Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Perk
- FB Fan -

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  23:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
billgoodman
JIMI HENDRIX, put out a 45 RPM and 7inch record in 1967 before the first LP.
One A side was Hey Joe and the other was GLORIA.
Hey joe was first a hit for The Leaves in 1966 and
in 1968 by Hendrix. Only two artist to chart the song.
GLORIA was first a hit for the band THEM. But thats where I get the "and the words are the letters of the words"
Go little record go !
"painted on her shirt in capital"
Every old Hendrix t-shirt I have seen is all capital letters. JIMI HENDRIX.
Lame ?

Don't sweat the petty things
and don't pet the sweaty things
Go to Top of Page

Perk
- FB Fan -

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  23:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little record links
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4061529193&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25602&item=4062597451&rd=1
I think the US 45 release had Hey Joe and GLORIA on the b side ?

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2004 :  10:16:57  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

everybody recorded Johnny B Goode
or ripped it off
so that would have been
this song occurred a zillion times

Geesh! I didn't mean that it had only been covered by Hendrix. I mean to suggest that the Chuck Berry song is referenced in the Pixies song TWICE. Also, the words *this song* occur twice in the song.

Edited by - apl4eris on 12/24/2004 10:44:47
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2004 :  01:53:13  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok as long as that is clear
thanks perk
and apl4eris

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

soyuber
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2004 :  11:02:15  Show Profile  Visit soyuber's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trompe le Monde = Mislead The World

(French)
Go to Top of Page

geertos
- FB Fan -

Belgium
158 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  01:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to believe they used Trompe le Monde a bit as their own Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Think of it: they're both the short title songs of the album that literally introduce the album and the songs that are about to follow from a sort of third-person perspective. "Go little record go it is named by some guy named Joe", vs "We're SPLHCB, we hope you will enjoy the show".

Also, the song SPLHCB occured twice on that album, there was a short reprise of it near the end. So, bearing in mind the "this song is twice occured"-mystery, maybe the Pixies also had the idea to reprise TLM the end, e.g. introducing the final masterpiece Motorway, just like the reprise of SPLHCB introduced A Day in the Life. Just my little theory. But I believe it would have worked brilliantly.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  20:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Perk, geertos, shastasheen and Apl! I think you guys might be on to something.

After re-reading your post about WACO is Out there, Apl a question jumped to my mind. I can't remember those strange gov't frequencies you posted about earlier. I hope I am not totally making this up but I think I remeber you posting that Frank listened to them too. Maybe he picked up something on those frequencies and then he wrote it here before it was known in the news media?

Also, do you think that those numbers are some sort of a count down.

I tried listing out the first letter of every line backwards and forwards and the last letters backwards and forwards and I couldn't come up with anything that made sense.
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  20:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
coupla thoughts...

1. the words are the letters...there are a limited # of these...the longest sentence I can come up with using letters that double as words:
Oh, gee, I see why you are in a queue. (o g i c y u r n a q) dare your friends (or bet 'em $5 if they can come up with a longer sentence...if they can't, cut me in on the winnings!)

playing with that concept i came up with you be you. pere ubu...looking at their release from 92(worlds in collision), upon which Eric Feldman played doesn't help--a dead end? it's been a LONG time since I heard that one...do they have any cool samples on that album? any by someone from seattle or tacoma or walla walla???

2. okay, maybe just one thought:) see 1.

this makes mah head ache...

Edited by - tobafett on 01/17/2005 20:56:44
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  11:29:48  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

I can't remember those strange gov't frequencies you posted about earlier. I hope I am not totally making this up but I think I remeber you posting that Frank listened to them too. Maybe he picked up something on those frequencies and then he wrote it here before it was known in the news media?

Also, do you think that those numbers are some sort of a count down.
You mean shortwave numbers stations, etc? I doubt that he would have been able to deduce anything from those. From what I can tell most people who have been trying to decode them have decided they are one-offs and therefore impossible to solve. But then again, you never know, that Frank's a smart one.

