Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  13:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(I can't believe this forum doesn't already have a general baseball thread.)

If the Mets continue their collapse and don't make the playoffs, and the Yankees overtake the Red Sox for the division title, I'm going to be awfully pissed. Brian, is it going to happen?

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  13:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well there was this: http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10262&SearchTerms=baseball

The Red Sox seem to be doing the big fold, but the good news is they'll get the wild card if the Yankees catch them (the bad news: the Yankees are going to make the playoffs).

The NL is almost too complicated to follow, but the Dodgers seem to be now out of the mix.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  13:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Todd Helton pretty much put the nail in the Dodgers' coffin last night. As far as baseball in Denver goes (which is 10 percent farther than at sea level, ba-dum-ching), his walkoff homer last night was one of the great moments we've had here.

And yeah, I've read the 2004 ALCS thread, but it seemed to be about just that series -- which was, well, a not-too-bad series.

Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  17:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no offense but i'm pretty sure baseball is the worst sport ever.

"How do you like that, Sir Harold?"
Go to Top of Page

awestruck
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  17:32:12  Show Profile  Visit awestruck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't keep up with baseball. The Braves is about all I watch, but I don't keep up with stats or anything.

I went to my first ever pro baseball game on Sept. 1, 2007.
I liked it so well and went back on Sept. 2.

It was the Braves vs. the Mets.

Mets won both games, but I still had fun.

It's not you I don't like
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  18:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr.biscuitdoughhead

No offense, but I'm pretty sure you're a fool.

Go to Top of Page

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  18:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I moved to St Pete Florida approx 2 years ago and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays play within blocks of where I live.

Now ain't that a kick in the head?? Is that a drag or what!! The Devil Rays!! I mean - downtown St Pete is really cool and it's great living right downtown and so close to the stadium. It's sort of tantalizing - it would be really great if it was a good team. It's the Devil Rays!! When I first got here and was reading the sports pages about the Rays - man, it was depressing.

Winning cures everything - if they could just get some wins then I'm sure it'd really take off around here. But as it is - the biggest crowds only come out to cheer on the Yankees and Red Sox when they come to play and that is just depressing.

BUT - it can change!! Stranger things have happened. I'm trying to get in the spirit. I bought the ballcap. I follow them in the paper. I mean - when a major league team is playing mere blocks from your house - like it or not - that's your team!!

But I spent the 36 years before this move in Houston so I'll always be an Astros fan.

That's a double whammy this year - I've got the Stros and the Rays as my two teams this year. And the Yankees are going to make the playoffs with Clemens and Pettite. This has been a bad year.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  18:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What Michigan boy doesn't sing the praises of Jack Morris or Kirk Gibson? Come on!

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  18:53:04  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

(I can't believe this forum doesn't already have a general baseball thread.)

If the Mets continue their collapse and don't make the playoffs, and the Yankees overtake the Red Sox for the division title, I'm going to be awfully pissed. Brian, is it going to happen?

Yankees will be the wildcard team. Mets will win their division. Mets should've had it sown up by now, but Willie "Worst Manager in the NL East" Randolph is a fucking idiot. Yankees won't catch the Sox in the East - in the playoffs, thats a different story...

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  20:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dodgers are out. Therefore, baseball is over for the year.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OFFICIAL INTERNET TOUGH GUY
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  21:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodJablome

Dodgers are out. Therefore, baseball is over for the year.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OFFICIAL INTERNET TOUGH GUY

But as a Dodgers fan, you've always got this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eDZWWKFSAaA.

Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  21:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the D Back don't make it, I ain't watching. Well maybe if the Brew Crew sneak in. It's all about Eric Byrnes.

It sucks being an A's fan this year. Kind of got used to being the Braves of the AL (always in it, never win it).

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  00:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No matter what he does, I'll always remember Eric Byrnes for in playoffs versus the Red Sox not touching home plate, then shoving Jason Varitek on his way back to the dugout, and then getting tagged out by Varitek. A sweet boneheaded play.

Go Sox (win a fucking game)!
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  08:58:33  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't follow it as fanatically since the Expos left, but baseball is still my favourite sport. I follow Oakland (being a fan) and the Jays (being Canadian) most closely but they were both kinda poo this year.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  10:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like baseball on the Wii. That's fun.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  10:59:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've started watching little bits of baseball games I see on the TV, I'm not too sure on all the rules and stuff though. I'll watch near enough any sport if it's on.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  11:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

I've started watching little bits of baseball games I see on the TV, I'm not too sure on all the rules and stuff though. I'll watch near enough any sport if it's on.

"The arc of triumph"

You don't need to know all the rules right away. Just remember this line from the movie Bull Durham: "It's a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball."

