New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

- FB Fan -

49 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  10:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does he say in Captain P when he says Captain Pasty please report to the - somewhere - for a very important assignment.
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  10:28:59  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To the tarmac. This is the airport runway. IIRC, this is the second time this word appears in a FB song.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  10:31:22  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yep -- big red: Don’t know how this whole thing started
There was a cloud and then it parted
Don’t know if I’ll ever go back
That’s how I felt when I left that tarmac
Here I am in my bucket today
In the middle
Here I am in my bucket today
In the middle

awesome.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  10:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A buddy of mine used to work with this numbskull who always called it the "tar mat." Kinda funny.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

- FB Fan -

49 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  10:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for making that clear.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  13:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kirk

quote:
Originally posted by benji
danBASS

I also want to know who this guy is. IMO, it's the most intriguing bass playing since the Pixies.

Inspired by Steve Hanley of The Fall, sounds like it to me.

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  14:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

Inspired by me.

== jeffamerica ==

Are you Steve Hanley? Or you inspired FB or you inspired The Fall?

We've got to be talking more about The Fall if we want to talk about Bluefinger. That's clear from the sound.

Edited by - trobrianders on 04/20/2007 16:05:58
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  18:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

A buddy of mine used to work with this numbskull who always called it the "tar mat." Kinda funny.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.

I hope he wasn't in charge of flying the planes.

And you?
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  23:11:37  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:

Inspired by me.

== jeffamerica ==

Are you Steve Hanley? Or you inspired FB or you inspired The Fall?

We've got to be talking more about The Fall if we want to talk about Bluefinger. That's clear from the sound.

Well, I'm not Steve Hanley, but I'm only half kidding. The bass sound, playing style, and the way it's mixed sounds almost exactly like my bass sound and playing for an old band of mine, The Concubines. It may coincidence, or subconscious, or I may be just full of crap. It's not an ego thing or anything, just something several people mentioned to me unsolicited, and the first time I heard the record, I thought it could be me playing on there, and especially noticeable is how high the bass sits in the mix.

My old guitarist worked for a local promotion company and hung with FB backstage several times and slipped him a copy of our album. Of course we assumed it went immediately in the trash like all the other shit people hand him, but who knows? Maybe he listened to it and part of the sound stuck. It's a cool bass sound though, no?

Here's what I think it is:

Fender P-Bass (or P-Bass Deluxe as I used, because it had active pickups which give you a bit more"snarl")
DR "Hi-Beams" for strings. Heavy on the E and A, Medium on the D and G
Joe Meek Studio Channel pre-amp for recording.
Sometimes also mixed with a little miked amp, also a Fender Bass amp.

== jeffamerica ==

Edited by - Jefrey on 04/22/2007 01:34:31
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  03:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please check out Steve Hanley's sound on songs like Tempo House before uttering another word in this vein. BTW his sound dates back to early 80s. Then again I hope you're half right at least. Very cool if your sound has actually crept in there.

Edited by - trobrianders on 04/21/2007 04:38:40
Go to Top of Page

crippe
- FB Fan -

Sweden
64 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  06:12:02  Show Profile  Visit crippe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I LOVE the bass on Bluefinger, I'm also thinking it might be active pickups maybe a Musicman Stingray...?
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  21:57:16  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On a different note: I've been waiting for time and my ears to prove me wrong, but after listening to this album at least 50 times from start to finish, I'm prepared to call it better than TOTY. Best FB album ever IMO. It keeps getting better every time I hear it.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  01:36:09  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crippe

I LOVE the bass on Bluefinger, I'm also thinking it might be active pickups maybe a Musicman Stingray...?

Pretty sure it's a Fender.

For the record, Steve Hanley played a P-Bass with the Fall.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  03:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

On a different note: I've been waiting for time and my ears to prove me wrong, but after listening to this album at least 50 times from start to finish, I'm prepared to call it better than TOTY. Best FB album ever IMO. It keeps getting better every time I hear it.

== jeffamerica ==

Seconded.

Just heard Eye Of The Sky so I take it all back, especially as Tight Black Rubber's my favourite off the album (but not by much). Good going Jeff.

Edited by - trobrianders on 04/22/2007 06:14:38
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  07:43:18  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

== jeffamerica ==

For my ears, the lack of greater use of textures as on DITS and TOTY will keep this admittedly great album below those in my personal pantheon of FB work. Probably SMYT, too, on a songwriting level.

But hurray for an album that's even in the conversation!
Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  08:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by langdonboomFor my ears, the lack of greater use of textures as on DITS and TOTY will keep this admittedly great album below those in my personal pantheon of FB work. Probably SMYT, too, on a songwriting level.

Agreed.

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  09:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

== jeffamerica ==

It's better than TOTY because it's new. "The latest one is always fabulous, the other ones are bullshit" (BF aproximately quoted from a Cult Of Ray era interview).
But precisely, it didnt work with The Cult Of Ray !
First Frank had to prove he was better and higher than the pixies. Job Done with the first solo album and TOTY...
Then he would have to prove that he could do even better, bigger and higher than TOTY?
Show Me Your Tears was better in another way.
So is Bluefinger.
To quote Frank aproximately again : "I agree with Beck when he says each album is a world of its own."
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  10:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bluefinger meets Beck's description better than any other FB album.

