Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 It's Finally Official: the Pixies are reuniting!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

model consumer
- FB Fan -

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  18:37:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TheCroutonFuton

Wow. Some people obviously took that for more than it was worth. I was trying to help you understand why some of us are dissapointed by this. It wasn't to complain and cause trouble. I love the Pixies and I can guarantee you that I'll be right in the front singing along with Frank Black Francis with you. I'm happy about it but sad at the same time. Maybe the people who think it's great should stop mocking the people who don't find it too great. You don't see them telling you to shutup. Hypocrites.

Au contraire, mon crouton, I never ever told anyone to shut up.

--
"What's all I listen to? It's all freedom rock!"
Go to Top of Page

Malax
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1340 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  18:42:22  Show Profile
Theres nothing to say that hasn't been said.
Death to the pixies? What a shit title for a best of.

Only I'm allowed to know who the pixies are, I don't want some shitty little turd stood next to me who only knows where is my mind? God damn it.

We are all selfish, you heard it here first

Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue, Sugar Is Sweet...Im Gonna Break Your Face.

Edited by - Malax on 02/03/2004 18:45:59
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  18:53:27  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
Model Consumer...that post wasn't directed towards only you...if you look hard enough *cough it's right there cough* you'll know what I mean.

But yeah...It's only 6:50 PM in Los Angeles right now, so there's still plenty of time for a press schedule to be held. Plenty of time. Hopefully we'll get some images of the whole band together again telling their plans...it should be neat to see how they react to eachother and how they look as a band, hehe.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"

Edited by - TheCroutonFuton on 02/03/2004 19:00:54
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  19:35:55  Show Profile
It's always bugged me, going to see Frank and/or the Catholics and having a-holes screaming the titles of Pixies' songs at the top of their lungs. Like mun chien says, they were tolerating the new material in the hope of hearing Gouge or Monkey. I'm sure they'll be at the Pixies shows.

Edited by - BLT on 02/03/2004 20:05:06
Go to Top of Page

chango
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  19:58:19  Show Profile
i think you're right that a certain percentage of the audience will feel that way... but then there's those of us who really wished we had gotten a u.s. smyt tour before this all went down.
i'm of the mind that this reunion is gonna be really, really great... everyone'll have a good time, shake hands, and go home. frank will go to nashville and record his new record and hopefully we'll get a catholics tour in the fall.
it's like having your cake and eating it, too.
frank's great.
pixies are great.
both of them coexisting in the world is beautiful.

it wasn't anything about anything
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  20:12:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BLT

It's always bugged me, going to see Frank and/or the Catholics and having a-holes screaming the titles of Pixies' songs at the top of their lungs. Like mun chien says, they were tolerating the new material in the hope of hearing Gouge or Monkey. I'm sure they'll be at the Pixies shows. Fuck them.

Yeah, my buddie's like that & it drives me crazy. I unfortunatly haven't had a chance to see FB/Catholics yet & was really hoping for a spring U.S. tour. However, I'm sure I'll go see the Pixies if they play close to home, & god-willing will eventually make it to a FB/Catholics show. I'm really exited about a possible new Catholics/Solo album coming out this year. All in all, I think I feel like a lot of other people do. That it's good,...I guess,...but at the same time it feels a little strange.

BTW-What does everyone think of the Velvet Underground reunion shows in Europe back in the early, mid 90's (I think that's when) Before Sterling Morrison died? It's kind of the same type of thing as the Pixies reunion. At least as far as the brilliance of both bands and the length of time between splitting & reuniting. (although, personally I like Frank's post Pixies stuff tenfold over Lou's post VU albums)

~~Polly-ann drove steel like a man~~
Go to Top of Page

dogjones
- FB Fan -

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  20:34:49  Show Profile
damn...hell...blah...whatever

i have about as much interest in seeing a pixies reunion as i do in geting brain cancer, but damn...let the man make his money. sure, theyve made a bit more loot than a lot of "indie" bands made in thier era, but the last chance to cash in on the pixies without looking like a mid-80s version of the beach boys is drawing damn close.

theyre not young...theyre not old as dirt, either...but they are close to the cusp of having those old songs they sang come off of re-hashed and unbelievable if they wait too much longer.

of course its about money...who cares...let him make it now rather than worry about it 10-20 years from now. anyone remember what happened to great LA punk band TSOL when after a decade of trying to carve a place and make a living playing punk went "glam metal" so they could afford their various lifestyle wants? now THAT is selling out.

