Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  12:19:40  Show Profile
hey there.
i know a lot of people have been mentioning this but i am going implement it and put forth the idea of us all collabprating and deciphering some of FBs songs. i know a good few of you (especially thomas) have put a lot of effort into acrostics and so on - and this will be pretty good fun as well - especially if we come up with some ridiculous ideas (like los angeles being about insurance hur hur!!)

so there you have it. how about an album a week or something.
whos in?
cheers fellas

when you've got nothing
you've got nothing to lose.

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  12:43:42  Show Profile
I am definately in. I have pondering over my own speculations for ages.
If we are starting with the first FB album.

Czar = John Denver's plight to go into space
Ramona singing = Ramones (the band)
Fu Manchu = ? (only ever heard him intro the song saying....'the next song is about a mustache, a mustache.' ?)
As for the others....? Want to help quench each other's curiosity?

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

Buttercup! Bubbles! Let's go!
Go to Top of Page

zanni67
= Bio Elf =

643 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  14:14:33  Show Profile
I'm in, I'll contribute as best I can.

Zan
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  14:29:46  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Sounds like a welcome diversion. Count me in.
Go to Top of Page

Wahoowa
- FB Fan -

23 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  14:32:42  Show Profile
Fu Manchu is a type of goatee, didn't Mr. Black used to sport one of these back in the day? Am I being to obvious here?

"Frank Black in C'ville! So sweet I crapped my pants!"
Go to Top of Page

alec_eiffel
- FB Fan -

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  18:40:36  Show Profile
interesting story, in humanities class and the teacher starts talking about philosophy and such and the name of peter aber?, im not sure the last name exactly, comes up and she starts saying heres a story about him, he is very influential theologian and could possibly be in line to become the pope. he starts to tutor a girl of 17 named Heloise. Heloise becomes pregnant and they are married in secret and she is sent of to a convent with her only boy, which is her son. so heloises uncle wishes the marriage were made public, but peter wont give in and so the uncle sends a group of thugs to castrate him and so on, so he spends the rest of his life living in monasteries and such. but he and heloise write each other letters where she professes her love saying she loves him more than god and while she was telling this to the class it the new song heloise comes to mind, maybe ill take it to her tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  20:00:59  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
That's the story of Heloise. He talked about it in one of his recent interviews.

www.thebennies.com
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  20:11:42  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Yep, Abelard & Heloise. Their son was named Astrolabe--the "only boy" sent off to be raised by Abelard's family. Heloise became a nun after the castration incident at Abelard's request. A platonic relationship eventually evolved from the earlier physical one. Fun film note: In Being John Malkovich, the John Cusack character is beaten up on the street for performing an Abelard an Heloise puppet show.
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  02:59:46  Show Profile
i am pretty sure that places named after numbers is about black holes - although it seems from here that she was never there - light beams disappear into her blackened hair... i wonder if they reappear. apparently - black holes are also named numerically (i think). she was right there all the time collapsing all the way.
could be wrong...

when you've got nothing
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  03:01:33  Show Profile
oh and by the way - if anyone knows what tossed (instumental version) is about - please let me know! i am stumped!! ha ha
you guys are great. thanks for the help.

when you've got nothing
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  08:45:31  Show Profile
Places named after numbers is definatley about black holes. He mentions it at the Black Is Beautiful show.

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  11:23:17  Show Profile
nice one brendan
cheers fella

when you've got nothing
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  11:38:17  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Let's see. If I remember correctly, Don't Ya' Rile 'Em is about the advent of electric light, and Old Black Dawning is about Biosphere 2.
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  13:10:02  Show Profile
Parry The Wind (one of my personal favourites) I think is about the alien convention which takes place in Roswell, New Mexico each year. The year Frank is writing about is the 50th anniversary of the infamous Roswell alien craft crash!? Not positive, but pretty certain.

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

Go to Top of Page

Billy Radcliffe
- FB Fan -

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  13:40:26  Show Profile  Visit Billy Radcliffe's Homepage
Ten Percenter. Is it about being a SODA JERK or JERKING OFF. I think this is frank being funny while showing us that he can sneak stuff past the old censors.

