Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

betty
= Cult of Ray =

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  13:07:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if i can afford to buy only one record of fb solo, which should it be?

warm wishes and fond regards,

betty

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1075 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  13:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey betty, how are you doing, nice to 'meet' you. welcome to the dilemma! My advice would be to save and get them all. But...to answer your question i can only offer my own personal advice on which album to buy. my first fb solo album was the frank black and the catholics self titled one. From there it Was Teenager of The Year, then Frank Black then Cult of Ray. That was about 98 or so and after that i got them in order of their release, Pistolero, Dog in the Sand, Black Letter Days, Devils Workshop and then Show me Your Tears. Also, not forgetting Oddballs somewhere inbetween. My favourite is probably Black Letter Days though all of them are great.
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  13:47:33  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TOTY IS THE BEST.

It's our tradition to control, Like Erich Honecker and Helmut Kohl, From the Ukraine to the Rhône. Sweet home über alles, Lord, I'm coming home. So come on, Sugar Daddy, bring me home.
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  13:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I couldn't say which is the best, but sure TOTY is the most frankblackesque.

"Welcome back to the 10th grade!"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  14:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And you get the most bang for your buck with TOTY.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  14:02:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2526

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2106

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 05/14/2004 14:05:30
Go to Top of Page

Douglas
= Cult of Ray =

Sweden
308 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  15:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

to answer your question i can only offer my own personal advice on which album to buy. my first fb solo album was the frank black and the catholics self titled one. [.....]favourite is probably Black Letter Days though all of them are great.

My first album was also the FB&C selftitled. I recommend you buy that one. that is my favourite. Black Letter Days is also great, but further away from Pixies IMO, so if you already like Pixies and now want to discover FB get the FB&C selftitled (though I'm not saying that it's the one album that sounds the most like Pixies.)
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  15:22:09  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, my first was FB&TC self-titled too! I remember thinking "woah! this is *nothing* like the Pixies". I say why skip around...start at the beginning and get the first FB self-titled album. TOTY is nice but it has way too much filler in my opinion. FB is clean and concise...straight to the point, balls to the wall, space rock.

Boycott cults and t's
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  15:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, go in chronological order. That way you get the whole transformation from Pixies to troubadour.

"Join the Cult of Ishmael / And raise a barn"
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  16:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disagree. The first solo, for myself and a few others pixies fans I know, took a good while to grow on us. I find TOTY to be much catchier. But but for my sheckels, Dog In the Sand is a good place to begin. If you like that, then you'll definately like the three albums before and the three after. His music's in consant transition between styles, and this seems right dab in the middle of FB's developed signature sound. The first two albums always seemed closer to pixies stuff then the other solo FB stuff and don't fully represent his career.

warm....warmer.....disco!

Edited by - soundofataris on 05/14/2004 16:10:27
Go to Top of Page

darkoutsider
= Cult of Ray =

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  16:56:06  Show Profile  Visit darkoutsider's Homepage  Click to see darkoutsider's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, I think the best way to get into Frank Black's solo stuff it depends what you want to hear. If you want to hear his solo stuff after the Pixies Frank Black and Teenager Of The Year is your best bet. If you want to get into the Catholics, you can't go wrong with Dog In The Sand. It's what I started with and I got hooked. I mean "Blast Off" "Stupid Me" "Bullet" "Hermaphroditos" all great songs. That'll make you one of us.

But that's only my opinion, I could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  16:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

Hey, my first was FB&TC self-titled too! I remember thinking "woah! this is *nothing* like the Pixies". I say why skip around...start at the beginning and get the first FB self-titled album. TOTY is nice but it has way too much filler in my opinion. FB is clean and concise...straight to the point, balls to the wall, space rock.

Boycott cults and t's

No filler in TOTY. Come on, I never skip a single track.

It's our tradition to control, Like Erich Honecker and Helmut Kohl, From the Ukraine to the Rhône. Sweet home über alles, Lord, I'm coming home. So come on, Sugar Daddy, bring me home.
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  17:01:55  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suggest Devil's Workshop. It has "San Antonio, TX".
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  18:07:38  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think you should get the Nadine Live EP. It's FANTASTIC. I know it's a bit abnormal to suggest an EP, but you get five fantastic songs spanning FB's career from 1989 to 2003.
Go to Top of Page

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2004 :  13:42:55  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would have to suggest getting Show Me Your Tears. I have played a lot of FB for friends who don't really know him, and that always seems to go over best for them. I find a lot people I play FB for don't really like TOTY. Truth is though, none of them were really Pixies fans. I guess if you like the Pixies, TOTY or his first self titled would be good places to begin. I started with TOTY, and since have been hooked. You can't really go wrong though, the man hasn't made a bad album.

Aloha means goodbye, and also hello.
Go to Top of Page

vigorstrength
- FB Fan -

87 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2004 :  13:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Frank Black"
"Teenager of the Year"
"Cult of Ray"
"Oddballs"
"Frank Black and the Catholics"
"Pistolero"
"Dog in the Sand"
"Devil's Workshop"
"Black Letter Days"
"Show Me Your Tears"

Just throw a dart at this list and whichever it lands on, it'll be an excellent introduction of what the man's all about.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2004 :  14:02:19  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
No filler in TOTY. Come on, I never skip a single track.

