Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  04:27:40  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

I know it's all subjective but I'm genuinely baffled by some of these 'meh' reviews.

Well, as I assume many of us around here would agree, most FBF albums tend to be growers rather than blowing you away on first listen. Even though HC has a lot more surface pizazz to grab folks on early listens than much of his other work, it's probably not enough to hook these reviewers into a 5 or 6 listen evaluation. So they spin it once, say "yeah that's what I thought, it's no Surfer Rosa," write a half-assed review, and call it a day.

Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux
Want to see the mountains where the waters flow
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  05:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ Sounds about right. It seems very easy to do a half-assed job as a music journalist. Most interviewers have been equally lazy. (Q1: Indie Cindy wasn't well received. Q2: Kim deal isn't in the band. Q3: Now Paz is. Q4: All I Think About Now was written about Kim Deal. Thank you for your time Charles).
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  05:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but to me most of these reviews are pretty accurate. I think the a good bunch of the reviewers have made good points about Indie Cindy, The Paz situation (which is a huge aspect of this record) and the set of songs being tight and somewhat lighter. Of course you'll get the 2/5 angry reviews from guys or gals who feel this Pixies version is invalid or something, but on the whole I feel the reviews have been fair.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  05:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2016/sep/30/cd-romp-pixies/%3famp&page=all?client=safari
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  07:50:49  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"From the Talking Heads–like title track that opens the album..." folks hear all kinds of stuff on this one, lol. Head Carrier sounds like Neil Young and Crazy Horse to me - not getting a Talking Heads vibe that's for sure. Who knows though!

Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  13:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

"From the Talking Heads–like title track that opens the album..." folks hear all kinds of stuff on this one, lol. Head Carrier sounds like Neil Young and Crazy Horse to me - not getting a Talking Heads vibe that's for sure. Who knows though!

Heard Dig For Fire described as Talking Heads-like on the WatchMojo top ten. Now that, I can hear.

But Head Carrier? Nah, I don't hear it either.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2016 :  03:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can hear Talking Heads on the chorus, but the verse is Neil.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2016 :  05:46:37  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so no pitchfork review?

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2016 :  11:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/10/04/pixies-head-carrier-review/91329716/

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/202063/9
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  00:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad review but a few good points re production.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqdC6DXjjAk
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  00:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to clear this up: the guy in the video is not me :D

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  02:06:14  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gotta stop reading these reviews - "Francis goes full Gibby Haynes, delivering the quip “standing tall in the rows of corn” as though he spent the entire Pixies hiatus on a ranch in the deep, deep south." I've lived in the deep deep south. I've also lived in Illinois and Iowa. I don't recall seeing a hell of a lot of corn in Georgia.

I think I read in another review up there that UCL clearly shows their influence on Nirvana. First of all - yawn. Can we wrap it up with the Nirvana stuff? Second, I listened to a lot of Nirvana back in the day, and UCL sounds nothing like a Nirvana song, not in structure, content, or even delivery. At least not to my ears. Maybe the only connection I could make is that Dave's drums sound like something Dave Grohl would come up with. And loud guitars.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 10/05/2016 02:15:24
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  03:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

I gotta stop reading these reviews - "Francis goes full Gibby Haynes, delivering the quip “standing tall in the rows of corn” as though he spent the entire Pixies hiatus on a ranch in the deep, deep south." I've lived in the deep deep south. I've also lived in Illinois and Iowa. I don't recall seeing a hell of a lot of corn in Georgia.

I think I read in another review up there that UCL clearly shows their influence on Nirvana. First of all - yawn. Can we wrap it up with the Nirvana stuff? Second, I listened to a lot of Nirvana back in the day, and UCL sounds nothing like a Nirvana song, not in structure, content, or even delivery. At least not to my ears. Maybe the only connection I could make is that Dave's drums sound like something Dave Grohl would come up with. And loud guitars.

Maybe, but did you know Kurt Cobain said in an interview that he was basically trying to rip off the Pixies when he wrote Smells like teen spirit ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  04:28:22  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope you're being sarcastic!

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  04:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe I heard Oona is really about Kurt Cobain who really wanted to be in their band... ;)
Go to Top of Page

guy from wonderland
- FB Fan -

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  08:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dig the new album. its like a Catholics cake with a sprinkling of Pixies frosting throughout to my ears.
although its a bit more restrained and predictable than what i had hoped for, its still new music so i'm happy.
BUT i must confess that a studio version of Super Lecker would have been a real treat to hear.

ironically, the most "pixies sounding" track i've heard this year so far is that new Orwells song "Buddy"..... good stuff.

Edited by - guy from wonderland on 10/05/2016 11:58:57
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  08:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your username remind how strong some lyrics were back then. "The guy from wonderland...". I could listen to that song in loop mode just to hear that verse again.

HC lyrics are less polished. More rushed, maybe. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. That's probably one of the rare weakness on HC in my opinion. But again, my poor english doesn't help. Maybe I'm missing some subtleties.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 10/05/2016 08:54:46
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  09:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Your username remind how strong some lyrics were back then. "The guy from wonderland...". I could listen to that song in loop mode just to hear that verse again.

