Baseball ALCS (so sleepy...)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  06:24:26  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can't sleep, Yankees will get me...

The rest of the world might not care, but here on the north east coast of the US, all that matters right now is the Red Sox and Yankees series. Forget the poor, forget the hungry, forget the election, it's all about baseball. These last few games have been unbelievably exciting and long. 15+ hours for three games in three days? The concession sales must be through the roof.

People in NYC might not consider this a rivalry because they always win, but in Boston, it's all consuming. I've never been in a town so obsessed with the ups and downs of a single team. New York, Chicago, LA, and San Francisco all have two teams to root for, but Boston, and all of New England for that matter, belong to the Red Sox. I was never much of a baseball fan before I moved here, but it's impossible to not get swept up in it. I can't not hate the Yankees now. They represent everything evil to me with their asshole owner, their near 200 million dollar budget, militaristic haircuts, and leagues of fair weather fans who don't know what real faith and devotion in a team is. Rooting for Goliath is easy, but I've never understood how it can be very rewarding. Without Boston, the Yankees would have no excitement at all.

That said, forcing a game seven after being down 0-3 is a feat none of us realistically expected. Curt Shilling pitching seven innings of one run ball with a sutured ankle is one of the greatest baseball stories of all time. Tonight's game seven is going to be amazing regardless of the outcome. Both teams are exausted and depleted and will probably use every pitcher they have before it's over. Its going to be one second guessed coaching move after another...

Anyone else losing sleep over this?

For more information on rock, visit www.timfranklin.net

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  07:12:52  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
YES

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  07:41:17  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Forgive me, but who played in the NLCS?

Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  07:46:20  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage  Reply with Quote
St. Louis and Houston I believe, but at this point I think I can safely say that no one cares. Everything is about the American League right now, oh yeah, and baseball bats fear Johnny Damon.

"Hey fuck you if you don't like it."
-Johnny Thunders

www.transposed.net
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  08:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I honestly believe that if Boston wins tonight, John Kerry will be President. People will associate Massachuetts with winners. I'm a Mets fan. I cannot stand the Yankees. Go Sox and go Kerry!
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  09:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've given the past week of my life to this Red Sox / Yankees series. What a set of games!! I'll be on my couch tonight probably clutching a pillow and maybe hiding under a blanket. It's just too good.

Go Sox!!!
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  10:55:31  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Red Sox > Yankees

I really, really hope they win. Damn Yankees!

Shall be a nail-biter tonight as everyone's said.

"Freedom is a state of mind and the condition and position of your ass. Free your mind and your ass will follow." - Funkadelic
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  11:50:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh rounders,the highlight of primary school PE.I used to always try and hit the ball over the big wall so we had a break while someone went to get it.(Cheap school,needed all the balls we could get)

Shemales have rights too...
Go to Top of Page

LBF1976
= Cult of Ray =

269 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  13:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've watched every game. My 63 year old dad is a die-hard Red Sox fan, so it has been instilled in me since I was a kid to love the Red Sox and Hate the Yankees, and I do.

I just want the sox to win for my dad, he's getting old, and I think just the Red Sox beating the Yankees for the Penant would make him very happy, never having been done before.

And if the win the World Series, his life will be complete.

My prediction for tonight

Red Sox Win 9-5

Floops quesedillas zijn te vergelijken met het likken van fatsige Albert's aars nadat hij een fles laxeermiddel heeft leeggedronken.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  17:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please please please.

I would take 9-5, something not too close. I can't take another game with the Yankees having the winning run at the plate in the 9th.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  17:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm a big mets fan myself, but right now i'm rooting for the sox. i HATE HATE HATE the yankees.

as for the series, let's go cards!

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

LBF1976
= Cult of Ray =

269 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  21:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so I called it

Floops quesedillas zijn te vergelijken met het likken van fatsige Albert's aars nadat hij een fles laxeermiddel heeft leeggedronken.
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  22:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
amazin'!
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  23:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was fantastic. Derek Lowe and Johny Damon were outstanding. Bring on the Cardinals. I want a battle of real baseball towns: Boston & St. Louis.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  01:22:59  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My pussy hurts.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  09:07:49  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage  Reply with Quote

So sad...

I'm not sure if it's the lack of sleep or the greatest comeback in sports history, but I'm numb today. I don't think Red Sox fans are equipped to deal with this sort of success.

Despite declarations of the curse being reversed, I think we need to win the World Series. IF we don't, the Yankees fans will still be able to shout "1918" at us every time we're at their stadium. We have to win it all.

Unfortunately, because there is large number of college kids in Boston, every time we have a sports success, they friggin riot and make us look bad. Most of the city was fine, but in Allston where most of the college morons are located, they had to send in the cops in riot gear to disburse the crowd and beat them with clubs. The local news was running footage of two girls beating each other up. The anchor said "Let's listen!" and they just showed them going at it with full sound for a solid minute. Ridiculous.

For me and my friends who watched game 7 last year and can still remember that punch in the gut, this is a nice sigh of relief.

So scary...

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  09:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no curse. Dan Shaughnessy made it up to sell some books.

I'm still looking for a photo of Rudy Guilliani during or after game, preferably with a tear in his eye.
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  09:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

That was fantastic. Derek Lowe and Johny Damon were outstanding. Bring on the Cardinals. I want a battle of real baseball towns: Boston & St. Louis.

hey, we agree!
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  11:30:16  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, maybe a picture Rudy Guiliani and Billy Crystal sobbing and hugging each other while Stephen King laughs at them.

Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  11:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hate the Yankees and the Red Sox. I hate the Cardinals and Astros too. So, go Red Sox.

Sincerely,
Bitter Minnesota Twins Fan

1. I am a fsh with no i's.
2. You must be wearing Zubaz, 'cause you're daring to be different.
3. I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  11:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Calistanian, At least only feel good about having the best young pitcher in the MLB. They better lock Santana up with a long-term contract. I like the Twins, but hate watching any game in a dome.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  11:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you darwin.

Yes...domes suck...but hey, when I drive 5 hours to go to a game, I don't want to be rained out. A retractable roof would be good though...

Yes, Santana is fantastic, but it does no good when they take him out of Game 4 of the LDS in the 5th inning....

The Twins are fun to like, aren't they? They're such a fun-loving group of guys. Much more fun to like than the stupid Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, or Cardinals. Stupid teams.

Sincerely,
Even More Bitter Minnesota Twins Fan

3. I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  12:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Gardenhire is an idiot. How about leaving Nathan out for 3 innings?

I don't think the Twins are any more fun loving than the Red Sox. Millar, Ortiz, Damon, Cabrera, Ramirez, Pedro all look like they're having fun. Mientkavich (sp?) is a nice defensive replacement for the Sox but probably won't play in the World Series with Ortiz playing first at NL Parks and Millar playing at Boston.

I love my Sox! A year ago my wife told I was saying "Pedro!" in my sleep.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  12:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, those Bo Sox are fun-loving...but 28.6% of the ones you mentioned are former Twins.

Arghhhh....leaving Nathan out for 3 innings? Not taking him out after he threw 8 straight balls? Leaving him in to face A-Rod on top of all that? Starting Jason Kubel at DH in game 2? Not starting Lew Ford, the teams best hitter?

Gardy, Gardy, Gardy...

Hope you're proud of yourself, darwin. You've opened up some old wounds here. :)

Edited by - The Calistanian on 10/21/2004 12:10:05
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  12:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what sports is about: hurting the other guy. How about that Ortiz? Big Papi can hit and he might have the best beard in baseball.

Lew Ford: former Red Sox.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  12:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is the beauty of sports. Good to see Ortiz doing well.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000