Tomb Raider
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  03:29:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Who's a fan then?

I kinda lost interest in the game since TR4 but I've always liked the character, and not so much the film characters but the original character in the games. I like the exploration/puzzle solving element of the gameplay as opposed to the wiping out all endangered species you come across.

It's changed a lot over the years and I've not been so much of a fan of more recent releases in particular the PSP games which were total rubbish. I preferred also the 3D platform element of the original games and also the controls.

Anyway the latest game is being released this autumn, and the graphics look stunning! Reminds me of Kate from the TV series Lost, whose character I suppose was probably inspired a bit by the original much less pixelated Lara Croft.

Watched this on my new sony vaio that I picked up off the shelf in comet a few days ago for the ex display price of £475! Looks amazing in 1080p!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN7_8Yholm4

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  10:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I played the first few games for the Playstation but they couldn't really hold my attention. I don't think I finished any of them.

About a year or so ago I picked up Tomb Raider: Underwold cheap for the PS3 and loved it. First and only Tomb Raider game I copleted.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  04:28:40  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I liked the early ones because of the gameplay and the atmosphere of exploration it created. The ones nowadays have lost that element that made it so special, and I've spent many hours arguing with nu skool players that the modern control systems are shite and they should never have changed it. Few seem to agree with me though.

I just played the demo of Underworld and the graphics are really stunning, but I'm afraid the game didn't hold my attention long enough and I got frustrated with the controls. People used to complain that the old controls were too awkward but you got used to them if you knew how to use them, the flip and roll to face the other way and pan round functions worked really well for me, but they changed it all and I don't really feel that it improved things or solved any of the supposed problems. I used to leap from block to block and wall to wall with relative ease, it was fun and addictive which is the most important part of the game I think, but now I have real difficulty in that and I find myself having to repeat the same obstacle course over and over until I feel like smashing my computer. Getting her to face in the right direction for even attempting some of the moves is the main problem, with the old controls it was relatively easy to align her in the right position for jumps etc, but now it's all over the place, she just doesn't move in the direction I want her to. Forward is the direction the camera is looking, not the direction she is facing. Completely counter intuitive.

Edited by - pot on 03/04/2012 05:43:08
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  13:32:28  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I played the original on PC, it was good. I played Indiana Jones after and it, too, was good but I barely finished it. I grew bored of that type of gameplay as I have with FPS.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  13:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I would enjoy the first games more now I'm older, I was only young when they came out and more into FIFA and Die Hard Trilogy (what a game, by the way!). I really struggle to get past the blocky graphics when I go back to play on some older games now though. I do have the original game somewhere, maybe it's time to dig it out along with the PS1.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  18:13:14  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking back on the old games now I find the graphics a bit lacking, but in the day they were the tits. They need to get back the feeling of being on the edge of the blocks, these days it's too much like you are pressing the buttons and letting the game make the move, like you don't know if you have timed it right, which takes all the fun out of it IMO

The original company that made the games sold it and they fucked it up. If they have stuck to the original gameplay i think it would be a lot bigger now, but as it stands any new release get sold on the basis that the graphics look even more detailed.

I remember playing the first game and wondering what to do next and then realising that you can move blocks revealing new rooms. It was fun and exciting in those days, now though you are pretty much told what to do next. And I find it weird that Lara can leap from places to place, on top of pillar and atuff but she can't climb a 5 ft 45% slope. total bollocks
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  19:09:43  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, gaming (like most things designed to be consumed by the masses) has been transformed to remove challenges to the lowest of the intellects. Good games still exist out there, the same way that good music does, but it is the exception now and not the rule.

I still like to go back and play the old adventure games. Day of the Tentacle or Full Throttle (which are newer 'old' adventure games) are next on the list.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  08:30:49  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh I don't know if music applies to that theory, seems like a handful of 'alternative' commercial bands filling the shelves at HMV and taking all the awards, meanwhile if you take the time to look there is a whole universe of interesting real new music out there that would take you several lifetimes to listen to it all.

I just recently acquired a copy of Dragon's Lair for my iPod touch. Back in the day that was the dog's nut and I dreamed of having a 6 foot console in my room that I could play whenever I want. I used to occasionally put 20p in and play it for about 30 seconds, back in those days you had to spend a lot of money to learn how to play these games in the first place so you didn't lose your money in the first minute of play.

Nowadays graphics have more than surpassed that and having a computer game with cartoon like graphics where you can control the characters is no longer a novetly, and I've now got a copy of the game that I can fit in my pocket and play anywhere I feel like it, which I don't. I just bought it for the novetly, it probably cost less than I actually paid to play the game back in the 80s.

Think I'm going to give half life 2 a go once I've played all the free demos on Steam, hear nothing but good things about that game.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  11:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just played the first Tomb Raider for a bit and quite enjoyed it. The controls felt a bit rigid at first but I got the hang of it again. I didn't play it for ages but it seemed a bit bare. I shot a few bats, killed a few dogs and pulled a few levers. It was nice to take a trip down memory lane though. I'll probably play it some more and hopefully get to the point of doing some actual puzzle solving.

On a gaming related side note I was devastated to find that my 100% save file of GTA: San Andreas had been deleted by somebody. A tragic loss. I will get through this difficult period though, in time...

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  14:17:19  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

On a gaming related side note I was devastated to find that my 100% save file of GTA: San Andreas had been deleted by somebody. A tragic loss. I will get through this difficult period though, in time...

"The arc of triumph"

I had to pawn my psp recently to buy a new monitor because my macbook screen went dead, accidentally gave the memory card away with all my Metal Gear Ac!d 1 and 2 saves on it :-(

Just started playing Bioshock now which was on sale for £3.50 on Steam at the weekend :-D
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  10:34:21  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just bought Underworld for £4.99 on Steam last weekend, tell you what actually it's not a bad game. With a bit of tweeking I can just about get over the new controls. I'm playing it on 'casual explorer' mode, so there aren't many random species attacking you all the time and then you have to go through a boring shoot em up sequence several times until you kill them, leaving just the exploration and puzzle solving. It's got a good feel to it like the original games, the graphics are really nice and the music is atmospheric, puzzles are also quite taxing. Yes I think they done all right with this game, first decent Tomb Raider I've played since III.

I keep getting stuck, you think the thing you have to do to progress through to the next level is petty straightforward and then it's not... sneaky bastards. I like getting stuck in Tomb Raider, but not like when I bought Anniversary for the PSP and then decided to play it on the hardest level then got stuck at some boring combat scene, and I didn't have enough ammo or health packs to get through it, so I got bored and stopped playing. Of they'd kept the gameplay like it was originally at least for the PSP it would have worked a lot better.

And Lara's ass look well peachy as well, I nearly had to crack one off yesterday while playing it.

Edited by - pot on 03/30/2012 23:57:24
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  08:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this your blog, pot?

http://videogamebuttshots.blogspot.co.uk/2007/11/tomb-raider-lara-croft-buttshots.html

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  11:56:40  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No I'm more of a fuzzy fadge man myself.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  18:18:42  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hahahahahaha, that is a nice find pixiestu. I don't know HOW you have that site in your repetoire but wow...

Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  02:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was curious after pot's post so did a google search for Lara's butt, et voila!

Bookmarked.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000