Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  08:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, this year TBS doing alot of the early round playoffs and then I guess it shifts to Fox (and the blabbering TIm McCarver).
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  09:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Yeah, this year TBS doing alot of the early round playoffs and then I guess it shifts to Fox (and the blabbering TIm McCarver).

You mean Tim "For the Seventeen Thousandth Time: A Curve Ball Breaks Downward, A Slider Breaks Sideways" McCarver?
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  12:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sort of basebally: the opening band for BF last night, Eastern Conference Champions, hail from Philly. Late in the set, between songs, the lead singer asked if anyone is into sports. No real response, so he pressed forward with something along the lines of "How 'bout those Phillies?" I called out "Eff the Phillies!" which seemed to stump him. Then I followed with "Go Nats!" He acted huffy in a funny way, saying something about ending the show, and then started in on the next song. I called out "Eff the Flyers!" for good measure...

What can I say, a DC guy razzing some Philly guys in Portland, OR. You gotta get your jollies where you can.

But seriously, F the Phillies.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  15:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm probably a bit behind you lot, but I've just watched a repeat of that Padres vs Rockies game and really enjoyed it. I'm understanding the game a bit better now.

I'm finding the standings confusing though, what's the wild-card? And do teams from the American League and National League play each other?

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  16:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Up until 1997, AL and NL teams never played each other until the World Series. Here's the lowdown on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleague_play
I am against interleague play because a) it's not what I grew up with and b) I feel it diminishes the unpredictability and novelty of the World Series.

The "wild card"... each division winner will be in the playoffs. That's six teams, three from each league. The wild card is the team (one in each league) with the best W-L record who did not win their division. That's the fourth playoff team in each league. This system was introduced in '94, when each league went from 2 divisions to 3 (the "Central" division was added and teams were realigned geographically).
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  17:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. It's still quite confusing because of the different leagues, divisions etc, but I do understand now. I just need to get more familiar with it, I'm still a newcomer.

So that game I watched earlier, that was to determine the wild card since both teams had identical win-loss records?

I'm thinking it's not such a good idea for AL and NL teams to play each other in the regular season. I would imagine, like you said, it takes away from what could be something of a novelty in the World Series, like a local rivalry.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  19:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll stick up for interleague play, for the sake of argument. (Even though I think the American League is a sham, on account of the designated hitter rule.) Interleague play has led to some great series in markets or regions where there are two teams that are in different leagues. It's created strong rivalries. It's fun to see the New York Mets (National League) play the New York Yankees (American League). It's fun to see the Chicago White Sox (AL) play the Chicago Cubs (NL). It's fun to see the Dodgers (NL) and Angels (AL). And it's fun to see the Royals and Cardinals (if only to pretend it's the 1985 World Series). But my favorite thing about interleague play is that when the games are in the National League city, they follow the NL rules, meaning there is no designated hitter.

About the designated-hitter rule:

I don't know if you noticed last night, PixieStu, but in the game you watched, the pitchers also were batters when their turn came up. In the American League, pitchers don't have to hit. There's a guy on each team who is called the designated hitter, and all he does is hit -- he doesn't have to play on defense. To me, that's a perversion of the game. Indeed, there have been some great designated hitters, who meant a lot to the game -- mostly I'm thinking of Edgar Martinez of the Mariners -- but all in all, I think it's a ridiculous rule. As a fan in a National League city, I appreciate what having pitchers hit does to the end of a game. Late in a close game, the manager doesn't want his pitcher hitting, since the pitcher is usually the weakest hitter in the game. So the manager's gotta bring in a pinch hitter. This is what makes things dramatic and makes the manager a big part of the game. (Then again, sometimes a relief pitcher will hit for himself -- think Jesse Orosco singling in Game 7 of the 1986 World Series. Now, THAT is some exciting baseball.) To let pitchers get away with not having to hit, like in the American League, is lame.

And to answer your question, Stu, yes, the Rockies-Padres game determined the wild card in the National League. Here's a breakdown of who made the playoffs:

AL East champions: Boston
AL Central champions: Cleveland
AL West champions: L.A. Angels
AL wild card: New York Yankees

NL East champions: Philadelphia
NL Central champions: Chicago
NL West champions: Arizona
NL wild card: my Colorado Rockies (woohoo)

The Rockies and Padres were each 89-73 during the regular season. They each had the best record of the National League teams that didn't win their divisions.