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  10:44:04  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
More and more it seems less like hyperbole to consider Frank Black/Black Francis in the same breath as a multi-phasic artist like Dylan or Bowie -- and I'll leave it to the scholars to describe the phases in great detail, but definitely Bluefinger seems like 'a brand new era' after the HC/FMRM era.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  13:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does HOLLAND TOWN on FMRM have anything to do with Herman Brood?

Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  14:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Angels, the ambulance siren sounds really cheap when it's all alone at the end. Is it a synthetiser from a sound catalog record made in the fifties ??? To make a sound that doesnt sounds real at all, better do it with an electric guitar or the voice, but not that cheap approximation.
This makes me think it's definitly NOT the final mix we had there.

About Holland Town, I thought too and somebody told me it was about Chet Baker.

Edited by - Grotesque on 04/22/2007 14:01:59
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  14:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

Does HOLLAND TOWN on FMRM have anything to do with Herman Brood?

It's about Chet Baker who in the Netherlands fell from a hotel window and died.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17966&whichpage=2
Go to Top of Page

bedrock_barney
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
871 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  14:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fuck me!!!!

I'm a month behind you lot - serves me right for my infrequent fbnet visits.

Just listened to the tracks on YouTube and I've gone all tingly inside. Pretty rare these days on the music side of things. (actually the tingling thing pretty much stopped on all fronts - must be my age. Cue ageist joke from Cheeseman - Simon how are you doing? Still talking a load of old cobblers?)

Sep 3rd seems a long way away.........

"I've rejoined the Cult of Ming / Star of favourite childhood movie of 1980"
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  14:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really?! That I did not know. Doesn't he sing "I used to see you at the Rathskeller" in that?
Go to Top of Page

backdoor
- FB Fan -

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  19:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not chet
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  22:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bad. Everything is New is partially about Chet Baker.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  00:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

quote:

== jeffamerica ==

It's better than TOTY because it's new. "The latest one is always fabulous, the other ones are bullshit" (BF aproximately quoted from a Cult Of Ray era interview).
But precisely, it didnt work with The Cult Of Ray !
First Frank had to prove he was better and higher than the pixies. Job Done with the first solo album and TOTY...
Then he would have to prove that he could do even better, bigger and higher than TOTY?
Show Me Your Tears was better in another way.
So is Bluefinger.
To quote Frank aproximately again : "I agree with Beck when he says each album is a world of its own."

Well I still think TOTY is pretty damn good :)

Bluefinger is just in my head all the time. More than any other "FB" album since Doolittle. It actually reminds me of Doolittle a bit in that it hasn't been removed from my "tape player" for the last month.

I love TOTY to death, but Bluefinger has some of his best lyrics in a decade, and it's just so deep and rich. You discover something new every time you listen to it. I didn;t even notice the fabulous layering and buildup in the second half of Threshold Apprehension till this week. Man, when the bass finally kicks in, it's just pure bliss.

I really hope this stuff gets performed live. And they must hire backup singers like in the Herman Brood video of "Can't Break A Hardened Habit (sic)".

== jeffamerica ==

Edited by - Jefrey on 04/23/2007 00:16:11
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  00:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:

== jeffamerica ==

Seconded.

Just heard Eye Of The Sky so I take it all back, especially as Tight Black Rubber's my favourite off the album (but not by much). Good going Jeff.

Hey, cool, thanks. Eye Of The Sky is probably the best thing I ever recorded, so don't listen to any of the other ones - it goes downhill from there ;)

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  00:23:31  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Test pilot blues:

Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  04:24:13  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Challenge:

How many versions of "Test Pilot Blues: The Painting" are there? I've seen about 6. It almost seems like it was his autograph. Did he not enjoy flying, or were the paintings a continual foreshadowing of his suicide?

Did he always plan to commit suicide, or was it only when he found that his rehab was a failure that he decided to check out?

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  08:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was I the only fool who, before knowing about the Herman Brood conection, thought the lyrics of the rockier songs (especialy T A ) were an self destructive catalog of rock'n'roll cliches ? Listening to those many alusions to suicide, drugs and sex, I thought Frank Black was sick of his old style and had decided to kill Black Francis in a humoristic way. Or at least to get rid of him(self).
Of course knowing the concept of the album and the personality of Herman Brood, all that doesnt make sense anymore.
But I say that because I think the press, always lazy to understand and hurry to write something violent, could have the same reaction with the single and eventualy the album.
They dont care about Herman Brood, first they will listen to the new album from the pixies guy. And there could be a big misunderstanding there.
No ?

Edited by - Grotesque on 04/23/2007 08:54:22
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  09:10:37  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fall/Black comparisons....unlikely, but happy making.
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  09:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Journalists are lazy and just do "copy and paste" that's why FB told them:

"Bluefinger: someone from Zwolle,
Netherlands � So I used a couple of Herman Brood's
painting titles for songs of my own for my new record
Bluefinger. Herman Brood, the great Dutch rocker, painter,
and famous junkie, who completed his journey in that great
rock and roll suicide when he jumped off the Amsterdam
Hilton a few years ago, was born in Zwolle."

He continues: "Up there on the hill, above the cows, Herman
Brood descended and for 54 years lived and walked among
us. I have my own impressions as to what his painting Threshold Apprehension was all about. My song
Threshold Apprehension has nothing to do with the painting except that it, and my record Bluefinger,
has everything to do with my impressions of Herman Brood."

Check out the Blue finger in the news thread.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  09:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The TPB painting is great, so vibrant!
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  09:15:20  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wondering if the target audience for bluefinger is a certain Ms Kim Deal.....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000