frank black's solo stuff has screamed of "this is what i want to do" with enough consistancy that you just cant dismiss him. he's not gonna make enough to retire a multimillionaire off this tour and i, for one, hope getting out and about with old friends will influence his future work in a positive way...the "songs to drink whiskey and lament to" frank black era has run its course for me. it produced some great songs, but frank's solo work has been about progession to the point where you can even tear apart his solo career into 2 distinct eras...here's hoping for 3rd...or at least frank can find some of that happiness again.
Go to Top of Page

darkergreen
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  20:56:40  Show Profile
This tour could be a wonderful chance to finally turn the tables. Now I get to be the annoying guy shouting "ALL MY GHOSTS!" over and over...
Go to Top of Page

dogjones
- FB Fan -

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  21:56:16  Show Profile
hahaha dark!
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  22:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Wow..so many new Members..!

FYI, this site will keep track of whatever projects FB takes on, be it solo, with the Catholics, or the Flying Pigxies. =)

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1013 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  00:43:24  Show Profile
pixies confirmed in austria, see here:

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5206

Death to the Pixies / Here comes Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  07:29:37  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
This is fucking awesome news.

I know where both sides are coming from, both pro- and anti-reunion.

I for one, am 23 years old. Never having seen the Pixies back in their day, this is a dream come true for me. I just hope that they retain their sound, and give it their all.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  08:15:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by darkergreen

This tour could be a wonderful chance to finally turn the tables. Now I get to be the annoying guy shouting "ALL MY GHOSTS!" over and over...

LOL. "ROBERT ONION! PLAY ROBERT ONION!!! FUCKIN' ROBERT ONION!!!"
Go to Top of Page

chango
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  08:26:55  Show Profile
hahaha... that's funny as hell... we should all make a pact to get up as close to the stage as possible and do that shit.
HERMAPHRODITOOOOOOOOOOES!!!!!!!!!!

it wasn't anything about anything
Go to Top of Page

CaptainMaximus
- FB Fan -

126 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  14:01:49  Show Profile
You know, I seldom post here---though I've been a member in one way
afor a while (not one of those dreaded "new-comers"---won't even go into the elitism and preciousness of this)---but recent messages about the imminent reunion
have spurred me to contribute my 2 rubles: face it, it was inevitable guys.
All this whining about a legacy being tarnished is preposterous. Why a
reunion? Because they're in business and they want to make money---lots of
it---and also win new fans. To me, this does not reveal a lack of integrity;
only a knack for business and a dawn of common sense. A reunion ensures
further longevity for everyone involved.

Hey, if it sucks it sucks. Big deal. You still got your old Pixies memories
and the records. That stuff won't change, and neither will the Pixies
long-lasting, pervasive influence.

I saw the Pixies the first time around in 1991. They were and are still my
favorite band. Will I see them again? You bet. Will it be the same? Of
course not, but who cares?

It's a band, and it's pop music.

Edited by - CaptainMaximus on 02/04/2004 14:03:55
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  14:54:20  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
True. Sellouts? Frank Black/the Pixies? I daresay some of you have mistakenly joined the wrong forum. All people involved have sweated it out and have more than earned the right to make it big and make, as the Captain so aptly puts it, lots of money. Would it be preferrential if bands who didn't make good music (or music at all for that matter) were the only ones raking in the bucks? Is it maybe this perplexing conception that "true" artists must be starving that results in the music scene we have today where the radio plays nothing but garbage because that's what we expect?

I can't answer that, but I can tell you I'm more than happy to finally give the Pixies their due even if it is a decade later. I love their music, I love what they're about, and I will thoroughly enjoy seeing them live wherever they might be. Who here will stand and say that Frank hasn't been underappreciated for years? Why, after lamenting at all this, are we adamant that he not get his due now?

So he gets some attention, some appreciation, he rekindles old friendships and they decide it'll be fun to play some shows again. Sort of a nod to those who arrived too late and a wink to those who were there from the start. And maybe to bring their music to new fans that had never heard it before. And, well, if they make some decent money in the process, great! This is what they do for a living.

I'm not upset that there are naysayers and people against the thing, that's to be expected. I suppose I'm just a little confused that I've found so many of you here. We're all fans of Frank, lets show a little faith and some support. At least wait until it's over before you cry foul. It seems a little like prejudging something you've never heard to me. Again, as the Captain says:

"Will it be the same? Of course not." ... and that's great.

Viva los nuevo Pixies!

