Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  12:25:03  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The King has granted an audience with anyone who happens to be online at 6 PM EST. The Q&A session will be held here. Anyone is welcome to ask questions, I only ask that you keep it to questions that don't apply specifically and only to you (e.g.: remember taking your picture with me/signing my CD/when we had that brief eye contact in the middle of Bullet?).

This thread will be unlocked shortly before 6 EST (3 PM PST/Forum time). See you then!

NOTE: To keep things orderly, we have a queue in Dave Noisy's inbox. To ask a question to FB, you email him (no need for the question) and you are placed in line. Dave will post when your turn is up.

Click here to ask Frank Black a question.

VERY IMPORTANT Please refersh no more than once per minute so that we don't cut off the server. If people do this, FB should also have an easier time answering. Thank you!

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 10/08/2004 16:30:43

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,
First off, thanks very much for all the years of hard work and heartfelt music. They both mean a great deal to me.

My question: Many longtime Pixies fans absolutely adore "Bossanova" and "Trompe Le Monde," and see them as at least equals to the earlier records. I realize that on their release, some critics slighted them in favor of "Doolittle," but that means very little to us.

However, the setlist for this Reunion Tour so obviously avoids most of that later material, and no one seems to know exactly why that is. Most folks either assume A) that the band was already fracturing by then and that your bandmates felt left out of the creative process (thus causing lingering distaste for those tunes), B) that without a third guitarist or keyboardist, they would be too hard to replicate on stage, or C) that you, yourself, in hindsight simply don't think too much of those albums.

In recent interviews you've pretty much said "Hey, this Reunion Tour is geared toward the people who know us from "Surfer Rosa" and "Doolittle," and we're not gonna come out and play B-sides or obscure cuts for the diehard fans."

Should we take this to mean that this particular tour is being structured this way as more of an introduction to the group's catalog, and that possible future outings might include deeper cuts and oddballs, or rather that we should consider such tunes permanently off-limits for any live Pixies dates?

If you could definitively explain the reason for their absence, and the seeming lack of interest in the feelings of the hard-core fanbase, that would be most appreciated. From a listener's standpoint, it just seems like a real waste to sidestep so many wonderful and idiosyncratic songs, when there's more than enough room for a handful of them in each set.

See you Wednesday in Atlanta.

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:09:28  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In a recent interview you said that you had gotten into classical music..what are some of your favorite pieces and/or who are your favorite composers?
I can imagine you doing a classical song in the style of Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles, actually.

You are a hero in my eyes and your art is appreciated by many. Your music inspired me to start playing guitar/write my own music and it's truly been a life-saver. Also - I was at the show in Columbus and it was spectacular! Anyways, thankyou so much for reading and (hopefully) answering!

Your fan,
Nathan Gepper

PS: We miss Bossanova and Trompe le Monde!
PPS: Honeycomb is brilliant so far.

"Freedom is a state of mind and the condition and position of your ass. Free your mind and your ass will follow." - Funkadelic

Edited by - TheCroutonFuton on 10/08/2004 15:12:05
Go to Top of Page

fudd
= Cult of Ray =

664 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best show of the tour so far, from your perspective and the fans'?
Go to Top of Page

LBF1976
= Cult of Ray =

269 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is Bone Machine usually the opening song on this tour?

Floops quesedillas zijn te vergelijken met het likken van fatsige Albert's aars nadat hij een fles laxeermiddel heeft leeggedronken.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:09:50  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gotta know...Did you get inspired by my username?

So often people think they grasp reality when what they're really responding to is "Fakeositude."
Go to Top of Page

toeknee
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
281 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:09:57  Show Profile  Click to see toeknee's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank!

Have you ever been to the Yorkshire Dales in England? It is a very beautiful place to walk. I thought I might have seen you (maybe I was deluding myself).

George.
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Charles,first of all,many thanks on sparing us a moment of your time and HUGE congratulations on your first child.
When are you expecting him/her?Any ideas for a name yet?Craig's a nice name for a boy.Just an idea...

Shemales have rights too...
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, let me first say that I am a huge fan of your music, as you can probably tell just by the fact that I have more than 1000 posts on your message board. Anyways, I have a suggestion for an excellent way to promote your solo career at Pixies shows. remember how you usually play a few Pixies numbers at your solo shows? Well, why not play a couple of solo numbers at the Pixies shows? I know what your thinking--this is a reunion tour, it's not just uber-fans, they only want to hear the hits, etc.--but nobody is going to start throwing tomatoes if you cut into Western Star or Hermaphroditos in the middle of the set. To the contrary, they are going to be like, what is this great new song and where can I hear it on a record, then they'll go out and buy Dog in the Sand or whatever. And what better place to promote Honeycomb than at a Pixies concert with 5000 people in attendence; you're bound to win at least some people over and the worst that could possibly happen is you would increase record sales. So why not give it a shot? For all of us that love the Pixies, but at the same time can't help but miss the Catholics.

