Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  07:41:18  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm, OK, let me look into it, I have the same problem...

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  07:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok. the Info was right this time, but the file was still you.

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  07:47:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, found the problem, fixed. Tested. Download happily.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  13:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listening to kathryn's podcast now. :)

The second track is fantastic, and I will now have to scratch from mine. grrrr. ;)

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  06:05:48  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
god this podcast subscribing thing is so annoying. That's ok though, I found the mp3 file.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  06:22:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm downloading the MP3 file.
Will listen to it soon.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  11:28:21  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What exactly is the problem, Denis? How is it not working for you?

It's easier in the longrun if you can just subscribe because then you don't have to download every week.

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  12:29:02  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In iTunes

Go to Advanced -> Subscribe to podcast -> C & P http://dean.katsiris.com/podcast/feed.xml

Done? It should DL/update automatically.

*Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  13:47:27  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alright, my review of Kathryn's mix.

The Jezebel Selkie.

Brian Eno is one of those legendary musicians I've heard a lot of yet not heard any of, though that's no longer the case. I'm glad K stuck to a theme focusing on that, because it sort of makes this a primer for me to get more into him. I've been missing out. That said, Baby's On Fire, the first track, is probably the only song I'd already heard. Of course a good song, but 'til now I didn't have a copy so it's nice to listen to on my own terms. The next song, Third Uncle, is probably my favourite of the bunch however, really enjoy the guitar and percussion, just excellent. Moving Tiger Mtn. is probably something I'd pick up on the strength of this song, but I am a bit leary because Mother Whale Eyeless and moreso The True Wheel largely bore me. But I've gone through Mother Whale Eyeless several times and each time I enjoy it more and more, so who knows? The ending part in particular is great, my favourite part of the song. He seems to be into writing very large numbers that, I think, would largely be better if he could condense the ideas and put on his editor's hat. My biggest complaint with Eno is probably that the songs are so long. It occasionally is appropriate, but others, well, no.

David Byrne is another guy I've not taken the time to investigate really. Actually, it was really nice of Katherine to provide all those stories and explain how they all connected and everything, I enjoyed that aspect of the podcast a lot as it gives the songs some context. I, unfortunately, did not do that on my podcast coming next week, but it's a great help. The Katherine Wheel songs are very remniscent of Eno, especially with the percussion, but overall his sound is a little more obviously from that era, I think. Certainly the first song of his has a late 70s/early 80s kind of sound. Mixed with a lot of drugs. I didn't mind the first song of his, but the rest were just not my cup of tea.

Finally, the collaborative ones, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. I guess that at my core, I like melody. That's what does it for me. These songs have interesting soundscapes and percussive arrangements, but maybe somewhere deep down, I'm just a pop loving fool. I didn't really care for these last ones either. I enjoy the first bit of this podcast quite a bit but the rest seems to move out of the realms that I'm interested in, personally. Still, I'll be listening to Third Uncle on repeat for a while. Thanks, K.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  16:10:16  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Jezebel Selkie.

I often find when listening to the radio, especially the more mainstream stations, that the tracks played are as impersonal to the DJ as a one night stand. You might catch the name and a few moments of interest but that’s about that. What I appreciate about podcasts in general is the more personal approach. The tracks chosen have intimate association to the ‘caster. They are more ready to gush and justify their choice and always willing to offer up more information about the song, the artist or the history behind the choice.

I think Kathryn has pulled this off especially well and as a wise man once told me sometimes you have to know the back story to something to fully appreciate it.

Tracks one to four: Of these the only one that really caught my attention was the second track. That sounds harsh, I didn’t rate the first song at all. That sounds harsher but I didn’t. I think if it were a shorter song I may have liked it more but because the sound didn’t interest me the duration of the sound was another nail in the coffin as it were. The second track I was listening to as I went outside to the front of the house to have a smoke and wait for the coffee in the caffetiere to infuse itself to perfection. I sat on a step drawing on my cancer stick looking suspiciously at a big fat bumble bee and happily tapped my foot. The third track, I barely noticed it’s passing to be honest. The fourth I liked, but not in an especially enthusiastic manner. No foot tapping.

The tale of the postcards combined with the mescaline or something between these sets of tracks was a brilliant and interesting addition. I appreciated this and it endeared me more to the music I had just listened to. The second and third time round I was warming to the songs I had already dismissed.

The next set of tracks had more appeal to me, but the final two tracks, especially the one with the exorcist stuff, were musically the highlight of the podcast to me.