As far as the countdown theory, we know he's done that before in Robert Onion:

R obert lead me into thought
o nion layers wait for you
b ounty of eternal fields
e very muscle knot i feel
r obert tell me what to do
t ell exactly what you're not

t ails pushing grand whales
h eads hope to have the stuff
e ach flag had no sail

c an you believe enough?
a nd though diana calls to you
s he will never never yield
e very siren has her spot

f our hundred million
o h, that is very far
r obert sweet onion

m akes me feel so tired
a nother layer and layers oh, no
r obert can you find your way?
s how me the way to come

z ugzwang got me in a way
u nder my opposing thumb
b randishing my shield
r obert leads me into thought
i nto the dimming blue
n owhere in this world
(4) for this old jack-tar
(3) three cheers for robert
(2) to the cinnabar
(1) one ponders layers and layers

but as it seems the vocals on the recording of TLM only have 2 "go"'s (as opposed to the lyrics in the liner notes having 3), the only possible answer (hehehe) is that they changed it up in the final album take. Finally finding the alternate version of TLM might prove that.

Lon the Fisherman has wooden legs, but real feet.

Edited by - apl4eris on 01/18/2005 11:34:09
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  11:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geertos
Also, the song SPLHCB occured twice on that album, there was a short reprise of it near the end. So, bearing in mind the "this song is twice occured"-mystery, maybe the Pixies also had the idea to reprise TLM the end, e.g. introducing the final masterpiece Motorway, just like the reprise of SPLHCB introduced A Day in the Life. Just my little theory. But I believe it would have worked brilliantly.

that would have been cool. interesting theory. i think you could be on to something..

i think the title of this song doesn't have much to do with the song itself, because they named it that after naming the album Trompe Le Monde. just for purposes of trying to unravel the mystery

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  12:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes i would agree. maybe there is a connection between tlm and motorway to roswell.

tlm
...and now its time to go
away on holiday.

motorway
...last night he could not make it
on a holiday
for many miles

love the fb mystery

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  19:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did ya know that many one-off spy messages (codes used only once and therefore more difficult to de-code) are written on ONION skins (really thin paper)!

another wrinkle...

by the way, about the shortwave numbers stations, do a googlesearch for The Conet Project and then go check out this link:
http://irdial.hyperreal.org/the%20conet%20project/

maybe the codes mean that FB is releasing three new albums in 05 and playing my independence day bar-b-que...
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  19:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can i come to the barbecue? i'll bring coronas

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  20:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for all the good teamwork.

Ok I was wondering. You know how part of it says sos. Do you think that means that there might be a code in the notes-- kinda like a morse code.

I looked at Motorway, there does seem to be a linkage. But nothing obvious code wise jumped out.

I also looked at Holiday song-- another Pixies song with holiday-- again nothing obvious.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 01/18/2005 20:22:23
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  20:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and maybe to get a better understanding of the song you need to get a better understanding of the entire album. i have always wondered why the song lyrics in the album are not in the same order as the tracks on the album. hmmm. in a way it seems like a little story book. and what about the album cover with the eyeballs. so many questions.

on an aside, it is very interesting reading the alec eiffel lyrics and then comparing it all the recent pixies hype. from what i gather about the alec eiffel tune is that alexander eiffel (the architect) designed the eiffel tower but at the time the french didn't want it (sometimes people can be oh so dense/ they didn't want it but he built it anyway). but then as time passed people fell in love with the eiffel tower. kind of like he was ahead of his time just like frank and the pixies.

Go to Top of Page

geertos
- FB Fan -

Belgium
158 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  07:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

maybe there is a connection between tlm and motorway to roswell.

tlm
...and now its time to go
away on holiday.

motorway
...last night he could not make it
on a holiday
for many miles

Hey, I didn't realize that myself, but thanks for supporting my theory :)

Still thinking about "this song is twice occured"... Two songs that Frank covered, occured twice on their original album:
- White album: two (Wild) Honey Pie's! (and also two Revolutions btw)
- Pet Sounds (extanded version): Hang on to your ego (bonus track) is the same song as "I know there's an answer". I also remember the clip for Frank's Hang on to your ego had subtitles mentioning all this "twice occuring on Pet sounds"-trivia. And wasn't it rumoured that this cover was intended for TLM?