Oh, and go Rox.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  19:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All you need to know pixiestu: the National League sucks. They've lost the last 10 All Star games (ignoring a tie) and regularly lose the majority of inter-league games. And watching a pitcher feebly swing at a pitch or sacrifice bunt isn't very exciting. The championship will be decided in AL championship game.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  20:42:25  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

All you need to know pixiestu: the National League sucks. They've lost the last 10 All Star games (ignoring a tie) and regularly lose the majority of inter-league games. And watching a pitcher feebly swing at a pitch or sacrifice bunt isn't very exciting. The championship will be decided in AL championship game.

This the truth. And another good reason for ending interleague play. We just don't care very much about the National League teams. I didn't get into baseball till the late 90's, so the designated hitter thing doesn't bother me much. I agree I'd rather see a great hitter than a pitcher hitting. For the most part, DH's are older players that can't play in the field on a day-to-day basis anymore, so it gives the fans a chance to see a great player stick around for a few more years. I can see the strategy argument, but I think it's also pretty/more exciting to see how a pitcher handles a lineup the possibly doesn't have any easy outs in it.

As for the local rivalries, usually the last series of Spring Training is between the local rivalries in their home ball parks, so you get to see the local teams play, but it doesn't affect standings.

My argument against Interleague is that the teams you play rotate every year, so it's entirely possible for one team to get a more favorable schedule than another. That, and I don't really care to watch many NL teams.

Qu'ils aillent se faire foutre <-- yeah, what he said.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  20:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The championship will be decided in AL championship game.

This is the sort of divisive comment that inevitably leads me to foolishly wagering money against the person who said it. Let's put something on this, darwin. I say the senior circuit will take the Series this year, despite the home-field advantage going to your boys yet again -- based on a stupid rule relating to the outcome of the All-Star Game. Let's put a copy of FB's "Oddballs" on it. Either the Diamondbacks, Phillies, Cubs or Rockies will beat either the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians or Angels. (Laying it out like that, I already feel like a fool. But I gotta stick by my convictions.)

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  21:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm tempted, but the possibility that I would have to root for the Yankees is too much to risk. If that happened, the world might come to an end.

Maybe we could structure it some other way, or wager it if the Yankees get knocked out in the first round.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  21:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'd be just as hard for me to root for the Diamondbacks as it would be for your to root for the Yanquis, darwin. I guess we could set up Darwin and Coastline's Escape Clause, which would allow either of us to bail out if one of those teams made it.

Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  21:27:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was a kid in Baltimore in the '70s, I thought of the NL as the "artificial turf league." Man, they had the shittiest fucking stadiums. This was when Kansas City was the only AL team with a rug (but at least they had fountains to atone for it). Pittsburgh, Cincy, Philly, Montreal, Houston...even Candlestick had astroturf back then.

As far as the DH goes, I appreciate both systems. It even adds spice to baseball discussions (e.g. "Nolan Ryan's 383 K's in '73 were all the more impressive without any automatic outs in the 9-hole.").
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  21:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You want spice? How about a pitcher having to bat an inning after he's thrown at a batter's head? I think that's one of the big reasons I want pitchers to have to bat: to keep them in check when they get a little out of line with the inside pitches.

Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  23:16:42  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

You want spice? How about a pitcher having to bat an inning after he's thrown at a batter's head? I think that's one of the big reasons I want pitchers to have to bat: to keep them in check when they get a little out of line with the inside pitches.

Yeah, that really worked out when someone FINALLY had a fucking chance to throw at the fucking Cock-et. I mean Rocket. I mean fucking Roger Clemens. I want to throw a ball at the pitcher's head who fucking missed him!

I hate Roger Clemens, by the way.

Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  23:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everybody just root for Eric Byrnes! That means the D-backs. Wait, are they in the NL? I can't root for anyone in the AL this year. Boston and the Yankees can suck on it. The Angels are in my team's division. I couldn't name a player on Cleveland. Andruyew "I think someone's gonna pay me 20 million a year for five years even though I'm washed up" Jones? Is he on Cleveland?

Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  23:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's some useless trivia for you pixiestu.

During the seventh inning stretch, (in the half of the 7th inning where teams switch offense to defense), "take me out to ball game" is sung by the crowd, especially by the Chicago Cubs fans. If youtube "take me out to the ball game" I'm sure you will find many renditions. There is one funny version of a wasted Eddie Veder singing it at Wrigley Field. Here are the lyrics of the part people sing.
quote:
"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."

