Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  08:31:07  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've listened to most of Rémi's mix, and me likey. When I've heard it all through I'll be a bit more detailed.

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

zub_the_goat
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  13:54:40  Show Profile  Visit zub_the_goat's Homepage  Click to see zub_the_goat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey,sorry i havent had a chance to do reviews,my internet connection isnt working, so i cant download anythnig,but i'll get up to date and post reviews monday!
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  09:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remi's podcast is making my Sunday, people!

Remi, any way you can email me a tracklist? Thanks!

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine

Edited by - kathryn on 04/23/2006 09:55:09
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  10:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My review of dean's mixx:
Ween: Is it a comedy band? Not fond of it.
Beulah: dug it, I think i'll try to hear more.
Grim Fandango: Funny
I liked Arcade fire, The decemberists (some in my mix), and Kaiser chiefs (one of the few good on their CD). I ‘ve seen them live, and the three are great great shows.
AC Newman, The Old Souls: very interesting, makes me want to know more. thanks
Run Chico Run: too strange
Broken social scene, Controler: bof
Falconhawk, Clearlake, Andrew Bird: I liked, but I don’t think I’ll try to know more.

A nice indie mix, AC Newman and Old Souls were the catchiest tunes in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  10:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who liked the 3rd track:
Stuck In The Sound are really nice guys, I've met them after a FB solo show in 2003, we talked about music, they told me about their band that was just begining, few month after at the last FB&Cs gig in Paris I met them again and they gave me their first demo CD. Two years later they were playing just before Arcade Fire, Queens of the Stone Age and The Pixies in front of 30 000 people at a festival.

All songs are on the FTP.

Edited by - remig on 04/23/2006 10:50:08
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  12:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian, it is now up to you to redeem Ween for these poor confused masses. :) I would feel very horrible if I turned all these people off a great band with my selections. I actually chose the first song (which I DO love, don't get me wrong) because it was from an internet release, and the second song because of Nashville. I suppose you could call Ween a comedy band, but I don't really think of them that way largely. I don't think to myself, this is supposed to be funny and I'm not laughing. For me it's more about them changing characters as they tell different stories in their music.

My own choice for Ween would be much too difficult, but I might select from the following: Falling Out, Exactly Where I'm At, Even If You Don't, Ocean Man, The Golden Eel, Buckingham Green (live), It's Gonna Be A Long Night (my favourite generally aren't their rockers, but I should probably have one in there), Zoloft, Take Me Away, Roses Are Free, Buenas Tardes Amigo, and What Deaner Was Talking About. So yeah, quite a list to narrow. I was very close to putting What Deaner on just 'cause it's me, but...

Thanks for the review, Remi. What does 'bof' mean? If you're going to check out more Beulah on the strength of that song, I'd definitely start at Yoko. The next song is probably my favourite on the album, I listened to that one on repeat for a week straight when I first heard it. But I think I've put that on a mix or something before which is why I didn't use it. The Coast Is Never Clear is pretty good too, a little more uptempo.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  14:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bof means "Not that great" or "not exciting".
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  15:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got it. Is that a French word, an acronym, a sound?

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  00:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a french "onomatopée", a word that suggest a sound such as: Ha, ho, oulala, aïe...
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  02:02:59  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Cool, thanks c_is, you made my day. :) A song by song review, who'd've thought?

(I've never seen the video, will have to find it now!)

Here's a link to some videos someone posted in another thread some months ago. You can check out the "Sixteen Military Wives" video there -I also hardly recommend the Stephen Malkmus and Aphex Twin videos there:

http://docopenhagen.blogspot.com/2005/12/top-50-music-videos-of-2005.html

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  02:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will someone review my podcast someday, or is it too bad to even say a word?
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  02:31:57  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's not too bad at all, it's just a matter of time (for me), but I hope I'll post my review by Thursday.

Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  03:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A special gift for the first reviewer able to give me the name of the music I use as an intro to my podcast.
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  03:29:32  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sounds like Gainsbourg "l'homme à tête de choux-era", but I guess it's not

Edited by - cassandra is on 04/25/2006 03:29:52
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  04:12:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the answer but only because Remi emailed it to me. Can I still win?

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  04:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did?
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  05:51:52  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm just getting a chance to really check out Remi's today. I want to give it a few listens before i review, but i promise it'll be up before i leave the office on Thursday.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  07:24:39  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks c, will check that out tonight (hopefully). And Remi, my plan was to ask you that, I think your intro music is probably my favourite thing on your podcast. Goes great with the robo-voice.

Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  07:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

And Remi, my plan was to ask you that, I think your intro music is probably my favourite thing on your podcast. Goes great with the robo-voice.

I'll say it when I'll have at least 3 reviews.

