Page: of 13

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  08:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by remig

I've uploaded a test file on the FTP (in my section) for the text-to-speech.
Can someone give me an opinion about it?

Did you understand what it says?
I don't know if it's good enogh to use it for the podcast.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  08:37:05  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

So who do we still have to hear from?

Remig, Crispy Water, Vilainde, Zub The Goat, Llamadance, Obfuscate By Will, Cheeseman1000

Come on you guys! Don't get behind right at the get go! :P

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Well if you aren't just the eager beaver.

Damn canadians.

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  08:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's it, you're demoted Cheeseman999.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  08:45:54  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I understand what it says, and it's really funny (IMO), but I wonder if it will still be funny all along the whole podcast?

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  08:46:59  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
the jezebel spirit and help me somebody : Again ,it's a bit linear, like dance music can be and sounding very eighties. It has an exotic touch mixed with a cold technologic feeling that makes it different from every "dance" music you can hear.
The use of the sample reminds me of Moby (not in good way). 2/5

Oh god oh god. I can't believe what I'm reading. You can't just say Eno reminds you of Moby! There are laws against this. Eno's a genius. Moby makes me want to throw up.

On a completely different note: I know I was the guy who insisted on having everyone review the mixes, but I just haven't had the time to listen to K's yet. I hope I'll be able to do it this week.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  08:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahahah. The moby thing. I knew it.

COF, don't worry i won't feed you with blah blah as mine is 80 minutes long!
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  09:00:10  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I can understand it. I suggest you just have very little chit-chat if you do use it.

It could get a bit annoying, I think.

*Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  10:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just telling the bands's names and tittles every two or three tracks. it's just 3% of the total time.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  12:36:25  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like it. I'm not going to do a big review, it'd be weird, it'd be like reviewing a radio show. But I like it. I wasn't expecting a one-artist-centric mix at all, and it caught me off guard, which is great. For me, it's always interesting to listen to someone expound on a subject they obviously really love, even if its a completely new area for me, which this is. And for all the "babbling", I think kathryn did walked the fine line between gushing and uninforming well, I enjoyed it very much.

I have to be brutally honest, the music doesn't do a whole lot for me, unfortunately. I think I like the first track best of all, but I can't really comment on it other than that - when my entire frame of reference is based on what I'm listening to right now, it's a little tricky to comment on the music. Saying that, my tastes shift around a lot, and as such there may well be a time when I'm looking for a slightly-proggy-but-more-groovy-yet-tense-at-the-same-time sound, in which case I know where I'll head.

Good job, I enjoyed this. I'm looking forward to the rest of them even more now.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  12:43:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remig, if you can, listen to one of the CBC podcasts numbering around 20 (maybe a little before). They did it well. Haven't had a chance to check yours though, so don't take that as commentary, just nice sometimes to see what others have done.

I wish I was going later so I had time to reformat my chatter into something more meaningful than "I like this". I agree completely with Cheese that the best part of K's podcast was hearing someone talk about an artist they love (I was going to use expound but he beat me to it!). Harder to do with a mix, but still possible. I think that was the best part about focusing that attention of her podcast on one or two people.

Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  12:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
COF, cold you just take a quick listen to my podcast (as a preview). If it's horrible, I'll just upload my files. It's on the FTP.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  16:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cassandra is

Kathryn, .. I wanted to know if it's normal that the song "Third Uncle" that feature on it is not the original version by Eno but a cover from Bauhaus?

This is why tech-dolts such as me should not do tech things. I was too busy trying to figure out how to put together the podcast to realize that I had the wrong friggin song. Sorry, guys!
Here is the actual Brian Eno doing the actual song.

http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=38ZNTHU4LBOAO0P0DYESYQV6KJ

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  19:14:02  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Would love to remig, email me a link.

Go to Top of Page

zub_the_goat
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  03:42:44  Show Profile  Visit zub_the_goat's Homepage  Click to see zub_the_goat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, sorry its taken me a while to post the review, ive been listening to the podcast while doing my dissertation, and i must say i really enjoyed it (the podcast that is), great to hear someone that passionate about the music, and really explore one area that i havent paid as much attention into as i should, definetly going to have a look into some more brian eno stuff-ive just started getting into david byrne, so this has been a great little introduction for me, standout track for me has to be baby's on fire, melodic darkness-loved it, Also the one with sampling (i should have written it down, gah!)
Thanks Kathryn!!!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  05:57:40  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't worry guys, my 'cast will take kathryn's 'expounding' and raise it to a 'nerd alert' level rather quickly.

PS. I'm just about done w/ my podcast, so if anyone wants/needs to switch, i could be ready to go for next Friday or any subsequent Friday.

-Brian

Edited by - Broken Face on 04/13/2006 05:58:38
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  10:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alright, my mix is up. Hope 'ya like it.

Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  10:09:02  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sounds good, your mix is already on the FTP?

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  10:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I already like three of them ;)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  10:31:35  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The files are, I hosted my podcast on my own FTP but if you guys want to grab it from there, it's just:

http://dean.katsiris.com/podcast/neurock03.mp3

I could upload it to Obfuscate's server if that would make life easier.