Edited by - coastline on 09/20/2007 11:35:20
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  12:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

What Michigan boy doesn't sing the praises of Jack Morris or Kirk Gibson? Come on!

how do you know where i live? also i have no idea who those people are and i don't intend on finding out.

Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  06:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

You don't need to know all the rules right away. Just remember this line from the movie Bull Durham: "It's a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball."

Yeah I suppose it's simple enough, I guess it's just the intricacies of the game that anyone not brought up watching it might not get straight away.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  10:56:37  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What, like Cricket?.....

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  11:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next question: The top candidates for NL MVP are Prince Fielder (above), Matt Holliday, and David Wright. If the Brewers, Rockies, and Mets all fail to make the playoffs, will any of them really deserve the award? I'm really pulling for Holliday, but I don't think my Rox can catch the Padres, so he's out. I really wonder how the voters will choose the MVP this year. There isn't an easy answer in this race.

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  11:27:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think Rockies hitters should be eligible for MVP or ROY, so I would give it to Hanley Ramirez. But, I suspect David Wright will get it if they Mets survive.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  11:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

I don't think Rockies hitters should be eligible for MVP or ROY

Now you're just trying to get me riled up, darwin! (But I admit, I was fishing for just this conversation anyway.) The ball doesn't fly like it used to at Coors Field. The humidor has leveled the playing field.

But for the sake of argument, let's say the ballpark does give hitters an unfair advantage. And let's even say Rockies hitters should be DQ'd from the MVP race. (Bullshit, but let's say it anyway.) Should Rockies pitchers be given a handicap? Jake Peavy's Triple Crown notwithstanding, Colorado's Jeff Francis has pitched a hell of a season. But his ERA is over 4.00, so he'll be totally passed over for the Cy Young voting.

Tulowitzki for rookie of the year! (If only for turning an unassisted triple play AND hitting a triple in the same game this year.)

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  12:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't they remove the humidor at the start of this season? So far this year, Coors is still the 2nd easiest stadium to hit a homer behind Cincinnati (according to ESPN http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor).

I think it would be valid to argue that Peavy benefits from pitching in the most pitcher friendly park in MLB.
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  23:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have 4 excellent tickets to the Rangers game Saturday night. They suck but I still love going, especially since my son is getting into baseball a bit. These seats are great...six rows behind home plate.

Nothing like October baseball. The immensity of every pitch. Plus playoff baseball looks really good to me on nice big screen tv's. Kind of a narcotic to me.

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  11:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Superabounder

Have 4 excellent tickets to the Rangers game Saturday night.

Nothing like October baseball. The immensity of every pitch.

Too bad you'll get no inkling of this seeing the Orioles play the Rangers.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  19:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Didn't they remove the humidor at the start of this season?
Nope.

Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  19:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you can get sushi at the ballpark.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  19:39:59  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

No matter what he does, I'll always remember Eric Byrnes for in playoffs versus the Red Sox not touching home plate, then shoving Jason Varitek on his way back to the dugout, and then getting tagged out by Varitek. A sweet boneheaded play.

Go Sox (win a fucking game)!

Yeah, a bonehead, but an entertaining one! I'd rather have Byrnes shoving Varitek than Jeremy Giambi not sliding. I don't think it was Byrnes that lost us that series. Fucking Giambi.

Qu'ils aillent se faire foutre <-- yeah, what he said.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  01:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Red Sox clinched a playoff spot. That takes some pressure off. Now just hold off the Yanks.
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  14:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cub's are now 3.5 up on the Brewers. Even though it's by far the worst division in Baseball, I'm pretty fired up. I don't know if a "mediocre" team can win it two years in a row, but it'll be interesting nonetheless. I'm almost 30 and they've been in the playoffs only 4 times in my lifetime. I almost tried to get divisional playoff tickets this morning but didn't pull the trigger. Maybe if they get into the NLCS I will. Wrigley is already electric, with a standing ovation with two outs and two strikes in the first inning today. Now if the Bears can win tonight, It'll be a great Sunday.

They're some good races all over baseball this year.

Maybe I should go to the drunk thread...

-Tom

...there is a hole for every soul...
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  18:20:29  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Mets are giving me a heartattack. I seriously was listening to the game at work today and my heart was beating through my chest. Their bullpen is oh so fucking terrible. But the drama!

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

treetime
- FB Fan -

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cubs fan, baseball fan in genearal, tired of how much money they make though.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
martha's promise and treetime, neither of you is Steve Bartman, right?

Go to Top of Page

treetime
- FB Fan -

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not, Steve. I feel for him though.
Go to Top of Page

treetime
- FB Fan -

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to one Cubs game in '99. The year Sosa and Mcgwire broke Maris' record.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000