Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

humbert humbert
- FB Fan -

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  17:45:30  Show Profile
i wonder if "adda lee" has anything to do with the poem "annabel lee." i think it is by edgar allen poe.
Go to Top of Page

Kingnickmalt
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2002 :  07:01:58  Show Profile
Bullet: Did I dream this:-
Apparently this referrs to an incident that took place after his father had died. Frank and his brother discovered a locked up garage/unit/closet in which they found a collection of guns with "a single bullet loaded in each one." The existence of the guns had been unknown up until that one.

I'm almost certain I read this somewhere in an interview or an article. If its not true I apologise profusely for the relaying of it.

What is a signature????
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2002 :  08:20:32  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kingnickmalt

Bullet: Did I dream this:-
Apparently this referrs to an incident that took place after his father had died. Frank and his brother discovered a locked up garage/unit/closet in which they found a collection of guns with "a single bullet loaded in each one." The existence of the guns had been unknown up until that one.

I'm almost certain I read this somewhere in an interview or an article. If its not true I apologise profusely for the relaying of it.

What is a signature????

During the 2001 tour, when Charles spoke to the crowd, right before he played Bullet he would tell us what it was about. What you heard is close enough without getting ultra technical and all.

Thomas

"It's the Nexus of the Crisis"
BÖCswu
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2002 :  22:14:06  Show Profile
I think I have also heard that particular story about bullet in an interview he did with Sook Yin Lee before the show in Hamilton at the Casbah. He did explain about that song in detail but you have it in a nutshell.

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

Buttercup! Bubbles! Let's go!
Go to Top of Page

Solidgld
- FB Fan -

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2002 :  22:56:40  Show Profile
Yeah that right he said it here too. Solid Gold is about the 405 freeway driving in traffic here in Los Angeles. I have been able to see him play always solo accustic at a place called McCabes he always says what each song means before he play it. The first time I saw him there he played alot of stuff that had never been heard like 666, Skeleton Man and this John Candy Song still don't know which one that was that was in 96'. Now that this thread was started I can't listen to any FB sound without reading into it. :)
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  09:53:54  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
John Candy song = At The End of The World, a B-Side found on Oddballs and either the Headache single or I Don't Want To Hurt You single (I think)
Go to Top of Page

Solidgld
- FB Fan -

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  11:03:09  Show Profile
El Barto - Thanks I'll try to find it my roommate and I always talk about that show/song. I have the grey Headache single and two versions on I don't want to hurt you single one reg, one live its not there I guess I'll buy Oddball (the only FB CD I don't have).
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  11:54:14  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Maybe it's on the red Headache single...I have that one and one of the I Don't Want To Hurt You singles. I'm out of town right now and I'm just going from memory, but I swear I have it on a legit CD.
Go to Top of Page

Bohemoth
- FB Fan -

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  13:55:15  Show Profile
I have a jap version of teenager with an extra 3 inch CD with six songs at the end of the world is one of them. the version on this and the old B-side version is mixed different and don't have the "1,2,3" at the begining.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  17:55:44  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Yeah, it's a different mix than the Oddball's version. The version on Oddballs has more a prominant acoustic guitar in it.
Go to Top of Page

johndietzel
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
464 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  19:18:43  Show Profile  Visit johndietzel's Homepage
I know a 2-disc recording of that McCabes from 1996 is floating around. It's all of the first show and most of the late show.

----------------------
"Liam Neeson backwards is broken English empty post office box."
Go to Top of Page

Solidgld
- FB Fan -

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  21:58:31  Show Profile
Really I would love to hear it. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Bohemoth
- FB Fan -

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2002 :  08:04:41  Show Profile
I have that boot with the entire late show too. frank plays like 40 or more different songs solo. and talks alot about them too. good quality boot
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2002 :  21:47:54  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage
i want that.