At least, this should make clear that Frank has some fixation on songs that occur twice on an album.

But on the other hand, I could also just mean that the words "this song" occur twice, like apl4 pointed out.

Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  18:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"and the words
are the letters of the words
said
electrically played"

the first thing that came to my mind is that the sheet music might provide some meaning. but i'm sheet music iliterate.

Go to Top of Page

geertos
- FB Fan -

Belgium
158 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  06:39:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, like I said, I believe the lyrics of TLM-the-song are more a reference to TLM-the-album-as-a-whole. The song is called after the album anyway, so it's a song about the upcoming album you're listening to.

So, if he sings "the words are the letters of the words", I think you should investigate the 14 next tracks to find some wordplay, not TLM-the-song. He won't be that obvious to give away the clue in the song itself, will he? That would be like Ana having a seventh line, where he sings "Oh by the way, take the first letter of each line and you might be surprised to find a word"

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  10:05:33  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think from your winky that you are kidding geertos, but if not, BF is quoted in an interview as saying he titled it "Ana" because it was an "anagram" (which might be considered a hint). Either he was joking around on multiple levels, or he really did get acrostics and anagrams mixed up when he came up with the title.

As far as the song TLM referencing the whole album as opposed to it being self-referential, it might be possibly serving both purposes. I still think there is a mixed acrostic in it though. I'm stubborn that way. ;) I'm curious to see how he might be referencing the rest of the album. I haven't looked closely at any of the other songs.

Lon the Fisherman has wooden legs, but real feet.

Edited by - apl4eris on 01/20/2005 10:07:45
Go to Top of Page

Perk
- FB Fan -

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  23:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trompe le Monde played backwards is just like the
Beatles.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  11:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok just wanted to say hi and I got my TLM CD. I am going thru the liner notes for the first time since 1991! If any one is out there and wants to make this a team effort that would be fun.

Thanks for the hint fumanbru. I am going to read through the lyrics like a story to see if anything jumps out.

Liner Notes
1. motorway to rosewell
2. the navajo know
3. trompe le monde
4. bird dream of the Olympus mons
5. alec Eiffel
6. distance equals rate times time
7. the sad punk
8. space (i believe in)
9. subbacultcha
10. planet of sound
11. lovely day
12. palace of the brine
13. letter to memphis
14. umass

Actual order:
1. Trompe
2. Planet
3. Alec
4. The Sad Punk
5. Head On
6. U Mass
7. Palace of the Brine
8. Letter to Memphis
9. Bird Dream
10. Space (I Believe in)
11. Subbacultcha
12. D= R * t
13. Lovely Day
14. Motorway to Roswell
15. The Navajo Know

Well, I didn't find anything that really leads me to it. What I tried to do was thinking that the 4, 3, 2, 1 countdown might be correspond to either the songs in the liner notes or in the actual order. I read these and I read all the songs in order and backwards.

Nothing jumped out to me. Except now, that I know that Frank really had a UFO experience, some of thise songs I wonder if they are based on what happend to him vs total science ficiton. The other thing that jumps out at me is he talks alot about the sun too, which may be significant too.

I wish I had a record player or I would play TLM backwards!

Well hopefully some of this might help someone else!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 01/23/2005 12:37:13
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  16:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice work daisy! i don't want to see this thread die now that i've been hooked. when i took english lit back in the day i was never very good at deciphering the underlying meanings of novels- i usually went straight to the coles notes. and frank is a very intelligent songwriter so i'm thinking there's a lot of substance to the album tlm rather than just writing about jiberish.

but i'll throw a few things out there and maybe someone else will get an idea.

obviously there is the full alien theme going on. and the different perspectives of the songs is interesting. motorway, i believe, is from the perspective of a male alien. but then the song switches to "we". "he found this mote/and now we wonder" who is "we". i'm not sure why it changes from he to we. then tlm is about a "she". planet of sound and bird dream is "i". not sure if i'm really getting anywhere.....

i really like the story behind alec eiffel. from what i gather alec was a "pioneer of aerodynamics, ahead of his time." he designed the eiffel tower. they (the french) didn't want it but he built it anyway. "keeping low doesn't make no-sense!" i believe the eiffel tower was the tallest structure at the time and i think the french used it as a radio transmitter as well. but i'm thinking the meaining is that it's a transmitter to outer space- an archway.

and yes, i too always thought, frank's use of the word "sun" or "son" is very interesting. i got the impression he used it in song's when someone died.

in bullet- about his dad (or stepdad?) who passed away.

