Page: of 5

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  23:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

http://www.dosavannah.com/article/wed-09282016-1519/review-pixies-offer-renewed-sense-cohesion-latest-album-head-carrier

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder

wow, this a great review at last
thank you Jim Reed
(is he one of us on these boards?)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  23:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

English not your first language then?

Nope. Did I miss something in your post ?

I understood your were implying that Oona was an easy track that everyone likes instantly because it just sounds "Pixies". And that the two others were kind of more "challenging" to listen to. Sorry if if misread your comment.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/28/2016 23:41:21
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  01:28:22  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/latest-album-reviews-the-pixies-friendships-how-to-dress-well-bon-iver-die-antwoord/news-story/5753fe8d3ca9ea2690e7c09bf7e41629

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  07:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

quote:

http://www.dosavannah.com/article/wed-09282016-1519/review-pixies-offer-renewed-sense-cohesion-latest-album-head-carrier

--

wow, this a great review at last
thank you Jim Reed
(is he one of us on these boards?)

I am he.

Thanks for the kind words!

--

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  08:15:06  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Reading that review I was thinking, "Man this has a familiar vibe to it, I wonder if it's someone from the board..." hahaha! Good review!

Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux
Want to see the mountains where the waters flow
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  08:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. :)

I am also working on a longer-format piece, which may be published by another outlet at some point in the future.

I'll post a link if and when that occurs...

--

Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  10:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First YouTube review? Nice, and clearly a fan (he starts with a little strum of All I Think About Now).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVkmkHstxLs
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  10:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A one paragraph two star review from The Guardian. Quelle surprise.

Includes..
quote:
All I Think About Now – a belated thank you from Black to Deal – could have been an album highlight, but it’s let down badly by its riff, which is almost a note-for-note rehash of Where Is My Mind.

A few reviewers seem to have (willfully?) missed the point here. It's not exactly rocket science is it?
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/sep/29/pixies-head-carrier-review-indie-rock-veterans-fail-to-match-past-glories

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 09/29/2016 11:04:57
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  12:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta say, these reviews are a bit worse than I would've predicted after hearing the stream. Oh well, still a fun album. I do agree they could've went a little more left and it would've rounded the project off a bit better. But it's good.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/review-pixies-head-carrier-w442070
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  12:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music/head-carrier-review-pixies-revive-their-own-sound-1.12385691
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  12:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Rolling Stone review is four.

Sentences.

Long.

How much use, insight or accuracy can anyone even expect from such an "effort?"

I am old enough to recall when that magazine truly carried weight in the music world.

--

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  12:58:21  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

Gotta say, these reviews are a bit worse than I would've predicted after hearing the stream. Oh well, still a fun album.

Well, here's the deal as far as my opinion goes. There are a lot of fanboy asshats in the world. And you see it every day with movies more than anything. Online ragefests based on the feeling that their youth experience is somehow sacred. And it's a crock of weapons grade horse shit.

You (I'm taking about the reviewers feeling let down that Charles and company didn't release Surfer Rosa Part Deux) cannot lay claim to someone else's creative output. ESPECIALLY if you're a fucking critic. Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique. Fuck those fools, because nothing Charles and company could have conceivably done would have been good enough. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't in those peoples' eyes, and hey, let them have their small, nostalgic, narrow pasts.

Everyone else is living in 2016, and one of the all time greatest rock units is putting out NEW music. These fuckers talking shit are the same ones that in 20 years will be extolling the hidden-in-plain-sight virtues of post-reunion Pixies music, and claiming some kind of victory for having been there for it. Fuck 'em. I find their antics to be fairly entertaining, tbh.

Oh and while I'm at it, The IC sessions are great. Go back and listen to them in the EP release order (full disclosure: I remove Toe because it's just to over mastered and Bagboy because I feel it speaks to me too directly and makes me really uncomfortable). It's a better album in that track listing than IC is.

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  19:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ I understand and agree with your sentiments. That said, the band is obviously open to critique, and just like the positive reviews the negative ones also carry some truth with them as well. The band can still stretch itself further and explore more but for the majority of big BF fans it's just great to hear his songs with this energy and playfulness again.

Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  01:53:10  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.popmatters.com/review/pixies-head-carrier1/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  02:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.avclub.com/review/pixies-sound-confident-and-cohered-head-carrier-mu-243035
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  03:09:33  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That popmatters review was very... begrudging.