-dan
Go to Top of Page

GarlicSoul
- FB Fan -

36 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  09:31:02  Show Profile  Visit GarlicSoul's Homepage
Back to the Ten Percenter/Iggy Pop thing:

Two Spaces even pointed out to me that Cotton Mouth is a side effect of Percocet.
Go to Top of Page

idle_hands
- FB Fan -

Chile
53 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  08:54:04  Show Profile
back to Los Angeles:

there's a chance that the other Los Angeles Frank refers to is in southern Chile. I might be wrong cause I'm not aware if there's a city named Los Angeles in Argentine patagonia, but certainly Chile's Los Angeles is not exactly in south patagonia... actually is not even close to north patagonia... he missed the patagonia for about 500km... but he makes a good point though, Los Angeles is a small town, very quiet, clean air ... quite boring if you like...

one of the things I enjoy the most of that song is that although Frank tries to pronounce Los Angeles as in spanish, with a hard G, he keeps on mispronouncing it like if it was "Los Angueles", and it sounds soo strange
Go to Top of Page

alec_eiffel
- FB Fan -

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  23:18:14  Show Profile
California Bound-
totally just guessing, but i figure this song is about well the dust bowl in the early 20th century and the california migration, and may also have to do with Steinbecks "The Grapes of Wrath" with all the dying and "putting in the ground", im probably totally off here though
Go to Top of Page

GarlicSoul
- FB Fan -

36 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2003 :  23:43:41  Show Profile  Visit GarlicSoul's Homepage

The Marsist
http://www.msss.com/education/facepage/face.html
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  10:32:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by humbert humbert

i wonder if "adda lee" has anything to do with the poem "annabel lee." i think it is by edgar allen poe.

i read in an interview around the time of self-titled FRANK BLACK that it was about a relative of his that had died recently. he didn't want to talk about it much..

i wondered about that poem too..

by the way, stay away from those 14 year olds Humbert..

i occasionally eat chateaubriand.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  10:36:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Solidgld

Yeah that right he said it here too. Solid Gold is about the 405 freeway driving in traffic here in Los Angeles. I have been able to see him play always solo accustic at a place called McCabes he always says what each song means before he play it. The first time I saw him there he played alot of stuff that had never been heard like 666, Skeleton Man and this John Candy Song still don't know which one that was that was in 96'. Now that this thread was started I can't listen to any FB sound without reading into it. :)

solidgld,

me too. i think i've seen Frank play at McCabes every time he's been there. including the very first time (and my first show seeing him), back in 91 before Trompe came out.

it's my absolute favorite place to see him. and you're right, he usually does give more insight about songs at those solo shows.. but he's usually more chatty and friendly in general at a solo gig, which is one of the reason why it's my favorite way to see him.

Go to Top of Page

Solidgld
- FB Fan -

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  00:09:11  Show Profile
Floop-

You must know then Roy Zimmerman?
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  00:23:47  Show Profile
quote:

Floop-

You must know then Roy Zimmerman?

um, no.. i don't. who's that?

Go to Top of Page

CPL5938
- FB Fan -

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  11:25:44  Show Profile
Quick note..
Many of Franks lyrics are easy to look up such as Humbolt County Massacre(Native Americans in California), The St Francs Damn Disaster(Mulholland's damn that broke), Llano del Rio (Commune, Huxley lived there for a while) etc. Alot of his stuff these days that is about "stuff", like those mentioned, is about California it seems.
- Black Rider (Tom Waits cover)
- Valentine and Garuda: Gaurda is a half man half bird from eastern religions. Some info can be found here: http://www.khandro.net/mysterious_garuda.htm
And matches up with the lyrics.
- End of miles sounds like it's about a guy that made the trip across the US in the 1800's. But I suppose it could be present day.He did say in an article it's about finding himself always coming back to California. He has lived there many times since childhood.
- True Blue sounds like it's about Opium. A Narghile is a Turkish Pipe. And isn't true blue, or deep blue or something like that a slang term for Opium?
21 Reasons is about the colonization of California...The 21 missions that were set up.
-His Kingly Cave is some people eatting mushrooms. He said in an interview that he and his girlfriend (this was along time ago) Thought it would be cool to take some shrooms and visit Graceland..they did, and called the experience "uptight"
-Heloise was a nun. Some people have written about this on the site already.
-Czar: John Denver
-1826 May be a reference to the book The Last of the Mohicains? It was released that year, and the book has a Native American sound. This I'd like to know for sure. Or another California history lesson? Durant sent his men out to burn a Cosumne village in that year. Other Mission stories possible also.
-Robert Onion is about Robert Zubrin
-85 weeks is Capt Beefheart.('Once Eric said' Eric is Eric Drew Feldman I believe)
- Hang on to your Ego is a Beach Boys cover from Pet Sounds and not the version they went with, it's an alternate version. The lyrics Frank used are from the orginal I believe, the released version by the Beach Boys is called 'I know there's an answer'.
-Romona Sing is the Ramones
-Ten Percenter is I believe Iggy Pop.
- Remake/Remodel is a Roxy Music Cover...CPL5938 Was Brian Ferry's license plate on his cr at the time...he just threw it in to the chorus :D
- End of the World is about John Candy
- Bad Wicked World - The Invaders (TV SHOW, possibly British about Aliens and UFOs)
- Big Red: Terraforming Mars
- Calistan So Cal(Southern California) I think The change Pollution etc? It used to be...now it's this mess. Type of thing...
-Ole Mulholland - Terraforming So Cal! :D Mulholland built the dams that powered and gave water to So Cal...So it's talking about how it grew up out of the sand and is now a population center.
-Pie in the Sky The sun...light...expansion of the universe, and take take some time to think about it. Pretty plain.
-Speedy Marie is about a character or film actor I think. The last 14 lines of the song spell "JEAN MARIE WALSH" though. So I suppose it could be his WIFE! She does act. (Had a bit part is a lyric)
- Suprabound The first part is about a Freak Show. The old Carni Freak shows. He mentions PT Barnum also. And how nothing is satisfing or surprising anymore to us anymore...
- Hostest with the Mostest - the Mall Craze...of the 80's early 90's here in the states, where as kids we'd hang out.
- Two Reelers is the complete and condensed story of The 3 Stooges...
- What ever happened to Pong? It's right there in the title. Pong.
- White Noise Maker - Though a White noise maker is to drown out sounds so one can sleep better...he's wanting to drown out all the sounds...he talks about the Telstar satellite, and the radio etc...
- Dance war...Mosh pit. Some of Cult of Ray is the Angry "Misunderstood" Teen thing...Jesus Was Right seems to be from that POV also.
- Men in Black - The GMen.
- The Cult of Ray. Ray Bradbury
- The Marsist - the geological feature on Mars that looks like a face

