Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  04:44:19  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve Cropper was in the Stax Pistols on Breathless. I can guess that Frank Black loves all those old Stax records, I wonder how far back a connection with Cropper goes.

How did FB get to do two songs on Brace Yourself? Was Cropper around when FB recorded Handyman and invite him to do Breathless?

My word for this is stunning. I'm thrilled. Great musicians and great connections.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  08:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

"nashville number system"

HIGHWAY TO LOWDOWN
LONE CHILD
ATOM IN MY HEART
SELKIE BRIDE
STRANGE GOODBYE
SAD MAN'S SONG
VELVET NIGHTMARE
SING FOR JOY
VIOLET
I BURN TODAY
KISS MY RING
GO FIND YOUR SAINT
SUNDAY SUNNY MILL VALLEY GROOVE DAY
WHERE THE WIND IS GOING
MY LIFE IS IN STORAGE / FUNK
HONEYCOMB
NEEDLE IN MY ARM
SONG OF THE SHRIMP
DARK END OF THE STREET

DAN PENN, SPOONER OLDHAM, STEVE CROPPER, DAVID HOOD, REGGIE YOUNG, BUDDY MILLER, AKIL THOMPSON, CHESTER THOMPSON, ANTON FIG, BILLY BLOCK, JIMMY GRIFFIN. PRODUCED BY JON TIVEN.

easter present from Frank! i just found some new songs. looks like a few more tracks have just been added to the new album. thanks Frank! looking forward to getting the new album and seeing you with the old band in vancouver in a couple of weeks! happy easter.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."

Edited by - fumanbru on 04/11/2004 08:37:06
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  08:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frnck added 2 new songs (including SSMVGD) and changed the album title.

19 songs!!! If I were the King I'd call this album 'Nashvillian of the Year'.

"Welcome back to the 10th grade!"

Edited by - Frog in the Sand on 04/11/2004 09:04:55
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  09:24:37  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

I agree. Frank's a sharp lookin' rock 'n' roller. Even if he does like to leave his Caps Lock key on.

I want to look that badass when I'm 39.

Not like it is that old or something. Aren't Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt (among others) turning 40 this year? And, dontcha know, 40 is the new 30.
Go to Top of Page

Picapiedra
- FB Fan -

121 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  09:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can just picture Frank just jamming with Steve Cropper a year or so ago, when Steve Cropper jokingly says, "I'm get'n the band back together." Then Frank is struck by a ray of light while James Brown is preachinging on the sermon.
-roger.

"Drug run'n on this Panamanian schooner."
Go to Top of Page

Minky303
- FB Fan -

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  11:16:55  Show Profile  Visit Minky303's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatchetman

quote:
Originally posted by Minky303

Dammit, what does 'kiss my ring' mean in british.

'British' isn't a language...... but in Britain it means 'kiss my ass' (or should that be 'arse'?)

Hatchetman

You just can't do anything on purposive these days. Nevertheless, thanks for explaining! I need more UK slang in my life
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  12:01:50  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

quote:

"nashville number system"

HIGHWAY TO LOWDOWN
LONE CHILD
ATOM IN MY HEART
SELKIE BRIDE
STRANGE GOODBYE
SAD MAN'S SONG
VELVET NIGHTMARE
SING FOR JOY
VIOLET
I BURN TODAY
KISS MY RING
GO FIND YOUR SAINT
WHERE THE WIND IS GOING
HONEYCOMB
NEEDLE IN MY ARM
SONG OF THE SHRIMP
DARK END OF THE STREET

DAN PENN, SPOONER OLDHAM, STEVE CROPPER, DAVID HOOD, REGGIE YOUNG, BUDDY MILLER, AKIL THOMPSON, CHESTER THOMPSON, ANTON FIG, BILLY BLOCK, JIMMY GRIFFIN. PRODUCED BY JON TIVEN.

easter present from Frank! i just found some new songs. looks like a few more tracks have just been added to the new album. thanks Frank! looking forward to getting the new album and seeing you with the old band in vancouver in a couple of weeks! happy easter.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."