"You take my place because you are my son

Excuse me now I'll take the sun"

Billy Radcliffe-

"Billy Radcliffe very first one
Really a hatched man a light switch son"

i gotta move - i think it's about jack nance who died.

"And then he stopped to say
Before he went down
This is the worst place in the sun"

the last stand of shazeb andleeb- i think it's about a student who got killed at the high school that frank had attended.

"He had no chance to fight
He ascended into light
Light brighter than the sun"

happy sleuthing.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  20:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fumanbru. That's a lot to chew on thanks for all the background.

Ok here it is. I know it sounds crazy but I have been thinking about it for a good part of the day so here it is. There are many ideas some more random than others-- but I really think there is something to it.

Do you think that TLM could be some kind of a rock opera about aliens and people? (Random thought one).

Trompe Le Monde... is either a story about or actually what the Pixies are doing. It's about sending a signal to outer space. "Electrically played/for outerspace"

The "twice played" makes me think it could mean that it was played before the reunion and during the reunion.

Then "and not its time/to go away on holiday." This could mean a lot of stuff. It could link into Motorway to Rosewell-- the alien that is on holiday. Or, more out there idea could mean the second time when the Pixies play the song-- then Aliens will come and answer the song-- meaning there has been enough time for them to travel from where ever they are to here.

Bird dream of the olympus mons. Could be about the alien after he crashed, trying to get shelter in mount olympus in Greece?

Motorway to Rosewell, I do agree Fumanbru that it's persepective is that of an Alien. That alien was supposed to go to a party but he crashed-- and was captured. He was put into crates and photographed. Which makes sense that Rosewell occurs here-- maybe be named after some of the aliens thought to be captured/killed there.

Fumanbru I can't agree with you more about Alec Eifel. It does look like a space ship and given your clue that it was used as a radio tower-- that that might have been the place where the first "electonic signals" were sent to outerspace.

Oh here are some other suspected ties.

The sad punk talks about extinction. "I want to feel/the road of tar beneath the wheel named extinction" This may or may tie to Motorway... and just could talk about humans or even an alien race becoming extinct.

Space I believe in... obviously fits here... but not pulling out a hidden meaning. There might be something hidden here code wise with d=r*t and jeferey with one f being repeated so much, but I don't know.

Subbacultcha... this might have some kind of hidden meaning because of "this is a song about something there/ there is something about this song.

Planet of Sound sounds like an alien and his travels... perhaps the same one in Motorway.

Lovely Day could be about the Earth... or It could be about Mars "riding down these dry canals/oh baby it's not euroupe/... so you can be my martain honey all the day"

Well those are the ones that jump out at me in terms of songs that may have a hidden meaning, it's just going to be how to find it if there is one.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 01/23/2005 21:02:01
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  17:00:37  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Bird dream of the olympus mons. Could be about the alien after he crashed, trying to get shelter in mount olympus in Greece?

I think Frank has made it clear that this is about Olympus Mons on Mars, the tallest volcano in the solar system.

quote:
Planet of Sound sounds like an alien and his travels... perhaps the same one in Motorway.

The alien in this song is searching for the source of a broadcast that originated on Earth. He visits Mars ("somewhere renowned for its canals and color red") before arriving here. The "guy in a rover" might possibly be on the Moon.

quote:
Lovely Day could be about the Earth... or It could be about Mars "riding down these dry canals/oh baby it's not euroupe/... so you can be my martain honey all the day"

I get the impression that this one is about a guy who's planning on going to Mars and leaving his girlfriend behind, but will eventually send for her.