I tend to think of "filler" as something thrown on to make a short album longer. When an album is as long as TOTY, I would say it isn't really a valid term. Doesn't mean every song is of equal quality, but calling anything "filler" would seem to be a misnomer, because there isn't any need for "filling."

I started with TOTY, by the way.

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  07:06:17  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, here is my list:
1.Frank Black self titled - pure pop genius, great songs, Pet Sounds vibe.

2. Black Letter Days - Great alt-country/rock album. Frank's most Americana album to date in my opinion.

3. Frank Black and the Catholics - Yellow Album - Raw, rough and ready. The songs are great, very cruisy but edgy.

Those are my top Frank Black albums. "Dog in the Sand" gets a fair few spins and is an easy "in" album. Worth checking out if you still have some cash left over...
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  11:44:37  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Go for Teenager Of The Year.

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2004 :  00:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOTY definetely. No fillers, just great fun.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2004 :  02:40:19  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut
[br3. Frank Black and the Catholics - Yellow Album

Yellow?
isn't it brown?
or is it orange?

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

the thing
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2004 :  03:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOTY - best Frank Black album - best Black Francis album - best Charles Thompson album - best album

My head was feeling scared, but my heart was feeling free
Go to Top of Page

astrosurfer
- FB Fan -

Italy
39 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2004 :  05:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the next

sorry for my english language..
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  08:10:39  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TOTY, and no regrets!

If the only tool you have is an elbow macaroni,
all your problems look like Schroedinger's cat.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  08:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Find a Delorian, go back to 1993 and start from there to get the true Frank Black thrill ride experience. Some memoirs of the FB experience:

1993: "What!? The Pixies broke up? Black Francis has a solo album?! He's calling himself Frank Black now?!"

1994: I was walking through a crappy over-priced mall record store...and spotted that beautiful white cover of 'Teenager of the Year'. Mind you, these are the days before the internet took off, and I didn't have too many resources for finding out when FB records came out. This is the only time I've ever paid $19.99 for a CD.

1995: "When the hell is FB coming out with a new album?"

1996: "Dear god in heavens...FB has a new album!! Cool, he changed record labels."

1997: "When the hell is FB coming out with a new album?"

1998 part a: "When the hell is FB coming out with a new album?"

1998 part b: After the longest drought between records - "Frank Black and the Catholics?!! Awesome...he's got an official back up band!! He's taken a slightly different turn lyrically, but it's good."

1999: "Pistolero...and the cover art is reminiscent of the Pixies."

2000: "When the hell is FB coming out with a new album?"

2001: "Dog in the Sand...his most polished Catholics era release, with keyboards added." Later that year I had my best concert moment hearing "If It Takes All Night" live.

2002: "What?! TWO albums? On the same day?! I'm in heaven. Whoa...where is Rich Gilbert on 'Devil's Workshop'? He's not done with the Catholics, is he?" Later that year, I was relieved to see Rich Gilbert perform at a FB&C's show.

2003: He's going back to some country/folk/rock roots with Show Me Your Tears. Great album...I knew he had to get it out of his system when I heard "Six Sixty Six" back in 1998.

2004: The Pixies??!!

Man, was I born at the right time in history.

1. I am a fsh with no i's.
2. You must be wearing Zubaz, 'cause you're daring to be different.
3. I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

holidaysong
- FB Fan -

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  03:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Calistanian - great little FB timeline

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Éireann go Brách
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  06:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should by all of them! They are all so very good! So different from each other!
I can´t choose one!

rita.r
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  09:18:09  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's like Lay's Potato Chips! No one can eat just one.

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Go to Top of Page

meifen
- FB Fan -

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  21:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my first was fb&c Dog In the Sand. It was cool, but my second, frank black, was teenager of the year. BadASS

-----------------
"You think you're so cool cuz you can pee with your penis...!" -Rob Schneider
Go to Top of Page

jefry
- FB Fan -

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  22:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello

D=RxT
Go to Top of Page

GypsyDeath
Zapped Profile

3575 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2004 :  08:10:29  Show Profile  Visit GypsyDeath's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TOTY, no question about it.

Just thought I'd throw that in there...
Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2004 :  09:12:48  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well Betty I'm sure you've bought TOTY by now and you must be a very happy Betty because of it too. Don't let these guys make you forget about Show Me Your Tears though. After you've loved TOTY to bits go for SMYT. Agh, just go for the whole lot.

wilhelm
Go to Top of Page

FrankfanL
- FB Fan -

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  13:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't go wrong with any of them, however, I recommend Teenager of the Year.
Go to Top of Page

usedtobenavajo
- FB Fan -

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  17:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teenager of the Year is so amazing. You'll love it.

If you dont, I hate to say it, but there is something wrong with you.

So Im headed for the stereo store, to buy a white noise maker, and turn it up to ten.
Go to Top of Page

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  05:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TO TY or NOT TO TY?

that is the question
Go to Top of Page

betty
= Cult of Ray =

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2004 :  20:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'll ty, as in thank you for all of your illuminating comments awesome place! i still don't have any solo fb, as i bought pot instead, but i will get paid monday and plan on doing the chronological menue.

love!

warm wishes and fond regards,

betty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000