Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  20:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fumanbru...that gives me a lot to think on.

Obviously FB/BF was trying to fool the world-- to fool their eyes or the appearance of things some how.

Hmm... as a true fan like I have said before was he fooling the world to think that the Pixies that they were broken up when they were broken up when they were taking a break, or is there something else such as a hidden message in TLM or is it something else completely different?

Obviously, TLM is more than meets the eye!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 02/05/2005 20:49:26
Go to Top of Page

number 13
= Cult of Ray =

286 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  14:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought that the "And now it's time to go on holiday" quote was a clue about the split. Frank was aware that the Pixies would be sooner or later over.

And I relied it with the end of the Navajo Know, the fading at the end of the song, like "Hey guys! It's over, we're vanishing, no more Pixies records! Goodbye!".
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  20:36:45  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And then there's Stormy Weather, announcing the coming difficulties.
Go to Top of Page

number 13
= Cult of Ray =

286 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  09:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be cool to list the songs that announce the difficulties or the near break up. Which ones except Stormy Weather?
Go to Top of Page

Mad Lucas
- FB Fan -

Australia
142 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  04:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hang Wire: When one of them gets too angry?

SOrry thats lame.

The Organic Anti-Beat Box Boy
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  05:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

TLM is definitely an opener - and a very good one. even the very first seconds sound like an overture. it is not random that this is track #1 and named like the album. the curtain is raised, and we should look very carefully.
the nest song (planet) starts with leaving planet earth and our age ("they sent me skipping through time"). on this journey the narrator travels back to france of the 19th (?) century (alec eiffel), ancient egypt (letter to memphis), to mars (lovely day, olympus mons) and to utah (maybe a million years ago - the "sea monkey" refers to those very little crustaceans which evolved there a long time ago). subbacultcha and sad punk may touch the theme of travelling and going along itself(subbacultcha - touring with a band and cruising the sea; sad punk: "one thousand miles an hour", "evolving from the sea"). finally the traveller crashes with his space/time-ship and returns to earth (motorway).

i like to imagine TLM (the album) as a "story" about travelling, as i said before. the song TLM would fit nicely within this context, since

a) it is an opener which sets the scene for the "story"
b) this song has incredibly dynamics, it literally jumps forward every second. like on an exciting journey, you have no idea what will happen within the very next moment.

the only songs i can't fit in are space, u-mass and teh navajo. but you can't have it all.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  06:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

everybody recorded Johnny B Goode
or ripped it off
so that would have been
this song occurred a zillion times

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"

Another take might be that the song is played twice within itself. The song essentially starts over after the interlude, so that it's more like two, short songs connected by a bridge.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  07:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the best I've heard so far. I've always wondered the meaning behind "this song is twice occured", finding out about sonnets and acrostics, you know there are so many secrets out there that we just haven't found yet.
Yesterday I heard a noise in a 10 yeard old song I never knew was there. And it was quite a revelation.
I wonder if every single album has something we just don't see or hear yet.

sorry guys, keep talking, this thread is on fire.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  15:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nicely put two reelers. i like the idea of travelling through space and time.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  19:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two Reelers, building about your point about the Sea Monkeys... I kinda wonder if it's a metaphor for aliens that have kinda been freeze dried in the Great Salt Lake... who knows???
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  03:45:01  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

Two Reelers, building about your point about the Sea Monkeys... I kinda wonder if it's a metaphor for aliens that have kinda been freeze dried in the Great Salt Lake... who knows???

the sea monkeys are the only living beings in Great Salt Lake
some kind of schrimp right?
who helpes me out, frank told about that song

Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  06:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

the sea monkeys are the only living beings in Great Salt Lake
some kind of schrimp right?
who helpes me out, frank told about that song

ja, we call them "Urzeitkrebse" (maybe translated to paleo-crustaceans). but i don't know when they started to evolve.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  20:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, I was hoping there was another space-alien connection.

So has anyone listened to it backwards yet???
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  23:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if "fool the world" means "I'll trick people into thinking this song's lyrics have some deeper/broader meaning, when really they don't, ha ha" ... er, no, sorry about that </blasphemy>

Ok, here's a thought:
"and the wordS are the letters of the words"

Why is that first 'words' in plural - is that implying that there is a more-than-one-word acrostic or several acrostics on the album or was that a general observation of the writing style or the lyrics yet to come (maybe work in progress at the time, to be released on solo records)?

-----
talking about music is like dancing about architecture - Frank..
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  07:11:23  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triakel

quote:

everybody recorded Johnny B Goode
or ripped it off
so that would have been
this song occurred a zillion times

Another take might be that the song is played twice within itself. The song essentially starts over after the interlude, so that it's more like two, short songs connected by a bridge.

I was thinking the exact same thing. The Cult of Ray (the song) is the exact same way, too. Maybe FB drew attention to the fact that he wrote TLM in this manner so much that he put it in the lyrics and/or used it for another title track.

