Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  10:16:42  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's right. It is damn important.

The attention of the reunion cannot be under estimated. Eyes will be on the man and his next move. As the faithful know, he is one of the most prolific dudes around these days, but this often comes at a price. Of course we are grateful, but the soon to be growing fan base may not fully understand or appreciate his prolific style. So, this being said, the next album must grab as many people as possible rather than being another beautiful album for the 'cult following'.

Why should he care? He shouldn't. I do, though. Why? Because truth in music, as in life, must spread. Truth, meaning wicked rock and roll music. So I really hope that the next release is one worthy to be considered the "Post-Pixies-reunion-album" album - a la Frank s/t.

So I just gotta say one more thing.. I am a huge supporter of the Pale Boys album. For the most part, it is exactly what I have been waiting for. Frank can do as he likes, but I want the love to spread so it is imperative that the next one be both killer and representative of his massive talent.

rant over
1c

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  13:18:06  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If honeycomb is as 'slick' as errol said and one can suppose
I think it's a good effort for first solo release after the reunion
whenever the reunion will end.....

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  06:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know Errol but HONEYCOMB is not slick. It may appeal to a wider audience than Frank's previous records, but it is a deeply rooted work that relies heavily on (a)wonderful songs and (b)phenomenal playing by not just top flight players but players who in their own right have established their own musical identities. There is no great production trickery or smoke 'n' mirrors making HONEYCOMB this classic-to-be, the gimmick is----THE MUSIC.
So just hold onto your hineys for a few months (or weeks, if that be the case) and you will be able to hear it for yourself and I do not think any true FB fan will be disappointed. Shocked? Perhaps. Elevated? Most likely.
kind regards,
Jon Tiven (producer of HONEYCOMB)

Edited by - Jontiven on 06/03/2004 06:22:37
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  07:03:20  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"I do not think any true FB fan will be disappointed" : This is tricky. If someone says "I'm disappointed" than we can reply "that's because you're not a true fan".

However, I don't think I'll be disappointed, as I truly like the idea - Frank's new and more "country" songs are among my favorites (The Farewell Bend is perhaps my favorite FB song).

I also think that it is not very important to make a commercial record to draw the attention of his new audience : I think the Pixies reunion is a way for Frank to do what he wants to do without being bothered by what people say. And this new audience is volatile - they will probably forget the Pixies and FB in about a year or so, whereas true FB fans are perhaps not very numerous but they are very faithful.

Jon, thank you for posting here, I am still trying to figure out who is that female voice on Honeycomb...

I keep feeling like people are just looking at screens and web sites all the time, but do they ever do anything? Or go out and say anything to anyone? I'm not so sure anymore.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  07:08:17  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Didn't Jon say she wasn't an english-speaking person? My guess is either Lhasa or J-Lo.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  07:10:38  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it's Diams!

I keep feeling like people are just looking at screens and web sites all the time, but do they ever do anything? Or go out and say anything to anyone? I'm not so sure anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  07:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the 1c makes a good point, though... that this will be an important CD career-wise for him as he's now in the spotlight (which they took off him sometime around the Cult of Ray) once more. So a lot of people will be looking at this.

To me, that doesn't change anything, it's just an observation. Frank has always been about the music and wouldn't release something taylored to someone else as a career move. That's not his style, and that's something I respect about him. As Jon says, he's about the music. That's it.

I really am excited for this album, every insider I've heard anything from has specifically used the word "incredible" among others. I think I'm more excited for this one than I was for SMYT even, and I was pretty excited for SMYT.

"When 5000 posts you reach / Look as good you will not, hmmm?"
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  09:43:35  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven
So just hold onto your hineys for a few months (or weeks, if that be the case) and you will be able to hear it for yourself and I do not think any true FB fan will be disappointed. Shocked? Perhaps. Elevated? Most likely.

Great, shock me Honeycomb!!
TOTY and DITS both shocked me, now they're in my all-time Top 10!

"Welcome back to the 10th grade!"
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
233 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  10:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a few weeks or a few months...man, finally a somewhat concrete timeframe. At this point in Frank's career I don't think the concept of "make or break" really applies, or even matters, as far as that goes. His ability to consistently put out great music has stood any and every test of time...moreso than any other musician in my honest opinion. So bring on honeycomb!

Any chance on getting a concrete release date?

