Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  09:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya seroiulsy hats off to u guys. Lottery sounds fair or something, draw straws haha
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  09:57:17  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that Paypal and mailing is a good idea, but I for one want to make sure the person who gets the tickets is the same person sitting next to me at the show. If I get there and hear, "Wow I got these tickets for $150 each on Ebay" I'm going to find the person who sold my tickets and beat them senseless. (but then I will still enjoy the show)

I agree if I was one of the people who didn't get tickets, though, I wouldn't want to wait until the day of the show to get my tickets either... I can just see driving all the way to Winnipeg and finding out I had no tickets after all. This is a tricky question (ticket delivery)...how do we know the buyer is sincere? When do we send the tickets so that they do not turn up on ebay?
_____

In another story, I just want to say that before joining this board, my original plan was to sell my extras on ebay. I thought that I could help pay for my trip that way. However, after seeing this community of true Pixies fans, and learning that even if I didn't get tickets I might have a chance to get some anyway, I totally changed my mind. I would much rather have my tickets go to real fans!
Go to Top of Page

Alpha Soixante
- FB Fan -

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  10:14:47  Show Profile  Visit Alpha Soixante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd like to add my sincere thanks to everyone on the list for trying for extra tickets--especially to those that got them and are keeping their word. We really appreciate it. (And Mattb's efforts are amazing--can we set up a donation fund to cut his travel expenses or something?)

quote:
This is a tricky question (ticket delivery)...how do we know the buyer is sincere? When do we send the tickets so that they do not turn up on ebay?

I can't think of any fool-proof way of preventing this. Even on the day of the show people could scalp them for a higher price if they've already got some. At some point, I think we all just have to take the risk. It's a risk for both buyer and seller, and I think protecting the honest listees getting their tickets is a higher priority than preventing scalpers.

As for methods, lottery seems fair. We might start by pairing up according to numbers (1, 2, 3 seats that are together) and maybe by location too (so at least some would have the added security of getting them in person in advance). Then the rest of the first list could be by lottery. There's still the question of how to match them up--since there's a lot of "need 2"s, etc.

I think the first-come, first-serve is fair for the late list, though people on that list should say what they prefer.
Go to Top of Page

liffey
- FB Fan -

36 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  10:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently there has been a miscommunication. Someone saw my message on the other messageboard and assumed I had "jumped ship". Thanks for your faith in me. The truth is, I have an extra ticket for you all, which I can still give if you want it. The message on the other mb was because my friend (who is completely unrelated to this forum) managed to also get an extra and I was trying to sell it for him. It's a shame you all were trying to ruin the good name of Liffey here though. You all don't know me personally, so you don't realize how much I love the Pixies. I want this show to be the best show possible, and that means the more fans, the better. Anyway, I look forward to seeing all of you there and hopefully I can still take part in planning this forum's Winnipeg plans!
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  10:40:03  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know I speak for many others here when I say we are a little sensitive to the scalping issue at the moment. Sort of when you go to the airport, you might want to make a joke about having a bomb in your pants, but you're pretty sure if you do you may end up getting locked in a small room somewhere?

I have said before (and again, now) that I want my two tickets to go to people who are real Pixies fans. After all, I have to stand next to these people at the concert (who said anything about sitting?) and I hope they are as die-hard and happy as I am to be there...Maybe even happier because they didn't have to buy their tickets from a scalper. So any post that brings into question a person's intentions here will likely be scrutinized.

What would you do if you saw one of the scalpers on eBay had a username "PORKBONE"?
Go to Top of Page

Alpha Soixante
- FB Fan -

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  10:49:07  Show Profile  Visit Alpha Soixante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Liffey, glad to hear that. Sorry about the mistake, though I think it's an understandable one given the circumstances--a post here at the same time as your post at the other site would have cleared things up. My apologies all the same.

I've been thinking about this ticket mailing issue, and I'm beginning to think it's a non-issue. If I mail someone's ticket to them right away, they could turn around and sell it on ebay. But if I don't mail it right away, _I_ could turn around and sell it on ebay. So it looks like the risk is the same either way.

Edited by - Alpha Soixante on 02/22/2004 10:50:30
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  11:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies Liffey ... your good name is being cleared as we speak.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  11:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No point in matching the 2's with the 2's since there are so many. Those would be by lottery unless we can match by location. We won't match by quantity or location though without the buyer's consent. So I'll post the hypothetical matchings before anything is etched in stone.