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  05:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both the pop matters and avclub reviews are pretty spot on for me. They make some good points, most notably about BF's vocals needing a bit more bite in spots. But like they said, this album feels "light" and it's hard to dislike that even if it's a sorta new look for this band.

http://diymag.com/2016/09/30/pixies-head-carrier-album-review

http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review/pixies-head-carrier

Edited by - natenate101 on 09/30/2016 05:29:04
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  05:27:34  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man I gotta say, this is some great material by the man and his band and just because they're calling it Pixies should not really change the outlook on it in my opinion. If FB had released this as a solo album or with the Catholics we'd be unanimously shitting and creaming our britches about it on this board. It ain't 1992. Taken on its own merits, I'm calling this a resounding success on almost every level. Again just my opinion, and I've only listened to it 5 times, so I suppose that could change but I doubt it.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 09/30/2016 05:28:19
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  06:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Both the pop matters and avclub reviews are pretty spot on for me. They make some good points, most notably about BF's vocals needing a bit more bite in spots. But like they said, this album feels "light" and it's hard to dislike that even if it's a sorta new look for this band.

http://diymag.com/2016/09/30/pixies-head-carrier-album-review

I gave up at 'misogynistic tropes'....
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  06:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one on the other hand put a smile on my face

http://thetalkhouse.com/luke-haines-auteurs-blackbox-recorder-not-thrilled-heard-pixies-new-record/

Talented guy Luke Haines.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  06:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah but you know Doolittle was very light the first few listens. Short sharp shock, like a sugar hit. For me they are definitely *back* but there is still one thing I'm waiting for which is the song count to get back to 14/15.

Fully agree on the vocal bite though, but I think that's gone forever, he's not 20 anymore. More a fine wine now than a Tequila slammer.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  07:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah but you know Doolittle was very light the first few listens. Short sharp shock, like a sugar hit. For me they are definitely *back* but there is still one thing I'm waiting for which is the song count to get back to 14/15.

Fully agree on the vocal bite though, but I think that's gone forever, he's not 20 anymore. More a fine wine now than a Tequila slammer.

Sadly, I think you may be right about the bite being gone. It's not just the screaming itself - it's the wild, unpredictable, sort of manic caterwauling that I don't think we'll get much of anymore (close on the moans on Um Chagga).

I think the last bastion for that style of vocals for him may have been Bluefinger. Too bad we didn't get a Pixies version of Threshold Apprehension!

But oh well...listening to HC (and really his whole career), I'm amazed at the variety of textures he's able to get out of his voice - so that will always be a joy, ID-screaming or not.

Edited by - TheScooper on 09/30/2016 07:05:12
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  07:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This one on the other hand put a smile on my face

http://thetalkhouse.com/luke-haines-auteurs-blackbox-recorder-not-thrilled-heard-pixies-new-record/

Talented guy Luke Haines.

Ha ha, I love that. A perspective of 2016 Pixies with a different slant that I'd never considered before.

Off topic but I'm a fan of Luke Haines - his writing and his old band The Auteurs. 'Bad Vibes' is a great read and 'After Murder Park' has a brutal sound pretty close to Surfer Rosa. Mind you, Albini produced it.

I read a review earlier today - can't find now, but the writer seemed to be under the impression that Kim Deal was still in the band and plays on the record. Very strange.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  11:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes like the Auteurs and also Black Box Recorder. Was not aware of the book, will check that out.

NME review is also out. Good one 4/5

http://www.nme.com/reviews/pixies/16584

And deeper we dig into the dirt. Don’t believe the anti-hype; despite the lack of Kim Deal, Pixies’ 2014 comeback ‘Indie Cindy’ was a worthy successor to their superlative first era, with its tales of witches, sea monsters, android queens and alien lovers.

If that record seemed plucked, musically, from intergalactic radio signals beamed between 1990’s ‘Bossanova’ and 1991’s ‘Trompe Le Monde’, their second reunion album ‘Head Carrier’ treads further back, into the consecrated murk that was ‘Doolittle’ and ‘Surfer Rosa’.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here hoping that Black Francis, at 51, might recapture the sexual frenzy and devil-pact menace of those cult-inducing records, or that new producer Tom Dalgety (Royal Blood, Band Of Skulls) will emulate Gil Norton’s rusted torture chamber aesthetic.But in a cleaner, more mature, concerned-about-its-blood-pressure manner, ‘Head Carrier’ revisits Pixies’ prime, primal age, melodically pumped and squaring up confidently to its admittedly formidable forebears.