Another thing: "she...represented by the lights." Do you think it's a reference to the fact that

all which we, as humans, see physically is light reflected off an object? Delving further into it, does this permeate the whole notion of fooling the world, fooling the eye, BF looking at the world and questioning it in an epistemological manner? Think of David Hume and how he said that the only thing we understand is human perception, and we don't really know anything. Suppose we're all dreaming.

BF kinda "fools" you at the beginning of the song. You think he's asking an interrogative sentence, but it turns out to be a declaritive.

Seriously, do I have anything here or am I just ranting? apl - any thoughts? anyone else?
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  07:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like it, but will have to think about it a bit more. epistemological is a big word for me.

Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  08:10:28  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Another thing: "she...represented by the lights." Do you think it's a reference to the fact that

all which we, as humans, see physically is light reflected off an object?

Interesting idea. I always kind of got the picture of a woman driving down the freeway with UFOs overhead. The woman's car and the UFOs would have both had lights.

"Reunion? Shit union!"
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  09:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trompe Le Monde translation (roughly):fool the world. and thats exactly wat frank has done hes fooled you all into thinking the song is atually about something.genius.
i could be wrong tho

A day is really two days
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  12:27:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tromper Le Monde is fool the world.

Frank's cheating the world with his trompe.
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  08:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i said roughly translated

A day is really two days
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  08:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh no, wasn't correcting you marsist, just my rough french translation
alot of chat on being fooled when maybe we've been cheated
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  10:47:20  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You said you were the king of liars, and I believed you and called you sire, but I realize now that I have been deceived.

"Reunion? Shit union!"
Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  07:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Trompe le Monde" can mean "Fool the world, (or the people, or the crowd)", anyway it is quite unusual in French. (I have a feeling of déjà-écrit)
you should know that it was named after the expression "trompe l'oeil" which is a way of painting with realistic 3 dimensions perspectives (or whatever). It both refers to the eyeball (you know, debaser) and the fact that an eyeball is like a planet (the world) and reminds of Bossanova. It's all disco...

I don't need a cure I need a final solution...
Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  07:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just thought,

A lot of round things on the pixies covers...
The cranium on Come on...
The breasts on Surfer rosa
The Halo on Doolittle
The planet on bossa
The eyes on Trompe

The discs inside thoses sleeves...

I don't need a cure I need a final solution...
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  11:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha ha ha yeh thats true
coincidence???? I DONT THINK SO

A day is really two days
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  15:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dug this up about the cover. "Trompe l'oeil is a French term literally meaning "to deceives the eye." It dates back as far as 400 B.C. and was part of the rich culture of the Greek and Roman Empires. The viewer’s only role is to be deceived and enjoy looking."

and then this from the alec eiffel website, "It's deliberately, obtusely, weird, six sheep's eyeballs lying in a soft bed of salt. The sleeve says, in effect, "This will be an odd, unpredictable, sometimes terrible, sometimes strangely beautiful experience. An album to be reckoned with."

(there are actually 7 sheep eyeballs on the cover. one hidden behind the "P" in pixies.)

I don’t really know what to make of this? I guess the cover fools us. But I just keeping thinking about the poor little sheep walking around with no eyes.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  18:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great thoughts you guys wow! Ice Cream... man you blow me away with that phliosophy.

Fumanbru... I hear what you are saying with the sheep's eyeballs... I guess we can tie Fooling the Eye into the Album cover. It would only make sense to look for more clues there.

Ok sheep... they are animals that are docile and can be led... sometimes compared to people. From Monkey Gone to Heaven we know what six and seven symbolize.

Salt (I always thought it was snow until now!) symbolizes money. It's also a preservative. I am not sure if that helps but hopefully it does!
Go to Top of Page

silvereel
- FB Fan -

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  18:49:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you take the words that are twice occured from this song, and rearrange them, you have the following statement:

they go on by and free the words of this song
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  18:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fuckin hell thats cool

"To be known as an underdog - that can only be a good thing. It's better than sucking."
- Frank Black

Go to Top of Page

silvereel
- FB Fan -

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  19:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rearranging all the words in the song, i came up with the following:

they Are Out There. It is time. We went And bought Some free samples. joe Said Why those? they paid For This Electrically From outer space. and by the way, who painted the letters on this record? now its ocurred twice, Which is great. the words Represented the words of the song she played And the guy named washington continually dreams. memories and lights haunt her. go Away, cupids. Go little angels, go. something Is on her shirt, Like another holiday song. and to go on, only named in the state of life, free of capitals.
Go to Top of Page

silvereel
- FB Fan -

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  19:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i want to figure this out
Go to Top of Page

silvereel
- FB Fan -

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  19:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, even....
if it takes all night.
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  19:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
go for it man your blowing my mind

"To be known as an underdog - that can only be a good thing. It's better than sucking."
- Frank Black

Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  23:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn CoOl

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria