-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 The importance of being Honeycomb

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
theonecontender Posted - 06/02/2004 : 10:16:42
That's right. It is damn important.

The attention of the reunion cannot be under estimated. Eyes will be on the man and his next move. As the faithful know, he is one of the most prolific dudes around these days, but this often comes at a price. Of course we are grateful, but the soon to be growing fan base may not fully understand or appreciate his prolific style. So, this being said, the next album must grab as many people as possible rather than being another beautiful album for the 'cult following'.

Why should he care? He shouldn't. I do, though. Why? Because truth in music, as in life, must spread. Truth, meaning wicked rock and roll music. So I really hope that the next release is one worthy to be considered the "Post-Pixies-reunion-album" album - a la Frank s/t.

So I just gotta say one more thing.. I am a huge supporter of the Pale Boys album. For the most part, it is exactly what I have been waiting for. Frank can do as he likes, but I want the love to spread so it is imperative that the next one be both killer and representative of his massive talent.

rant over
1c
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bartholomew Posted - 07/28/2004 : 06:17:11
Benton, huh? I figured you were from somewheres in that vicinity. I've heard you say in the past you go to SIU-C (or went). I've been through Benton a couple half-dozen times...Isn't that the town that Paul McCartney's aunt lives in? I live up in Greenville now, but ten years ago or better when I lived in Sparta used to go down to Carbondale to the used music shops. That rastafarian incense burning dude still work at that one?

quote:
Originally posted by JamesM

Meant to quote Batholomew's post there.

-Jimmy M.

quote:

-Jimmy M.

Bartholomew Posted - 07/28/2004 : 06:16:15
Benton, huh? I figured you were from somewheres in that vicinity. I've heard you say in the past you go to SIU-C (or went). I've been through Benton a couple half-dozen times...Isn't that the town that Paul McCartney's aunt lives in? I live up in Greenville now, but ten years ago or better when I lived in Sparta used to go down to Carbondale to the used music shops. That rastafarian incense burning dude still work at that one?

We'll have to get together at a Frank Black show sometime. That is, if this Pixies thing ever ends.
quote:

-Jimmy M.

quote:

-Jimmy M.

JamesM Posted - 07/27/2004 : 16:36:02

-Jimmy M.
JamesM Posted - 07/27/2004 : 16:35:25
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Yen

No extra research was done for that answer. I've just worked in a music store for way too long, and alligator records was kind enough to send us promos of her albums. She's the daughter of Johnny Copeland, and she's got a dang fine voice. I bet she and Frank would sound great together.
She's real cute, too.

Sparta? I'm originally from Benton.

-Jimmy M.
apl4eris Posted - 06/07/2004 : 09:40:31

Wim Wenders (as usual) has good musical taste as well!
The PBS episode of "Martin Scorsese presents the blues: The Soul of a Man (a film by Wim Wenders)" - she is on there. There was so much good music on that episode, I missed her name.

If the only tool you have is an elbow macaroni,
all your problems look like Schroedinger's cat.
Johnny Yen Posted - 06/07/2004 : 08:55:53
No extra research was done for that answer. I've just worked in a music store for way too long, and alligator records was kind enough to send us promos of her albums. She's the daughter of Johnny Copeland, and she's got a dang fine voice. I bet she and Frank would sound great together.
She's real cute, too.
Bartholomew Posted - 06/07/2004 : 06:15:01
That's cool. I have actually heard of her just not heard her. She played at my old hometown's Sparta, IL's Blues festival they have every summer. Didn't make it that year but heard good stuff about her. Sparta's only other claim to anything remotely resembling fame is they filmed "In the heat of the night" there. Things that make you go hmmmm...
billgoodman Posted - 06/07/2004 : 05:35:28
hurry!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
vilainde Posted - 06/07/2004 : 05:34:12
What a letdown... I have never heard of her. Actually I thought Johnny Yen had invented a funny name. Now as soon as I come back from the Pixies gig tonight, I'll download everything I can find from her!

edit: Jon edited his post to make me feel stupid because I said the answer was a letdown... Unfair! I was only kidding, and am well aware of my limited musical knowledge...

Denis
Jontiven Posted - 06/07/2004 : 05:24:35
Finally.
Johnny Yen, glad that you have made the leap. Now I can go back to making the record. And now the rest of you can go listen to some Shemekia Copeland cds!
Thank you all.
best,
JT
p.s. and anyone who is disappointed because they never heard of her---that's your blind spot, do not blame the contest for your own musical
lapses. I said you must do research, and thank goodness someone did.
Johnny Yen Posted - 06/05/2004 : 21:45:12
Shemekia Copeland?
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 06/05/2004 : 21:17:52
Nell Carter.
PixieSteve Posted - 06/05/2004 : 13:02:40
ms dynamite
TheCroutonFuton Posted - 06/05/2004 : 12:57:04
Hmm...