Don't ask coastline about the highlighted part, he is a flip-flopper.

f(x) = ex
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  23:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

Everybody just root for Eric Byrnes! That means the D-backs. Wait, are they in the NL? I can't root for anyone in the AL this year. Boston and the Yankees can suck on it. The Angels are in my team's division. I couldn't name a player on Cleveland. Andruyew "I think someone's gonna pay me 20 million a year for five years even though I'm washed up" Jones? Is he on Cleveland?

No, he's a Brave (about to be a free agent). Here's a few names of Indians for you CC Sabathia (probably will win the Cy Young), Travis Hafner, Grady Sizemore, and Victor Martinez (probably the best offensive catcher right now, well maybe that's Mauer).

Edited by - darwin on 10/03/2007 00:04:47
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  00:38:19  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah. I've heard of some of those names. I bet none of those monsters used steroids ;)

Like I'm one to talk as an A's fan. Can you say tainted 1989 World Series win?

But Hafner just seems like he was created in a lab. And I'm not buying the "pronk" nickname explanations. His cock was apparently created in a lab as well.

Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  08:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The payback system works just as well when the pitcher's teammate takes the chin music. Maybe even better.

Plus...what Jefrey said.

Who do you think you are -- Hippolyte Aucouturier?
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  09:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My predictions (with Red Sox bias)

Red Sox over Angels
Indians over Yankees (Carmona and Sabathia will tame the Yankees enough)

Red Sox over Indians

Cubs over Diamondbacks
Phillies over Rockies

Cubs over Phillies (I think Cubs have best NL starting pitching)

Red Sox over Cubs (a shocking prediction from me)
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  09:45:30  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Amen to that. The longer I'm a fan of baseball, the more I appreciate small ball. The DH position was designed to attract Joe Blow to the game (as was interleague play). It reduces the learning curve for getting into baseball by having more runs and homeruns. Americans aren't known for their subtlety...

I think the DH position is precisely why the American League has been so dominant (outside of losing the WS last year). On top of AL teams carrying an extra big bat it also causes AL pitchers to up their game. Not only do they have a good hitter to pitch to instead of the pitcher, but they also don't have the option of walking the 8 batter to get to the "easy out" pitcher. AL pitchers also throw more innings because they never get yanked prematurely because their turn to bat came up at a crucial time. Hell, just having to pitch to the Yankee line-up several times a year is going to toughen you up.

I've been a huge Red Sox fan since the end of '02. I lived in Boston until a month ago when I moved to Seattle. I was there in '03 when the town got punched in the nuts and in '04 when everything changed. I'm hoping my rabid obsession with the Sox dies down to a manageable level now that I'm on the west coast because watching the game nearly every day is a huge time sink.

I'm loving the fact that I can catch the playoff game at 3:30PM tonight.

I really can't predict this year. All the teams are so close.

Will I ever reach 1000?

For more information on rock, visit www.timfranklin.net
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  09:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(with Angels bias)

Angels over Red Sox
Yankees over Indians

Angels over Yankees

D-Backs over Cubs
Phillies over Rockies

D-Backs over Phillies

Angels over D-Backs
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  10:38:14  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ESPN has some interesting predictions. They're pretty scattered also.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007/news/story?id=3046363

Will I ever reach 1000?

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  10:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter Gammons and Sean McAdam stole my predictions. Nobody picked the Diamondbacks or the Phillies to win it all.
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  11:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sox over Angels
Yankees over Over Indian

Yankees over Sox

Cubs over Diamondbacks
Rockies over Phillies

Cubs over Rockies

Yankees over Cubs

(ps, I hate the Yankees)

f(x) = ex
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  11:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the over/under on A-Crud's playoff batting average? I'll take .145.

Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  11:53:05  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Angels over Sox
Indians over Yanks

Indians AL champs

D'Backs over Cubs
Phillies over Rockies

Phillies NL champs

Indians WS champs

Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  14:12:05  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Atheist4Catholics

quote:

Amen to that. The longer I'm a fan of baseball, the more I appreciate small ball. The DH position was designed to attract Joe Blow to the game (as was interleague play). It reduces the learning curve for getting into baseball by having more runs and homeruns. Americans aren't known for their subtlety...

