503 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  21:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nell Carter.
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  21:45:12  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shemekia Copeland?
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  05:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally.
Johnny Yen, glad that you have made the leap. Now I can go back to making the record. And now the rest of you can go listen to some Shemekia Copeland cds!
Thank you all.
best,
JT
p.s. and anyone who is disappointed because they never heard of her---that's your blind spot, do not blame the contest for your own musical
lapses. I said you must do research, and thank goodness someone did.

Edited by - Jontiven on 06/07/2004 06:34:03
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  05:34:12  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a letdown... I have never heard of her. Actually I thought Johnny Yen had invented a funny name. Now as soon as I come back from the Pixies gig tonight, I'll download everything I can find from her!

edit: Jon edited his post to make me feel stupid because I said the answer was a letdown... Unfair! I was only kidding, and am well aware of my limited musical knowledge...

Denis

Edited by - vilainde on 06/07/2004 06:37:38
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  05:35:28  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hurry!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  06:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's cool. I have actually heard of her just not heard her. She played at my old hometown's Sparta, IL's Blues festival they have every summer. Didn't make it that year but heard good stuff about her. Sparta's only other claim to anything remotely resembling fame is they filmed "In the heat of the night" there. Things that make you go hmmmm...
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  08:55:53  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No extra research was done for that answer. I've just worked in a music store for way too long, and alligator records was kind enough to send us promos of her albums. She's the daughter of Johnny Copeland, and she's got a dang fine voice. I bet she and Frank would sound great together.
She's real cute, too.

Edited by - Johnny Yen on 06/07/2004 08:57:28
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  09:40:31  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Wim Wenders (as usual) has good musical taste as well!
The PBS episode of "Martin Scorsese presents the blues: The Soul of a Man (a film by Wim Wenders)" - she is on there. There was so much good music on that episode, I missed her name.

If the only tool you have is an elbow macaroni,
all your problems look like Schroedinger's cat.

Edited by - apl4eris on 06/07/2004 09:46:33
Go to Top of Page

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2004 :  16:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Yen

No extra research was done for that answer. I've just worked in a music store for way too long, and alligator records was kind enough to send us promos of her albums. She's the daughter of Johnny Copeland, and she's got a dang fine voice. I bet she and Frank would sound great together.
She's real cute, too.

Sparta? I'm originally from Benton.

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2004 :  16:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meant to quote Batholomew's post there.

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  06:16:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benton, huh? I figured you were from somewheres in that vicinity. I've heard you say in the past you go to SIU-C (or went). I've been through Benton a couple half-dozen times...Isn't that the town that Paul McCartney's aunt lives in? I live up in Greenville now, but ten years ago or better when I lived in Sparta used to go down to Carbondale to the used music shops. That rastafarian incense burning dude still work at that one?

We'll have to get together at a Frank Black show sometime. That is, if this Pixies thing ever ends.
quote:
Originally posted by JamesM

-Jimmy M.

quote:

-Jimmy M.

Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  06:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benton, huh? I figured you were from somewheres in that vicinity. I've heard you say in the past you go to SIU-C (or went). I've been through Benton a couple half-dozen times...Isn't that the town that Paul McCartney's aunt lives in? I live up in Greenville now, but ten years ago or better when I lived in Sparta used to go down to Carbondale to the used music shops. That rastafarian incense burning dude still work at that one?

quote:

-Jimmy M.

quote:

-Jimmy M.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic