Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  20:23:00  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like a giant mega-corporation that has grown too large, it has been proposed that we break our Winnipeg thread into smaller parts. What began as a speculation thread, morphed into a "what's there to do in Winnipeg" zone for a while, then turned into a full-on ticket trading forum.

Due to the 22-plus pages and hundreds of posts, we are leaving the home planet and colonizing this lonely thread.

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  20:25:40  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello, self! Hey just wanted to let you know I will be staying at the Marlborough Hotel, and plan to go to the Albert before the show. From what I understand, I'm not the only one...
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  20:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Count me in as well. Think we can sell out the Marlborough with Pixies fans?
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  21:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has to be a short thread. I live in Winnipeg. If you're here for one or two days only then the best thing you will see will most definately be the show. Perhaps you might be accosted on the way to the gig. You'll probably forget about it later. Strangely enough I'm watching a PBS special on Portage and Main. From those coming from Toronto, the one thing going is huuuuge big blue skies. You lack those in the east. Don't go to the Forks, it's a trap!

Edited by - jackanapes on 03/09/2004 21:15:20
Go to Top of Page

Qris
- FB Fan -

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  23:14:27  Show Profile  Visit Qris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So where you guys want to meet? Matt... you said you are coming here the 13th? Bunch of us should meet... why not stretch this thing into a two day thing to look forward to...

I have vehicle and I speak the local language. Could pick up any other 13th-arriving-non-locals (provided there are 4 of you or less as I ain't gots a limo) and haul them over to - i dunno - Osborne village freehouse? I am still undecided about the place (a little yuppie) but lots of room to grow no matter how many show up and it has good beer. And attractive bar wenches. And beer.
Or we could ignore jackanapes Akbarian warning and go to the forks just to spite him.

www.qris.net
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  07:06:32  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got my reservation through Expedia.com -- so hopefully everything is fine there. If 30% of the people coming to this show are coming from out of town, and most stay at the Marlborough, I don't see why we couldn't help sell the place out.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  08:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a side point...we need to work together to remember the setlist for the show, because I'm going to want to print that out and keep it.

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  09:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking I'd bring a notebook. Not sure if I'd actually follow through with it, but I don't think I'd be able to remember 30 songs in order either.

Maybe we could assign blocks of five to different people? Everyone will remember the first two or three without trying, but then we could like assign songs 3-7 to someone, 6-10 to someone else, then 8-12, etc. Need some overlap for double-checking.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  09:28:44  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have plans in the works and none of you will have to worry about a setlist. That's all I can say at the moment. ;)

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  09:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, let's start the rumor mill rolling. You're getting a soundboard recording, aren't you? Awesome! :)
Go to Top of Page

MiamiMb
- FB Fan -

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  10:17:23  Show Profile  Visit MiamiMb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those of you coming from outside of Winnipeg, bring a pack of smokes with you, even if you don't smoke. Especially if you are going to be walking anywhere near the threatre at night. You'll figure out why pretty quickly.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  11:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

We have plans in the works and none of you will have to worry about a setlist. That's all I can say at the moment. ;)

OOOOOHHHHHHH...exCITing!
Do we all get free videotapes of the concert?

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  11:25:02  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid it's nothing that exciting, at least not yet. ;)

On an unrelated note, does someone going to the show have a good recorder for taping direct from the soundboard? :P

Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  12:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, totally unrelated ... uh huh ...
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  12:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiMb

For those of you coming from outside of Winnipeg, bring a pack of smokes with you, even if you don't smoke. Especially if you are going to be walking anywhere near the threatre at night. You'll figure out why pretty quickly.

What's this about now?

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  12:35:10  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, nah, I'm not taping the show in any way unfortunately. But I'm sure that they will be taping it and probably even releasing it at the end of their tour, who knows. Or saving it for DVD 2.

Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  12:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a post a few weeks ago about cigarettes being some ugodly price in Winnipeg. I assume the person meant you could make some friends/cash by importing some of your own.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  12:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Heh, nah, I'm not taping the show in any way unfortunately. But I'm sure that they will be taping it and probably even releasing it at the end of their tour, who knows. Or saving it for DVD 2.

That would rock soooo good! You going to the show Cult of Frank?

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  13:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I shall be there and quite thoroughly excited.

Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  13:30:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking that when I get there, and I'm in the crowd, I'll yell: "Frankblack.net!" And I'll expect lots of cheers, and hopefully people will yell out their usernames. Then I will yell out my username, and it will turn into one big lovefest.

