Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  20:17:31  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In any case, I'm damn lucky to have gotten tickets to all these shows so I apologize to those who don't have tickets themselves and are angry at me for deliberating like this.
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  17:36:56  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well after a day of half-disappointment, I am stoked again about the Winnipeg show. Of course, I may also be going to the show in Minneapolis, so that helps. Anyway, I don't think this thread is going anywhere.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2004 :  21:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking to upgrade your Pixies collection. I was in A&B Sound today and they had Surfer Rosa, Bossanova, and Doolittle for $12.99 each!!! If you have an entertainment coupon book, there is a coupon in there for 20% off. That works out to just over $10 for each CD. What a deal!!

Edited by - gunner on 03/14/2004 08:03:29
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  12:09:58  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a question about King's Head -- does everyone need a membership, or if two people walk in the door together they can just "buy a membership" once? Or, more importantly, if six people walked in the door at the same time... you get the idea?

The joke has come upon me
Go to Top of Page

obijohngordon
- FB Fan -

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  14:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What!? No Trompe for 12.99? Those selective bastards.

I believe anyone with a membership is allowed one guest. Anyone out there want to confirm this?

> Check out my show! "Pop Infusion" Tuesdays, 4-5pm CST on 101.5 UMFM, Winnipeg or umfm.com <
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  23:16:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alright, so we're booked in at the Marlborough for the 14th. We're actually going to drive up on the 13th, we should get there between 1-2 AM, but we're going to find some cheap place near the outskirts (west-central along the trans-can) and then spend the whole day in Winnipeg hanging out and seeing what there is to be seen. Not sure what we're going to do for the day, but cool recommendations are more than appreciated.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  00:58:55  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just found one of the coolest sites on Winnipeg. Some things just pass you by day to day!
www.themuralsofwinnipeg.com

Freaking spectacular!

120 King St. is next door to the Kings' Head and is historic and derelict at the same time.

58 Albert St. is beside the Albert.

The ones at 187 Garry St. are the Windsor Hotel, very cool.

Edited by - hammerhands on 03/15/2004 03:50:23
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  18:23:47  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey cool website! I will have to bring my camera -- those murals are really cool. Are there an unusual number of murals in Winnipeg or something?

One good thing about reserved seating at the show, we don't have to get there too early to line up or anything...

Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  09:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be going to the King's Head with a couple of other "members" for a pre show meal. If anyone would like to join us as a "guest", let us know. We could then hang out at the pub or walk over to the Albert for a "pop".

I wonder if anyone here has any connections with the King's Head. I know that for certain events like the Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival, they have "free memberships" for the duration of the festival. Perhaps we could arrange a free membership night for the day of the concert so all of our out of town guest can hang out with us.
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  18:35:46  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the free membership idea. I think many people are leaning towards the Albert just for that reason. Personally I like good beer and I like food. King's head sounds like more my type of place, even though I will likely go to both...

Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  19:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we've, ahem, forgotten about this thread.

Anyway, last night at the movies I saw a few teasers for this movie ... anyone hear anything about it? It seems to be vaguely relevant to this thread.

http://saddestmusic.com

Edited by - roomloo on 03/18/2004 19:08:45
Go to Top of Page

Alpha Soixante
- FB Fan -

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  09:50:26  Show Profile  Visit Alpha Soixante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
this movie ... anyone hear anything about it?

Not much, but I know that it does have a Kid in the Hall, and that Isabella Rossellini's character has a pair of glass, beer-filled prosthetic legs. How can it not be good?
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  09:57:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glass, beer-filled prosthetic legs?

My ex looks exactly a lot like Isabella. I wouldn't hit her anymore but maybe if she had glass, beer filled prosthetic legs.
Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  13:12:02  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is the reason the King's Head is a club to allow smoking? I'm asking because some cities in Ontario don't allow smoking and bars circumvent this by taking advantage of a loophole that says a club with paid membership can serve alcohol and allow smoking. They only charge like 5 cents for lifetime membership.

-----------------------
http://www.geocities.com/kittridge1/
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  13:28:43  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No smoking, they have a patio if it gets warm, but it's hard to get a seat outside.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  19:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Kyle has told us in the other thread that 8 hours from Mpls to Winnipeg is about the best we can hope for, and he speaks from experience. Do we think the caravan could really leave by 8 in the morning on Wed, especially considering some will be going to the show Tuesday night? I sure as hell would like to try, at least. Leaving at 8am plus all the collective potty stops of the caravan would get us to our hotels no sooner than 4, probably later, then we'd get to the Albert (or is King's Head more popular now?) around 5... just enough time to fraternize.

Or maybe caravan is just not the way to go. If we go separately and someone breaks down, we do have cell phones...
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  21:13:51  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't actually have a cell phone. I used to, but because it was work-related I was all too happy to get rid of it. I am actually considering getting a cell phone strictly because of this trip. Then again, how is cell coverage in northwestern Minnesota and eastern North Dakota?

Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  22:14:01  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay I don't know about the roads, but the "internet" tells me that it is 420 miles from Winnipeg to Minneapolis. That's a little over one tank of gas and I drive pretty fast. I don't know, we will play it by ear but I am thinking my wife and I will get an early start so we have a little time in Winnipeg. Not going to be much time, but whatever... we're not exactly party animals either.

Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2004 :  12:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just returned from the King's Head Pub where I talked to one of the barkeeps about a bunch of us going there on the night of the show. He said that the out of towners would not need to buy a membership. They would only need to be signed in by a member. That member can sign in as many people as he wants. He said the easiest way to do it would be to get a list of names of the people who will be going there on the 14th and then they can just check off their name as they enter. That way you don't have to actually walk in the door with a member. I would be willing to compile that list if you guys are interested. I suppose we could also have Winnipegers on that list as well.

The reason for the membership is purely about Manitoba liquor laws.

He also said that we can have the upstairs portion of the pub set aside for us if we so desired. They can accomodate up to 120 people. If there are enough people interested in doing this I could make the necessary arrangements.

As well, I got the address for their official website. It's www.kingsheadpub.ca There you can find a complete list of all the beers and liquors that they carry, as well as their full menu. They have awesome food. If there is enough interest I can set up a meeting with the owner next week sometime to work out all the details.

So, let me know what you guys think.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  00:22:37  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It would be nice for them to have the second floor open (it's often closed during the week), but I don't think anyone would want to be isolated from the rest of the people...or are they trying to isolate the FBnetters from the rest of the people?

And they don't have Smithwicks upstairs.
Go to Top of Page

S.I.X
- FB Fan -

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  03:23:21  Show Profile  Click to see S.I.X's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Am i to understand that you guys aren't from the peg? Jeez. Where y'all coming from? I'd check myself, but it's a long assed post...can i swear in this forum? if not, sorry, not to do again. The burton cummings theatre isn't in the greatest part of town if my geography serves me right, which it never does...of course, there aren't many good parts of town. if you're there for any length of time, i suggest checking out the cinemtheque - great indy films, umm...lesse...i don't quite know what else we got...we have a juniors...er, a couple of 'em...is that chain? i think it is...great fries though...The St. Vital mall has got to be my favorite if you're going shopping, overpriced movies though, Cinema City 8 has cheap ones...We used to have a few pic-a-pops, but they've mostly closed, or from what i hear there's like, two still open, but they only have crap. Oh, also, we have a 7-Eleven for like, every street. So, buy a slurpee. Except that 7-Eleven is corporate evil..but hey, we have a title to uphold! (Slurpee capital of the world...yeah, it's not much, but atleast it's not a giant hat or something.) No good sports teams to speak of, the Bombers are alright CFL, but football is done, and the Goldeyes are great in their league, but it's minors, so no one cares. And the moose...well...they try...Wish we had more going on, but we don't...except it's kind of warming up now..finally...Spring is trying it's damndest. Have fun in the peg.
Go to Top of Page

obijohngordon
- FB Fan -

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  08:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yer awesome gunner. Is anyone else thinking that this would be a great place to meet after the show as well as preshow? After all, we're going to need to unwind and dissect the show note by note.

> Check out my show! "Pop Infusion" Tuesdays, 4-5pm CST on 101.5 UMFM, Winnipeg or umfm.com <
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  08:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'll be a bit of everywhere. I'm thinking Albert for a few. Kingshead for a few more. After rereading the menu this is definately a must for me now. Back to the Albert on the way to the show for another.
Not 100% on after but definately Bar Italia because it's near my house and it totally rocked with fans after the Frank Black gig.
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  11:01:45  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gunner, the King's Head sounds great. Are you going there after the show or before?

Just bought my plane tickets for Winnipeg...
Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  14:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably both. Although I might check out the Albert at some point too.
Go to Top of Page

obijohngordon
- FB Fan -

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  19:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the Albert & the King's Head are so close to each other & since I'll be on an uncontrollable Pixies high ("there's no sugar in Pixie sticks"), I'm thinkning I might just be running back and forth between the two...screaming & yelling...probably with my shirt off...waving it like a flag...etc...etc...

Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  20:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember, this is Winnipeg. I think we're still working on getting a chopper. Remove the "h" from chopper and that shouldn't be a problem. Done it many o' time.
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  20:18:16  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Or, add a "t" to the word chopper, and you get what Mr. T calls a "chopter"

http://bfcgroup.com/helluvatough/tchopter.wav

Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  20:19:04  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So how close are the two pubs to each other anyway? (I'm sure this was discussed earlier...)
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  20:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or, try this http://www.brunching.com/mrtname.html.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  20:58:43  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like looking at unique pubs, or with an interesting theme and/or interesting ideas. As well as that brew their own beer. Sort of the same thing with restaurants/food. Any suggestions? Do the places listed fall into any of the above categories?

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  20:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have created a website where you can sign up to be on the guest list for the King's Head Pub on the night of the Pixies concert in Winnipeg. I have never created a website before, so I hope it all works smoothly.

The idea is simple. You add your name to the guestbook and the day of the concert I will take the list to the King's Head. When you arrive at the King's Head for the Pre or Post show gathering all you have to do is tell them that you are on the list as my guest and they will let you in without having to pay for a membership.

I hope this idea works for everyone. It seemed to me to be the easiest way to accomplish this.

Let me know what you think.

http://ca.geocities.com/kpgordon17/
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  21:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just signed. Gunner YOU RULE! First log a Phrank?
Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  21:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First log was just a test.
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  21:10:44  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gunner, that's a wonderful idea!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000