Anyone confirmed as a buyer or seller on the lottery list, please post (or e-mail me with) your location. Buyers list how far they'd be willing to drive to meet with a seller (or, if you are a seller and an absolute saint, how far you would drive to meet a buyer -- but that buyer had better buy you a couple beers). Also, any buyers who would prefer to get their tickets just by lottery rather than matching, let me know -- but again, you will still have one last chance to object once I/we post the hypothetical matchings.
Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  11:13:41  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the kind compliments guys! I'm just happy to help other fans. I'd expect anyone else who would be in my position to do the same. I'd be fine with drawing the names if everyone wants me to.

About how to hand the tickets over to people. Since I'm in the hole for about $700 I would rather get my money and mail them out sooner than later. For me personally I would prefer paypal and if you really can't use paypal then a money order shipped to me first then once I get it I send out the tickets. About shipping them out I recommend everyone uses registered mail. The last thing we want happening is tickets getting lost in the mail.

Porkbone, I am dying of jealousy about your extra tickets in the front row of the first balcony. I really want to be able to take pictures of the show and although the tickets I'm going to use aren't bad (section A row 14) I would love if I could sit in the balcony to get an unobstructed vantage point. The balcony tickets I have are further back. Would it be possible if I could buy your tickets off you and put the 2 tickets I was going to use in the draw? Would anyone be opposed if I bought Porkbone's tickets off him and sold my tickets to someone else on the board? If not it's totally cool. I know it would be kind of twisting the whole draw.

-----------------------
http://www.geocities.com/kittridge1/
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  11:43:06  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Winnipeg! My Monster Post.

First, let me congratulate you on getting seats! I didn't, but I will play the good ambassador for the city, anyways.

Crappy Slogan "Winnipeg, One Great City".

What's truly great in April?:

Assiniboine Park/The Zoo, if it's a warm sunny day, it's the place to be, start in the conservatory and butterfly house, spend the morning strolling through English Gardens, the afternoon looking at sleepy animals, Winnie-the-Pooh Poohseum or the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden, early diner at Tavern on the Green in the Pavilion and then off to the show, ahhh.

Portage and Main (Fifty Below), we don't have much but what we got is at this corner, now and historically. It had once been called the most famous intersection in Canada, the windiest intersection, coldest intersection, busiest intersection, it's near where the 1919 General Strike boiled over, where Bobby Hull signed the first million dollar contract in hockey. But just to screw with you...you can't walk across it. In fact it's a living metaphor for the little city that couldn't.

Accommodations:

You're never more than 40 minutes from anywhere to any place in the city, and never more than 20 minutes from downtown, it would be difficult to go completely wrong.

The venue (a classic) is at the South-West corner of the Exchange District.

The Marlborough Hotel is across a small parking lot, The Delta is down the street, The Fairmont (Lombard), The Sheraton, The Place Louis Riel, The Hotel Fort Garry (also a classic), The Crown Plaza and the new Hampton are all very nice and close. The Charter House is all-right.

The Norwood which has a rockin' bar is just South of downtown on Marion and St. Mary's Road over the Assiniboine River and is very affordable.
If you want an evening to remember there is Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel in the Exchange, the type of place newlyweds go, can't be much demand on a Wednesday. There may be somewhere else I've forgotten, I can't vouch for anything else downtown.

Where you'll find me:

On a Wednesday after work if I go anywhere it's to the King's Head Pub, just down King Street from the Theatre. They have a $5.00 life-time membership fee, but visitors can be signed in by willing members, just tell them why you're there. Francis and Glenn good bartenders. On Sundays they have a band called All the King's Men with Bass legend Spider.

After the show:

The Windsor Hotel isn't very pretty but, wow what a place to see Blues.
The Albert isn't pretty either but is a storied old heavy music venue.

The Pyramid (I could tell you stories: Tupelo Chain Sex, Bob's Your Uncle, The Tragically Hip) isn't quite the place it was, but I suspect they will make a point to have someone playing that night.

I will let it be known what else is going on that week.

You might like:

Into-The-Music, used records now in the Exchange.

Osborne Village and the Corydon Avenue strip (South of the Assiniboine River, South of the Legislature on Osborne) go have a pint at the Toad-in-the-Hole and then shop! There are dozens and dozens and dozens of good restaurants.

Le Chateau Outlet Store, North of Polo Park and Winnipeg Stadium, for your cheap yet fashionable set.

The Forks Market & Johnston Terminal, previously unique but every city has one of these places now.

There's a small used CD shop up Henderson called Planet of Sound...heh.

