New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  04:43:12  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.abc.es/cultura/musica/abci-pixies-nuestro-nuevo-disco-sonara-viejos-tiempos-201607080029_noticia.html Can anybody pass this thru google translator for the benefit of all non Spanish speaking forum members.The best part is that David says Head Carrier sounds like the first Pixies records

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  04:44:20  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Old school Pixies sound.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  05:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

http://www.abc.es/cultura/musica/abci-pixies-nuestro-nuevo-disco-sonara-viejos-tiempos-201607080029_noticia.html Can anybody pass this thru google translator for the benefit of all non Spanish speaking forum members.The best part is that David says Head Carrier sounds like the first Pixies records

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

I was getting a bit of a Come on Pilgrim vibe when I heard UCL!
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  02:25:47  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/features/reference-points/search-and-discovery David interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  03:22:35  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David with cologne in the pock.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  00:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interview with Charles on 6-music. No new music snippets from the album sadly but he does confirm that All I Think About Now is a thank you letter to Kim Deal. And the subject matter was Paz's idea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0419s21

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  01:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we go again with Kim Deal.

KurtBlack...?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  02:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Stop calling them the Pixies, they are not the Pixies, you can call them the Poxies if you like'
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  04:12:01  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.libertan.net/music/Pixies-New-Album-Has-a-Song-About-Kim-Deal-1660801.html

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  05:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Interview with Charles on 6-music. No new music snippets from the album sadly but he does confirm that All I Think About Now is a thank you letter to Kim Deal. And the subject matter was Paz's idea.

I hope Charles is ready to talk about this non-stop now, haha. You know he is going to get asked about it in every upcoming interview. Sounds cool though. He sounded energetic and pretty affable here. Looking forward to more interviews now, was wondering why there hadn't been many since the announcement of the album?
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  07:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

cool interview. I always thought Paz's name was pronounced like 'Has' but it's actually like "pause". huh.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  08:55:17  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's the old Han Solo vs Hawn Solo thing.

Nice interview, sounds like Charles is interested in talking about the band and their music again. Towards the end of the Indie Cindy cycle it was just Joey and Dave doing the interviews, seemed he was over it.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  02:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just listened to that. Open ended 'thank you' to Kim sung by the woman who replaced her? WTF????? Is that really a thank you? An apology? Him rubbing her nose in it? Very strange.

That made me go look at the Breeders Facebook page. Nothing happening. No new music, no upcoming performances. Seems like things have gone dormant.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  09:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

quote:

I just listened to that. Open ended 'thank you' to Kim sung by the woman who replaced her? WTF????? Is that really a thank you? An apology? Him rubbing her nose in it? Very strange.

That made me go look at the Breeders Facebook page. Nothing happening. No new music, no upcoming performances. Seems like things have gone dormant.

Seems like a perfectly fine gesture to me, given that the band has consistently said that the split was amicable (contrary to constant fan and reporter insistence)

Edited by - TheScooper on 07/16/2016 09:36:30
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  11:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Breeders are recording.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  15:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

Seems like a perfectly fine gesture to me, given that the band has consistently said that the split was amicable (contrary to constant fan and reporter insistence)

Seems fine to you? Deal and Thompson have had a difficult relationship from the start. She bailed in the middle of recording new music, leaving the others hanging. The guys found one replacement, and tried to make a go of it....didn't work. They found another and it seems to be working. All now seem to have harmonious working relationships. They're making new music, and they are still playing in front of large, enthusiastic crowds. The Pixies have survived and are moving forward in a positive way. If I was in Thompson's shoes, I'd just be moving forward, and not mentioning the ex-Pixie at all. I wouldn't be bad mouthing her, but I certainly wouldn't be writing songs about her either....wouldn't be looking back at all. Seems very strange to me, but whatever. I'm looking forward to hearing the new album.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  17:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not something I think about, certainly nothing I expected, but I could imagine Paz doing this. Regardless of what the band/fan thinks, she did step into the shoes of an "indie-rock darling". Maybe she always respected/loved Kim's voice and perhaps felt a bit strange taking the opportunity. Who wouldn't have conflicted feelings, especially stepping as the 2nd replacement...!

Making such a gesture on the first post-reunion album would be weird (and I don't recall if she was a part of the making of the record or not) but I could see her feeling comfortable enough to suggest it for the second post-reunion album.

That's assuming it's a thoughtful, kind-hearted gesture of a song and not an insult. Which why would it be? Whatever he's like in his personal life of which I know not, Frank has come across, especially since the reunion, as someone who's focus is on the music, playing shows and recording more music and not airing band/personal life drama.

So it seems fine to me also and may be a very poignant piece of music. I guess we'll know eventually, eh?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  18:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

It's not something I think about, certainly nothing I expected, but I could imagine Paz doing this. Regardless of what the band/fan thinks, she did step into the shoes of an "indie-rock darling". Maybe she always respected/loved Kim's voice and perhaps felt a bit strange taking the opportunity. Who wouldn't have conflicted feelings, especially stepping as the 2nd replacement...!