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  14:57:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yes, and welcome to our new members. Hope you all have time to check out some of Frank's solo stuff since many of you are probably here because the Pixies reunion drew you here in the first place. Start right at the orange album (Frank Black's self-titled) and go from there.

Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  14:59:10  Show Profile
COF, - very well said.

Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  15:23:18  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I nominate Dean as the FB.net spokesperson. =)

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  15:29:17  Show Profile
I second that...although you're o.k. too Dave.

Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  16:03:01  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
"True. Sellouts? Frank Black/the Pixies? I daresay some of you have mistakenly joined the wrong forum."

"I nominate Dean as the FB.net spokesperson. =)"

Okay...You two need to keep in mind that you are powerful figures here, not to mention moderators. You can't go telling people who are fans and who aren't. And, Yes, you pretty much said that (First quote at top of page...) None of us went out of our way to say "They're sellouts. I hate the Pixies and Frank Black now. I hate everything about this."...we were saying and explaining why we were/are timid. People are, however, going out of their way to tell the people who just aren't too keen about the idea to basically fuck off. Yourself included. Now, I respect both of you very much, so don't take this as an attack.

"I'm not upset that there are naysayers and people against the thing, that's to be expected. I suppose I'm just a little confused that I've found so many of you here. We're all fans of Frank, lets show a little faith and some support."

Sorry Dean, but you obviously are upset about it; Especially since the entire post was about it. Abuse of power is for bad presidents, although I don't really know if there have been any truly good presidents. Feel free to bitch me out for this...

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"

Edited by - TheCroutonFuton on 02/04/2004 16:04:23
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  16:59:13  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Heh, and having no opinion is for politicians who want to wait and see how the outcome is going to be. Obviously I have an opinion, and I don't really see how my expression of it is different than yours. Am I upset? No. If you think that you haven't seen me upset yet, trust me. :)

Am I disappointed? Perhaps. If you have reservations, you're entitled. Here are my reasons why I don't think they're valid. You don't have to accept them, you don't have to like them, and you can call me a power-abusing bastard and I'll still be friendly to you if you do it articulately (as you have).

To be honest Nathan, you were about the last person I had in mind when posting this. I at least admire that you're trying to lay out both sides for those who have become more heated in their distaste for their opposing counterparts. But try re-reading (even page 1) and if you still think no one is calling them sell-outs or very unreasonably upset about this turn of events, then that's fine. And if me emphasising a point by using bold letters makes me angry in your eyes, then that's fine. And if you can tell me that I'm abusing my power by expressing my opinion while being somewhat mum while Jim expresses his (and he's as entitled as I am), then, well, that's fine too. You're entitled. But I won't agree with you.

I never said or even implied that anyone was not a fan. Only that I find it "confusing" that people who are by all accounts fans would be so against this. Skeptical, worried, a little reserved... I can understand that. Out-and-out against? No.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 02/04/2004 16:59:51
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  17:17:12  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
Hmm...the "Sellouts? Frank Black/the Pixies? I daresay some of you have mistakenly joined the wrong forum." is still sketchy about what it means or is implying...I know I'm not the only one to interpret it as "You're not fans. Leave.", as someone else actually told me to look at the post...Oh well, oh, and worry not. I'm never upset. I'm always just exaggerating things or being sarcastic...it's one of my defense mechanisms, I guess. I can only get upset at myself, which happens all of the time, hahaha. Well that's what depression is: Inward hatred..

Edited by - TheCroutonFuton on 02/05/2004 14:43:39
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  17:43:10  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
All cool. I suppose that first line was a little more facetious than intended.

Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  19:53:20  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
One point that I think everyone should consider:

Frank Black played Pixies songs live in his recent tours. If you need proof, get the Nadine live EP and check out "Gouge Away". If you have trouble buying it, get it off Soulseek. Anyway, the minute long introduction with the organ exhilerates me. The guitar coming in at about a minute and a half is quite possibly one of the most satisfying notes I have ever heard. My point? That FB hasn't denounced himself from the Pixies; he plays many Pixies songs live. However, he is most certainly not merely rehashing them just to please the Pixies fans or to make a little extra cash; he reinvents theses songs, and they're consummately stupendous. Therefore, the very basis of a Pixies reunion seems a little demeaning. What's the point? I'll admit he has been in kind of a SLIGHT "classic rock" phase for the past four years or so, and I would not mind a new direction for Frank, but to reform the Pixies seems like an old direction. I think Ben Chroneos aptly put my feelings on the irc channel one time when he said "Do we really want the Pixies releasing a Steel Wheels?" Maybe there's something I don't know about it, but a reunion seems useless and can lead to some very scary results. Actually, it already has, SEEING AS THOUGH Pixies are opening up for Red Hot Chili Peppers. I don't need to hear a carbon copy performance of "Debaser", but that's probably what's going to happen. Maybe my opinion's biased because I don't really like the Pixies that much relative to Frank Black, but I love the Pixies. Anyway, I want to see the Catholics. The entire concept of reunions is a little misleading especially when the artist has got 11 years of solo work that's good beyond description.