Restaurants:

Lots of food to be eaten.

Very Nice Restaurants:

Amici's, Dubrovnik's, 529 Wellington (for $100 steaks).

Nice Restaurants:

Medicine Rock Cafe is a few miles West of town and used to be worth every minute of the drive, hit and miss the last couple of times I went.

Green Gates is West of the city on Roblin Blvd. and is always worth the drive.

If you're staying by Polo Park, Rae and Jerry's is very good and has fooffy drinks.

Restaurants I like:

Magic Thailand on Logan (order from 1-5 by pain threshold, just a beautiful family-run restaurant gem, in a rough little area. Please take a car or taxi).

Muddy Waters and The Old Spaghetti Factory at the Forks.

Maxime's South on Pembina, outstanding and inexpensive a small hint of the big Mennonite culture.

Bangkok Thai in Osborne Village.

To Order Pizza: Pizza is considered Fine Dining.

Gondola thin-crust greasy Pizza, the best!

Santa-Lucia Pizza on the way to the Norwood Hotel just over the bridge, have the Greek Pizza, it's amazing.

For a nice sit, The Bella-Vista sometimes has live music.

On the Cheap:

Alycia's Restaurant in the North End, World Famous Perogies. How did John Candy get so big? This is the spot.

Mitsie's World Famous Chicken Wings (their words not mine) next to the Windsor.

The Burger Factory (On Portage Avenue).

V.J.'s Drive-inn next to the Toad-On-Main near the Fort Garry.

The Chocolate Shop (had very good chicken wings, I honestly haven't been there in years).

Kilekis up Main St. is a local favourite.

Other Choices:

Dimsum Garden is supposed to be amazing.

There's always a new restaurant at the haunted Masonic Temple Building next to the theatre, I have no idea what it might be called now, which is good because restaurants there start off great and decline.

The Promenade at Niakwa Golf Course is supposed to be very, very posh.

The River Mandarin, The Velvet Glove Lounge at the Fairmont ($$$), Bailey's, Remmington's, Ichiban (a cook at your table puts on a show).

There has been a restaurant called Zorba's, a wonderful place, but not the one of 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' fame, Nia Vardalas' family's restaurant is Bellamy's.

You might see:

Our new pedestrian bridge with the "million dollar toilet" which connects the Forks to St. Boniface and the Cathedral Ruins.

Drive Wellington Crescent to Assiniboine park, it's not quite, but is just a bit like the park ways in Kansas City.

Drive up Main St. (Hwy 9) to River Road (road 238) past St. Andrews Church (the one with all the rumors) and go up to Skinner's in Lockport for a hotdog, over the rickety Lockport bridge then back down Henderson, and stop at the Half-Moon for a hotdog!

Musicians (Guitarists) might like:

The Ultimate Guitar Works up Main St., vintage guitars run by one-time Guess Who drummer Brian Tataran, he has a little Gibson L-48 right now.

Bobby Bilan, one-time Guess Who guitarist runs a vintage guitar store in Osborne Village.

Gar Gilles has been working with tube amps (www.garnetamps.com) for longer than you've been alive.

Unfortunately you will be too early for the Goldeyes or the Blue Bombers and 10 years too late for hockey...that reminds me, don't mention the Jets, if we get drunk enough we'll tell you all about it, and you don't want to see grown men cry, anyways!

Brent.

Getting here:

I-29 (Hwy 75) and the Trans-Canada, about 3 hours North of Fargo (I-94) and 2 hours North of Grand Forks, 45 minutes from the border.

Getting Around:

Our great mayor is going to spend money to make this easier, but really we only have so many streets.

There is a rather useless Perimeter highway (101 or 100), then the city is mostly a big grid.

Downtown is all one-ways and some are blocked for construction, good luck!

We have a route system that isn't well used, but the translation is easy. East-West Avenues are odd numbers, North-South Streets are Even.

North-South Routes from East to West
Route 20 is Lagimodiere (aka 59)
Route 30 is Archibald
Route 42 is Henderson, Princess (South) and King (North), Donald (South) and Fort (North) and Pembina. The Burton Cummings Theatre is near this route.
Route 150 is St. Anne's
Route 52 is Main and St. Mary's Road (Not St. Mary Avenue).
Route 62 is Osborne.
Route 70 is Maryland (North) and Sherbrooke (South).
Route 80 is Waverly.
Route 180 is McPhillips.
Route 90 is Brookside, King Edward, Century and Kennaston.
Route 96 is Moray.

