New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  12:36:08  Show Profile
I gather FB was quite inspired by 'The Beatles'(the 'white album'). Not only is the cover of TOTY kinda white, its also a double-album, and it's jam-packed with various styles and peppered with wackiness...Two Reelers kind of goes off on a Helter Skelter buzz at the end, for instance. I'm sure a lot of fans have noticed the similarites before......

Edited by - Carl on 02/05/2004 12:37:39

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  12:40:57  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
I never actually drew a parallel, but now that you mention it...
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  12:47:50  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Ahhh, get out the sarcastic font. :) Yeah, I think a few people might have drawn this conclusion/had this discussion before.

The question is whether it was an intended parallel or not.

Oooh, psychological.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  14:31:54  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
uhm, frank did say something in the Q about the Surfer Rosa artwork reminding him of the white album.

and the mojo also drew a parallel between the white album and trompe le monde. Frank said after bossanova that the next pixies record would be a double album, eventually it didnīt became a double (like we all know), but I did have something in common with a famous double record. Just like the beatles on the white album, the pixies were on no speaking terms and recorded the album without really working together....

thatīs what mojo said

white album and frank, they are connected

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

dogjones
- FB Fan -

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  19:37:54  Show Profile
who the hell are the beatles?
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  21:52:07  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
The Beatles are a music group. Often considered the most renowned musicians of all time. Interesting theory, Carl. But I don't think TOTY is as diverse as FB self-titled. I actually think COR is his most diverse album; not in execution or performance, but in the way the songs are written. And although this is a strange opinion, I've heard remarks on its 'transitory nature', so I don't stand consummately alone.

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  00:50:50  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
COR the most diverse album? Come on, EVERYBODY knows it's TOTY.

I joined the three kitties club / And now I can participate to a secret forum with Charles.
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  01:17:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

I actually think COR is his most diverse album; not in execution or performance, but in the way the songs are written. And although this is a strange opinion, I've heard remarks on its 'transitory nature', so I don't stand consummately alone.

wow, that's quite a statement. what do you smoke ?? ;-))

i like COR too more than most people do, but I think FB self titled is really the most diverse on, when it comes to songwriting and sound. Fu Manchu, Los Angeles, Ramona, Ten Percenter, Two Spaces....they are all so different in so many aspects. TOTY goes more into my ear, and somehow I enjoy it the most - perhaps because there are just more incredibly brilliant songs (Speedy Marie, Pong, Thallasocracy, Headache, Freedom Rock, Sir Rockaby..), but the style and especially the sound is more cohesive.

Death to the Pixies / Here comes Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  02:46:15  Show Profile
I think, either consiously or subconsiously, that 'Teenager' kinda is a white album homage...not that the Beatles are necessarily more important an influence as other artists on FB. For instance, I remember FB mentioning Dylan as perhaps revolutionising rock music more than the Beatles did, in a way.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
= Cult of Ray =

440 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  05:06:46  Show Profile
I personally never noticed, but I'll be damned if Cult of Ray isn't a direct rip off of Foghat's Fool for the City LP.

Hand held shower nozzles are the demon enemy of the patriarch and should be destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  10:06:13  Show Profile
I think Frank's deliberately recording loads of off-the-cuff, trashy albums over a short space of time, kinda like goin' through a Dylanesque 'lost years' thing. Or something.
Go to Top of Page

ejcampbell
- FB Fan -

16 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  11:13:40  Show Profile
Slightly off topic, I've got a copy of the 'Grey Album' (Jay-Z's 'Black Album' vocal tracks mixed over samples from the 'White Album') coming in the mail. Anybody already heard it?
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  11:18:00  Show Profile
Naw...oh yeah, don't forget Metallica's 'black' album('None more black!') and Primus' 'The Brown album'...'It's a little too close to Mr. Shit!'
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  23:00:48  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

I think Frank's deliberately recording loads of off-the-cuff, trashy albums over a short space of time, kinda like goin' through a Dylanesque 'lost years' thing. Or something.

Really? Personally, I think most artists wouldn't put "This Old Heartache" on an album that was intended to be trashy.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  07:54:50  Show Profile
Eric Drew Feldman likens TOTY to Trout Mask Replica in a statement quoted here (http://www.freewebs.com/teejo/argue/ericsaga.html)
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  08:52:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Really? Personally, I think most artists wouldn't put "This Old Heartache" on an album that was intended to be trashy.

I mean rough, rather than bad!

CARL.
Go to Top of Page

ELoRPS
- FB Fan -

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  09:47:59  Show Profile  Visit ELoRPS's Homepage
BEST album of the 90's bar none!

"Some people like cupcakes better,..I for one care less for them!"
Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  11:10:31  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address
Calistan is my favorite FB song and While my guiter gently weeps is my fave Beatles song. Uhm, some days anyway. So there is my connection between TOTY and The white album.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  11:52:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

uhm, frank did say something in the Q about the Surfer Rosa artwork reminding him of the white album.

and the mojo also drew a parallel between the white album and trompe le monde. Frank said after bossanova that the next pixies record would be a double album, eventually it didnīt became a double (like we all know), but I did have something in common with a famous double record. Just like the beatles on the white album, the pixies were on no speaking terms and recorded the album without really working together....

thatīs what mojo said

white album and frank, they are connected

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"

The Beatles recorded Abbey Road and Let It Be after the White Album (actual title "The Beatles"), did they not? I believe they started their decline during Abbey Road, and fell to non-speaking terms during Let It Be.
So, I don't think the "not working together" was the case with the "White Album". Can someone verify this?

At any rate, TOTY is my favorite album, followed closely by BLD, which is also diverse in it's own way. When TOTY came out, I was just blown away by the lyrics, topics, and song-crafting. That inspired me to keep writing music. When all is said and done, The Beatles, FB, and The Pixies hit me with so much creative energy, more than any other bands by far.

Don't forget the Beach Boys, which has obviously influenced FB also (i.e., covering Hang on to Your Ego). The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper inspired the Beach Boys to make Pet Sounds, which inspired The Beatles to record the White Album.

What a tangled web we weave...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000