I like the album title 'honeycomb' better, but 2 more songs aren't that bad.
So maybe all the SSMVGD songs are going to be released? And so they should! I love those songs!

Sometimes different versions but still:

Pan American Highway (b-side, maybe on 'One more road for the hit')
Angst (b-side, maybe on 'One more road for the hit')
Sleep (b-side, maybe on 'Snake Oil')
Constant Sorrow Man (b-side, maybe on 'One more road for the hit')
Le cigare Volant (extra track on DITS, maybe on 'One more road for the hit')
I will run after you (BLD)
Sister Isabelle (BBC sessions with Teenage Fanclub)
Humboldt County Massacre (b-side, maybe on 'One more road for the hit')
His Kingly Cave (DW)
and now SSMVGD

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  13:01:21  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is the list of songs Frank posted supposed to be the songs he has recorded, or the official tracklist of the new album, or the songs he wrote for the album.............?

Join the Cult of Pi - It's just 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097....
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  13:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a few observations:

"Dark End Of The Street" was the very first song that Penn/Oldham wrote and sold. It was originally a hit for James Carr, but most folks who hear his version today mistakenly think it's Wilson Picket or Otis Redding. Wilson may have at some point done a cover of it - I'm not sure. Gram Parsons did an unusual arrangement of it on one of his solo albums that a lot of folks are familiar with.

Dylan connections: Spooner Oldham toured with Bob Dylan on his Gospel tours of 1979 -81, playing Hammond organ, and appeared on his 1980 religios LP "Saved". Anton Fig cut sessions with Bob for 1985's "Empire Burlesque" LP.

Bass player David Hood (of the famed Muscle Shoals Studios) has a son named Patterson who is a key member of the highly regarded Athens, GA Americana band The Drive-By-Truckers.

I'm betting that since he's recording this one with so many people **of this caliber** in such a short period of time, that it will be live to 2-track...

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  13:53:17  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oooh, a new version of SSMVGD. I love that song. I found the album title of the same name's version to be somewhat weak...I hope this one is as powerful as the solo version from that radio show.

"Join the Cult of Brit / And let your oral hygiene go out the window."
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  14:23:18  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hasn't anyone noticed that he dropped a song? "I've Been All Around the World" is now absent from the list. And there are three new ones: "Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day," "Sad Man's Song," and "Needle in My Arm."

I really, really loved the album name Honeycomb. Shame about that change...but I'll get used to the new one easily enough.

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

GypsyDeath
Zapped Profile

3575 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  14:42:35  Show Profile  Visit GypsyDeath's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Adnan -americans and the word awesome, I have often found to be endlessamusement, but im sure, after a while, if overly used can be incredibly annoying.

Kiss my Ring - we refer to the sphinter (sp?) as the 'ring'...so, yeah.

Boys go to Jupiter, Get more stupider,
Girls go to Mars, Become rock stars

Wanna fuck and fight in the basement?
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  15:40:10  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hell, Frank has just edited his post, but there I can't see any difference with the previous one.

Good luck Frank and thank you.

Go to Top of Page

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  15:41:55  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

"honeycomb"

HIGHWAY TO LOWDOWN
LONE CHILD
ATOM IN MY HEART
SELKIE BRIDE
STRANGE GOODBYE
SAD MAN'S SONG
VELVET NIGHTMARE
SING FOR JOY
VIOLET
I BURN TODAY
KISS MY RING
GO FIND YOUR SAINT
WHERE THE WIND IS GOING
HONEYCOMB
NEEDLE IN MY ARM
SONG OF THE SHRIMP
DARK END OF THE STREET

looks like the name has changed back to honeycomb !

----------
They are about, dressed to deceive, architect David Vincent
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  15:43:53  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
'Honeycomb', I do like that title, somewhat. It reminds me of Throwing Muses for some reason.

It's getting colder....
Go to Top of Page

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  15:58:27  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i had a bizarre dream that frank was going to cover elton john on his new release ! dunno why...could just see him singing "rocket man" !

----------
They are about, dressed to deceive, architect David Vincent
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  16:48:28  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gary13th
looks like the name has changed back to honeycomb !

Huzzah!