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  19:56:12  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
Amen, IceCream, Amen.

Ah, I'm in the IRC channel too. :)

Edited by - TheCroutonFuton on 02/04/2004 19:57:52
Go to Top of Page

Puppaduck
- FB Fan -

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  21:15:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TheCroutonFuton

Amen, IceCream, Amen.

Ah, I'm in the IRC channel too. :)

Let us lay down some (virtual) bets. I say they don't get back together at all.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  21:24:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank
So he gets some attention, some appreciation, he rekindles old friendships and they decide it'll be fun to play some shows again. Sort of a nod to those who arrived too late and a wink to those who were there from the start. And maybe to bring their music to new fans that had never heard it before. And, well, if they make some decent money in the process, great! This is what they do for a living.

it's interesting how you have "make some decent money in the process" as kind of an afterthought to the fun-loving "rekindling old friendships" and "having fun playing together" stuff.. i mean, not to say it's ALL about money, but the fact is that no one really knows the priorities and motivations behind this.

i have mixed feelings, like most here. i don't know if i can add anything that hasn't already been said, but i'll throw in my 2 cents:

in a tiny nutshell: sort of sad and disappointed / but also reallly really excited. i'm happy for the people who never got to see them (i feel lucky that i did) and i'll be there front and center with the other crazies..

please buy me a beer.

Edited by - floop on 02/04/2004 21:28:24
Go to Top of Page

andyn
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  02:44:47  Show Profile
I think the main problem with any reunion is that a band is not simply about personnel and songs, but also about the era they occupy. What was groundbreaking and exciting in one decade cannot still be so 20 years later. Those Velvets shows in the early 90's, trying (and failing) to recreate Max's circa 1968 in cavernous, soulless arenas; Pete Townshend still doing his windmill-arm shtick etc etc. Part of the thrill of seeing the Pixies live in 1989 was the knowledge that you and the rest of the audience WERE ON TO SOMETHING. This can never be the case seeing them in 2004. I don't begrudge FB a penny of his money, but you have to understand the potential irritation of standing next to we-go-to-one-gig-a-year types at RHCP all trying to work out where they heard "Where Is My Mind" before.
Go to Top of Page

Peephole
- FB Fan -

13 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  04:04:48  Show Profile
I am so fucking happy right now.

Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  08:48:55  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
it's amazing to me that people in one sentence praise FB's solo work to such a high degree, then in the next show no faith in his ability to make the Pixies reunion just as great.

personally i have all the faith in the Pixies tour and probably album that will follow that i do in FB&tC. maybe i'll be disappointed, maybe i won't. but i see no reason to be so pessimistic about it. FB's been doing great stuff recently.

usually reunions that suck are when members rejoin after doing a bunch of mediocre to shitty work in the meantime, and naturally the resulting stuff is just as bad.

FB is reforming the Pixies after, as was said above, 11 years of great shit.

whether the Pixies will sound just like they did in 1991 i don't know. i honestly doubt it. but is that a good thing or a bad thing? we won't know until we hear it.

so many fucking drama queens in this forum, i swear to god.
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  10:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
Hey, it's just music, no big deal.

I joined the three kitties club / And now I can participate to a secret forum with Charles.
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  11:36:29  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
i dont see what everyone else does in the organ solo in the beggining of gouge away with the catholics. i have a pixies bootleg with a similar organ solo by EDF. Both are annyoing to me. it seems to go against the frank black m.o. of getting to the point and getting it over with. I mean gouge aleady has the same 4 chords for the entire song

-miked
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  21:04:29  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
Interesting opinion, Mike; perhaps Gouge was not the best example.

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  15:20:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Adnan_le_Terrible

Hey, it's just music, no big deal.

Amen.

And ya know for every 1 person who's annoyed over the reunion, there's 5 people (on the board and off) who are excited about it.

I still don't know if I want to go, but I wish 'em well. I hope everybody - the band, the audience - has a good time.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000