Remig, sorry 'bout that. So hard to pick music I love that I know nobody has heard. I'm impressed that it's only three. Which ones, incidentally?

Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  11:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decemberists (big fan)
Arcade Fire (big fan)
Kaiser chiefs (you picked one i like alot).
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  11:51:13  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed kathryn's mix quite a bit.

I'm familiar with Eno's music so there were no surprises there (well, except the bogus Third Uncle). Great song selection. "Help Me Somebody" is my favorite track off of MLITBOG(?!).

Kathryn was very informative. The anecdotes she provided really make the songs feel a bit more special, especially the True Wheel.

-

Thanks. Great presentation.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  11:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can I suggest some way of keeping the tracklisting secret until we've listened to it? I may be the only one, admittedly, but I like hearing each track as a surprise. I don't know if this is possible.

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  12:07:45  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just stay away from the mp3 files on the FTP.

Unless the tracklist is posted ...surprise!

Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  12:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We could upload the files to the FTP a couple of days after the podcast. And post the tracklist then. Or link to a text file with details that folks can download if they want.

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  12:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've removed the tracklist post here for now. Sorry guys. :(

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  01:59:38  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I forgive you Dean. This time...

I've been downloading it straight from my RSS reader because I fear the concept of FTP. I think if I squint right I can avoid looking at the tracklisting there, so that's all cool.

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  07:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your comments on my podcast, guys.

Here is my review of Dean's:

Warning for Cheesey: I'm gonna mention track names so avert your gaze!

It took me a while to get into the 2 Ween songs, as is always the case for me w. those guys. But then it all worked out. Nice.

Dean was right, the piano in the Beulah song makes it. I've wanted to listen to those guys forever, and this was a good introduction.

Thanks also, Dean, for explaining the background music. I was wondering about it.

Re: Bone Wagon. Frank could get behind the surf groove on there, eh? Fun stuff! Did anybody else hear an almost klezmer-like thing going on with the guitars? The vocals destroyed me, they were so much fun.

The song that most "stayed" with me and made me interested in an artist was "River of Daughters," which buried itself in my head and stayed there. Anything with a water theme grabs me, but the music worked great, too.

I was familiar w. most of the next few songs so it was great to see them included.

From Andrew Bird, I'd only heard "Nervous Tick Motion," so thanks for expanding that musical horizon.

Thanks, Cultie.

P.S. Nice accent, Dean.

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  09:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, thanks Kathryn, I've had a chance to listen now. I'll do a review soon as I go through it again.

For sure eh?

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  10:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, I don't think I said either of those things Cheese!

I do notice on these recordings that I say, "y'know" a lot. I used to make fun of Frank (well, in the way that only a dedicated and truly geeky fan could) for doing that but I guess I respect the man too much so wound up adopting it.

Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  12:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
(1.......2........3.........4........5.......6...)

kathryn:

The guitar really makes Baby‘s On Fire for me, and I must admit part of the reason for that is the break it provides from his singing. Never been much a fan of his voice, despite the musical brilliance. Mother Whale Eyeless has its (mostly) polite claws in my neck - again loving the guitar work. The female vocal was pretty interesting, and the song as a whole strikes me as remarkably neutral in mood. Not much really excited me about The True Wheel until a couple of minutes in, then listening to the layers just pile up and exhale at one another was very enjoyable.

So then came the Catherine Wheel tracks. That was the first Byrne album I ever bought (it was only eight dollars brand new!) and it got a lot of play for awhile. I like the entire recording, but only a few tracks ever HUGEly stood out, Big Business being one of them. I commend you for the selection. In spite of numerous recommendations as well as opportunities, never has My Life in the Bush of Ghosts pierced my ears. The Jezebel Spirit is a pretty sweet groove (as you say, trippy as hell), but it goes on about a minute too long for my liking. The final track is cool, though certainly not my favourite. Gets just a wee bit too busy for its own good. Just a wee bit.

All in all, a good mix. Appreciate all your insights, particularly the extensive detail on the first few tracks. One thing I’ve always associated with Eno is the thought that he composes everything on paper before playing it on an instrument. David Byrne also seems to have a very mechanical approach, but somehow it’s a lot easier to imagine him just sitting down with a guitar and banging out a song in five minutes. Both very talented, but that perceived distinction troubles me for whatever reason.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  14:34:07  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gave Dean's mix one listen, but it deserves, nay, requires, a second listen. Review tomorrow or Wednesday.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  15:09:14  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I definitely need to listen to it again. With a lot of coffee and a notebook, whoo-ee it's a monster! I went to the park with the podcast on, twice round and it was still going, Dean's a machine!

forum ebook
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  15:16:58  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hahaha, sorry guys! Glad to contribute to your outdoor activity though, Tre. :)

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  16:32:14  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My iPod is officially dead - but i really need one. I may go buy a new one tomorrow...

Because going to a baseball game listening to the podcasts on the train sounds great.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  01:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems there's a lot of Arcade Fire fans around.
You can check out here the video of "My heart is an apple" took at thier first show in Paris (which became a legend). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEdJCIRXBks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000