Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  06:15:12  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
depends on the kind of tapes you are using
because for that matter you could argue that the right time for an album is just under 30 minutes

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  14:00:11  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by langdonboom

I'm pretty sure that before CDs came out with 74 minutes to wank it was stanard to have an album be about this length, nothing surprising at all except perhaps simply its coming after FMRM which was a double album.

I agree with the 39 minute album. I almost never listen to a whole 74 minute CD. Way too long to listen to start to finish with any regularity, wheras a 39 minute or less album is perfect for just about any errand/car trip/drive to work.

I think I listened to Pavement's Wowee Zowee start to finish about once. I love individually most of the songs, but's just tedious to sit through something that long when life is so short and there's so much music.

I also liked the old "Side 1 / Side 2" concept of an album, with 4-6 songs on each side (which stems from the limitations of vinyl or course). It was really weird when older albums came out on CD and were suddenly one long thing instead of being broken up into sides. I bet some albums would have been sequenced differently if they were originally planned as one long album.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  14:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also depends on the music. Trout Mask Replica and Double Nickel On The Dime (and I could add TOTY) are very long and they're like golden mines (you can dig it again and again, not always at the same place). But Wowee Zowee and most Sonic Youth albums are just too long. On the other hand, you've got the hardcore punk mini LPs (like Buzz or Howl under the influence of heat, In Gof We Trust inc...) under 20 minutes of pure energy. Trompe Le Monde had to be two mini LP: one pop and one punk.
In the middle of all that, Bluefinger is just a perfect pop rock album.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  14:51:14  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

Also depends on the music. Trout Mask Replica and Double Nickel On The Dime (and I could add TOTY) are very long and they're like golden mines (you can dig it again and again, not always at the same place)... In the middle of all that, Bluefinger is just a perfect pop rock album.

I don't know what Double Nickel On The Dime is, but Trout Mask Replica and technically TOTY (see the LP) are double albums, and that's a whole other beast. I tend to think the perfect length for a single album is between 35 and 45 minutes. Almost every single album made until the 80's was this length. Much longer and it can't help but lose a little something. Plus, your ears actually get tired and sounds are dulled by continuous listening. A 40 minute album is over before that happens, but over an hour and your ear drums actually need a break to hear all of the frequencies in the music.

I love this part... Yeah, we did it!

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 04/16/2007 14:51:56
Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  15:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOTY is a heck of a trap to me. Sometimes I feel like listening to that one song... And whenever I listen to a song from TOTY, I just HAVE to listen to all the remaining songs, in the original order. By "remaining" I mean if I listen to the 17th song, then I have to listen to 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22. It's like an itch I really have to scratch.

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  15:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blank_Frackis(...) What's usually stated is the subplot in all of this which is that artists stand to lose some revenue, but this applies primarily to large artists and I've heard Frank say several times in interviews that downloading actually helps him more than it hurts him due to the somewhat cultish/small scale following he has. Not to mention that if artists did decide to distribute their music over the internet they could make a much larger profit than they ever could through a record company.

Sometimes I wonder if magnatune.com would be a good place for FB to sell his albums. Or maybe it's not that good because you don't really exist in musicland if you don't have palpable CDs released in the palpable market.

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  00:16:26  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also depends on the music. Trout Mask Replica and Double Nickel On The Dime (and I could add TOTY) are very long and they're like golden mines (you can dig it again and again, not always at the same place). But Wowee Zowee and most Sonic Youth albums are just too long.

I don't there are so many SY records over 45'. Daydream Nation, Dirty, Washing Machine, 1000 Leaves. But you're right in a way, I love EVOL and Sister to bits but never could listen to DDN in its entirety.
Wowee Zowee... Call me crazy but I don't think I've ever listened to the whole album. I love Crooked Rain and Brighten The Corners but never cared for WZ.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  01:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

Also depends on the music. Trout Mask Replica and Double Nickel On The Dime (and I could add TOTY) are very long and they're like golden mines (you can dig it again and again, not always at the same place). But Wowee Zowee and most Sonic Youth albums are just too long.

I don't there are so many SY records over 45'. Daydream Nation, Dirty, Washing Machine, 1000 Leaves. But you're right in a way, I love EVOL and Sister to bits but never could listen to DDN in its entirety.
Wowee Zowee... Call me crazy but I don't think I've ever listened to the whole album. I love Crooked Rain and Brighten The Corners but never cared for WZ.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."

I wouldn't call you crazy. I think "We Dance" is one of their worst songs, and it leads off the album, boring you to death. But there's a great 35-40 minutes album in there somewhere. I just don't get why bands can't self-edit.

I recorded several albums that were never going to be long. We did 12 songs and knew we were going to cut the shittiest 2 and make a tight, badass 10 song album. You can keep the crap for "bonus" releases or something, but to make a legendary album...man, it just seems like some artist can't let go and admit that some of the songs need to go in the can.

If there were any songs recorded for Bluefinger that got chopped, I almost hope they never see the light of day. The album is perfect as is.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  08:11:40  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Sonic Youth, don't you think that Can't Break A Heart... sounds like a SY song? I asked this before, but nobody cares. I'm gonna cry.
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  08:16:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Czar, I care...I wish I knew more SY songs so I could discuss that with you.

Does anyone know what's he's saying at the beginning of 'Test Pilot Blues?'
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  08:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duh. Everybody knows but you, kfs.
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  08:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey!