Though it's hard to know what to believe sometimes in some of his interviews, he seems to have a who cares/what does it matter attitude at times, which I could see being the same way I suppose when you are doing a crop ton of them before every show...after ever cd is out...and depending who the interviewer is. I imagine there are some like anyone else, that are just jerks, but Frank has said he will find a name he likes, such as Heloise, then plug it in to a search engine for lyric ideas. So I imagine that is how we get some of this cool stuff to learn about. The California stuff is probably common knowledge to him as he has been exposed to it most of his life. He also has said in some interviews that he doesn't read much, which I find hard to believe given the eclectic mix of topics given, and word choice. Even since the Pixies(yeah I'm old to you young'ns, 29, and even got to see them a few times too), it is a given for me that I will learn something new or at least learn a new word (or usage) from a buying a CD he wrote. With out him I would have never heard of the movie Eraserhead, known about the St Francis Dam, or what a Narghile was...never would have listened to Doug Sahm, Desmond Dekkar,or any of the other more obscure musicians he mentions, and I have seen Dick Dale many times since hearing him talk about the Surf god in the Pixie years, as well as many other cool little things. And being that I'm a curious person especially regarding Music and finding out about different artists( I like most of us here, I imagine, play instruments so I'm in to alot of different stuff..most recently I stumbled across a guy by the name of Nick Drake that has some interesting work, but he's long since gone from this world.) and I love trivia, nothing like a bunch of usless facts clogging up the synapses..(and I wonder how different musicians that actually write GOOD lyrics come up with ideas), I'm thankful he always gives me a little taste of something to research and go 'hmm that's pretty cool, wonder why I've never heard of that before'... I grew up in South Florida, music was every where and there was a variety of it...I have lived on 'the planet' Ohio for 5 years now, and find myself turning people on to the Pixies and Frank all the time, and wonder how they've never heard of him before, they now buy the records too. :D I wish he stopped in Cincinnati more often but I do understand, the music scene is pretty bleeeeek here though it is has a great deal of music history (Every thing from James Brown to Roy Rogers! LOL). So I travel to see him play when I can...

Hope they enjoy the thrill of the 'mobile' studio and crank out a CD a month, or as soon as spin art will let them! :D It gives me something to read about that he found interesting enough to say a few words about. He's one of very few artist that are around today that I enjoy. Integrety is sparse in today's music world. Thanks Frank!

Edited by - CPL5938 on 01/21/2003 20:26:13
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  11:37:40  Show Profile
mmm.... some interesting ideas. thanks for that.