East-West Routes from North to South
Route 23 is Leila.
Route 25 is Inkster.
Route 37 is Nairn and Regent.
Route 47 is Logan.
Route 57 is Notre Dame then Notre Dame and Cumberland, Provencher.
Route 85 is Portage (Trans-Canada Hwy #1 West).
Route 95 is Corydon and then Roblin.
Route 105 is Grant and the West part of Roblin.
Route 115 is Marion and Dugald.
Route 135 is Fermor (Trans-Canada Hwy #1 East).
Route 145 is Wilkes.
Route 155 is McGillivray.
Route 165 is Bishop Grandon.

Yes, there are some pretty unhealthy places to be in the city, please use common sense.

Go to Top of Page

Alpha Soixante
- FB Fan -

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  12:04:23  Show Profile  Visit Alpha Soixante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, Hhands or others from the area: is there a Guy Maddin's Guide to Winnipeg? (http://www.imagesjournal.com/issue09/reviews/maddin/text.htm) He seems like a real slicin' up eyeballs kind of guy. I'd buy him a beer.

Edited by - Alpha Soixante on 02/22/2004 12:07:57
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  12:28:14  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whoops, Maxime's is South on St. Mary's Road. And replace Chicken Wings with Chicken Fingers for the restaurants.
Go to Top of Page

jvince
- FB Fan -

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  12:31:42  Show Profile  Click to see jvince's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used to work in a video store in Winnipeg, and Guy Maddin was in there all the time renting movies. He's a pretty cool guy, we got into some interesting conversations. Never any late fees and his girlfriend is about half his age (sounds about right for a director).

For the extra tickets, I counted the extras with the list of potential buyers and I think we might all be covered. My vote's for matching buyers with sellers, and I find paypal, money order, or direct meetings will be best methods of payment. I'm looking forward to drinking with all of you at the Albert and rocking out to what's going to be the best concert of our lives.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  13:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are any of the people with extras in the Winnipeg area? So far it looks like there are at least two buyers in Winnipeg.
Go to Top of Page

Qris
- FB Fan -

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  13:18:47  Show Profile  Visit Qris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I live about 5 doors from Guy Maddin. Tho I haven't seen him in a while so he may have moved... but you used to be able to watch the man mow the lawn at the corner of mcmillan and daly. Odd the world always went Black and White and vaguely eerie whenever he did...
Go to Top of Page

RussT
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  13:47:57  Show Profile  Click to see RussT's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm in Winnipeg, so if necessary I can meet anyone here that is selling tickets.

FYI, my email is rtychonick@shaw.ca.

quote:
Originally posted by roomloo

No point in matching the 2's with the 2's since there are so many. Those would be by lottery unless we can match by location. We won't match by quantity or location though without the buyer's consent. So I'll post the hypothetical matchings before anything is etched in stone.

Anyone confirmed as a buyer or seller on the lottery list, please post (or e-mail me with) your location. Buyers list how far they'd be willing to drive to meet with a seller (or, if you are a seller and an absolute saint, how far you would drive to meet a buyer -- but that buyer had better buy you a couple beers). Also, any buyers who would prefer to get their tickets just by lottery rather than matching, let me know -- but again, you will still have one last chance to object once I/we post the hypothetical matchings.

Go to Top of Page

RussT
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  13:52:54  Show Profile  Click to see RussT's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think you mean Provence at the Niakwa Golf and Country Club. It is excellent.

quote:
Originally posted by hhands

Welcome to Winnipeg! My Monster Post.

First, let me congratulate you on getting seats! I didn't, but I will play the good ambassador for the city, anyways.

Crappy Slogan "Winnipeg, One Great City".

What's truly great in April?:

Assiniboine Park/The Zoo, if it's a warm sunny day, it's the place to be, start in the conservatory and butterfly house, spend the morning strolling through English Gardens, the afternoon looking at sleepy animals, Winnie-the-Pooh Poohseum or the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden, early diner at Tavern on the Green in the Pavilion and then off to the show, ahhh.

Portage and Main (Fifty Below), we don't have much but what we got is at this corner, now and historically. It had once been called the most famous intersection in Canada, the windiest intersection, coldest intersection, busiest intersection, it's near where the 1919 General Strike boiled over, where Bobby Hull signed the first million dollar contract in hockey. But just to screw with you...you can't walk across it. In fact it's a living metaphor for the little city that couldn't.

Accommodations:

You're never more than 40 minutes from anywhere to any place in the city, and never more than 20 minutes from downtown, it would be difficult to go completely wrong.