I don’t know what it is, in theory Brian Eno and David Byrne should be right up my alley but in practise I’m left a little cold. I don’t think that they are artists I would pursue with much interest had I heard the tracks on ordinary radio to be honest. The way they have been presented here gives the tracks more appeal than they would have on their own.

I feel really mean writing this because I did enjoy the ‘cast but my enjoyment was not stemmed primarily from the music and that feels wrong. So sorry.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  05:19:52  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't have and don't want to install iTunes, nor any podcast listening software. I'm just an old grouchy guy who's out of touch with the new technology of the interweb.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  06:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denis, do you want me to YSD-it you the podcast as a series of mp3s?

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  07:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kiki, if your current crop of interviews doesn't work out, you certainly have an NPR-ready voice! I never noticed before how well your voice would fit in there! Certainly a career choice...

I just started your podcast, and its already brightened up my Sunday @ work.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  07:24:33  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Denis - you could try Bloglines... It's a web-based RSS aggregator, i.e. you just sign in and it comes up with your list of subscriptions. All you need do is add the .xml feed in and it'll automatically tell you when a new podcast is available, for you to download at your leisure. Works for me anyway, I don't use iTunes either.

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  07:54:29  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else's podcast have Kathryn's commentary cut short at times? Is this my crappy work computer, or a problem w/ the actual podcast?

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  07:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Um, err, um.

How to say it?

Um.

That's not your crappy work computer. That's my crappy, non-existant computer skills. I was horrified and ashamed to learn that the podcast is out there for anybody to hear and think that fb.netters haven't a clue as to how to make a voice file.

My apologies.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  08:13:44  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No apologies necessary - i REALLY dug the podcast - i'll start right in w/ my review:

Fav. Track: The first Byrne song (didn't catch the title)
Least Fav. Track: The third Eno song (once again, i'm a lazy listener who never remembers titles)

Even though Eno is someone who looms large musically, i know very little of his work. I own the Byrne collab. album (on vinyl no less - 25 cents at a yard sale!), i have the "Discreet Music" disc as well, and i know a little Roxy Music, but Eno has always been one of those "why haven't i devoted more time to him" artists.

Well, this 'cast makes me want to learn more, and quickly. I think i'm going to do the responsible, studious thing and start from the beginning of the discography and move forward, so WARM JETS here i come!

As for Byrne, i am a big fan. I've seen him solo acoustic (which is quite a rare occurance i understand...) and love his more recent solo work, as well as his Heads stuff. The only gap in my Byrne knowledge is his solo stuff pre-late 90s, so i'm glad i got a taste of that in your podcast. Truly one of the most intriguing performers working today...

All in all, a thorough enjoyment. Thanks!

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  09:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we just doing the podcast thing now, or are we doing the ftp with the mp3's as well?

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  09:52:47  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Upload the MP3s, sorry, was gonna' do it Friday, but wound up working all night, and Sat was my sister's birthday and... bla bla I'll do it now.

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  09:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dean, should I upload the songs, voice files and tracklist, or are you saying you're on it?

Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  10:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we'll need the password to the ftp site etc via email.

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  10:17:05  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll email everyone with the FTP info.

cassandra is, email me and I'll hit you back.

Edited by - ObfuscateByWill on 04/09/2006 10:28:35
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  10:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://s59.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3FU8BGFX0FW902MZPA34YT31DX

i YSI my podcast, in case people need/want to do that

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  11:59:47  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry kathryn. You had problems with the FTP last time 'round, right?

-

kathryn's songs are on the FTP.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  12:08:50  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's already been done so no need for l'il old me after all. :)

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  14:01:06  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this is my least favorite part of the mix process - paring down my selections to a managable number, knowing full well it will change 10 times before i actually upload

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  14:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tried my best, I really did. If I had more time to pare it or go back and redo my intros I might have but here we are...

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  19:09:46  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just changed the dates of everyone's upload, so it is a Friday upload. This is so that there is a full week between Kathryn and Dean's uploads.

And now Tre uploads on my birthday!

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  23:52:32  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kathryn, I've been listening to your podcast yesterday (I'll post my review tomorrow), and I wanted to know if it's normal that the song "Third Uncle" that feature on it is not the original version by Eno but a cover from Bauhaus' "The Sky'Gone Out" album (although the track is credited as the Eno's version)?

pas de bras pas de chocolat

Edited by - cassandra is on 04/10/2006 23:54:09
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  01:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've uploaded a test file on the FTP (in my section) for the text-to-speech.
Can someone give me an opinion about it?
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  02:43:53  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my opinion about it:

Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  06:50:34  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"The Jezebel Selkie."