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  18:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
haha - hilarious..i'll wait until tomorrow to see if he changes anything else before i swap the title back on the News page. =)

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

gauth
- FB Fan -

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  20:25:12  Show Profile  Click to see gauth's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
THat is SOOOOO cool!
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  22:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see you back Peter Radiator (King of the informative posting).
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  00:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Viva 'Honeycomb'!!!

Honey has always been the food of the gods. Sure it will bring you good luck, Mr. Thompson.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  02:07:14  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe he changed it back to honeycomb, because we said we like it!
Maybe we have influence on this record
(I certainly hope not though, a bit too 'Weezer-Maladriot' to me)

misleadtheworld:
honeycomb sounds like throwing muses cause of 'honeychain'?

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  03:26:37  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now I can tell you Frnck - 'Nashville Number System' sounds like a shitty rap band name. In fact it almost sounds like a joke...

Edited by - Frog in the Sand on 04/12/2004 03:29:32
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  04:11:26  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I keeps on edit his post just to drive us crazy

Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  07:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoganZ

quote:

"honeycomb"

BLACK CELEBRATION (Gore)
HIGHWAY TO LOWDOWN
LONE CHILD
ATOM IN MY HEART
SELKIE BRIDE
STRANGE GOODBYE
SAD MAN'S SONG
VELVET NIGHTMARE
SING FOR JOY
VIOLET
I BURN TODAY
KISS MY RING
GO FIND YOUR SAINT
WHERE THE WIND IS GOING
HONEYCOMB
NEEDLE IN MY ARM
SONG OF THE SHRIMP
DARK END OF THE STREET
BLACK CELEBRATION (Gore)

Tom Waits bookends were enough, glad Frank edited this Depeche Mode idea before everyone got to see it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find Logan's Lost Blue Tosselhat

very funny. but i do like the mode.
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  07:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frog in the Sand

Now I can tell you Frnck - 'Nashville Number System' sounds like a shitty rap band name. In fact it almost sounds like a joke...

True. That may be. But there is something called the Nashville Number System. It's how musicians do charts in that part of the world.

Edited by - frnck blck on 04/12/2004 07:23:05
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  07:32:38  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He he, I can imagine Frank touring with Eminem...

Edited by - Adnan_le_Terrible on 04/12/2004 07:34:26
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  07:38:23  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Charts?

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  08:00:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gypsydeath and Adnan: I'm neither Jim nor American. :) And I promise I only use the word 'awesome' for moments when I am filled with awe. I expect to be shouting it out between every song and probably sometimes during the songs the Wednesday in Winnipeg, and if I have any voice left, Saturday in Saskatoon.

Ooh, I just noticed the WW/SS thing. Eery, I wonder if they meant to do that <twilight zone music>.

Anyway, now I'm ready for a longer-than-one-word response here. First of all, 12 musicians total, I believe the same number (or was it 15) that played on Manitoba. Imagine a full album of Manitobas! Including a reworked SSMVGD (though it could never be the same without EDF on the organs!). But where's the extended version of Coastline?!

Honeycomb is a great title. By itself or because it connects to his previous Catholics records and Jainism. And I'm curious how many of these are covers, looks like quite a high proportion in comparison to other albums, though I'm not saying that's too many. Still, I crave new material and there are a few songs on there like Violet that I'm fairly certain are new tracks.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  08:07:17  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry Dean, I was very "tired" when I posted that.

Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  08:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome. I liked Nasvhille Number System, didn't mind it being called that seeing as there's already a song called Honeycomb on the album, the more FB titles the better.

I'm excited for Steve Cropper, I grew up on the Blues Brothers.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  10:00:47  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With a band like that, and Frank Black digging in to the archives, I would have thought Sir Rockabye would be a natural?
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  10:53:12  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Frog in the Sand

True. That may be. But there is something called the Nashville Number System. It's how musicians do charts in that part of the world.

Merci Monsieur Thompson. I didn't know that.

Go to Top of Page

Bohemoth
- FB Fan -

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  11:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes I learned steel with the number system
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  12:22:38  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
who cares what the title is....
i just can't wait to hear the fucking songs.

bring on whenever the release date is..

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000