The venue (a classic) is at the South-West corner of the Exchange District.

The Marlborough Hotel is across a small parking lot, The Delta is down the street, The Fairmont (Lombard), The Sheraton, The Place Louis Riel, The Hotel Fort Garry (also a classic), The Crown Plaza and the new Hampton are all very nice and close. The Charter House is all-right.

The Norwood which has a rockin' bar is just South of downtown on Marion and St. Mary's Road over the Assiniboine River and is very affordable.
If you want an evening to remember there is Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel in the Exchange, the type of place newlyweds go, can't be much demand on a Wednesday. There may be somewhere else I've forgotten, I can't vouch for anything else downtown.

Where you'll find me:

On a Wednesday after work if I go anywhere it's to the King's Head Pub, just down King Street from the Theatre. They have a $5.00 life-time membership fee, but visitors can be signed in by willing members, just tell them why you're there. Francis and Glenn good bartenders. On Sundays they have a band called All the King's Men with Bass legend Spider.

After the show:

The Windsor Hotel isn't very pretty but, wow what a place to see Blues.
The Albert isn't pretty either but is a storied old heavy music venue.

The Pyramid (I could tell you stories: Tupelo Chain Sex, Bob's Your Uncle, The Tragically Hip) isn't quite the place it was, but I suspect they will make a point to have someone playing that night.

I will let it be known what else is going on that week.

You might like:

Into-The-Music, used records now in the Exchange.

Osborne Village and the Corydon Avenue strip (South of the Assiniboine River, South of the Legislature on Osborne) go have a pint at the Toad-in-the-Hole and then shop! There are dozens and dozens and dozens of good restaurants.

Le Chateau Outlet Store, North of Polo Park and Winnipeg Stadium, for your cheap yet fashionable set.

The Forks Market & Johnston Terminal, previously unique but every city has one of these places now.

There's a small used CD shop up Henderson called Planet of Sound...heh.

Restaurants:

Lots of food to be eaten.

Very Nice Restaurants:

Amici's, Dubrovnik's, 529 Wellington (for $100 steaks).

Nice Restaurants:

Medicine Rock Cafe is a few miles West of town and used to be worth every minute of the drive, hit and miss the last couple of times I went.

Green Gates is West of the city on Roblin Blvd. and is always worth the drive.

If you're staying by Polo Park, Rae and Jerry's is very good and has fooffy drinks.

Restaurants I like:

Magic Thailand on Logan (order from 1-5 by pain threshold, just a beautiful family-run restaurant gem, in a rough little area. Please take a car or taxi).

Muddy Waters and The Old Spaghetti Factory at the Forks.

Maxime's South on Pembina, outstanding and inexpensive a small hint of the big Mennonite culture.

Bangkok Thai in Osborne Village.

To Order Pizza: Pizza is considered Fine Dining.

Gondola thin-crust greasy Pizza, the best!

Santa-Lucia Pizza on the way to the Norwood Hotel just over the bridge, have the Greek Pizza, it's amazing.

For a nice sit, The Bella-Vista sometimes has live music.

On the Cheap:

Alycia's Restaurant in the North End, World Famous Perogies. How did John Candy get so big? This is the spot.

Mitsie's World Famous Chicken Wings (their words not mine) next to the Windsor.

The Burger Factory (On Portage Avenue).

V.J.'s Drive-inn next to the Toad-On-Main near the Fort Garry.

The Chocolate Shop (had very good chicken wings, I honestly haven't been there in years).

Kilekis up Main St. is a local favourite.

Other Choices:

Dimsum Garden is supposed to be amazing.

There's always a new restaurant at the haunted Masonic Temple Building next to the theatre, I have no idea what it might be called now, which is good because restaurants there start off great and decline.

The Promenade at Niakwa Golf Course is supposed to be very, very posh.

The River Mandarin, The Velvet Glove Lounge at the Fairmont ($$$), Bailey's, Remmington's, Ichiban (a cook at your table puts on a show).

There has been a restaurant called Zorba's, a wonderful place, but not the one of 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' fame, Nia Vardalas' family's restaurant is Bellamy's.

You might see:

Our new pedestrian bridge with the "million dollar toilet" which connects the Forks to St. Boniface and the Cathedral Ruins.

Drive Wellington Crescent to Assiniboine park, it's not quite, but is just a bit like the park ways in Kansas City.

