New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mattkendall
- FB Fan -

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  11:03:13  Show Profile  Visit mattkendall's Homepage
What possibly could this song be referring to?

"And when you get blue and you've lost all your dreams, there's nothin' like a campfire and a can full of beans."

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  13:40:29  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
not a clue

Yop
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  13:58:35  Show Profile
I haven't focused on the lyrics yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to tap my foot to it!
Go to Top of Page

johndietzel
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
464 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  23:43:14  Show Profile  Visit johndietzel's Homepage
There are a couple of possiblilities mentioned in a nice review at:
http://www.morphizm.com/recommends/music/frankdevil.html

by Scott Thill aka LBCROXBIOTCH

"When spinning the riff-heavy "1826", you can guess at the context with aplomb -- is it about the Mexican resistance to colonization in Texas or James Fenimore Cooper's Last of the Mohicans, published that same year? -- while you're bobbing your head to its dual guitar solos."

The song strikes me as one written basically as a jam, with lyrics somewhat polished afterwards. Another interpretation avenue might be to study the possibility that the digits 1 8 2 6 might somehow relate to the song's odd timing. Like 18/26 is 9/13 whittled down or 1+8/2+6 is 9/8. I dunno.

"Plain n' simp--the system's a pimp, but I refuse to be a ho."
Chuck D
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  00:43:24  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Well the timing of the song is 5/4 so I guess that's not the answer.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

mattkendall
- FB Fan -

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  14:48:19  Show Profile  Visit mattkendall's Homepage
Yeah, the Fredonian Rebellion occurred in 1826, but the lyrics seem to indicate an "escape", and there wasn't a lot of escaping going on in that rebellion.

That's probably the best guess I can imagine, though.

"And when you get blue and you've lost all your dreams, there's nothin' like a campfire and a can full of beans."
Go to Top of Page

WPater
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  14:11:24  Show Profile
I think the clues come from the other mission songs on BLD - California Bound and 21 reasons.
In 1826 there was rebellion at the Mission San Francisco Solano. The Indians burned, looted and drove out Father Jose Altimira who was about as nasty as they come. He was in fact hated by just about everyone in California at the time, Indians and the political/military. He eventually had to escape by hiding in a ship heading back to Spain. By the accounts I’ve read he was as close to insane as you can get and still function, which I think comes through pretty clear in the song.

I like the connection of the howling Franciscans at the end of California Bound and the insanity of Altimira in 1826.
I think there is a direct reference in 21 –“your insurrection taken down by Monterey” – but this could be wrong because Solano is in Sonoma – hey close enough for me.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000