HC lyrics are less polished. More rushed, maybe. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. That's probably one of the rare weakness on HC in my opinion. But again, my poor english doesn't help. Maybe I'm missing some subtleties.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I agree, the lyrics are the weak spot on this album. BF went for economy on most tracks and it works fine but I would've more intriguing and provocative lyrics.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  13:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

OK this is very embarrassing .... but what song is that lyric from?
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  13:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YOU AIN'T ME from the excellent The Cult of Ray.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Panamanian Schooner
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  19:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

so no pitchfork review?

--------
baby poop, curry

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22437-head-carrier/

And it's almost exactly as I expected it would be, even down to the rating. Classic pitchfork
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  19:20:27  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Panamanian Schooner

quote:

so no pitchfork review?

--------
baby poop, curry

And it's almost exactly as I expected it would be, even down to the rating. Classic pitchfork

yikes. well I like the voodoo lounge comparison. it's funny.

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  20:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reads like a Bossanova or TLM review from the early 90s. Look forward to the 'Head Carrier Revisited' articles in 10-15 years time.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  20:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

YOU AIN'T ME from the excellent The Cult of Ray.

cheers

Ah I see, thanks. Ok it's from my least favourite FB album so I don't feel so bad now.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  20:42:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

OK this is very embarrassing .... but what song is that lyric from?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  22:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://musicfeeds.com.au/album/pixies-head-carrier/

Seems like most of the "bigger" outlets are giving lower review scores or being more harsh, while the smaller ones tend to look at things in a more positive light. Not a surprise I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  00:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also the revisionism. I was 18 in 1988 and listening and reading music intensively in late 80s/early 90s. Surfer Rosa and Doolittle garnered *some* ecstatic reviews but were not regarded as 'instant classics' as such by publications one and all (esp in the U.S.). Bossanova and TLM reviews were as mixed as Head Carrier except for the odd exception. Select (correctly) made Bossanova album of the year in 1990.

Edited by - Sprite on 10/06/2016 01:00:16
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  02:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

so no pitchfork review?

--------
baby poop, curry

yikes. well I like the voodoo lounge comparison. it's funny.

--------
baby poop, curry

The Stones were already the punchline to a joke at least 10 years before Voodoo Lounge. I don't think the analogy works for that reason alone.

I've read unfavourable comparisons with near contemporary Nick Cave. The quality of his 'late period' material doesn't tarnish his legacy in the way that IC & HC apparently do to Pixies. I don't agree with that either - Cave's stuff is good but it's more something to admire than love - he's aged gracefully but it's all a bit one-note to me.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  04:05:39  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The Albini quote is very unfair
Prophet my ass

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  10:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

so no pitchfork review?

--------
baby poop, curry

There's a kernel of truth in this review - this album is certainly more "Velouria" and less "Vamos". I'm not sure that's a good thing, or a bad thing - it just is what it is. It's certainly not fair to expect there to be as much tension and psychosis from a 26-year old band!

Of course, I say that fully realizing its pointless to argue with a Pitchfork review :)

Edited by - kromkamp on 10/06/2016 10:49:42
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  11:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick Cave one-note? Codswallop. He's gone from more traditional rock (Dig Lazarus Dig) to scratchy guttural noise (Grinderman) to strange almost electronic music, all within eight years. That's not to mention his excellent soundtrack work. Push the Sky Away is up there with his best work. New one is great too, albeit a very, very difficult listen.

I think the Pitchfork review makes some good points. Exaggerated and much too whiney yes, but they're spot on about how 'safe' the new Pixies music is.

Go to Top of Page

Mad Lucas
- FB Fan -

Australia
142 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  12:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just feel that many of these reviews talking about the music being "middle of the road" or being too tidy or crafted have some kind of misconception of the band in their minds.

It seems like they start off with a premise that they were a raucous and off-the-rails noisy band (which they could be), and forget that this is the band that wrote The Happening, Number 13 Baby, Velouria, Space (I Believe In), etc etc.
Go to Top of Page

Mad Lucas
- FB Fan -

Australia
142 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  12:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really feel like a lot of these reviewers would come around if they simply left a few missed vocal takes in the mix and gave Joey a few passes at the lead lines and panned the natural variations left/right, a la Albini.

Suddenly, the old energy is back!
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  03:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Nick Cave one-note? Codswallop. He's gone from more traditional rock (Dig Lazarus Dig) to scratchy guttural noise (Grinderman) to strange almost electronic music, all within eight years.

Fair enough. Just a blind spot for me, I suppose.

Great review here.
http://howlandechoes.com/2016/10/review-head-carrier-pixies/

..and another.
http://renownedforsound.com/index.php/album-review-pixies-head-carrier/

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 10/07/2016 03:37:27
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  10:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get the feeling Pixies / FBF album reviews get judged on what they're not as opposed to what they are.

Head Carrier - it's not Surfer Rosa or Doolittle, BF doesn't scream in Spanish. There's not a song like Vamos or Hey. There's no Kim.

The last point is thankfully moot (or so it seems). But, the concept of what the album is not, shapes what it is - almost unreservedly negatively.

What it is - brave - any release by Pixies is brave - putting their name on an album by default is.

Strength - maybe reviewers forget, the Pixies strength is their songs - Oona, Classic Masher, Head Carrier, Bel Esprit, Tenement Song for me are amongst their best.

Consistent - the album doesn't have a weak track.

Mature - yes, mature. They're not 23 anymore. But Christ almighty, they do not sound 50.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000