Drive up Main St. (Hwy 9) to River Road (road 238) past St. Andrews Church (the one with all the rumors) and go up to Skinner's in Lockport for a hotdog, over the rickety Lockport bridge then back down Henderson, and stop at the Half-Moon for a hotdog!

Musicians (Guitarists) might like:

The Ultimate Guitar Works up Main St., vintage guitars run by one-time Guess Who drummer Brian Tataran, he has a little Gibson L-48 right now.

Bobby Bilan, one-time Guess Who guitarist runs a vintage guitar store in Osborne Village.

Gar Gilles has been working with tube amps (www.garnetamps.com) for longer than you've been alive.

Unfortunately you will be too early for the Goldeyes or the Blue Bombers and 10 years too late for hockey...that reminds me, don't mention the Jets, if we get drunk enough we'll tell you all about it, and you don't want to see grown men cry, anyways!

Brent.

Getting here:

I-29 (Hwy 75) and the Trans-Canada, about 3 hours North of Fargo (I-94) and 2 hours North of Grand Forks, 45 minutes from the border.

Getting Around:

Our great mayor is going to spend money to make this easier, but really we only have so many streets.

There is a rather useless Perimeter highway (101 or 100), then the city is mostly a big grid.

Downtown is all one-ways and some are blocked for construction, good luck!

We have a route system that isn't well used, but the translation is easy. East-West Avenues are odd numbers, North-South Streets are Even.

North-South Routes from East to West
Route 20 is Lagimodiere (aka 59)
Route 30 is Archibald
Route 42 is Henderson, Princess (South) and King (North), Donald (South) and Fort (North) and Pembina. The Burton Cummings Theatre is near this route.
Route 150 is St. Anne's
Route 52 is Main and St. Mary's Road (Not St. Mary Avenue).
Route 62 is Osborne.
Route 70 is Maryland (North) and Sherbrooke (South).
Route 80 is Waverly.
Route 180 is McPhillips.
Route 90 is Brookside, King Edward, Century and Kennaston.
Route 96 is Moray.

East-West Routes from North to South
Route 23 is Leila.
Route 25 is Inkster.
Route 37 is Nairn and Regent.
Route 47 is Logan.
Route 57 is Notre Dame then Notre Dame and Cumberland, Provencher.
Route 85 is Portage (Trans-Canada Hwy #1 West).
Route 95 is Corydon and then Roblin.
Route 105 is Grant and the West part of Roblin.
Route 115 is Marion and Dugald.
Route 135 is Fermor (Trans-Canada Hwy #1 East).
Route 145 is Wilkes.
Route 155 is McGillivray.
Route 165 is Bishop Grandon.

Yes, there are some pretty unhealthy places to be in the city, please use common sense.

Go to Top of Page

gkd
- FB Fan -

13 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  14:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add my vote to the Kingshead. I'll be happy to sign in someone who does not have a membership. Winnipeg is definitely 'no smoking' in any indoor public place.

If there's anyone from out of town who arrives early (like on the 13th) and is a Neil Young fan, I'd happily take you on a walking/driving (depending on the weather) tour around the neighbourhood he grew up in. Just drop me an email and we can arrange it! The tour is free, of course!

Take care
gkd
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  14:44:42  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, mattb, I managed to get Section A row 14, too. Looks like we'll be neighbors at the show!

"And her head has no room."
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  14:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Updated list:

---- original people needing tickets (* means confirmed -- PLEASE let us know if your name is here with no asterisk) ----
* RussT (need 2)
* The Champ (needs 3)
* Taxman75 / LoganZ (needs 1)
* jackanapes (needs 2)
* deaddack (need 1)
* jvince (need 2)
* roomloo (need 3)
* ziggystardust (need 2)
* indarkjoy (need 2)
beergeek (need 2)
* selfescape (need 2)
* Alpha Soixante (need 2)
* Pixiesarethegreatest (need 2-3, willing to settle for 2)
* Kyle (needs 2)
* Prozacrat (needs 2)

---- post-sale people needing tickets -----
* johnny_4_president (need 2)
* debaserjones (2-4)
* boseph (1)
* rexella (3)
* gkd (3)
* qris (2)
* travolante (3)
* Ediger (2)
* mjazac (4)
* hhands (1)

---- extras (*= confirmed, **=re-confirmed since 2/22/04) ----
* EdBudd (4)
* surferben (1)
* Havalina (2)
* MattB (16)
** GratefulJason3 (3)
havinganyfun (1 - tentative)
* solace (2/3)
chrischob (1 - tenatative)
** liffey (1)
deathorglory (2 - tentative)
kelly (?)
* brysonmeunier (2)
* porkbone1 (2)