Erykah Badu?
Jill Scott?

"Freedom is a state of mind and the condition and position of your ass. Free your mind and your ass will follow." - Funkadelic
PixieSteve Posted - 06/05/2004 : 12:51:40
ok i do care...

beverly knight?
TheCroutonFuton Posted - 06/05/2004 : 12:50:31
Thanks much...Time to do some sleuthing..

"Freedom is a state of mind and the condition and position of your ass. Free your mind and your ass will follow." - Funkadelic
Jontiven Posted - 06/05/2004 : 11:54:01
She is r&b, but more b.
If I say anything more, I might as well tell you. And you probably won't know her name unless you are a fan of the genre. But her voice is incredible, and she sells a heck of a lot of CDs for someone whose fans are fairly genre-specific.
At this point, I will only respond if I get a correct answer. As you can tell, I am monitoring this thread frequently so you will know if you hit it.
I've pretty much given it away.
best,
JT
TheCroutonFuton Posted - 06/05/2004 : 11:09:31
Atleast give us "her genre"...Otherwise it's a wild goose hunt..hmm...

PixieSteve Posted - 06/05/2004 : 09:32:49
i just realised that i don't care. far too much effort to research and find out. and if in the end i won't know who she is, then that'll just be an anti-climax. if i do know who she is, i'll either not like her, again that'll be an anti-climax, or if i do like her then it'll still suck because i won't be able to listen until whenever it comes out anyway.
Jontiven Posted - 06/05/2004 : 08:52:33
No prizes yet.
No more clues.
There must be a detective amongst you. Guessing will get you nowhere.
Research!
best,
JT
kathryn Posted - 06/04/2004 : 12:21:40
Thanks for writing Jon and for keeping us guessing. It sounds like an electrifying album already, if I may use an overused term --but that's my experience with The Man: what's cliche elsewhere is the truth with him.

Because she's a 2 year-old girl and not a heterosexual male, my kid calls Norah Jones "Snorah Jones."

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
apl4eris Posted - 06/04/2004 : 10:40:46
She was born in 1970 though.

If the only tool you have is an elbow macaroni,
all your problems look like Schroedinger's cat.
Bartholomew Posted - 06/04/2004 : 10:38:07
She has three albums. She is very well known within her genre––hey even I own her first CD. And most importantly she is a soul artist from the old school, someone in touch with her roots. And thus interested in working with some of the greats. Come on, Jon. Do I get a prize? An early copy of the CD, some unused takes? Just kidding. But just in case.

boberg23@hotmail.com
Bartholomew Posted - 06/04/2004 : 10:28:59
I've got it Jon. I'm 100% positive. Macy Gray. That's cool cuz I ove her voice.
Frog in the Sand Posted - 06/04/2004 : 06:43:40
Beyoncé Knowles?
Kelly Rowland?
Michelle Williams?
Lisa McClendon?
Jontiven Posted - 06/04/2004 : 05:16:59
None of the above.
No more clues.
Keep at it.
best,
JT
vilainde Posted - 06/04/2004 : 01:46:43
Wait... There's someone called Fantasia Barrino? Is it her real name? I can't believe it.

Denis
Jason Posted - 06/04/2004 : 01:23:48
These guesses are all horrible. The singer is obviously new American Idol winner, Fantasia Barrino..

Let it go, ya dweebs...
vilainde Posted - 06/04/2004 : 00:59:28
I thought of Norah Jones too, but Jon said we would only know her if we "followed her genre". And I think everyone knows her, even those who never listen to jazz.
Oh, and the first album listed by allmusic.com is an EP. Apart from these 2 points, everything else seems to correspond to NJ.

Denis
billgoodman Posted - 06/04/2004 : 00:58:19
it isn't norah jones
that just couldn't be

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
floop Posted - 06/03/2004 : 21:19:23

yes please
Dave Noisy Posted - 06/03/2004 : 20:52:52
Apparently she has three albums:

AllMusic.com Link

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
whitenoisemaker Posted - 06/03/2004 : 18:44:00
Is it Norah Jones?
Bohemoth Posted - 06/03/2004 : 17:51:12
I hope the who plays what on each song list returns ala Dog in the Sand. Aposed to just one big list of everybody on the album
Jontiven Posted - 06/03/2004 : 17:45:30
Not close.
Should I give a hint?
Another one?
Okay.
She has three albums. She is a legacy artist (not the label).
Ready, set....GO!!!!!!
(and in answer to the Steve Earle question, not that I'm aware)
best,
JT

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000