I've seen blue you've never seen
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  08:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, kfs, that's the beginning of "Lolita" and "Your Mouth Into Mine."

Actually, the beginning of "Captain Pasty" been debated in one or two threads, but here's my interpretation:

I'm a captain in a fire corps
I find the farm is a super bore
The world is small when I'm in the air
The universe, it don't make me scared

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  09:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

No, kfs, that's the beginning of "Lolita" and "Your Mouth Into Mine."

Haha...I didn't mean 'he says Hey' I meant Hey don't tease me!

Anyway, I'm serious. What does he say at apx 0:08 seconds into 'Test Pilot Blues?'

Oh, and coastline...I think it's flying corps.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  09:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, shit, I just did "Captain Pasty" and you were asking for "Test Pilot Blues." Please pardon me, for that my wrong.

The first few lines of TPB go:

Breathing mask, gloves and leather,
Stations of the cross
I've got no wings full of feathers,
Just my engines and a little sauce

That mumbling at the 8-second mark is "stations of the cross," as if he's maybe rehearsing his lines before he starts in earnest a few seconds later. I always like to think he's singing "stations of lacrosse," even though I know better.

Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  09:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aha! I hear it now!! Thanks!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  10:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear it now too! I was wondering what that was, I only noticed it today.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  11:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My new favorite part of this album is in "Test Pilot Blues." Between where he says "I love this part" and "Ah, we did it," there is a really cool chord progression on the bass guitar. Check out from 1:45 to 1:53.

Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  11:44:34  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Czar

Speaking of Sonic Youth, don't you think that Can't Break A Heart... sounds like a SY song? I asked this before, but nobody cares. I'm gonna cry.

The opening guitar sound/strumming DEFINITELY sounds like some SY stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  15:14:14  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah! I knew it! Thx langdonboom! ;-)

Did I already say I liked this CD? It's so COOL. I want to see it live.
Go to Top of Page

HeroJuan
- FB Fan -

37 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  16:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a video for 'Your Mouth Into Mine'. I love the new stuff to death but wish he wasn't changin the name again. My how these new chunes are a-rockin, though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VXfkeZWGH-4&mode=related&search=

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by kfs

Hey, johnnyribcage....
I was thinking about what you said (SHarts). Now, when I listen to "Your Mouth Into Mine" that makes me giggle every time! You're right, it is funny! Why'd you do that to me?

Yes, everything is working out exactly according to my plan...

I love this part... Yeah, we did it!

Go to Top of Page

HeroJuan
- FB Fan -

37 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  16:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, I must say that so far I find the Test Pilot Blues to be the catchiest for me so far. Heres a homemade video for that as well if it hasn't been posted yet

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n-l0n2pue_0&mode=related&search=

I always wanna do ya honey but I don't wanna fade away!
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  06:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a little self-advertising, eh?
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  14:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The beginning of "Test Pilot Blues" seems to have a couple bars in 5/4 time. Does anyone else hear it that way?

Go to Top of Page

stymie
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  15:11:28  Show Profile  Visit stymie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wish someone would help me out with a copy
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  15:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage
I don't know what Double Nickel On The Dime is

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Fixed the wiki with BF rather than FB, way behind the eightball on that, but...hey, anybody can do it, they don't need my permission.

One thing was pointed out to me on this recently: the way immediately after declaring "I'm all killer, no filler", he promptly launches into a fragmented, stop-start recititation of "mary had a little lamb". Must have needed something to fill up the space.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  16:57:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but then he says, "The shit was white as snow," as in the heroin. (Or at least that's how I'm remembering it right now. Don't have my iPod with me.) I love that part.

Go to Top of Page

morgan
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  17:54:33  Show Profile  Visit morgan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The beginning of "Test Pilot Blues" seems to have a couple bars in 5/4 time. Does anyone else hear it that way?

Just re-listened to it... Yup, 2 bars of 5. He's got a lot of great intros like that. Like Motorway to Roswell - just one that came to mind.
-MMS
Go to Top of Page

tworeeler
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  21:07:51  Show Profile  Visit tworeeler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finally heard this, after holding out for this long. Jeebus, what an album! So dark...the B.F. moniker is very appropriate. Test Pilot Blues rocks so effing hard, I can't begin to describe it. As does "You Can't Break A Heart..". The melodic numbers are heartbreaking (Discotheque 36, Angels Come to Comfort You, Lolita). It's so solid, so perfect (I didn't even miss the lead guitar). One of the best he's ever done. Can't wait to buy this one.
Go to Top of Page

mikaelp75
- FB Fan -

131 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  02:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know what Double Nickel On The Dime is

The Minutemen...mmm...
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  03:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just my engines and a little sauce

not salsa? or is it "sauce, I"

"I'm such a a news nerd." - Carl

Edited by - PixieSteve on 04/19/2007 03:06:50
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  03:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take 'suace' to mean 'fuel'.

Godspeed
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  04:02:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I take it to mean speed. Or heroin. Or whatever.

Go to Top of Page

tofuescape
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  05:22:48  Show Profile  Visit tofuescape's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

I take 'suace' to mean 'fuel'.

Godspeed

I would have thought that sauce was booze and snow was coke. Those are generaly used common slang terms, and we know that Brood was a coke fuled drinking machine, so I think it makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  05:32:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, think I was taking the 'pilot' thing a bit too literally!

Godspeed
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000