Edited by - roomloo on 02/23/2004 06:31:52
Go to Top of Page

havinganyfun
- FB Fan -

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  15:05:58  Show Profile  Click to see havinganyfun's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i may have one extra. my plans got a little f**ked, i will confirm my one or not in the next day or two.

give them blood and they'll love you for it
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  15:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI, hhands has asked to be added to the post-sale list and since we've decided that the post-sale tickets will be doled out first come-first serve, I don't see any problem with adding him. However, if anyone objects, such as if anyone else refrained from requesting a place on the list because it was after yesterday's 3pm deadline, to be fair I'll just re-instate that deadline and take hhands off the list.

Although the question should be asked -- while it has been decided that post-sale is first come-first serve, should the first person on the list get all of the tickets they requested (assuming there are any left), or should we first try and give one ticket to each?
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  16:06:06  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mattb -

I have no problem if you want to get my 2 tickets and put your others in the pool. The location would be the absolute best for taking pictures, as far as unobstructed view is concerned. Plus it would be a bonus to know we have some true Pixies fans next to us. Of course we don't **actually** have the tickets yet, but my credit card has an authorization hold on it which equals $143 CAD!!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  16:15:15  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hhands or anyone else from Winnipeg --

Where can I get some good Poutine?

Chris
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  16:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mentioned that I would try to tell the story of my crazy morning when tickets went on sale so here it is. I had arranged to meet someone I have never met that is a fellow poster at the newwinnipeg forums *plug*. I have access to the mall through the security entrance because I am an employee there. The plan was to get in at 645am, that's 15 minutes before they open the mall to the public. For those online the night before the sale, the 12 pack idea was great at being able to let me sleep but I forgot how much that much beer could impair your alarm clock response in the morning. Needless to say I woke up an hour later then planned. I got into freak mode. I turned on the coffee maker, washed my face and brushed, called a cab and poured my coffee into a travel mug. I was going to make it in time; the gods and the Pixies were with me.
I stepped out my back door and onto the stairs which had become covered in ice during the night. My feet flew out from underneath me and I fell a$$ first down 15-20 stairs spilling hot coffee all over myself. I didn't have time to go and change because cabs arrive quickly. I was groggy as hell, my jeans and jacket were soaking in coffee and I had a huge cut on my left hand. Fortunately the cabbie had some tissues so I didn't look like a completely crazy, internet stalker guy who was meeting some young girl with 140.00 at the mall before the public would be around. As I was paying the cabbie with my CC I noticed that security was actually opening the doors. Nooooooooooo! I met Sullen and we headered for the TM counter. We were the first! The first people showed up about 5-10 minutes later. Fantastic morning, met lots of great fans and saw a friend that I haven't seen in a year.
The line-up was about 20 deep when TM opened and the one staff member was awesome at prepping the people further back to get on their phones and forms of payment that were the fastest. I felt good about not being a douchebag with a debit card. Only the first 3 purchasers in our line-up got tickets. I have really mixed emotions about how quickly the tics went.
Even though my back and arms and a$$ are covered in cuts and bruises, the adrenalin that is pumping through my body has made the pain a lot more endurable to bare. I felt like I won a lottery.

BTW Eli you're welcome to crash here but when you say "hammered". If it means that I have to carry you back here then it might not be the best choice.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  16:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still waiting on a few confirmations. It would be nice to do this exchange in the middle or end of the week. The major wait will be on people making sure their tickets are confirmed from Ticketmaster, but at some point we need to stop waiting for people to confirm their needing/having tickets. I have written pixiesarethegreatest at least once, hopefully he/she will respond. beergeek has no contact info in his/her profile so we can only wait for him/her to post. We've gotten good response from the people with extras, but still waiting on Kelly.

As for the "needing tickets" people, I suppose we should just take them off the list if we haven't heard from them by the time of the lottery ... guys let me know if you have any suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

Qris
- FB Fan -

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  16:31:36  Show Profile  Visit Qris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
can't think of anywhere other than Burger King that sells poutine. There might be places in StBoniface. Maybe one of the Montrealers can bring some in their carry-on? Or are their post-9/11 poutine restrictions I am not taking into account?
Go to Top of Page

pixiesarethegreatest
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  16:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roomloo

I was unable to get tickets I even used the computer at work it's a T1 line I thought I would get through but no go. I said before I needed 3 but if there are 2 tickets available for me I will be indebted for life. I have been trying other sources to get tickets, friends of friends etc but nothing as of yet. I live in Winnipeg and if the radio stations here got any tickets I will be entering any contests to get tickets. Congrats to everyone who got tickets!

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Alpha Soixante
- FB Fan -

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  16:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Alpha Soixante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in central Toronto. Can pick up tickets anywhere that's reasonably near the TTC.
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  17:02:34  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I heard of a place in Winnipeg called Aladdin's Pizza which I guess has Poutine. I have only had it in Vancouver, B.C. but I understand I should go to Quebec to really get the good stuff.
Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  17:03:41  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Alpha, I live in Toronto so if you get chosen for tickets you should get them from me. Anyone else from Toronto waiting to get tickets?

-----------------------
http://www.geocities.com/kittridge1/

Edited by - mattb on 02/22/2004 17:07:18
Go to Top of Page

liffey
- FB Fan -

36 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  17:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alpha Soixante

Liffey, glad to hear that. Sorry about the mistake, though I think it's an understandable one given the circumstances--a post here at the same time as your post at the other site would have cleared things up. My apologies all the same.

I've been thinking about this ticket mailing issue, and I'm beginning to think it's a non-issue. If I mail someone's ticket to them right away, they could turn around and sell it on ebay. But if I don't mail it right away, _I_ could turn around and sell it on ebay. So it looks like the risk is the same either way.

Once again, sorry, but I couldn't post here and confirm until I knew if I even had an extra. I'm driving all the way from NY so I had to check with my friends to see who was going to commit to the concert. Most of my friends are Pixies fans, but surprisingly few were willing to actually go on the road trip with me, because it's in the middle of the week and they have school/work. Seriously, these people have to get their priorities straight.

Edited by - liffey on 02/22/2004 17:10:00
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  17:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liffey, so we can try and possibly match you up with a buyer by location ... where in NY are you located?

You can respond to me by e-mail if you'd rather not divulge in public...
Go to Top of Page

havinganyfun
- FB Fan -

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  18:15:08  Show Profile  Click to see havinganyfun's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i live in a small town called brandon near winnipeg, and provided the restaurants are the same there, both KFC and A&W have rockin poutine, very different experiences, but both very good.

give them blood and they'll love you for it
Go to Top of Page

beatnik
- FB Fan -

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  18:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Valdi said telephone and Internet lines opened up at 10 a.m., and by 10:04 a.m. there was nothing left. About 70% of fans purchased tickets on the Internet, with accounts stretching from New Jersey to Montreal to Connecticut, Michigan, L.A., and New York.

Well I know who the Jersey account was for....hehe...

You know I often read this board but did not post until the recent reunion. It makes me smile to know that so many people from all over are just as excited and willing to travel as I am. It got me wondering where everyone is from. Given that fact that many of us will be traveling from far away (and even meeting to exchange tickets in some cases and at the very least perhaps downing some beers together before the show) it probably makes sense for everyone to identify where they are located (and perhaps their age if they aren't opposed). Maybe everyone could also just briefly state when they were first exposed to the Pixies and at what moment they became their favorite band (if they even are your favorite). Being a board newby (although I have been on the site since its inception, and used "On the 8th Day God created.." for years before that) I understand that many of you may already exchanged this info. Given recent devlopments though, I thought it might be helpful to restate things. I mean geez, a lot of us are traveling a long way and are going to be sharing a great experience together (and may of you are relying on the each others trust just to get tickets to begin with). I haven't ever traveled this far to see a family member for God's sake. In closing though, congrats to everyone on the site who has taken an interest in helping their fellow Pixies fans. It is great to see.

Oh, so I live in NJ. If I can assist anyone from my location, let me know. I am 28 years old. I first heard the Pixies in 1990 when I bought the soundtrack to the cheesy movie "Pump Up the Volume." Of course Wave of Mutilation caught my attention so I bought Doolittle. At the time I liked the album but it did not transform me into a Pixies maniac (I don't think I was that open minded yet). Long story short, it made its way back into my life around 96 (when my car was stolen and the tape deck in my rental lead me back to some old tapes in the bottom of my closet). I was immediately captivated by it. I bought every album and single ever released by the band. I did the same with FB and friends, along with catching every local show by the man since (4 in all). But anyway, I am rambling now. To summarize, and hopefully everyone will do the same, I:

-live in NJ
-am 28
-first got into the Pixies in 90
-have never seen them live, seen FB and company 4x

Look forward to learning a bit about all of you and meeting you at the shows...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000