There may be no 'I' in team, but there's a 'ME' if you look hard enough.
Go to Top of Page

Solidgld
- FB Fan -

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  00:31:51  Show Profile
Floop -

He opened/played split show with Frank at McCabes twice frank played a song then he played a song they switched back and forth. Once in 1999 and 2000 I think.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  09:02:36  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Valentine and Garuda (The only references to those names I have found look like Japanese Anime).

Garuda is a Hindu bird god. Since Frank tells Garuda to "turn my hands into wings," he might well have been aware of this.

quote:
Robert Onion is about a math/physics/astromomer type guy, I'm trying to remember his name...I'll find it later.

Robert Zubrin. This song is another acrostic, like Speedy Marie. I don't know anything about him, but the acrostic comes out as "Robert 'The Case for Mars' Zubrin 4,3,2,1." I think "The Case for Mars" is something Zubrin wrote.

quote:
The Cult of Ray. Robert Raymond Metallurgist.

Not Ray Bradbury, then?

Nathan
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  09:51:32  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
CPL5938, click here for interesting speculation on 1826 by WPater. (Maybe I just like it coz it confirms my own suspicions.)

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=236
Go to Top of Page

CPL5938
- FB Fan -

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  10:26:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by VoVat

quote:
Valentine and Garuda (The only references to those names I have found look like Japanese Anime).

Garuda is a Hindu bird god. Since Frank tells Garuda to "turn my hands into wings," he might well have been aware of this.

Yes I agree with that after further research. My initial and short search on this found animi characters Valentine and Garuda that looked a little like flying mechs. But I found this today:

Garuda is king of the class of beings known as suparnas. To demonstrate and share his profound understanding of the lure of a woman with a monk who was having difficulty with his vow of celibacy, the Buddha is said to have recounted his own experience as King of the "sunbirds" who once ruled the Isle of Seruma, a land of nagas.

Other info talked about garuda flying in to space etc. so I agree with this explaination 100%. Pigeon heart lyrics and fligh so high above the earth...and the love interest lyrics etc

quote:
Robert Onion is about a math/physics/astromomer type guy, I'm trying to remember his name...I'll find it later.

Robert Zubrin. This song is another acrostic, like Speedy Marie. I don't know anything about him, but the acrostic comes out as "Robert 'The Case for Mars' Zubrin 4,3,2,1." I think "The Case for Mars" is something Zubrin wrote.

THANKS that's him!

quote:
The Cult of Ray. Robert Raymond Metallurgist.

Not Ray Bradbury, then?

Nathan

I have thought of Bradbury also, the chorus of Melting rocks in to Metal led me to believe it may be about Robert Raymond who wrote a book titled 'Out of the Fiery Furnace: The Impact of Metals on the History of Mankind 'in 91. Other than the books we all read in school, I'm not all that familiar with Bradbury's work or the man, that Frank may be using for his lyrics. Are there any correlations you could share?

I'll update my post, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Visiting Sasquatch
= Cult of Ray =

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  14:46:01  Show Profile
Yea, Frank mentioned that it was about Ray Bradbury. Have no idea which interview I read that in though.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  16:21:21  Show Profile
quote:

Floop -

He opened/played split show with Frank at McCabes twice frank played a song then he played a song they switched back and forth. Once in 1999 and 2000 I think.

never heard about those.. i've seen him 4 times at McCabes by my count. the first in 91 (before Trompe Le Monde) which is still the best show of my entire life. joey joined him half way through and he was so fucking intense on stage i thought he was going to explode. i think this was one of the very first solo shows he ever did..

also saw him around TOTY .. then around COR and recently for the DITS release.

it's definitely my favorite place to see him.. i hope they pop in there before going to Europe. or when they get back.

it's gotta be the smallest venue there is.. like, maybe 75 seats?

Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  20:04:05  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
unrelated note, shouldn't it be "CPL593H"?
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  20:25:33  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Put on some headphones, mister! It's CPL593A! Or not. But I swear, there is no "aitch" sound in the way he sings it.

= )
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  08:26:39  Show Profile
padon my ignorance, but what is cpl... if its from a song i am baffled! cheers

There may be no 'I' in team, but there's a 'ME' if you look hard enough.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  22:40:00  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
It's CPL 593H. It's from 'Remake/Remodel', a Roxy Music song which FB&TC cover. It appears on Roxy's first (self-titled) album, and FB&TC's Oddballs. The lyrics are in the Roxy Music album, so there's no way it's not CPL 593H.
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2003 :  09:29:10  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Oh, yeah? Well . . .your mama! I'll only stop making inane assertions when there is an actual song database to contradict me!

: P
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000