Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  19:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Albert is on Albert and the King's Head is on King. If you look at the map in the previous post, you can see that the two street are very close together. Just a couple of minutes to walk from one to the other.
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  19:21:52  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I wonder how I will remember this. Seems very complicated.

That website is very cool though. I saved a copy of the downtown in PDF so I can find my way around. Sweet!

We are also thinking about checking out Assiniboine Park during the day. Don't know where that is, but it seems like a worthwhile thing to see.

Edited by - porkbone1 on 03/10/2004 19:26:58
Go to Top of Page

pixiesarethegreatest
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  21:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assibiboine park (aka city park) is nice its the largest park in the city. The zoo, conservatory, leo mol garden is located there. It's awesome to go in the summer tons of people and good place to hang out, not sure if much will be happening in april though but still worth cecking out. Also, osborne is a cool little area (nice stores/restaurants) to check out.
Go to Top of Page

Qris
- FB Fan -

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  22:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Qris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Soup Pierre on Portage. Best sandwiches and soup in town - 4 minutes from Walker. You really need to know nothing else as far as food goes! Chocolate Shop (also on portage very close to Marlborough) is pretty good burger fries type place. Was a question on Jeopardy once even - so you know its good. Also has a mean karaoke if I recall correctly.

www.qris.net
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  02:02:47  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought City Park was a company that ran parking lots.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  02:19:32  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Assiniboine Park is not all that close to downtown, the easy way to find it is to go down Portage, it's past the Clarion, you'll pass the Assiniboine Hotel the big 'A' and there's a place called Sergeant or Sargent Sunday's with some obelisks in front of it. The other side of Portage is a park with a foot bridge over the river, that's the entry way. Actually there may still be a shop that rents bicycles beside Sargent Sunday's.

It's very big, 300 acres of park, 100 acres of zoo 700 acres of forest. Drive down Wellington Cres.

I do hope it's pleasant, we were having a nasty blizzard tonight.

Edited by - hammerhands on 03/11/2004 05:05:53
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  04:45:31  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I want to go there so I can continually say the word, "ass"
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  06:55:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget to the statue of the real "Winnie the Pooh". He was named after Winnipeg. That's near the zoo, right?

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  08:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's in the zoo. You go through the gate and it's on your left by the children's discovery center.

Edited by - gunner on 03/11/2004 08:51:51
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  11:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Winnipeg is going to be upstaged for being the first to have the Pixies...

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnipeg is still going to freaking rock, make no mistake about it. I hope not too many people change their plans. I know I won't.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhh no...I'll be there! Like I said before, I'm going to tell everybody I went to their first concert anyway! Also, if they're sneaking a concert in before Winnipeg, they're going to sneak one in somewhere before the Mpls one. Although I live in Minnesota, I'm not going to be as desperate trying to get hands on these tickets as I was for Winnipeg. At least I'm fortunate enough to see them at all!
The Pixies have to have the most loyal fans ever!

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhh no...I'll be there! Like I said before, I'm going to tell everybody I went to their first concert anyway! Also, if they're sneaking a concert in before Winnipeg, they're going to sneak one in somewhere before the Mpls one. Although I live in Minnesota, I'm not going to be as desperate trying to get hands on these tickets as I was for Winnipeg. At least I'm fortunate enough to see them at all!
The Pixies have to have the most loyal fans ever!

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

Gratefuljason3
- FB Fan -

60 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Like I said before, I'm going to tell everybody I went to their first concert anyway!

Amen.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I agree ... I am not expecting this to be the first of the tour. There's the Toronto rumor, there's those cryptic posts from "friend of joseph alberto" on the LA thread, and then the inevitable surprise no one is talking about...
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But I also agree with GratefulJason and the Calistanian about not too much of the sheen not coming off of Winnipeg. I know I keep saying it, just want to keep the troops motivated.
Go to Top of Page

obijohngordon
- FB Fan -

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You read my mind jackanapes; ambassadors it is. We can definately jump between the Albert and the King's Head since they're both within a couple of blocks of the venue.

I'd like to second gunner's suggestion of checking out the Wagon Wheel for lunch. It's one of the 'pegs best kept secrets.

Also check out discoverwinnipeg.ca for hotel and other info. I found a great online map of downtown winnipeg with hotel locations on it but now I'm not sure where it is. I'll find it again and let you all know.

> Check out my show! "Pop Infusion" Tuesdays, 4-5pm CST on 101.5 UMFM, Winnipeg or umfm.com <
Go to Top of Page

Gratefuljason3
- FB Fan -

60 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:49:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
But I also agree with GratefulJason and the Calistanian about not too much of the sheen not coming off of Winnipeg. I know I keep saying it, just want to keep the troops motivated.

