Posted - 06/12/2004 :  14:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm amazed!

"Me and the chickens running in the street"
Go to Top of Page

SpudBoy
= Cult of Ray =

Equatorial Guinea
649 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  14:07:22  Show Profile  Visit SpudBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok so I'll be a heretic - I don't like it. I love the music of the Pixies, but not without a reason, and for me, there is no reason in this song. It is very bubblegum pop to my ear, and the production is really rough. I look forward to more material from them, and hope they are just blowing out the cobwebs.

*festoon*
Go to Top of Page

christd1123
- FB Fan -

53 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  14:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree i dont like it
Go to Top of Page

demon
- FB Fan -

20 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  14:19:44  Show Profile  Visit demon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it reminds me a lot of gigantic... as well as the hang on to your ego demo that never got released.

i think it's fine. i'm pretty sure it's mixed to be a single. kinda like the alternative versions of gigantic and river euphrates.

i dunno. i'm down with bangkok. haha. wokka wokka.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  14:20:40  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShakeyShake

Has anyone stopped and thought why the hell the pixies would write another song,then release it on I-tunes?

Well, iTunes is the most popular online music store. And it seems pretty fitting for them to just release it on there and then wait for people to find it. Hell, if anything, the song itself is a wonderful reflection of the act. It's goofy. Weird. Somewhat unexpected. I was hoping they'd do something like this. "Oh, yeah, we did record a new song. Fun, huh?" Has that kind of feel to it. I'd like to know if Gil Norton produced it.

Go to Top of Page

Matt Foley
- FB Fan -

13 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  14:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The song actually sounds more like the Breeders than the Pixies, but with a higher-fidelity recording than any Breeders release since Last Splash. I love it... of course, my opinion is worth little more than a shiny briefcase full of JACK SQUAT!
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  14:50:32  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prozacrat

quote:
Originally posted by ShakeyShake

Has anyone stopped and thought why the hell the pixies would write another song,then release it on I-tunes?

Well, iTunes is the most popular online music store. And it seems pretty fitting for them to just release it on there and then wait for people to find it. Hell, if anything, the song itself is a wonderful reflection of the act. It's goofy. Weird. Somewhat unexpected. I was hoping they'd do something like this. "Oh, yeah, we did record a new song. Fun, huh?" Has that kind of feel to it. I'd like to know if Gil Norton produced it.

In addition, Frank Black did the Show Me Your Tears Exclusive EP through iTunes, and probably liked it. Glad to hear that the iTunes music store is going live in Europe on Tuesday. Perhaps the announcement of a new Pixies song would be a great way to promote the expansion of their online store in Europe, since they're so popular over there. Makes sense to me.

Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  14:56:59  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SpudBoy

Ok so I'll be a heretic - I don't like it. I love the music of the Pixies, but not without a reason, and for me, there is no reason in this song. It is very bubblegum pop to my ear, and the production is really rough. I look forward to more material from them, and hope they are just blowing out the cobwebs.

*festoon*

the production is rough???
whttfck? i think it sounds as 'full' as Title TK from the Breeders sounds.
And that is certainly NOT rough...
Surfer Rosa, that's what you could call rough

I'm bored with the valleys and bored by the peaks. So I bought a ticket to the freaks
Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  15:01:28  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by christd1123

i agree i dont like it

"May I suggest a single malt scotch, straight up, as an aperitif? Then drink cold, red wine throughout, and then forget about the digestive; put the record on again and go look for that bottle of scotch. You're never going to like one of my damn records if you only listen to it once."

I'm bored with the valleys and bored by the peaks. So I bought a ticket to the freaks
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  15:09:14  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chickenwithtwoheads

i think it sounds as 'full' as Title TK from the Breeders sounds.

Title TK, yes. That's just what I said to a friend today. I think it would be best placed within the Amps' 'Pacer'.

I wanna go to the moon. I wanna do this duet with Morrissey.....
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  15:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not saying I don't like it, but it's not classic pixies.
I'm not saying they should stick to the same old stuff either.

"I joined the Cult of this guy / 'cause they took my other picture away
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  15:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyway,where's the official confirmation?

"I joined the Cult of this guy / 'cause they took my other picture away
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  16:12:18  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty darn sure this is the Pixies...very cool song, and i'm encouraged to hear more if they've been writing and recording! Kick ass! I think we really might have something to look forward to!!

Time to waddle over to the News page..!

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  16:28:57  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's not likely they put their best song on iTunes like this.
So WHAT is this?
A b-side?
Just a random song from the new album?
Come on Chuck, it's not that now you're touring you don't have the time to go to an internet cafe and talk to us wonderers...