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  13:35:13  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm bring my mini disc player for recording the show, along with my sony microphone.
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  14:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was me that made a plea for cigarettes. Lot's of cigarettes.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  14:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where's the best place to hide these media components...hide them in your crotch?

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  14:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One vote for crotch. I was thinking of bringing my cam to the pre-show. Of course this might depend on finding a friend who hasn't any tickets to grab it from me before I go in. My cams pretty small but I would look too "crotch-tacular" to get in.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  14:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just don't hit the zoom button!

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  14:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnipeggers, remind me later and I'll bring in a load of smokes. In the spirit of this forum, I will merely charge face value (I'm not a smoker so I don't have a use for them otherwise). Hopefully I can assume they're easy to get across the border.

So what kind of cigarette would a Winnipegean like to smoke?

Edited by - roomloo on 03/10/2004 14:35:11
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  14:36:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roomloo, I think that you are only allowed 2 cartons per person at the border. Whenever I'm in the states I tend to smoke Marlboroughs (coincidence?)
Got off early from work and I'm superbound.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  14:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity, how far does this cigarette tax extend? People say "Winnipeg" but I assume it must extend a little further than that, otherwise it wouldn't be quite so special to have hordes of Americans descending on your town...
Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  14:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pulled this off the Customs Canada website. Just so no one has any undo delays at the border.

Americans Entering Canada: Each American resident entering Canada for a visit of at least 24 hours, may bring, Duty Free, as part of their baggage allowance: 40 oz. of liquor or 24 cans/bottles of beer and all these items: 1 carton of cigarettes, 400 grams of tobaco, 50 cigars, 400 tobacco sticks, perfume and gifts. Alcohol and tobacco may not be declared as gifts.

As far as cigarette taxes, they are set at by the Provinces. Cigs in Ontario are a lot cheaper than here. But I don't smoke, so I'm not sure how big a difference it is.

Also, check out the following link. There is a news story today about 2 guys who are being charged for smoking in a donut shop in Winnipeg.

http://winnipeg.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=mb_smoking20040310

Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  14:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically all of Canada. They're a little cheaper in Ontario. I think I paid about 55 canadian earlier this year for a carton where as in winnipeg they are closer to 80. In the east however they have indian reservations where you can buy inexpensive smokes. I've been losing my mind trying to find cheaper stuff here. It's strange to think that I could be a fully functional crack or meth addict for less than what I'm paying for smokes.
/end rant

Gunner, 400 tobacco sticks = 2 cartons of smokes. I know you just copied it from the site but it's not the first time the gov. has screwed up their info.

Edited by - jackanapes on 03/10/2004 14:59:27
Go to Top of Page

obijohngordon
- FB Fan -

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  14:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I've said before, I'm planning on being at the King's Head tavern for preshow. Is anyone else going to be there? I would hate to miss out if you're all going to be at the Albert. If so, I'll have to convince my friends that the Albert is the place to be.

> Check out my show! "Pop Infusion" Tuesdays, 4-5pm CST on 101.5 UMFM, Winnipeg or umfm.com <
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  15:00:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obijohn, who says you can't do both dude? We could be like A winnipeg shuttle service(on foot of course) taking people from one place to the other. What do ya think? We could be ambassadors.

Edited by - jackanapes on 03/10/2004 15:39:47
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  18:25:36  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does the Albert have any food? And what's the deal with King's Head being membership only?

My main interest is to be in a place with as many Pixies fans as possible before the show. Someone said the Albert was going to be playing Pixies music only -- plus many people have said they are going there -- so that pretty much made the decision for me. When are we all planning to go there?
Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  19:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It had something to do with the liquor laws and what kind of establishment they were classified as. Apparently they had more flexibility if they became a "members only" club. However, $5 CDN buys you a life time membership, which I'm sure is less then the cover charge at many places.

http://www.wguides.com/city/499/127_287192.cfm

The link above gives a brief writeup and picture of the place.
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  19:06:07  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can just walk up to the door and pay the membership fee? In that case maybe we will go there for dinner, then move on to the Albert. How far apart are these places, and where are they in respect to the venue? From what I have heard, the Albert and the Burton Cummings Theatre are pretty close to each other.
Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  19:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another cool link. It has all the restaurants in the vacinity of the Walker. Just scoll over the dot at it'll give you the name and location. The Wagon Wheel on Hargrave has the best Club House sandwich you can ever have. They're only open until 6pm, so it would make a great stop for lunch.

http://www.downtownwinnipegbiz.com/index/restaurant_map_12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000