I think the DH position is precisely why the American League has been so dominant (outside of losing the WS last year). On top of AL teams carrying an extra big bat it also causes AL pitchers to up their game. Not only do they have a good hitter to pitch to instead of the pitcher, but they also don't have the option of walking the 8 batter to get to the "easy out" pitcher. AL pitchers also throw more innings because they never get yanked prematurely because their turn to bat came up at a crucial time. Hell, just having to pitch to the Yankee line-up several times a year is going to toughen you up.

I've been a huge Red Sox fan since the end of '02. I lived in Boston until a month ago when I moved to Seattle. I was there in '03 when the town got punched in the nuts and in '04 when everything changed. I'm hoping my rabid obsession with the Sox dies down to a manageable level now that I'm on the west coast because watching the game nearly every day is a huge time sink.

I'm loving the fact that I can catch the playoff game at 3:30PM tonight.

I really can't predict this year. All the teams are so close.

Will I ever reach 1000?

I appreciate small ball. The Angels play a lot of small ball, and it's great with the right players. In NL, just about every team does it and it feels more like a video game or something to me. There's a lot more managing "by the book" in the NL it seems, which bores the crap out of me.

I don't think the AL is dumbed down all that much. The pitching vs hitting matchups are just as interesting as the NL small ball stuff. Pitching is a lot more intense and you see more strategy with it in the AL because when there's no easy outs you need to work more walks and try to set up double plays more often. Defense is more exciting in the AL, IMO. Well, except for Eric Byrnes, but he came from the AL :)

Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  14:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO AL vs. NL "style" used to be more apparent in the '70s and '80s when the AL home plate umps wore those huge chest protectors (which were allegedly responsible for the higher AL strike zone). Now that all umps wear the same gear, and even work both leagues, it seems to me that the differences are less. When I think about a team like the '80s Cardinals, who were completely built around speed, I don't see teams nowadays who are so centered around "small ball." Or maybe I'm just a bit out of touch.

Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  22:15:13  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go Byrnsie! Even though he went 0-4.

Talk about not knowing any players on a team! Who the hell are these guys? I've never heard of a one of them except Eric Byrnes, and only because he used to be an Athletic.

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  03:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have an unhealthy obsession with Eric Byrnes, Jefrey. You should seek help.

Actually, when he played in Colorado for a couple weeks in 2005, fans here were obsessed with him, like some sort of cult figure. He'd sprint out to right field at the top of each inning and the crowd would roar. I never understood it. He's not that great.

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  00:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The playoffs are off to a very nice start. This afternoon I was debating with myself whether I wanted the Yanks to lose in the first round or have the chance for the Red Sox to knock them out in the 2nd round, but when they're on TV it's just too much fun to root against them (and to see them get pummeled).
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  01:06:50  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You have an unhealthy obsession with Eric Byrnes, Jefrey. You should seek help.

Actually, when he played in Colorado for a couple weeks in 2005, fans here were obsessed with him, like some sort of cult figure. He'd sprint out to right field at the top of each inning and the crowd would roar. I never understood it. He's not that great.

No, he's not - but that guy really like to play. Fans like to see a guy launch himself completely unnecessarily through the air to catch a ball and fly into a wall at full speed.

Of course one day he's going to seperate his shoulder or something and then he won't be able to play like that anymore, but it's funny to watch while it lasts.

He took the D-Backs under his wing this season and basically led them to the playoffs and made a name for himself as a leader.

I'm not obsessed, but I wish he was still back in Oakland doing his thing, so I wish him the best wherever he is. He calls in to the local sports radio shows all the time and is hilarious as a person as well.

Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  13:29:45  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The playoffs are off to a very nice start. This afternoon I was debating with myself whether I wanted the Yanks to lose in the first round or have the chance for the Red Sox to knock them out in the 2nd round, but when they're on TV it's just too much fun to root against them (and to see them get pummeled).

Man, I can't take another Yankee-Sox ALCS. I want them out now. I want the Indians and Red Sox in a nice clean ALCS without all the baggage and BS about their history, without having to see Aaron Boone's homerun and Pedro throwing Zimmer down over and over and over, and with games that clock in under 4 hours. My fingernails are as short as they can get and there are only so many bags of Tings one man can consume to sate his nervous oral fixation.

Looks like the Cubs and Phillies are done.

Will I ever reach 1000?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000