Erik
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  12:14:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies and germs, I mean gentlemen....
If I had a release date, I'd give it to you.
The female vocalist in question is English speaking, from America, a woman of color under the age of thirty, and very well known to those who follow her genre. Not Jill Scott, in answer to the almost-asked question in the other thread. Keep guessing.
I would tell you once it was recorded, but as it isn't, there is a small chance that it will not, and then I'll have you all wound up for no reason.
But I will say this.
It isn't Tina Turner.
By the way, if any of you are in Chattanooga tomorrow I will be playing with the very talented ELLIS HOOKS (who makes an appearance on HONEYCOMB) and you should all come out to see us as it's free and in the Miller Plaza.
cryptically yours,
JT
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  12:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

Ladies and germs, I mean gentlemen....
If I had a release date, I'd give it to you.
The female vocalist in question is English speaking, from America, a woman of color under the age of thirty, and very well known to those who follow her genre.

It isn't Tina Turner.

Tina Turner has pantyhose that are older than 30.

Lauren Hill
Tracy Chapman
Cassandra Wilson
Go to Top of Page

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  13:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey John, do FB and Steve Earle know each other? That would be one helluva collaboration, in my [biased] opinion. Thoughts?
Kindly,
FranknWeezer
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  13:15:28  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alicia Keys?
Ashanti Douglas?

"Welcome back to the 10th grade!"
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  17:08:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess would be Alicia Keys. Albeit she's the only woman of color under 30 into R&B music I'm aware of. Sure, I need to get out more.
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  17:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not close.
Should I give a hint?
Another one?
Okay.
She has three albums. She is a legacy artist (not the label).
Ready, set....GO!!!!!!
(and in answer to the Steve Earle question, not that I'm aware)
best,
JT
Go to Top of Page

Bohemoth
- FB Fan -

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  17:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope the who plays what on each song list returns ala Dog in the Sand. Aposed to just one big list of everybody on the album
Go to Top of Page

whitenoisemaker
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  18:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it Norah Jones?
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  20:52:52  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apparently she has three albums:

AllMusic.com Link

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  21:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

yes please
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  00:58:19  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it isn't norah jones
that just couldn't be

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  00:59:28  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought of Norah Jones too, but Jon said we would only know her if we "followed her genre". And I think everyone knows her, even those who never listen to jazz.
Oh, and the first album listed by allmusic.com is an EP. Apart from these 2 points, everything else seems to correspond to NJ.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  01:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These guesses are all horrible. The singer is obviously new American Idol winner, Fantasia Barrino..

Let it go, ya dweebs...
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  01:46:43  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wait... There's someone called Fantasia Barrino? Is it her real name? I can't believe it.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  05:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
None of the above.
No more clues.
Keep at it.
best,
JT
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  06:43:40  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beyoncé Knowles?
Kelly Rowland?
Michelle Williams?
Lisa McClendon?
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  10:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got it Jon. I'm 100% positive. Macy Gray. That's cool cuz I ove her voice.
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  10:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She has three albums. She is very well known within her genre––hey even I own her first CD. And most importantly she is a soul artist from the old school, someone in touch with her roots. And thus interested in working with some of the greats. Come on, Jon. Do I get a prize? An early copy of the CD, some unused takes? Just kidding. But just in case.

boberg23@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  10:40:46  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She was born in 1970 though.

If the only tool you have is an elbow macaroni,
all your problems look like Schroedinger's cat.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  12:21:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for writing Jon and for keeping us guessing. It sounds like an electrifying album already, if I may use an overused term --but that's my experience with The Man: what's cliche elsewhere is the truth with him.

Because she's a 2 year-old girl and not a heterosexual male, my kid calls Norah Jones "Snorah Jones."

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  08:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No prizes yet.
No more clues.
There must be a detective amongst you. Guessing will get you nowhere.
Research!
best,
JT
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  09:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just realised that i don't care. far too much effort to research and find out. and if in the end i won't know who she is, then that'll just be an anti-climax. if i do know who she is, i'll either not like her, again that'll be an anti-climax, or if i do like her then it'll still suck because i won't be able to listen until whenever it comes out anyway.
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  11:09:31  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Atleast give us "her genre"...Otherwise it's a wild goose hunt..hmm...

"Freedom is a state of mind and the condition and position of your ass. Free your mind and your ass will follow." - Funkadelic
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  11:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is r&b, but more b.
If I say anything more, I might as well tell you. And you probably won't know her name unless you are a fan of the genre. But her voice is incredible, and she sells a heck of a lot of CDs for someone whose fans are fairly genre-specific.
At this point, I will only respond if I get a correct answer. As you can tell, I am monitoring this thread frequently so you will know if you hit it.
I've pretty much given it away.
best,
JT
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  12:50:31  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks much...Time to do some sleuthing..

"Freedom is a state of mind and the condition and position of your ass. Free your mind and your ass will follow." - Funkadelic
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  12:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok i do care...

beverly knight?
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  12:57:04  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm...

Erykah Badu?
Jill Scott?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000