You're right. I was pissed, for about 5 minutes. Then I thought to myself: My God, you're going to see the Pixies live. Who gives a shit if it's the first or fiftieth show? It's the motherfucking Pixies.

I'm pumped again. Thanks roomloo.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gratefuljason3

quote:

You're right. I was pissed, for about 5 minutes. Then I thought to myself: My God, you're going to see the Pixies live. Who gives a shit if it's the first or fiftieth show? It's the motherfucking Pixies.

I'm pumped again. Thanks roomloo.

Amen! I'm feeling better too. WE'RE GOING TO SEE THE PIXIES!!!

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:58:24  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering now if I should go to the Winnipeg show or to the Vancouver one...
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  13:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have good seats, go to the Winnipeg one, because you're guaranteed to be at least that close, and you'll probably end up closer.
Being the others are general admission, you'll have to be there really early to get a good place, and you can't go to the bathroom or anything without losing it.

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  13:05:25  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, those are some good points there... My tickets are for near the back of the first balcony. I'm sure they're still decent though. Hmm. We shall see.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  13:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find myself having more anxiety over general admission shows, because I worry for about a month leading up to the concert about where I'll be able to stand, if I'll be close enough. I'm 5'8", so I'm better off in the front. It's kind of cool not having to worry about the Winnipeg one because a.)it's a sloped theatre, and b.)I have an assigned seat, so I know I'll be at least that close, and when people start cramming forward, I'll probably get a few more rows closer. And if everybody stays where they are, there's not a bad seat in the house anyway.

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  13:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have a bit of a phobia about general admission. I saw The Ramones at Brixton Academy in London in 1990. It was general admission on the main floor. We managed to get nice and close to the front of the stage, but when the show started there was such a push that I had the wind knocked out of me and couldn't breath. Fortunately I was with my then girlfriend, now wife, and we held each other up and managed to escape to some relative safety a little further back. Had we not been together, I'm sure we would have been crushed. It was a crazy concert, and a great show, but an experience I'll never forget. That being said, I'm thankful for the set up at the Burton.

Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  13:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[Moved to Minneapolis thread]

Edited by - roomloo on 03/11/2004 13:42:21
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  16:02:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by porkbone1

I want to go there so I can continually say the word, "ass"

ya ass park is pretty cool. that's where i proposed to the mrs.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  19:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live here but it's never crossed my mind that I could see Pooh in the Ass.
I must be losin' it.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  19:49:18  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pooh in the Ass!!!!
Go to Top of Page

obijohngordon
- FB Fan -

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  19:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found out about Minneapolis. While some are pissed off, I look at it this way: My dream concert has always been for the Pixies to reform and play at an intimate venue in my home town. This first show stuff is just gravy. As well, think about this: Winnipeg never, ever gets something this exciting. The crowd is going to be pumped up beyond anyones wildest dreams.

And the Wagon Wheel still has the best club house sandwiches.

and there's Pooh in the Ass!!!!! LOL!

BTW, go to http://winnipeg.ca/interhom/maps/ and click on Interactive Map of Winnipeg; you can then request a map showing hotel locations. The venue is a block over from the Ramada Marlborough.

> Check out my show! "Pop Infusion" Tuesdays, 4-5pm CST on 101.5 UMFM, Winnipeg or umfm.com <
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  20:08:19  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to make some decisions.. Just curious what you guys would pick: seeing the Winnipeg show -or- seeing both Vancouver shows.
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  20:09:49  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
p.s. we talked about the general admission thing versus the assigned seating.. that's certainly a factor. but I'm still trying to decide. Seeing two shows in Vancouver would be great, but the one Winnipeg will be extra special too.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  20:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it were me I'd do the two Vancouver...

Although if you don't do Vancouver I'll trade you a Minneapolis for a 4/23 ;)
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  20:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then again ... I dunno. I'm expecting a more interesting show in Vancouver with the venue and all, and a pretty cool city, but there is still a buzz around Winnipeg and I'm looking forward to meeting the people there. So I guess you're right, it's not so cut and dried.

Edited by - roomloo on 03/11/2004 20:19:22
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  20:13:50  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roomloo

If it were me I'd do the two Vancouver...

Although if you don't do Vancouver I'll trade you a Minneapolis for a 4/23 ;)

Heh see this is the thing. I only have a ticket for the 22nd so I may try to trade a Winnipeg or a Minneapolis for a 4/23.

This is like trading baseball cards...
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  20:15:25  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah, the Winnipeg one will be something special. obviously there are some good arguments either way. the other thing is that the vancouver shows are after my exams and also my brother lives there so I could stay for longer in the city.

decisions, decisions..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000