Go to Top of Page

Pilot CAN
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  16:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
apparently the admin at the pixiesmusic.com board deleted the entire thread to thwart all attempts by anyone with windows 98 who can't DL itunes to listen to the damn song.

if anyone could email me an mp3 of the song, i'd be forever in your debt.
Go to Top of Page

Pilot CAN
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  17:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you would volunteer and then i would click on your username and then i would click on the link to send you an email message and give you the address to email it to.

Go to Top of Page

Pilot CAN
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  17:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks! i've got it now.
Go to Top of Page

zambaretzu
- FB Fan -

28 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  17:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.indietorrents.com/details.php?id=6165

You have to reister, but it's a worthwhile site.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  18:05:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It does sound a lot more like a Kim song than a Frank one, definitely, which is borne out by the fact that she's got lead vocals. It's definitely Kim & FB though, and there's no mistaking Joey's guitarwork. Eric in the middle? Could be... that part feels like him in Teenager Era, except not as punchy, it's more a breakdown. I'm not sure if that description will make sense to anyone except me, but...

I have a feeling he would've tied it into the actual song more if it were Eric's doing. Maybe not.

An interesting tune to say the least.

"When 5000 posts you reach / Look as good you will not, hmmm?"
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  18:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't stop listening to it. I love all the universe, I love all the listeners. I love this song! The "Eric breakdown" sounds like a sample to me.
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  19:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this song! I'm very amazed! Its def the pixies

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

Dogfish
- FB Fan -

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  19:15:10  Show Profile  Visit Dogfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy shit. No words can describe this.
Love to all of you!
Go to Top of Page

Marc With A C
- FB Fan -

39 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  20:26:48  Show Profile  Visit Marc With A C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please... for the love of Christ...

Could someone please put this on Soulseek? For us po' folk that are still stuck with Windows 98?

I'll send the damn dollar for the download directly to the band myself if I have to. I'm dying to hear this.

In the evening I want my coffee, in the morning I want my dope... www.marcwithac.com
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  20:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this song just totally made my week. damn i love it. i was very anti-pixies reunion, and this is one step in the right direction to making me like it more

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  21:09:27  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't get me wrong, I love this new song....But I want my Catholics back more than ever now. (Oh, alright..fine...Our Catholics)

It's just that FB and the C's songs are so much more serious and heartfelt...My guess is the "lyrics" for this are what happened with Monkey Gone to Heaven...they were just used as a fill for the vocal harmony during rehearsal and stuff until they got around to writing lyrics...but just never got around to it..

"Freedom is a state of mind and the condition and position of your ass. Free your mind and your ass will follow." - Funkadelic
Go to Top of Page

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  21:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I too am really digging this song, and it may be the the reason I fail all of my final exams next week. All I can think about are the Pixies. I'm not used to the whole iTunes system, this being my first experience with it, and whenever I try and burn the song onto a disc, it won't allow me. Can anyone provide an explanation?

I lift weights, but I don't sweat. I go for a swim, but I don't get wet.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  21:22:11  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hold on. I'm finding out more info now. Have you listened to it yet? On your computer, that is.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  21:23:50  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wait. I guess since you said you were really digging the song, you must have. You could messenger me at prozacrat@hotmail.com if you have MSN Messenger. My brother is here. He's the one who brought the song to my attention and is a complete Apple nut. He can answer any question you might have.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  23:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what the FUCK!! How do you find this song. I go to iTunes but find no GD place to DL it!!!! I refise to read reviews of this before I hear it. Please post a link to the download page.

Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  23:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on Itunes type in pixies in the search

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  23:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wait, I see it. hehehe. I haven't used iTunes in so long I forgot I had to open the program and that I couldn't use the website. thanks.

Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  23:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh fuck this. it won't let me buy it cause it says my zip code for the billing info is not right and that's absolute bs! I know it's right plus I've used it before with iTunes!!!!! This sucks! I know this isn't the way we usually do things but can someone send it to me via aim. I'll donate my GD .99 to FB.net or any other way I can get it to iTunes, the blasted program!!!

Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2004 :  00:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it. But I don't really get it?

Anyone have any insight about the theme of the song? or what the fuck Bam Thwok means or what the fuck?

???

Joey Rules
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2004 :  01:35:44  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
roll on Tuesday in Europe.... I can't wait... my dialup connection keeps buffering it
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2004 :  01:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THis song is so cool! I cant stop listening to it and it always goes by so damn fast! I have no idea hwt it means tho, but it sounds like kim deal mightve actually written it, and i wonder if theyll play it live now.

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000