There are obvious lifts: ‘All I Think About Now’ is essentially new bassist Paz Lenchantin’s chance at her very own ‘Where Is My Mind?’ right down to the manic pixie “ooh-oooh”s, while ‘Um Chagga Lagga’ is a classic desert punk rant so indebted to ‘Isla De Encanta’ and ‘Oh My Golly!’ that the EU may well sue it for not including the required number of verses in Spanish. Otherwise, ‘Head Carrier’ applies the surf-pop sunscreen of Frank Black’s early solo albums to the simian back hair of early Pixies. So if the album’s two ‘Here Comes Your Man’s – ‘Classic Masher’ and ‘Might As Well Be Gone’ – verge on Weezer, or the Beelzebub tribute ‘Baal’s Back’ sees Francis sounding more like AC/DC’s Bon Scott than The Dark Eater Of Souls Himself, it’s merely an age-appropriate re-imagining of their early fire and brimstone brilliance. Add in sublime off-kilter grunge pop like ‘Oona’ and the title track and, casting aside the boulder of history, you’ll struggle to find a better collection of indie rock songs this year. The reunion of the century keeps on kicking.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  11:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that NME review is pretty much perfect
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  11:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reviewer (Mark Beaumont) knows his FB/Pixies and most likely listened to the album more than once.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  15:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

(I'm taking about the reviewers feeling let down that Charles and company didn't release Surfer Rosa Part Deux) cannot lay claim to someone else's creative output.

Didn't most critics write off Pixies after Doolittle anyway? I could be wrong, but my impression is they were disappointed by Bossanova and disgusted by Trompe and not into the solo albums. So really, the Pixies had two good albums, maybe two and half. After that it's been nothing but terrible music; the awfulness of Frank Black, Teenagers, Rays and cowboys.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  16:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am he.

--

Wow! Peter Radiator's secret identity!

Now I'm going to not only read this, but other stuff you have online.

And everyone should check out this interview, one of the best FB interviews I've read and it's also by Mr. Radiator!

Seriously, you have some really good questions and a nice back and forth, probably was refreshing for him to talk to someone in the press who is an intelligent, hardcore fan.

cheers

http://www.connectsavannah.com/savannah/cover-story-speaking-frankly/Content?oid=2154784
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  20:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2016/9/30/headcarrier/
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  21:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.allmusic.com/album/head-carrier-mw0002964077
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  04:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the Metacritic score is down to 64...anyone know why not all reviews are showing? NME review isn't there and some other positive ones.

What criteria do you need to meet to be metacritic certified? Just curious.

The negative reviews are quite amusing. They either don't get it, are prejudiced because it's Pixies, or say it sounds like a Frank Black album - in such an underhand way as if to insinuate it lacks quality control.

Sure, I understand if critics dont rate the music or the songs or whatever, it sure is a grower this album, but the dismissal based on expectations, past material and personas is for want of a better word, very Pitchforkish. Looking forward to their review! Where is it? Seems to be late!
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  05:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's a great interview! Thanks for posting it.

quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

quote:

I am he.

--

Wow! Peter Radiator's secret identity!

Now I'm going to not only read this, but other stuff you have online.

And everyone should check out this interview, one of the best FB interviews I've read and it's also by Mr. Radiator!

Seriously, you have some really good questions and a nice back and forth, probably was refreshing for him to talk to someone in the press who is an intelligent, hardcore fan.

cheers

http://www.connectsavannah.com/savannah/cover-story-speaking-frankly/Content?oid=2154784

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  18:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.glidemagazine.com/171944/pixies-regroup-rebound-head-carrier-album-review/

"despite being such an influential band, each of the Pixies’ albums is flawed in some way. With Head Carrier, the flaw is that it’s too safe and lacks the quirkiness and experimentation of the band’s earlier releases. Its strength is in its tighter songwriting, clearer focus, and a willingness to accept that the band members are now adults."
Spot on ^.
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  03:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For big or influential artists releasing new albums The Guardian often have two reviews, one short & one more in-depth.

Well they've done it with Pixies but the second review is even shorter than the first, which was itself just one paragraph.

Nine lines, two stars. I mean, why even bother?
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/oct/02/pixies-head-carrier-review-baals-back-um-chagga-lagga-paz-lenchantin-joey-santiago-black-francis

I know it's all subjective but I'm genuinely baffled by some of these 'meh' reviews.

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 10/02/2016 03:39:56
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  04:23:44  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://www.glidemagazine.com/171944/pixies-regroup-rebound-head-carrier-album-review/

"despite being such an influential band, each of the Pixies’ albums is flawed in some way. With Head Carrier, the flaw is that it’s too safe and lacks the quirkiness and experimentation of the band’s earlier releases. Its strength is in its tighter songwriting, clearer focus, and a willingness to accept that the band members are now adults."
Spot on ^.

I can see where he's coming from, but at the same time I'm not sure I see the flaws he's referring to in earlier works. I didn't read it - does he specifically call out the flaws on the classic albums? For me, they're about as flawless as it gets.

edit - like, I just went back through the track listings of all the early albums. Can anyone imagine cutting something somewhere? Because I can't. I can't find any non-essential tracks.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 10/02/2016 04:37:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000