Kathryn’s podcast
mark: 4 out of 5

First of all, I must say that you made me borrow “My Life In the Bush Of Ghosts” this morning at my library. I’m a big Eno fan: especially the first solo albums, the Roxy-period, the Bowie collaborations, Devo productions etc… But I was quite curious about that album –and a bit reluctant in fact- but you convinced me. I don’t know very much about David Byrne and the Talking Heads, and I guess this is a lack I’ll have to correct one of these days…

baby's on fire
What I love about that song and “Here come…”, is that we can still hear the influence of glam-rock and of the Roxy-period. Eno’s not a great singer, but I like his way of singing, especially on this one, with his androgynous-decadent style. I love the lyrics too. I love the guitar solo too. I guess “Here Come…” should easily be in the top 20 best 70’s albums.

third uncle
Well, I don’t really know which version to comment, I like both of them: the Bauhaus one that’s on your podcast, is a really good cover (nice guitar effects, more “nervous” than the original, and Peter Murphy sings it really well, sounds like a mix between Joy Division and The Velvet Underground). About the original: I like the rhythm of the guitars and the way Eno “sings”, the guitar melodies, and the lyrics too.

mother whale eyeless
I mostly love the first four albums of Eno because he still writes “songs” on these ones. It’s like Bowie with the Berlin-era: it’s still rock’n’roll, but he leads it to a place it has never been before with all his experimentations. I also like the fact that lots of Eno songs from that period leave you with this strange feeling: you can’t say if it’s a happy song or a sad one, I guess it’s something in between. I like the girls chorus.

the true wheel
I like the girls chorus on that one too and the glam soundings. The keyboards and guitars noises and treatments are really interesting too. I like the progression of the song, it’s well thought out.

So here we come to the songs I didn’t knew:

my big hands (fall thru the cracks)
I like the general “groove” of that one, and the way David Byrne sings: in a detached manner, quite a “talk-over”. Keyboards are interesting too.

big business
What I like about this one is the African and Jazz influences that you can hear in it, it reminds me of some Peter Gabriel songs. A good example of musical “crossover” IMO. Really dig the instrumental parts in the end.

the jezebel spirit
This song made me think that: if only Bowie had continued his collaboration with Eno in the 80’s, instead of producing such bad albums…
The use of the exorcism sample combined with that “hypnotic”groove is a really good idea.

help me somebody
Maybe that’s the one I like the less on your podcast, but it’s still a good one. I like the use of the sample in that one too.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  07:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So who do we still have to hear from?

Remig, Crispy Water, Vilainde, Zub The Goat, Llamadance, Obfuscate By Will, Cheeseman1000

Come on you guys! Don't get behind right at the get go! :P

Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  07:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm listening to it right now (again).

Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  08:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kathryn for this Podcast, I had never listen to Eno, Byrne , Roxy Music or the talking heads. Now I can say that I know something. I've enjoyed your podcast a lot.

I don't understand the lyrics so I'll focus on the music.

Here's my track-by-trac review:
baby's on fire
The voice makes me think of Les Claypool, and the weird touch too. I liked the guitar and the percussions. 3/5.

third uncle
Good song, I like the binary rythm and the punk guitar sound. the other drums are cool. 4/5

mother whale eyeless
Makes me song of some Supergrass songs. I didn't like the voice that much on that one. 2/5

the true wheel
Didn't like that one. The voice again, and the background vocals plus the drums sound. They sound old. 1/5

On Brian Eno: Quite interresting but I'm afraid it sounds too much "80's" to me. Songs are a bit long (5mn) and linear sometimes.

my big hands (fall thru the cracks)
Makes me think of Gainsbarre (old Serge Gainsbourg). Sounds mechanical. good. 3/5

big business
Strange. A good soundtrack for an 80's action movie. Something between Blade Runner and the Year of The Dragon.2/5

the jezebel spirit and help me somebody : Again ,it's a bit linear, like dance music can be and sounding very eighties. It has an exotic touch mixed with a cold technologic feeling that makes it different from every "dance" music you can hear.
The use of the sample reminds me of Moby (not in good way). 2/5

Again, thank you, it was nice too hear you and I always enjoy listening and learning about new (for me) music.

Edited by - remig on 04/12/2006 08:26:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000