Also, I'll be seeing you guys two, possibly three times next week (Atlanta and Birmingham). I know it's a long shot, but is there any chance you could play my favorite Pixies song, Motorway to Rosswell? I know you probably don't remember how to play it, but I'll be sitting right up in the middle of the balcony and I could make gigantic cue cards with lyrics and chords on them. PLEASE!

P.S. I'm really looking forward to Honeycomb and Frank Black Francis!

¡Viva los Católicos!

Edited by - NimrodsSon on 10/08/2004 15:13:47
Go to Top of Page

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Charles, I'm Andrés I'm from Chile, you know, Southamerica. Well, first of all sorry about my english, I'm trying to do my best. Well thanks a lot for playing with the Pixies again you're making a lot of people happy all over the world. I have a lot of questions to make but I don't have to be so selfish, I'll try to speak for all the Latinamerican fans, is there any chance that the Pixes can come to Latinamerica to play some shows, you know, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, you have a lot of fans down here, I mean thousands, and we're all waiting for you, it would be like a dream coming true. We hope you can come here to play some gigs, last year Kim and her band played some shows here and they had a lot of fun, by the way could you say hi to Kim, maybe she remembers me. Thanks a lot and have fun!
Andrés, Chile
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, Frank. We missed you. I have but two simple questions: can we expect a big tour when Honeycomb comes out? And what are your thoughts about it being leaked and available for download so early? I'll see you tomorrow night in Boca, and congrats on the little bambino!

Edited by - dayanara on 01/11/2005 17:47:53
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:10:35  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Charles - thanks for all the music! Do you have any solo (ie. non-Pixies) touring plans for the next year or so, and if so, will the Catholics be your backing band?

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:10:58  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What scenario do you often find yourself in when writing a song? Do you purposefully create a space to work, or do you write as you go? Do your songs show up in your dreams?

Thank you!

Edited by - apl4eris on 10/08/2004 15:12:01
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:11:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank, have you (or anyone in your band) had a chance to listen to the tribute albums yet? See you Dec 18... I'm coming to NYC from Saskatoon.

Go to Top of Page

adda flea
- FB Fan -

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any chance I'm ever going to hear anything from Pistolero? Your bus broke down before the show in San Juan Capistrano that night and I've never heard any of this album on subsequent tours.
Go to Top of Page

SpudBoy
= Cult of Ray =

Equatorial Guinea
649 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:13:28  Show Profile  Visit SpudBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Could you describe your lyric writing process?

Thank you

*festoon*
Go to Top of Page

monitormodule
- FB Fan -

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey-Just Curious if you have had a chance to listen to Smile by Brian Wilson and if so what you thought about it? See both nights in Atlanta-thanks for many years of entertainment!
Go to Top of Page

KimStanleyRobinson
* Dog in the Sand *

1972 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dig.

Frank- Head On was the only tune for encore in Columbus.

How do you decide how many tunes to do for an encore? We were certainly wanting more...naturally.

thanks...a fan since 88.

KSR

Edited by - KimStanleyRobinson on 10/08/2004 15:21:56
Go to Top of Page

My Velouria
- FB Fan -

France
93 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Charles,

I've travelled a lot to see lots of your gigs all across Europe and really thank you so much to keep providing us such nice and original music without nfalling into commercial stuffs !
Anyway, would it be possible you play some of your solo songs with the Pixies? If not, please tell me you'll be back on stage with your personal songs, whoever will play with you, they are so great !
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:17:14  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all, let's try and keep this under control.

Any questions after this posting will be deleted, until FB responds. Please allow him to respond to several of the above postings before posting any more questions.

ALSO: Please try to refresh the page every minute or so, the server can only handle so much..

ALSO 2: We will be enforcing the 5 question rule as outlined above now. Please try to be respectful.

Thanks everyone! =)

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:24:45  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We'll look at that. I just hope he actually shows up or we'll look quite the fools. :)

Also, the 5 question rule: No more than 5 unanswered questions at a time. If FB doesn't answer one but answers the next, we will count the skipped as answered. Excess will be deleted as fast as we can to keep it under control.

