seems to be the only one who wants to give it a try. Dave and Joe are less than enthusiastic, and Kim has flat out stated she won't do it. As Kim said, "There may be new Pixies, but I won't be on it."

I can understand her being busy writing loads of great new breeders stuff..
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  12:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

I can understand her being busy writing loads of great new breeders stuff..

^That's some real good sarcasm right there.^

Fact is she won't do it unless the business arrangements are changed, and Charles wants to keep the same business arrangements they had back in the day. What it all means is no new music.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3894 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  13:22:48  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well Charles is the king and she is just the chick on bass with the sweet voice. Just because she doesn't want to be a millionaire shouldn't mean that millions of Pixies fans are deprived of a fifth album. I reckon they should get Kim Gordon in as her replacement now that Sonic Youth have split, or Violet on the Bass and Get Timbaland in to do some fancy sampling with Kim's voice, make it sound real like.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000