Goodbye - I'm blowing a kiss to you
So long - Wonderful being you
Good Night - We'll soon be sleeping on the fields of marigold
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  14:20:52  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Radcliffe

Ten Percenter. Is it about being a SODA JERK or JERKING OFF. I think this is frank being funny while showing us that he can sneak stuff past the old censors.

I've always heard that it's an homage to Iggy Pop, though whether in style or content I cannot say.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  15:41:18  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Everything that's been said or speculated here has already been recorded in the song DB I'm working on. it has more information that just what it's about or what it might be about...there's a lot of stuff in there (references, definitions, lyrics, etc. etc.) Maybe if someone were willing to type out lyics in nice form, that would be more of a help. That's what's slowing me down, putting in the lyrics for EVERY song. I have lyrics in for every album up to DITS. If anyone wants to help type them out, please contact me privately and I'll give you details as to what I want.

Edited by - El Barto on 12/06/2002 15:54:00
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  11:05:01  Show Profile
Ten Percenter is a tribute to Iggy, or possibly Frank aspiring to be like his major musical hero - 'I'm trying to be a guy who's hailing from Ann Arbor' (as Iggy does). The ten percenter bit is the notion that we only use about 10% of our total brain capacity - I think the 'soda jerk' bit is a reference to purveyors of a different kind of 'pop' to Iggy. Any additions/corrections will be gratefully received.

And 85 Weeks is about Captain Beefheart - but that has probably already been said elsewhere on the site
Go to Top of Page

Billy Radcliffe
- FB Fan -

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  18:32:43  Show Profile  Visit Billy Radcliffe's Homepage
We SHOULD post these songs on this site somewhere ONE AT A TIME as each meaning is verified and complete. There are at least 4 different posts re Franks Song meanings and they are all getting lost in these posts.

Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2002 :  12:42:07  Show Profile
i think we are all pretty happy that czar is about john denver going into space... via the russians.

cheers

when you've got nothing
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2002 :  10:02:17  Show Profile
anyone and ideas about two spaces?

when you've got nothing
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2002 :  12:01:52  Show Profile
Not sure, but I always thought it had to do with the return of satellites to earth.

With some frequency
It comes down
Without a sound
And theres today

Maybe?

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2002 :  15:22:33  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
from Gavin's olde song db

"The first part is about going to space, the second part about going to the bottom of the sea. The two spaces being outer space (outside the Earth's atmosphere) and inner space (beneath the surface of the ocean)."

www.thebennies.com
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  11:44:24  Show Profile
What about Adda Lee? Does anyone have any idea as to what Frank is singing about in this song. Someone mentioned a correlation between Adda Lee and Ed? (Ed is Dead) I found an Adda Lee Morgan born in Missouri and died in 1915! Shall I continue my sleuthing or can someone help me out?

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  12:08:56  Show Profile
Frank said that it was about someone who died who was very close to him. I was wondering if it was about the same person as in Ed is Dead - I' not sure if there has been a definitive answer as yet
Go to Top of Page

chipahoyboy
- FB Fan -

112 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  19:50:44  Show Profile
"Pray for the Girls" appears to be about, of all things, The Powerpuff Girls. I believe the monkey in the dream is actually a reference to a character named "Mojo Jojo." And by refererence, I mean that he is using the general term "monkey" for the more specific primate whose name happens to be none other than "Mojo Jojo." When Frank says he is going to talk to the "mayor", this can evidently be none other than the "Mayor of Townsville."

As with all hidden meanings, innuendos, metaphors, and symbolic gestures in songs and verse, I can't be certain if I'm correct in these assumptions. However, I feel I can state, without fear of being in too great of error, that "Pray for the Girls" is more than likely about the "Powerpuff Girls."
Go to Top of Page

zanni67
= Bio Elf =

643 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  08:17:08  Show Profile
I would agree, especially since he says "Monkey in a turban", which Mojo wears, doesn't he?