Making such a gesture on the first post-reunion album would be weird (and I don't recall if she was a part of the making of the record or not) but I could see her feeling comfortable enough to suggest it for the second post-reunion album.

That's assuming it's a thoughtful, kind-hearted gesture of a song and not an insult. Which why would it be? Whatever he's like in his personal life of which I know not, Frank has come across, especially since the reunion, as someone who's focus is on the music, playing shows and recording more music and not airing band/personal life drama.

So it seems fine to me also and may be a very poignant piece of music. I guess we'll know eventually, eh?

Well said, couldn't agree more. I can't see FB throwing shade, especially looking at the song lyrics. Seems heartfelt.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2016 :  22:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the songs on Black Letter Days or Show me your Tears are far more bitter and morose than any of the songs that are rumoured to be about Kim. I don't think it's a topic that exercises Frank's muse much and for that I'm grateful. More songs about obscure Dutch artists, Irish mythical characters or Mexican bull fighters is preferable to me.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  04:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some of the songs on Black Letter Days or Show me your Tears are far more bitter and morose than any of the songs that are rumoured to be about Kim.

Divorce will do that.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  10:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

More songs about obscure Dutch artists, Irish mythical characters or Mexican bull fighters is preferable to me.

Here here!
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  10:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's precedent for a song to/about Kim, though it's not a complete parallel:

Strange Goodbye from Honeycomb.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  10:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

cheers

THIS.

You beat me to it, Arm3!

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  10:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds more like a song to his ex.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  11:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He admitted that You Ain't Me was directed toward Kim.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  14:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Sounds more like a song to his ex.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Yes, wasn't much of the album related to his ex?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  14:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that demonstrates there are no rich pickings in songs about Kim Deal (not a fan of COR, except COR (the song)....)
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  18:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

He admitted that You Ain't Me was directed toward Kim.

No it's not LA LA LA LA LA LA LA can't hear you.

All joking aside, most BF songs can be understood in many different ways. But you don't need a master's degree in poetry to understand who's the person involved in Oona's lyrics for example.

It's Kim.

...Shattuck.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  05:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

cheers

That's very different, that song is obviously about his ex. I could see where he was a lot more emotionally traumatized with the split from his ex-wife, than with the split from his bass player.

Like I said, I don't get this song about Kim on the new album. He doesn't seem the type to get gushy about an acquaintance.
Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  12:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, to look at it a little cynically, it preemptively mitigates potential backlash to having Paz sing lead on a song. It makes it harder for the dipshit segment of the music press to write "how dare they!!!".
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  14:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

cheers

That's very different, that song is obviously about his ex.

peter radiator understood what I meant. To be fair, I could've worded it better get my point across, which is, there's precedent for Frank to address an emotional issue to a female from his past on an album.

Ex-wife is different from ex-bandmate but that's why I said it wasn't a complete parallel.

I'm guessing Paz was trying to do something nice by suggesting the subject.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  14:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie

Well, to look at it a little cynically, it preemptively mitigates potential backlash to having Paz sing lead on a song. It makes it harder for the dipshit segment of the music press to write "how dare they!!!".

I don't think Thompson ever cared about what dipshits in the music press said about him.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  14:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

there's precedent for Frank to address an emotional issue to a female from his past on an album.

What 'emotional issue'? I don't believe he's got any emotional investment in Deal....he tried dumping her ass after Doolittle. I think too many people are imagining things.

Like I said, I don't get it...a song about Deal on the album that is. What is his intention? No, there's nothing maudlin about it.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  15:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The emotional issue doesn't have to be on Frank's part.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  16:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was common knowledge there HAD been some emotional investment between BF and Kim
Look at this scan from Uncut Magazine December 2004
http://www.sorenfife.co.uk/misc/pdf/uncut.pdf
Ken Goes, on page 11, confirms there was some attempted relationship
I would like to think Kim was BF's "love of his life", that must be his secret wound (even if it's completely over for decades now)
Come on, everyone was in love with Kim, it's just normal there was some attraction between those two big characters / personalities / egos
Now we might never know the full story, and who cares, but clearly such episodes have influence on your subsequent life and songwriting
Remember how Violet went ballistic when Kim left the band, and released (then deleted) her many truths about her, I felt it wasn't just a criticism of their professional / artistic relationship but that there was some deeper resentment.
I can totally imagine someone like BF taking a painful "life-defining-moment", maybe the pivotal point of 'missed opportunities", and transmute it into something cathartic and universal through creative process, especially if put in motion by a stable and healing figure like Paz seems to be

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Edited by - sdon on 07/24/2016 11:13:29
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  16:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I had no idea Paz had suggested this, nor the subject matter beforehand I might not ever put the two together. I've got emotional connections and histories in my own life that are way more important. This is just...I don't know, can't even say I find it interesting; I'm sure they'll be other songs on the record with intriguing lyrics and interesting subject matter than Frank and Kim.

I really don't care beyond pointing out the Strange, Goodbye connection.

Even if this album is equivalent to Indy Cindy for me, Frank has written so many songs I love and like, that's fine too.

C'est tout.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000