Edited by - remig on 04/25/2006 07:32:58
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  07:34:02  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not meant to be an insult to the rest, just a compliment to that song. I love spaceyness.

Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  07:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you'll be surprised to know what it is!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  04:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remi, can you post/email a tracklisting - sometimes its hard to make out the robot voice

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  04:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the track list:
Intro: a cover of a song everyone knows here.
00:38 – Wolfmother (Wolfmother) - Woman : Seen live, australian
03:24 - Hushpuppies (The Trap) – 1975 , french
06:30 – Stuck In The Sound (CQFD) – Toy Boy : Seen live, french FB fans
10:56 – The Posies (Frosting On the Beater) – Flavor Of The Month : Seen live
13:20 – My Morning Jacket (Z)- Anytime : Seen live
17:10 - The Two Gallants (What The Toll Tells) – Long Summer Day: Seen live
21:55 – Fugu (As Found) –A Bigger Splash : Seen live tuesday, french
25:08 - Phoenix (Never Been Like That) – Long Distance Call : Seen live monday, french
28:11 – Tahiti 80 (Fosbury) – Matter OF Time : Seen live , french
33:23 - HAL (HAL) – Worry About The Wind : Seen live, irish
36:16 – Troy Von Balthazar (ST) - Perfect : Seen live
40:19 – Neil Young (Harvest) – The Needle And The Damage Done
42:17 – The Coral (Magic And Medicine) – Pass It On : Seen live
44:41 – The Decemberists (Castaways And Cut-Outs) - The Legionnaire’s Lament : Seen live
49:21 – The Bees (Free The Bees) – Wash In The Rain
53:10 – Stephen Malkmus (ST) – Jojo’s Jacket
56:55 - Garlic (Murky’s World Of Seats) – Slave To The Summer, Son
60:18 – Teenage Fanclub (Songs From Northern Britain) – Can’t Feel My Soul : Seen live
63:31 – Jean Luc Le Ténia (Ténia Mania) - Picots, french indeed.

Edited by - remig on 04/26/2006 04:59:38
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  06:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remig, did you upload the MMJ track to the FTP? HAL & Phoenix too? I can't see them.

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Edited by - Llamadance on 04/26/2006 06:13:03
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  06:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the track are uploaded. Nice one isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  06:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOps, I might have disconnect before it ends uploading.
Fixing it right now.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  08:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remi, that's Buddy Holly or something Weezeresque, isn't it. I thought I recognized the melody but thought it was similar not a cover. Cool!

Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  08:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah right the song is Buddy Holly by the Moog Cookbook.
You've won the full song!
This band makes incredible rock covers just with moog and old 70's synth.Their Hotel California is hilarious.

Edited by - remig on 04/26/2006 08:34:39
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  09:56:59  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, damn! I would've found easily, I have the CD at home. But I still haven't downloaded your podcast.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

zub_the_goat
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  16:16:09  Show Profile  Visit zub_the_goat's Homepage  Click to see zub_the_goat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
again, really sorry about the lack of reviews, still no luck with properly working internet, but i will as soon as i can!
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  01:54:18  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm going near Avignon today for the week-end; then I won't be able to post my review of Rémi's mix before next week... sorry for the delay

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  02:20:03  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By the way, remig, don't know if you've ever heard it but the Moog Cookbook remix of Air's "Kelly Watch The Stars" is fantastic. Roger Manning and Brian Kehew are regular collaborators of Air (and Beck too)

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  02:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes I like the funky version, but it makes me think more of the Avalanches. have you heard their "novocaine for the soul" remix ?
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  08:03:03  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remi Review:

Favs: Stuck In The Sound – Toy Boy, Fugu – A Bigger Splash, Tahiti 80 – Matter OF Time
Least Favs: Wolfmother - Woman, Jean Luc Le Ténia - Picots
Comments: This is an interesting mix - i was familiar with a few bands (The Bees, Malkmus, Posies), but it was mainly new stuff, and i found myself liking a lot of it that i didn't think i would. Def. a lot of growers on this one. I think that "1975" was a cool track, and sort of a prequel to a great song that Rita introduced me to, "The 80s" by David Fonseca. The middle section of "Perfect" sounds a lot like "Plush" by Stone Temple Pilots, but i dug that song a lot too. It was hard to find songs i didn't at least moderately like, so the first and last tracks fell victim, despite me not really disliking either all that much - Wolfmother just sounds too Robert Plant-y for me, and "Picots" sounded like a poor man's Ween. All in all, excellent!

-Brian

Edited by - Broken Face on 04/27/2006 09:27:30
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  08:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you can find Stuck In, Fugu and Tahit 80 on myspace if you want to listen more.
Picots is a joke, this guy Jean Luc Le Tenia is a total emo loser but keeps it funny.

Thank you for the review.

Edited by - remig on 04/27/2006 08:40:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000