Zan
P.S. The song was recorded for the PPG CD, so I think that it's specifically meant to be about the PPG's. Once Craig (PPG producer/creator and Frank fan) told us all about how that came about, it's on here somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  08:21:42  Show Profile
yeah that was a cool story
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  04:58:57  Show Profile
old black dawning anyone?

when you've got nothing
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  05:21:16  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage
Old Black Dawning = Biosphere II

*Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  05:37:18  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
All this has been discussed a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away named the AbstractPlain mailing-list. Here's what I have about the self-title album:
- Los Angeles: About other places in America (the continent, not US) called Los Angeles and how it's supposed to be pronounced with a hard "g". ALSO: A man who watches for U.F.O.s on saturday nights.
- I Heard Ramona Sing: The Ramones.
- Hang Onto Your Ego: Beach Boys cover.
- Fu Manchu: About growing a Fu Manchu style moustache. The legend of a Japanese warrior by the same name who could supposedly combine his mental genius and his physical skill together to become an invincible fighting machine. He made Karate Kid look like small potatoes...if he was alive.
- Places Named After Numbers: Black holes.
Czar: About John Denver and how he wanted the Russians to take him into space for $10m.
- Old Black Dawning: About Biosphere II, the sealed habitat project.
- Ten Percenter: About the theory that we only use 10% of our brain capacity. ALSO: "I'm tryin to be a guy who's hailin from Ann Arbor"...Ann Arbor is a city in Michigan, Iggy Pop is from Michigan, although I think he may be from Detroit. But I swear I heard Ten Percenter was about Iggy Pop.
- Two Spaces: There are two unexplored spaces; the cosmos and the sea. The first verse is the human's point of view. The second verse is the point of view of a sea creature.
- Parry the Wind High, Low: apparently about him visiting some Sci-Fi fair with Eric Drew Feldman. I read that in the Mondo 2000 interview.
- Adda Lee: About someone close to FB who died.
- Don't Ya Rile 'Em: About electricity and artificial light that makes the day divided into 2 days, and Frank's wish to live as a hermit without this artificial light.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  06:20:40  Show Profile
thats really excellent Denis.
thanks for the effort fella.

Bazza

when you've got nothing
Go to Top of Page

chipahoyboy
- FB Fan -

112 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  07:44:23  Show Profile
Hey Denis, you left out Brackish Boy. What's that one about? I saw one of the set-lists that said he recently played it in TX. I love that song.
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  12:53:24  Show Profile
Wow, Denis, you've said it all. But... isn't Fu Manchu supposed to be Chinese?

I thought it was a series of early-20th century popular novels by Sax Rohmer. Fu Manchu is a kind of big secret crime boss. Everybody was afraid of the Chinese at the time, so popular fiction reflected that.

There were even movies made about Fu Manchu. Didn't Boris Karloff play the part?

I never heard a reference to Fu Manchu as a Japanese warrior. I must look that up. It is troubling.

~ A guy with no ear ~
Go to Top of Page

2 spaces
- FB Fan -

35 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  00:51:35  Show Profile
I think Ten Percenter is not only referring to Iggy but to his, and general, drug use.

Keeping that in mind think...

letting out the drifting line
sucking syrup and soda (cough syrup)
getting perk (percodan/cet)

you can probably come up with more.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  05:25:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

- Ten Percenter: About the theory that we only use 10% of our brain capacity. ALSO: "I'm tryin to be a guy who's hailin from Ann Arbor"...Ann Arbor is a city in Michigan, Iggy Pop is from Michigan, although I think he may be from Detroit. But I swear I heard Ten Percenter was about Iggy Pop.

Denis

Iggy was born in Ann Arbor, the following is from a virtul rock tour of Ann Arbor, enjoy??!!:

Back Porch Of 1324 Forest Ct.

In the book "I Need More", Iggy talks about having a porch off of his room where he would defecate and let the feces dry up. This went on for some time until he met a woman who was interested in Iggy and wanted to spend the night with him. So he cleaned up the porch and put his bed out there in anticipation of his deflowering which happened later on that evening.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000