"Reunion? Shit union!"
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  21:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks VoVat!!!

Thanks for putting all that time into it!!

I am just wondering if there is a seceret meaning to it all. If it is-- it's not one of those just scratch the surface and you'll figure it all out. More like a complex X Files case, which we know Frank loves that show.

It's fun trying to dig around for this but I am just wondering if there is a secret meaning at all.

It's hard to tell if all of these things are just a theme... or actual clues to something else!

Skully, Mulder were are you? We need you!!
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  00:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
motorway, lovely day, planet of sound, bird dream, letter to memphis, even subbacultcha... there are a lot of songs on this record which are about TRAVELLING to/and/or remote destinations.
as it i said in the song TLM, "and now it's time to go away on holiday". and the next song (planet) is about space travelling.

just a thought.

(sorry, if traveLLing should be spelled traveLing, but i don't know).

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Mad Lucas
- FB Fan -

Australia
142 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  05:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where does Head On fit into this?

Turn me on dead man!

The Organic Anti-Beat Box Boy
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  17:30:24  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
motorway, lovely day, planet of sound, bird dream, letter to memphis, even subbacultcha... there are a lot of songs on this record which are about TRAVELLING to/and/or remote destinations.

Yeah, but there are a lot of songs like that on EVERY Frank album.

quote:
Where does Head On fit into this?

Well, see, "the dirty part of town" is actually on Mars. {g}

Seriously, though, I guess there is sort of a space theme in the line "makes you want to blow the stars from the sky."

"Reunion? Shit union!"
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  17:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
based on some of the other comments i was thinking that maybe there's 5 or 6 songs that tie together in a short tragic sci-fi story- tlm, alec eiffel, bird dream, planet of sound, lovely day, motorway.

a musical message is broadcast out to space. an alien sets out on a holiday, searching for this message. stops at mars then goes to planet earth. an accident happens, U.S. army intervenes, alien ends up in an army crate/coffin. sad sad song.

and then maybe "fool the world" means that us earthlings are the ones fooling the world or fooling ourselves.

Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  07:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Monde' in french means World but also 'people' and 'crowd'.

You are the people

You are apparently fooled

People are people.

Don't forget to bring a towel !!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  21:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your thoughts.

hwolsky thank you for that insight that monde can also mean crowd. Do you thank monde can also mean "fans"?

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  11:36:32  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Fool the people, well, I'll be damned!

"Reunion? Shit union!"
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  16:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i could see frank being big into april fool's jokes. i bet he's got some good ones.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  17:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, definately. :)

I listened to TLM like four times yesterday. I remember thinking somethign I haven't thought of since TLM came out. Do you think that Frank was attemepting to do a themed album similar to Bowies' The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust? Just a thought

But there were some songs that I forgot had stuff going on in the background. I wish I had my record player to listen to it backwards to maybe see if there is a hidden message once and for all.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 01/30/2005 17:30:46
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  19:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
below is from the alec eiffel site. great site! they have a cool section providing explanations/comments on pixies songs with quotes from the man.

TROMPE LE MONDE
BF presented it as a phrase the Pixies manager often used, he could hardly figure out what it meant, but found it sounded good.
Trompe le monde litterally means "fool the world" and could easily be interpreted as "fool everybody". Actually, it looks like two phrases which exist in French, in which they are used as substantives:

A "trompe-la-mort" ("fool the death") is somebody who often risks his life, e.g. a stuntman
A "trompe-l'oeil" ("fool the eye") is a paint which looks like reality when seen far enough.
This second phrase is certainly the real reason for this strange name. This would explain while there are eyeballs on the cover design! BF decided to make the musical equivalent of a trompe-l'oeil: you have an album with an obscure "French" name, whose cover depicts fake eyeballs on a fake snow. Is this a concept album about French aliens (French name, Alec Eiffel, space Eiffel tower motives)?
Is there any concept behind this album, or is it just another joke, a "fool-everybody"?

This has been confirmed by an issue of Melody Maker I recently found: " The LP's title comes from a play on the French phrase trompe l'oeil - a painting technique designed to make the viewer think objects represented are real. "

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000