Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  12:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is that in French? I don't know, let's move on...

Lately (ie. 2006) I find I haven't had the time (inclination?) to keep up with "the new music" as much as I used to. You get behind and pretty soon you don't know Band of Horses from They Shoot Horses, Don't They?. So if someone could be so kind as to fill me in on what new, debut (or there abouts, see below) albums are really worth my time this year, I'd appreciate it. This thread is inspired by the review of the new Midlake album on Popmatters. As stated above, debut albums is what I'm aiming at, but if I didn't hear a bands first record (like Midlake), then I'm interested in their new amazing trax on wax. How are you, humble reader, supposed to know what I have and haven't heard? I dont' know, let's move on...

he's back jack smoking crack find him if you want to get found

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  12:45:17  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, don't know if you've heard them yet, but I really dig The Old Soul and Run Chico Run (The Slow Action) and both are in Saskatoon Aug 18 at Amigos. I'll definitely be there, though I'll have to skip out of Folkfest just when the fun begins...

"No man remains quite what he was when he recognizes himself."
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  12:49:28  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
La nouvelle musique...

-----
blackolero le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  12:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frog in the Sand

La nouvelle musique...

-----
blackolero le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français

Oh how I was looking forward to being corrected.... ;)

And perhaps I'll have to check out that show Deaner.

Edited by - speedy_m on 08/01/2006 13:00:42
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  13:08:48  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You'd better. Then you can see what I, Deaner, was talking about.

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  13:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are the Old Soul from?

And have you heard the Ween b-sides album? I downloaded one song yesterday, Israel, and it's awesome. Well, the music is awesome. The "singing" is actually a bunch of spoken word I didn't pay much attention to. Makes me want to seek out the rest of Shinola Vol. 1, which I kind of avoided because everyone went on about how "brown" it is (think early era Ween that we don't really like).

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  13:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I listened to Shinola and a bit and actually found it was much like early Ween which I also dislike (except live). Haven't heard their bsides but being that I mostly love Ween, I definitely should.

The Old Soul's from Ontario methinks. RCR is from Victoria.

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  14:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well they're not really new, but I just discovered The Russian Futurists recently, and I am very, very impressed. More Canadian excellence.

Not sure who to compare them to really, not that I like to do that anyway. I say 'them', but it's really just one guy, Matthew Adam Hart.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  14:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul Simon ain't just a great artist, eh HPM?

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  14:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was the track that got me into TRF. May get some funny looks if I try to request it at a club.

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  14:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need the scoop on the latest from your side of the sea. Are Guillemots worth my time? Should I even bother with the Arctic Monkeys, or are they not worth the hype? It's not really fair, but I kind of hate them because I keep hearing about them.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  16:05:03  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Arctic Monkeys suck the big one. Guillemots are fairly charming though, I like Trains To Brazil. I take it you're looking down the indie-rock route particularly?

Hail to the king, baby!
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  17:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Arctic Monkeys, I just don't like people that listen to the Arctic Monkeys.

"Meow"
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  05:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arctic Monkeys are OK, nothing more. Same with Guillemots from what I have heard, but at least they are more interesting.

Check out Polytechnic, my mate's band.

Oh and The Longcut. Also from Manchester.

EDIT : Oh and I nearly forgot one of my favourite new bands, Archie Bronson Outfit.

Edited by - Homers_pet_monkey on 08/02/2006 11:06:42
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  12:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Cheeseman regarding Artic Monkeys. SUCKO-RAMA...unfortunately I bought their CD *before* listening to them first. I can't believe David Bowie supposedly likes them.

I have been hearing some goods things about a new band called, "Deadboy and the Elephantmen" (debut album is called "We are Night Sky")....I have on demand musicmatch and I have just started listening to them today (I am on my second song currently). So far it is better than alot of stuff I have waded through recently.

That is all I got for debuts currently.

Edited by - mosleyk on 08/02/2006 13:08:16
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  12:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a local band I just heard about, Mason Proper. They're actaully kind of good, except I don't really like the vocals. I just missed them at the art fair on the 20th. Oh, well.
http://www.masonproper.com

"Meow"
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  15:13:52  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What I've been enjoying recently:
M Ward - Post-War (slightly Appalachian-styled acoustic songs, like Devendra Banhart but better, and with a bit more life)
Band Of Horses - you already know this one, I think.
Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit (probably the best album I've heard this year)
Adem - Love & Other Planets (this is his new album, but Homesongs is better)
Asobi Seksu - really need to check out more myself, it's almost like the new wave of shoegaze. Shoegaze is so hot right now.
Jamie Lidell - electronic funk, really cool.
The Books - alt.folk, apparently, I just like the electronica/acoustic combo.

These are my new music suggestions.

Hail to the king, baby!
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  15:58:34  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The Arctic Monkeys- I downloaded a bunch of their songs a while back and just listened to a couple of them this weekend, really not bad- kind of like old Elvis Costello w/out all those annoying keyboards.

I can see, though, why people would be wary of them; they're so hyped up in the music magazines, along with that band Wolfmother which I've never heard but I'm sick of hearing about.
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  19:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
M Wards new cd post war is skamazing

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  20:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Caesars are a Swedish band I just heard of. Their song I like the best "Jerk It Out", has been in about 100 commercials, for some reason. It's got a nice keyboard part. I think they also go by The Twelve Caesars, and Caesars Palace.

"Meow"
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  09:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a sad day indeed when speedy has to ask about new music.
Welcome to my world old man...;)

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  09:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

What a sad day indeed when speedy has to ask about new music.
Welcome to my world old man...;)

I know what you mean...I used to specifically search out speedy's posts knowing I could depend on his excellent taste in new music. I guess we all have to be pushed out of the nest at some point.
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  10:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow guys... apparently I suck now. Thanks for nothing Carolyn! And thank you for the kind comment mosley. I was thinking about this some, and I guess it's not so much that I haven't heard any of the new stuff this year (though of course there's great big gobs of it haven't heard or even heard of), it's just that what I have heard hasn't really thrilled me. Also, I've been delving into established artists I like more, like my late 05/early 06 infatuation with all things Bowie. It can take a while to get through a back catalogue like that. And I'm still only a few albums in. Right now I'm mired in an "all things Macca" funk where all I want to hear are his sweet melodies and trite lyrics. I've been listening to Wings, people. A lot. Who has time for the lastest XTC knock off when you're listening to fucking WINGS? And I haven't even listened to XTC! Also, thanks to FM/RM, I'm suddenly very into mellow, downtempo, bluesy, breezy, rootsy stuff, and the kids don't really jive that way these days. I mean, look at Man Man. Also, I used to drive a lot more than I do now, and driving gave me a lot of time to listen to new music.

And for my dear mosley, if you like Bob Pollard, you will love his new side project with Tommy Keene, "The Keene Brothers - Blues and Boogies Shoes". Generally I (a ridiculous fan of all things Bob) take at least 3 - 5 spins to even minorly enjoy a new Bob product. This one took an unprecedented TWO spins before I thought it was some level of genius. Seriously, it's good. It probably won't change your life (but how many albums do?), but it will be on repeat on your turntable and in your head for days.

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  10:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to flip back to America Mike, but am I right in assuming you know Two Gallants?

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  10:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know OF them, like I know OF taffy, but haven't really experienced the excellent joy that is taffy. I can even imgaine what taffy tastes like, to extend my analogy futher, and could see circustances wherein I would enjoy it.

So anyway tell me about Two Gallants.

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  10:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are a kinda folky, country, bluegrass duo from San Francisco. I am rubbish at desribing music though.

I was also given some recommendations from a girl in a bar not too long ago. I have downloaded quite a bit by them, but haven't had time to listen to them yet (I do this a lot). They were Vashti Bunyan, Vetiver and Espers. I also have some Palace Brothers that I have listened to very little of.

How about Howling Bells, heard of them?

If you like, I can send you tracks from all the bands I am recommending here. Better still, I can put them on Yousendit so everyone can listen, should they be so inclined.

Edited by - Homers_pet_monkey on 08/03/2006 11:07:28
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  10:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a fabulous idea. I have the first Vetiver and Espers albums, and they are quite mellow, alomst like ambient folk. I hear their new albums are a bit more lively. I have Vashti's album from the 70s, but I only listened to it once and everyone seems to love her new one. I've never heard of Howling Bels.

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  11:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's your first one. 'Cherry Lips' by Archie Bronson Outfit.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=CBAE651C655FB402

Do you know Ambulance Ltd?

Edited by - Homers_pet_monkey on 08/03/2006 11:10:38
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  11:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
speedy check out Bishop Allen- bishopallen.com theyre making a new ep every month so if you like them youll have new music for awhile

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  11:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another.

'Sister In Love' by Envelopes

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=C2541F0B1655DFA2

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  12:08:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Homers.

Join the Cult Of Pob! And don't forget to listen to the Pobcast!
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  17:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

And for my dear mosley, if you like Bob Pollard, you will love his new side project with Tommy Keene, "The Keene Brothers - Blues and Boogies Shoes". Generally I (a ridiculous fan of all things Bob) take at least 3 - 5 spins to even minorly enjoy a new Bob product. This one took an unprecedented TWO spins before I thought it was some level of genius. Seriously, it's good. It probably won't change your life (but how many albums do?), but it will be on repeat on your turntable and in your head for days.

Okay...this is beyond weird. I swear while I was on my drive to work this morning and "Glad Girls" came on the radio and I thought to myself..."I wonder what Bob Pollard is doing these days..." I swear! I also kicked myself again for not going to any GBV shows.

Thanks for the tip. I knew I could depend on you!!! also, check out deadboy and the elephantmen and let me know what you think. Warning...like alot of music in 2006 it isn't exactly ground breaking, but I would be curious of your opinion.
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  19:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In that case mosley, might I recommend Bob's latest solo album as a first listen before his side project work? "From A Compound Eye" is Bob at his finest. His new one, "Normal Happiness" which is due in October promises to be amazing from what I've heard.

I'll look into those bands, thanks for the tip!

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  05:02:02  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

They are a kinda folky, country, bluegrass duo from San Francisco. I am rubbish at desribing music though.

Mmhhh... indeed. They're more punk than anything. Let's say "punk-folk". It's a guitar & drums duo, with a bit of harmonica. Anyway, yeah, they're awesome. jediroller turned me into them, I downloaded their album (I haven't been able to find it here yet) and listen to it a lot.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  05:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have two albums. Go get the other one too.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  05:57:56  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

jediroller turned me into them
Impressive.

Hail to the king, baby!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page