Go to Top of Page

My Velouria
- FB Fan -

France
93 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An easy one : WHY DIDN'T YOU PLAY END OF MILES DURING YOUR LAST TOUR (EXCEPT A VERY FEW TIMES)? THIS IS ONE OF YOUR BEST SONG EVER !!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:35:08  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I should also ask that people not post a question that has been asked already, even if FB skipped it. Thanks for your cooperation guys, this is going great so far!

Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:36:21  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all, i'm going to try another variation of this...

If you want to post a question, please send me an email.

Click on the 'Email Poster' icon at the top of my message here. This will establish a proper 'line up'. What i'll do is 'call out' people's names when there is space for new questions.

When you see me 'call out' your name, then you can post a new question. I hope this will be the best method to allow everyone to ask FB a q, and not flood the area. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:44:11  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Levitated, rita, toeknee - please feel free to post your questions.

All others will be deleted until i 'call out' another set of names.

If you'd like to post a question to FB, send me a 'Private Email' by clicking on the icon above. No need to send me your question, by the way. I'm doing this to establish a fair line-up.

Any other questions will be deleted. Thanks! =)

Go to Top of Page

toeknee
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
281 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:46:15  Show Profile  Click to see toeknee's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Who will you be voting for in the US Elections (if anyone.)

Are you a politically motivated kinda guy?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Frank Black, Is there any chance when you have your next tour to come to this little corner in Europe called Portugal? You have many fans here, and I think we only had the opportunity to saw you solo once...so I beg you to don´t forget us, please!
And I must thank you very much for making me so happy when I listen to your music, thanks for giving us such a good work for so long time!
My two kids grew up listening to your music and they love it! I´m so proud!
Congratulations for you and Violet!

"I´ve been right and I´ve been wrong, now I´m back where I started from, I never looked over reality´s shoulder,Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha."
Go to Top of Page

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Charles, I'm Andrés I'm from Chile, you know, Southamerica. Well, first of all sorry about my english, I'm trying to do my best. Well thanks a lot for playing with the Pixies again you're making a lot of people happy all over the world. I have a lot of questions to make but I don't have to be so selfish, I'll try to speak for all the Latinamerican fans, is there any chance that the Pixes can come to Latinamerica to play some shows, you know, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, you have a lot of fans down here, I mean thousands, and we're all waiting for you, it would be like a dream coming true. We hope you can come here to play some gigs, last year Kim and her band played some shows here and they had a lot of fun, by the way could you say hi to Kim, maybe she remembers me. Thanks a lot and have fun!
Andrés, Chile
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:51:43  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
kathryn, Frog in the Sand and lofisci - please post your questions!

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:53:40  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bonjour le Roi,

How and when did you get the idea of recording such an ambitious album as Honeycomb?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:55:48  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
fbforever, monitormodule and glacial906 - please feel free to post your questions!

All others will be deleted until i 'call out' another set of names.

If you'd like to post a question to FB, send me a 'Private Email' by clicking on the icon above. No need to send me your question, by the way. I'm doing this to establish a fair line-up.

Any other questions will be deleted. Thanks! =)

Go to Top of Page

lofiscifi
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it made me smile when i saw that watt would be opening one of the new york shows for the pixies.

just curious, what’s your relationship w/ watt? friend? admirer?

any chance of him popping up as a player on the rumored honeycomb 2nd disc?

- lofiscifi
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Charles - don't worry about your email, i'm getting people to email me to get them queued up fairly, otherwise there will be hundreds of messages here, and it'll get *really* laggy!

Nice to see you here, by the way. =)

Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  15:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank,

I guess you're gone now, but I have to post my question and comment.
Did you have any particular musician(s) in your life when you were younger that you were as hung up with as we are with you?

I hope to see you at a show sometime, hell, who knows, maybe even get a pic with you.

I just would like you to know that your music will one day be the old, un-cool and hopelessly outdated music that my daughter will tell her friends that her Dad is obsessed with here in about 15 or 16 years. (Puh-leaze read that carefully; it was not meant as an insult at all! You are going to have a kid; you will understand!)

What could be better than a swan dive into the asphalt?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  16:05:41  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry monitormodule, accidentally deleted yours, please post again.

Also, a reminder to please not refresh more than once/min. It makes it easier for FB to post and is would really suck if the server crashed and this was cut short.

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  16:09:26  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When will Frnck Blck find us again? :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000